Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

As S said it's not really about pace with these. Aim is to stay smooth and controlled, focus on getting the legs turning over and driving up the hill. Maintain good form throughout. Wouldn't worry too much about pace but try to lay down a marker on the first one and then try to pass that same point each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks guys.

Recovery Week 3 / Training to train

Monday - Planned 45 mins easy
    Actual 4.3 miles @ 11.02 ; 47.23mins

Easy run between rain showers. There were downpours on Monday and was happy to not get thoroughly soaked. Forgot to do strides at the end.

Tuesday - Planned session with the physical therapist to do some mobility work and 45 min run before hand
    Actual: 4.8 miles in 51:50 generally slower than an 11 min mile except for one mile of 5 strides

First time running round the Lough in Cork which is near the guy I was going to see. I ran up to it and then did some very slow laps and threw in 5 strides into the third mile. I was doing 20s strides but increased it to 25 seconds. Took the wrong road back to the gym so ended up having to pick up the pace and run a bit further to get back on time for my appointment.

Ended up with a sports massage as well as a couple more exercises. I’ve been doing my foam rolling and stretching exercises daily and he felt there was an improvement.

Wednesday: Planned Run In The Dark 5km
    Actual: PB sub 25 finally. 24:45

I was close to bailing out of the race and I’m happy to admit it was nerves. The weather was shocking with rain and wind so seemed a good excuse but I honestly felt I hadn’t a hope of doing well and was only setting myself up for disappointment. The gang on WhatsApp told me go in so off I went. I was in town early to get parking and ran into the startline really slowly. I was way too early and everybody was huddling in shop doorways hiding from the rain. I joined them thinking that I was too early to warm up but didn’t want to lose my place near the start line either as had heard congestion was a big issue with Run In The Dark. Anyway, a fella got up on stage and did a warm up so I joined in and did 15 minutes prancing around with the rest and then quick move to the official start and I managed to be just about 4 or 5 rows back. Perfect!

Started quite fast and couldn’t really see my watch so just ran by feel. There were too many hazards and puddles and floods to be messing trying to see my watch. I stayed left as most turns were left so could stay as close to the race line as possible. I got into a lovely pace and just kept going. Was thrilled to see 7:58 after the first mile and was confident I’d keep that up. Initially I jumped over puddles but had to start running through some and eventually just ignored them. Second mile was 7:59 and still going strong. I knew I should have sub 25 and kept going happy out afraid to pick up the pace in case I ruined everything. The winds were fairly strong going up North Main Street but otherwise not too bad and my watched beeped at 3 miles there at 8:02. That was odd as I still had a good way to go - or so I thought. I was now running round the walkers on their fast lap and ran over a chip mat on Washington street that I thought was there to count laps (2 for 5km and 4 for 10km). After that I picked up the pace on the Grand Parade and went as fast as I could down to the finish line on Patrick Street. 26:16 - Feck. My watch must have been totally out and I’d run 3.3 miles according to that. It was telling me my 5km time was 24:45 but I assumed gps was messed up. Looking at other people on Strava later I could see the 10km people all did 6.2 miles and the 5km were all at 3.3 or 3.4 miles so wondered if the course was long. I then found comments from last year that the 5km finish line was on Washington street but they brought everybody down to the official Run In The Dark line anyway. Started to get excited but had to wait until the official results came out Thursday to see that I did actually get a PB of 24:45. Would have been faster if I’d known to sprint earlier as opposed to actually sprinting the .2 of a mile after the finish line :rolleyes:

Really delighted with my sub 25 and even happier that there is definitely more in me. Was a nice boost after 9 weeks I think of no speed work! Also I was 17th female out of 535. I know it’s only Run In The Dark but a nice confidence boost anyway and sets me up nicely to start my Grads 5-10km plan on Monday.

Thursday: Planned: easy run keeping my heart rate in very easy zone (125-137)
    Actual - not that anyway!

