Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Love the amazing vibes off that long run - nabbing a Pb to boot! Excellent - really well done - the committment of training is standing to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats on the PB - Imagine if you went hard at it and didn't hold back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats on the PB - Imagine if you went hard at it and didn't hold back!!

Thanks. I’m going to have to next year! It just wasn’t the time for it last night even though I was capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done K, super week! A 10m PB without any taper and the last 10m of a 17.5m at 4hr marathon pace are both very very impressive things to take away - i'd be taking a real confidence boost from that if i was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Amazing stuff! Congrats on the PB. I'm really delighted to see you back running confidently, too. Really great week.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done K, super week! A 10m PB without any taper and the last 10m of a 17.5m at 4hr marathon pace are both very very impressive things to take away - i'd be taking a real confidence boost from that if i was you.

Ah it was a soft pb. Sure my HM pace in Killarney was 9:02 I think and this was 9:07 so not quite a real pb but at least it’s a nice one there for beating whenever I get the chance.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Amazing stuff! Congrats on the PB. I'm really delighted to see you back running confidently, too. Really great week.

Thanks Huzzah. Yes, back enjoying running now. Will still need a few sessions of physio to get me to the start line but much more confident about that now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done again on the PB the easy miles before it suited you :D great to see you all doing so well :)

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Ah it was a soft pb. Sure my HM pace in Killarney was 9:02 I think and this was 9:07 so not quite a real pb but at least it’s a nice one there for beating whenever I get the chance.

Thanks Huzzah. Yes, back enjoying running now. Will still need a few sessions of physio to get me to the start line but much more confident about that now too.

It's still a soft PB :p But it was a very very strong long run at this stage of marathon training K and that's what my praise was directed at. From where i'm standing you must be in a really good place to be able run a 17.5mile long run with the last 10 miles 15-20 seconds (?) faster than your planned marathon pace - that is outstanding. To be honest i'd start tapering now....ok well maybe not quite but another 4 solid weeks (don't go crazy - mind the body too) and i think you'll be high-fiving your way through yet another marathon ;)

It's still a soft PB :p But it was a very very strong long run at this stage of marathon training K and that's what my praise was directed at. From where i'm standing you must be in a really good place to be able run a 17.5mile long run with the last 10 miles 15-20 seconds (?) faster than your planned marathon pace - that is outstanding. To be honest i'd start tapering now....ok well maybe not quite but another 4 solid weeks (don't go crazy - mind the body too) and i think you'll be high-fiving your way through yet another marathon ;)

Ha ha! Hopefully my fans will be out again!! :D:D

Me!! I will high 5 you :) I plan on cycling around on my bike while tracking you all as best as I can :D

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Me!! I will high 5 you :) I plan on cycling around on my bike while tracking you all as best as I can :D

That will be brilliant. It’s so good to see people you know.

That will be brilliant. It’s so good to see people you know.

I will be in the pub for a pint as well :D

I'm sure they will and i bet you'll have some new ones as well ;)

Oh that'll be brilliant. Looking forward too seeing someone at the various points last year just got me through so much. I cried the last time i saw the hubby, around 23m, i was balling for the next half a mile - i think it hit then that i was going to finish, such a sad sap i am :o
    I will be in the pub for a pint as well :D

So will i this year :)

Ariana that will be me next year or when I run any marathon again

DCM Training 6 weeks to go

Monday: Planned 6 miles easy
    Actual: 6.2 miles @ 10:22

Nice easy run with a friend. Can’t remember too much about it really but enjoyed it.

Tuesday: Planned 7 mile tempo @ 8:50
    Actual: 5 min WU; 8:54, 8:35, 8:54, 8:46, 8:48, 8:53, 9:02; CD
    Total 8.5 miles

I normally do speed sessions on my own. A friend asked could she join me so was a bit nervous as I knew we’d be talking etc. Anyway, we set off. We started on a route rather than laps so a bit up and down. The effort definitely felt higher as we were talking. She left me about 4 miles in so I did laps of the pitches in the park then. I found it tough though and was very hot. I finished the last tempo mile on an uphill running out of the park and had to stop to get my breath after it and then walk a bit of my cool down. Definitely tougher than I anticipated.

Wednesday: Planned 6 miles easy
    Actual: 6.3 miles @ 10:15

I say planned but I’d no plan initially as had finished my months plan the day before and was waiting to get this months from the coach. I knew the weather was going to be really nice and having the mornings to myself is still a novelty so decided myself to do an easy run. I was solo parenting all week so wanted to make the most of the kids being in school. As it happened the coach got onto me the night before and told me do an easy run and he’d get the plan to me Wednesday morning.

