Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

All going well still. 30 min swim yesterday. Still feeling the arms. Hopefully they’ll look lovely and toned for DCM now :rolleyes:

Went out for a 6 mile / one hour this morning. A friend was joining me which was great and I wanted to pick up the pace a little to see how my fitness was as well as it hopefully being less of a slog. It all worked. Not a niggle anywhere and just a lovely pleasant run. Averaged out at 9:26 which was slightly faster than planned (9:40) but felt easy. I think the nerves got to me Monday as well as first day back after a break. Wearing my old Saucony’s as well as the physio recommended I go back to my old runners from now until DCM. They are grand really and not causing me any bother. I did run Cork in them anyway.

Thoughts are turning to what pace I go out at now in Dublin. I’m worried about having lost fitness over the last month and having missed 4 long runs. I’m thinking of aiming for 4:15. I hope that is sustainable. 4 weeks ago I was going for 4:05 and my original plan was 4:10 but I’m afraid that might be too much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You'll not be surprised by this but I think you have to believe in yourself. A few missed runs should not derail you from knocking a sizeable chunk off last year's time after running for 47 weeks since then. 47 weeks good, 3 bad....do the maths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You'll not be surprised by this but I think you have to believe in yourself. A few missed runs should not derail you from knocking a sizeable chunk off last year's time after running for 47 weeks since then. 47 weeks good, 3 bad....do the maths :)

Agree 100% with this :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Agree 100% with this :)

Well I’ve just committed to trying for 4:10 on the table so hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well I’ve just committed to trying for 4:10 on the table so hopefully!

Good on you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

4:10 lads are very approachable. Go for it.

4:10 lads are very approachable. Go for it.

Thanks TBO. Need to think as I’m in wave 2 so debating whether to stay there or drop back. Either way I’ll run my own race with a paceband as I’ll take the first half handy and see how I’m doing then.

DCM Training - 1 week to go!

Finished the week with a 10 mile run today and the leg held up with no issues. I still didn’t trust it fully but it lasted.

I ran 3 miles before meeting a friend and we headed to the Parkrun where Parkrun had just started so we decided to just catch up even though we were late and took it nice and slowly. We did another lap afterwards and I headed off by myself then to do the last mile or so. My pacing in the run is all over the place but start and last mile were around mp ... kind of ... I don’t quite know what my mp is.

Set my sights on 4:10 and then it dawned on me that my longest run was 18 miles 5 weeks ago so hoping I have the endurance to do 4:10. Sure we’ll see what happens!

Have my train booked and list made out of what I need to pack. Looking cold on the day so wondering what to wear ... and what to dispose of. Excited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

All still feeling ok / good??

ReeReeG wrote: »
    All still feeling ok / good??

Feeling great - thanks a mill for asking. Sitting here with heat on at physio now waiting for the last torture session.

Had a lovely run last night and felt very good so hopefully having done 35 miles in the last week that I’m sorted as the load doesn’t seem to be causing any trouble.

I’m here with 3 pairs of runners as not sure which to wear on Sunday. Physio took me out of my newest ones that I was wearing this training cycle and back into my older Saucony Hurricanes. I’m about to come through the toes of them though and doubt they’d last for Dublin. So I’ve older ones again that are very comfortable and maybe I’ll go back into them! I think they look ok but have done 3 marathons and all the training cycles. Wore them last night and seemed ok. Decisions decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Sounds good, although I don't envy your runners dilemma. Not the stress you need added to taper madness! 
    Hope the physio goes well, and looking forward to meeting you for a wee drink in McGrattan's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Feeling great - thanks a mill for asking. Sitting here with heat on at physio now waiting for the last torture session.

Had a lovely run last night and felt very good so hopefully having done 35 miles in the last week that I’m sorted as the load doesn’t seem to be causing any trouble.
    This is brilliant! It was so good read you're starting to get excited now too in your last post. After all the frustrations you've had over the last while it seems like it's coming together and it's time to enjoy it now. You deserve to have an amazing day on Sunday. I'm excited for all of us now!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Hope the physio went well for you. Delighted the running is going well for you again.

Have a great run on Sunday.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Hope the physio went well for you. Delighted the running is going well for you again.

Have a great run on Sunday.

It went really well and am now apparently ship shape and ready to run a marathon. Runners now chosen too and wearing my oldest ones. Just the rest of my attire to decide on now. This weather forecast has thrown me a bit and nervous of being frozen in a singlet and shorts. Have arm warmers ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

It went really well and am now apparently ship shape and ready to run a marathon. Runners now chosen too and wearing my oldest ones. Just the rest of my attire to decide on now. This weather forecast has thrown me a bit and nervous of being frozen in a singlet and shorts. Have arm warmers ordered.