This was an experiment as my heart rate never seems to be below the 140s on easy runs. Started out watching my heart rate. It was 120. Within 30 seconds it was above 130 and then 140. I was barely moving and walking to try get it back down. Feck this for a game of soldiers I decided and turned back to pace and decided to keep to very easy pace and did 4.5 miles @ 12:25. Felt crazy slow and heart rate higher than the race the night before :rolleyes:

Saturday: Planned 1:45 easy

Met two friends and we ran into Parkrun, did that in 32:07 (256th place) and they headed off after that and I kept going. Finished the book I was listening to and just enjoyed the run. 13 degrees out and muggy! Odd November weather.

27.9 miles run this week - all easy besides 3.1 of them! 5 hours of running.

I’m feeling great and excited now to start the Grads plan on Monday. My first session 8x1 min hills and looking forward to the 25 min tempo too. Ready to attack the plan and get that 5km time even lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done on the 5km. Nice to know there's another chunk of seconds there for the taking too. I've never done a Run in the Dark, and by all accounts they are a frustrating experience, but they do produce some great stories of random set-ups. That finish line one is gas, although probably not as funny when you're one of those running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Recovery Week 3 / Training to train

Wednesday: Planned Run In The Dark 5km
    Actual: PB sub 25 finally. 24:45

I was close to bailing out of the race and I’m happy to admit it was nerves. The weather was shocking with rain and wind so seemed a good excuse but I honestly felt I hadn’t a hope of doing well and was only setting myself up for disappointment. The gang on WhatsApp told me go in so off I went. I was in town early to get parking and ran into the startline really slowly. I was way too early and everybody was huddling in shop doorways hiding from the rain. I joined them thinking that I was too early to warm up but didn’t want to lose my place near the start line either as had heard congestion was a big issue with Run In The Dark. Anyway, a fella got up on stage and did a warm up so I joined in and did 15 minutes prancing around with the rest and then quick move to the official start and I managed to be just about 4 or 5 rows back. Perfect!

Started quite fast and couldn’t really see my watch so just ran by feel. There were too many hazards and puddles and floods to be messing trying to see my watch. I stayed left as most turns were left so could stay as close to the race line as possible. I got into a lovely pace and just kept going. Was thrilled to see 7:58 after the first mile and was confident I’d keep that up. Initially I jumped over puddles but had to start running through some and eventually just ignored them. Second mile was 7:59 and still going strong. I knew I should have sub 25 and kept going happy out afraid to pick up the pace in case I ruined everything. The winds were fairly strong going up North Main Street but otherwise not too bad and my watched beeped at 3 miles there at 8:02. That was odd as I still had a good way to go - or so I thought. I was now running round the walkers on their fast lap and ran over a chip mat on Washington street that I thought was there to count laps (2 for 5km and 4 for 10km). After that I picked up the pace on the Grand Parade and went as fast as I could down to the finish line on Patrick Street. 26:16 - Feck. My watch must have been totally out and I’d run 3.3 miles according to that. It was telling me my 5km time was 24:45 but I assumed gps was messed up. Looking at other people on Strava later I could see the 10km people all did 6.2 miles and the 5km were all at 3.3 or 3.4 miles so wondered if the course was long. I then found comments from last year that the 5km finish line was on Washington street but they brought everybody down to the official Run In The Dark line anyway. Started to get excited but had to wait until the official results came out Thursday to see that I did actually get a PB of 24:45. Would have been faster if I’d known to sprint earlier as opposed to actually sprinting the .2 of a mile after the finish line :rolleyes:

Really delighted with my sub 25 and even happier that there is definitely more in me. Was a nice boost after 9 weeks I think of no speed work! Also I was 17th female out of 535. I know it’s only Run In The Dark but a nice confidence boost anyway and sets me up nicely to start my Grads 5-10km plan on Monday.

Congrats on the PB. Sub-25 in style.

I won't say anything about using miles in a 5k race :p

I would love to see you hammer a parkrun without your watch or at least with it hidden so that you can't see it. It almost seems like you were holding yourself back a wee bit.

It's only the start of PBs across the shorter distances for you. 2019 looks very exciting!
    Thursday: Planned: easy run keeping my heart rate in very easy zone (125-137)
    Actual - not that anyway!