So off I went by myself and had a lovely enjoyable run, beautiful weather and nice and relaxing.

New plan had arrived by the time I was finished and this takes me up to a week into taper time. Some heavy sessions in there but just the one a week and then the long runs and all easy around those. Sure I’ll give it a bash and see what happens!!

Thursday: Planned - rest or easy
    Actual 6 miles easyish @ 10:08

Coach had said I could move easy runs around as I see fit and I struggled with Sunday runs for the last few weeks so moved the 6 miles to Thursday to be able to rest tomorrow. Met the friend I did the tempo run with and off we went again. Bit faster than it should have been but it was grand.

Saturday: Planned 18 miles: 15 @ 9:40, 3 @ 9:28
    Actual: 15 @ 9:39; 3 @ 9:24

I was nervous about this. Tried to find company but nobody around and would have loved to go to Kilkenny for the 30km there but I’d have been divorced. Anyway, planned my route from an old one I’d saved on Google Pedometer last year and when I was driving there I decided I’d run it in such a way that I was pass8ng the car after the smaller 6 mile loop, grab water and then do the big loop.

I set off carrying one bottle of water in my flip belt and 2 gels. Slipped into the right pace straight away and pulled myself back a few times but I was so comfortable and in my happy zone from the start. I started a new audio book which turned out to be great and easy listening. I was happy out so decided I’d just keep going and do the 12 mile loop first altogether and wasn’t that warm so I’d enough water for that anyway. I’d included a few steep hills and a few drags on purpose as I wanted an overall average pace and wanted to see how I’d cope with that naturally with slowing down on the hills. Anyway it did all happen naturally. I never felt I was pushing myself to catch up or anything.

Got back to the car and drank some water that had a zero tablet in it and refilled my flipbelt bottle. Grabbed a caffeine gel I’d left in the car and stuffed it into my belt and off I went again. Slipped back into my pace no problems and was busy re calculating my route as had added a bit. Took the caffeine gel with 5 miles to go to see how it would work - didn’t feel any different to be honest. I started the last 3 miles on an uphill so didn’t think I’d hit the pace but no bother. Clocked in at 9:14. The second last mile is on an old railway line and thick tree cover and a few underpasses and my watch was telling me I was doing 15:xx at one stage and 13:xx etc. I knew it was just the gps mixed up as I was keeping the effort up and beginning to push a little bit I was annoyed when it beeped at 9:41. Didn’t change my pace and the last mile was 9:18. It averaged 9:24 so a nice strong finish and I felt great.

Absolutely delighted with that run. I enjoyed it, I felt strong and this is how running should be.

45 miles this week.

In other news I’m down 4lbs now and back into my smaller size tops. Spent the Summer in my larger ones. Hopefully will be down another 7lbs before DCM. At the same time, I’m not actively cutting out anything but rubbish. My meals are healthy and varied and needed for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great week K. Cracking run today.

Best of luck with the run in to taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Fab week of running and well done on the long run! Have my own dreaded one tomorrow!

DCM Training

This training is like a rollercoaster. No sooner do I get confident and think I’m flying along then something happens to put me firmly back in my box! Headed into this week thinking I was in a great place and ... well now I’m not again!

I was on weather watch and trying to figure out when best to do various runs based on the fact that we had Storms Helene, Ali, Bronagh and Florence coming our way. The plan for the week was 8miles easy, a session, 5 miles easy and 19 miles long run. I normally do the session on a Wednesday and forecast was very bad for that day so decided to do that Monday instead and fit in my easy runs wherever I could after that.

Monday: 4x2 miles @ 8:20 with 3 mins off

I knew this was going to be seriously tough. Did a 10 min WarmUp. Started the first rep and hit 8:16 for the first mile but was struggling and was down to 8:29 for the second. Decided to pull back slightly for the 2nd rep and did 8:25 and 8:37. No way could I keep this up. 8:53 and 9:29 next and then I gave up and just jogged easy to complete the distance. The gusts were really picking up towards the end but I managed to stay dry. 9.6 miles in total. Wasn’t overly bothered as I knew it was a tough session and I tried hard but emailed the coach as next week had a 5x2mile planned at 8:25 and I knew that wouldn’t be achievable. He amended it to make it more of a progression run starting the first two reps at 8:50 and getting faster subsequently. Looks like a fun session.

Tuesday: 8 miles easy

Set off at a nice easy pace and kept surprising myself when I’d look at my watch and see 9:4x. I thought I was just wonderful and the fitness had really kicked in and flying along. The forecast storm wasn’t anywhere to be seen ... or so I thought. I changed direction then and there was the wind - now I copped what was going on. Pace dropped to normal after that and the run wasn’t quite so easy. Not as wonderful as I though I was at all!! An English man stopped me on way way out of the park to ask for directions as he wanted to go do the Parkrun route and had run out from Cork to do it. I forgot to stop my watch then.