Excited for you and so happy to read this :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Excited for you and so happy to read this :D

Thanks Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Arm warmers are my absolute favourite piece of kit! Have a wonderful run, looking forward to meeting you!

juke wrote: »
    Arm warmers are my absolute favourite piece of kit! Have a wonderful run, looking forward to meeting you!

Thanks a mill Juke. Dying to meet everybody too. I reckon my poor husband is going to be bored to tears in McGrattans!

Arm warmers arrived and are very bright - in fact I don’t think anything I’m wearing actually matches and arm warmers and calf sleeves added in are not helping but sure hopefully I’ll be comfortable and warm and not bothered then. Kind of going against the rules too wearing something for the first time but I suppose they’ll be easy to roll down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks a mill Juke. Dying to meet everybody too. I reckon my poor husband is going to be bored to tears in McGrattans!

Arm warmers arrived and are very bright - in fact I don’t think anything I’m wearing actually matches and arm warmers and calf sleeves added in are not helping but sure hopefully I’ll be comfortable and warm and not bothered then. Kind of going against the rules too wearing something for the first time but I suppose they’ll be easy to roll down.

I might have picked up a pair of arm warmers at the expo and they are a brilliant buy. Nothing to worry about, just lash yourself in bodyglide beforehand. I found the singlet rubbed underarm to arm, that hurt so apply bodyglide everywhere.

Have a wonderful race now and hope to either see you en-route or in the pub.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    I might have picked up a pair of arm warmers at the expo and they are a brilliant buy. Nothing to worry about, just lash yourself in bodyglide beforehand. I found the singlet rubbed underarm to arm, that hurt so apply bodyglide everywhere.

Have a wonderful race now and hope to either see you en-route or in the pub.

Thanks Aoife. They seem comfortable anyhow and I always coat myself in Bodyglide for races.

Hopefully see you somewhere on Sunday so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

If they're good enough for Kipchoge!

The very best of luck to you on Sunday. I think you're going to have a great run. You've plenty of miles in the legs, despite the injury.

I'll be in Milltown keeping an eye out for you. Looking forward to meeting you in McGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dunno if you’re going to join me Sunday, if not have a great race. Relax and get into a comfortable rhythm. Run well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Delighted to see the calf has been behaving well, enjoy the race on Sunday, and the pub after!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck on Sunday KG. I look forward to a happy ending of this marathon journey (and think you'll have one too) :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    If they're good enough for Kipchoge!

The very best of luck to you on Sunday. I think you're going to have a great run. You've plenty of miles in the legs, despite the injury.

I'll be in Milltown keeping an eye out for you. Looking forward to meeting you in McGs.

Thanks a mill. Milltown was brilliant last year. Brilliant atmosphere. See you Sunday!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Dunno if you’re going to join me Sunday, if not have a great race. Relax and get into a comfortable rhythm. Run well!!!

Thanks a mill. I’m going to stay at the back of Wave 2 and run my own race I think. I dithered about dropping back but think i’ll Just run away myself. See you after hopefully.
    Delighted to see the calf has been behaving well, enjoy the race on Sunday, and the pub after!

Oh I didn’t realize you were coming over. Brilliant. See you there.
    Good luck on Sunday KG. I look forward to a happy ending of this marathon journey (and think you'll have one too) :D

Thanks WW. Hope you are right. Looking forward to next week and just getting back to running whenever I like and not being afraid of my leg going and consequences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Oh I didn’t realize you were coming over. Brilliant. See you there.

No no, planning to be in Dublin two weekends hence (for RunTheLine) but not this one. Was just wishing you to enjoy the pub later (not meeting you there!).

No no, planning to be in Dublin two weekends hence (for RunTheLine) but not this one. Was just wishing you to enjoy the pub later (not meeting you there!).

Oh read that wrong. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of running on Sunday. As God is my witness I will meet you this time! Even if I have to wear a balloon with your name on it in McGrattans. All the best. You've done absolutely everything to get to that start line and run a great race. Fair play to you (and your physio). Enjoy this as it will be your last marathon for a good while, no doubt you'll move to the shorter stuff and I can start having a more productive input on your log. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Best of luck on Sunday! Looking forward to saying hi and thank you in Mc Grattans.

Advertisement