This was an experiment as my heart rate never seems to be below the 140s on easy runs. Started out watching my heart rate. It was 120. Within 30 seconds it was above 130 and then 140. I was barely moving and walking to try get it back down. Feck this for a game of soldiers I decided and turned back to pace and decided to keep to very easy pace and did 4.5 miles @ 12:25. Felt crazy slow and heart rate higher than the race the night before :rolleyes:

I noticed this after you mentioned it on Strava. I don't know what your max HR is but it seemed fairly low during Run in the Dark, alright. Possibly just a case of your watch not being accurate?

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB. Sub-25 in style.

I won't say anything about using miles in a 5k race :p

I would love to see you hammer a parkrun without your watch or at least with it hidden so that you can't see it. It almost seems like you were holding yourself back a wee bit.

It's only the start of PBs across the shorter distances for you. 2019 looks very exciting!

I noticed this after you mentioned it on Strava. I don't know what your max HR is but it seemed fairly low during Run in the Dark, alright. Possibly just a case of your watch not being accurate?

:D:D I know - just spent a year getting used to miles and didn’t think to switch the watch back. Must think whether I should actually. I think Skyblue uses both and switches between KM’s and miles depending on distance.

Pacer Saturday is on at Parkrun on 1st December. I ‘might’ go with the 24 min pacer and see what happens.

The watch must be inaccurate. There’s something odd there but it’s not the first time that’s happened. My last 5km pb was 4/5 days after Cork marathon and had a low hr rate then too. Goes up during sessions and long runs then. Weird!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

:D:D I know - just spent a year getting used to miles and didn’t think to switch the watch back. Must think whether I should actually. I think Skyblue uses both and switches between KM’s and miles depending on distance.

Yeah, just because three miles is, what, 4.8k or something? Might be worth changing just for racing. Not that I'd ever be able to change to miles - my head would fall off.
    Pacer Saturday is on at Parkrun on 1st December. I ‘might’ go with the 24 min pacer and see what happens.

Do! Sure what's the worst that can happen? You blow up? Big deal! Or you surprise yourself. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    The watch must be inaccurate. There’s something odd there but it’s not the first time that’s happened. My last 5km pb was 4/5 days after Cork marathon and had a low hr rate then too. Goes up during sessions and long runs then. Weird!!

Weird is right!

Yeah, just because three miles is, what, 4.8k or something? Might be worth changing just for racing. Not that I'd ever be able to change to miles - my head would fall off.

Oh yeah, I knew it was 3.1 miles I was looking for anyway but the 3 mile mark seemed way far away from the finish line. Took a long time to get used to miles after years of kms but wouldn’t be too hard to switch back.
    Do! Sure what's the worst that can happen? You blow up? Big deal! Or you surprise yourself. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Just trying to fit it into my plan is the only thing. That’s my long run day though I’m sure doing a shorter one with warm up, cooldown and the parkrun would be more than adequate for one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats again on the PB, super! It does sound like you could try a more aggressive approach to a 5k and possibly bring that PB down even more. Exciting!
    Also, congrats on 17th female, don't say "only" Run in the Dark, that's an excellent result regardless of the setting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great to get the sub 25 well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great week especially for your 3rd week after a marathon! Super PB, congrats on sub 25 milestone - plenty to spare and more to come as well!

What I really love is your infectious enthusiasm in the last paragraph, exciting times ahead K, can't wait to see what's in store in 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Bravo on the PB, great to see post DCM. More for sure to come off that, great achievement don’t talk it down.

Big congrats on the pb!

Wouldn't worry about the heart rate the day after. You'd just raced a big PB the night before.