Wednesday - planned rest day

I was looking forward to this. Had lots of jobs to do. Got them done and went for coffee for myself with Runners World.

Thursday - 5 miles easy
    Awful awful weather and ikea were delivering an order so decided to use the treadmill. I hate treadmills but was ready to go on it when ikea arrived. Dithered about changing and going out but the rain put me off. Listened to my book and that really helped. I usually convince myself of all sorts of injuries and ailments to get me off the treadmill and this was no different. My right calf seemed twingey so I stopped at 4 miles and stretched and back on for the last mile. Didn’t bother me after so thought it was my imagination. Wished I’d gone out in the rain though. I do not enjoy treadmills ever and even though my pace was slower than normal it felt faster.

Saturday - planned 19 miles at 9:40
    Actual 4.2 miles 9:35, 9:28, 9:56, 9:34

Really looking forward to this in one way. I knew I was well able for it and had saved the last 3 hours of my book for it. The rain was awful and heavy but threw some spare stuff and a towel into the car. Took out my waterproof jacket and set off on the same route as last week. Only a few other lunatics out this morn running as well. Couldn’t see my watch without pulling up my sleep so just checked it every now and then. The pace felt easy and I was totally content. Was going up a hill in my 3rd mile and right calf started hurting a lot. I stopped to stretch it and continued on. It was really sore so stopped again and tried to massage it. Ouch. It was rock hard and so tender. Tried again thinking maybe I’d stop feeling it -eh no! I dithered about trying to keep going and then thought maybe I could just go home, foam roll and go out this eve and try the run again. Walked back to the car and could barely get my key out of my belt I was so cold and wet. Driving home was very sore and was hobbling round all day. Feet up now with heat on it and I’d physio booked for Tuesday anyway so hopefully it’s an easy fix. I kind of feel it is.

I am absolutely gutted at missing my long run though. I was so confident after the last two weeks that I’d have a good few weeks ahead of me. Hopefully one long run won’t make much difference. The other one I missed was a 12.5 mile one in a step back week. Next three weeks are planned to be 21, 20 and 16 miles so hopefully I’ll be able for all those. I was doing really well so hopefully this is just a blip! Roll on Tuesday. Physio will be torture but good torture.

Meanwhile delighted to see how well the Novices all did today in the HM in Dublin and Lazare and Browneyes79, my fellow grads got brilliant PBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Sounds like a tough aul week alright - really hope the physio sorts you out - don’t let the tough time get you down as all those good weeks are in the bank and will be standing to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Sorry to hear your long run didn't go to plan, sounds like you made the right call aborting the run. I've had similar calf issues lately, didnt have a chance to go to a physio but foam rolling and massaging helped a lot, so I'd say your physio will sort you out quickly.

• Advertisement

Hopefully just a minor set back K. One thing for the calves someone suggested to me to kick or bum with your heels (i hope that makes sense) do it for about a count of 10 every 5k/30mins or thereabouts. The person who suggested this to me suffers from tight calves and finds this helps on long runs... Fingers crossed physio tomorrow will sort you and you can get back on track. Great week otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Don't worry about not completing the 18-miler. Stopping was the right thing to do. Fingers crossed your physio sorts you out tomorrow.

Glad to say all well this morning. I put in a heat pack while having breakfast and did plenty foam rolling over the weekend. Pretty sore on my right calf!

I went to the local park and just decided to do laps of the pitches and avoid hills and just keep going for as long as I could. The calf was tight but not painful so did 10 miles. Saturdays plan was to be at 9:40 so stuck to that and turned out to average 9:30 in the end. Found it a very easy pace. Had to pull myself back every now and the . I called it a day at 10 miles. I prob could have gone on longer but was at that stage where it was easier to stop and the calf was feeling very tight. Got sore when I finished. Stopped at the supermarket and seems to be tightening up a lot but when I get home I’ll foam roll and put more heat on.

Physio tomorrow morn and hopefully an easy fix and fully back on track.

Glad to say all well this morning. I put in a heat pack while having breakfast and did plenty foam rolling over the weekend. Pretty sore on my right calf!

I went to the local park and just decided to do laps of the pitches and avoid hills and just keep going for as long as I could. The calf was tight but not painful so did 10 miles. Saturdays plan was to be at 9:40 so stuck to that and turned out to average 9:30 in the end. Found it a very easy pace. Had to pull myself back every now and the . I called it a day at 10 miles. I prob could have gone on longer but was at that stage where it was easier to stop and the calf was feeling very tight. Got sore when I finished. Stopped at the supermarket and seems to be tightening up a lot but when I get home I’ll foam roll and put more heat on.

Brilliant news! 10m is a solid run. I really enjoyed 9:30 min/m pace on my run last Friday too! And my average HR was lower on that run than any other run (faster or slower) last week, i'm not sure if it was a coincidence but i do find it a very comfortable easy pace even though it's not 'easy' on paper.

Good luck with Physio, i hope she doesn't inflict too much pain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I really need to do more foam rolling. Only doing it a couple of times a week at best. What would you consider to be a sufficient amount?

Brilliant news! 10m is a solid run. I really enjoyed 9:30 min/m pace on my run last Friday too! And my average HR was lower on that run than any other run (faster or slower) last week, i'm not sure if it was a coincidence but i do find it a very comfortable easy pace even though it's not 'easy' on paper.

Good luck with Physio, i hope she doesn't inflict too much pain :P

Oh it will be torture but for some reason I look forward to it knowing she’s going to fix me.

Same as you with the 9:30. I deliberately went and checked my heartrate after and very stable. I’m really comfortable at that pace now and quite pleased with myself too.
    coogy wrote: »
    I really need to do more foam rolling. Only doing it a couple of times a week at best. What would you consider to be a sufficient amount?

I think once or twice a day - I got a bit lax last week but that is what I normally do. Every time I get lazy with it then something happens. I’m not sure the recommended amount though to be honest. I’m currently sitting here with a heat pack on and will foam roll quickly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Glad to hear you're feeling better this morning K, and hope the physio sorts things out even further tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow at the physio, I think it is gonna hurt :eek:

But the 10 miler was a good test of the leg :) hang in there nearly there and wait till taper madness starts :D

Was at physio yesterday. Another doozy of a session. It was sheer agony when she was working on my calves and she also did work on my neck and back too. My pelvis and hips seemed in good shape for once and it’s normally there that trouble begins. She felt that the fact I managed 10 miles easily on Monday indicated that there wasn’t a tear there and should be grand for easy running.

I mentioned I’d a session scheduled for today but she said not a chance. I suggested easy 10 miles today and she said I could do 8.

Set off this morning feeling good and just tender from the physio session. All was good until just after 7 miles and I felt my calf going again. I stopped more or less straight away and stretched and started again but not happening. I was facing into a half mile drag so I walked that and tried to pick up a jog again then but no way.

I texted the physio and the coach straight away. Physio said to use heat, foam rolling, anti inflammatories and a warm bath if I can and also to wear runners with support for the day. I’ve to get back to her tomorrow morn. I’m wearing a calf compression sleeve now that certainly feels it’s helping. I’m limping a bit and going up and down the stairs is tough. Hoping a few days rest is all I need and that I just should have rested today rather than going straight back out. I presume I’m going to have to miss my long run again this Saturday. I’ll skip to orrow’s easy run for a start anyway. It’s just so frustrating as the fitness is there and I feel I can go forever but something keeps stopping me. Praying I’ll make the start line of DCM now. Back to being afraid that I won’t again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Was at physio yesterday. Another doozy of a session. It was sheer agony when she was working on my calves and she also did work on my neck and back too. My pelvis and hips seemed in good shape for once and it’s normally there that trouble begins. She felt that the fact I managed 10 miles easily on Monday indicated that there wasn’t a tear there and should be grand for easy running.

I mentioned I’d a session scheduled for today but she said not a chance. I suggested easy 10 miles today and she said I could do 8.

Set off this morning feeling good and just tender from the physio session. All was good until just after 7 miles and I felt my calf going again. I stopped more or less straight away and stretched and started again but not happening. I was facing into a half mile drag so I walked that and tried to pick up a jog again then but no way.

I texted the physio and the coach straight away. Physio said to use heat, foam rolling, anti inflammatories and a warm bath if I can and also to wear runners with support for the day. I’ve to get back to her tomorrow morn. I’m wearing a calf compression sleeve now that certainly feels it’s helping. I’m limping a bit and going up and down the stairs is tough. Hoping a few days rest is all I need and that I just should have rested today rather than going straight back out. I presume I’m going to have to miss my long run again this Saturday. I’ll skip to orrow’s easy run for a start anyway. It’s just so frustrating as the fitness is there and I feel I can go forever but something keeps stopping me. Praying I’ll make the start line of DCM now. Back to being afraid that I won’t again.

Everything crossed for you!! YOu must be driven mad at this stage!

Advertisement