Well done! More to come :)

Thanks all. Loving running at the moment. Well I generally always do but after all the pressure of plans and DCM and injury it’s lovely to just relax and enjoy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Congrats again on the PB K, you definitely have more in you! and FYI I’m banning your watch when we do the half in December ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Congrats on the PB! Brilliant going so soon after the marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fantastic! You're really back in the swing of things now. Congratulations on the PB and on breaking 25! Fairly comfortably too, by the sound of things - doesn't seem like it was any bother to you! Here's to many great months ahead for you :)

Week 1 - Grads 5-10km plan

Delighted to finally get started on a plan and was very ready for it. I can only run Monday-Thursday and Saturday so had to move the days around a bit so my plan is speed work Mondays and Thursday’s, very easy runs Tuesdays and Wednesday’s and the long run on Saturdays. Hopefully I’ll squeeze in the 20 min recovery runs on Sundays too though not possible tomorrow.

Monday: Planned 8x1 min hills with 2-3 mins recovery
    Actual: 26 min WU; Hill splits: 9:05; 9:22; 9:24; 9:27; 9:40; 9:31; 9:35; 10; 24 Min CD; 6.7 miles in total

I chose a hill in Ballincollig that I knew was a bit steep but all the others aren’t steep enough. I parked two miles away and a friend joined me for those very easy two miles and ran off then before I roped her into hills with me.

Pressed the lap button on my watch and took off. Too steep to get anywhere near 5km pace and was fading near the top so tried to make the rest of them more even. I’d set up the workout as a mile rather than a minute by mistake on my watch so used the lap button and the recoveries were around 2:10 - was all I felt I needed really though the splits showed I did slow down.

I worried as I did the hills about my left calf - that’s the niggly leg and it was pretty sore the next day but seems ok again after plenty work on it all week foam rolling, stretching and massaging every evening. Skyblue pointed out that the hill was much too steep and found an app for me to find the elevation of hills before I go to them - and the perfect hill is half a km away from where I live as opposed to driving to one :rolleyes:

Tough enough workout but to be honest besides the tight calf, which is the niggly one anyway, it didn’t take that much out of me afterwards.

Tuesday: Planned 60 mins easy
    Actual: Nothing

My eldest woke up with a temperature of 40 degrees and my husband was away so no running for me.

Wednesday: Planned 60 mins very easy
    Actual: 5.53 miles @ 11:10 in 1:01:43

Sick child and was going to a course so mayhem but husband got home and I escaped that night. Met a friend so wondered how easy I could keep the pace and while the first mile was very easy (11:36) we did get a bit more into easy pace after that. Fastest mile was 11:01 so not too bad.

Thursday: Planned: 25 min tempo (pace 8:51-9:05)
    Actual: 17 min WU; 8:56; 8:51; 8:47 (0.82 mile); 10 min CD; 5.13 miles

Ran my warm up a long side a friend very slowly and then took off for my tempo. It was hard to not go too fast and I was pulling myself back a lot for the first while. I was definitely at the pacier end of the range so need to watch that and try and pace my runs better. I enjoyed it though.

Saturday: Planned 1:45 Easy (11:11 - 11:35)
    Actual 1:47; 10 miles; 10:42min/mile

Forgot to check my paces before I left for this and had it in my head that I was to be running at an 11 min mile. That seems to fall in to no man’s land on the Run Fast Calculator and is neither Easy nor Easy \ Moderate. Anyway, ran with a friend to Parkrun, trotted round the route in 32:05 and I did slow down after that when I was on my own alright. I got back to my car in 1:45 but was at 9.82 miles so had to round off to 10 miles then!

Total miles for the week 27.3.

Annoyingly the elevation stopped working on my watch on Wednesday. This is my 3rd Fenix 5s since September 2017 (14 months) and the elevation stopped working in all three. It seems to be a common fault according to google so no point going for the same watch again. The shop told me keep it for the weekend and they’ll ring Garmin on Monday so I’m trying to decide what I want instead.

I was veering towards the FR 645 as I want swimming and running and for it to look good as I like to wear it 24 7. Same barometric altimeter though in that as well as the Vivoactive 3 and google showing elevation problems showing up in all 3. Currently thinking of the FR 735xt, not the prettiest but covers running and swimming and everything else I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I'm only catching up properly on logs now after a week away. Big congrats on your 5k PB:D One of many to come I'm sure.
    Good luck with the new plan, looking forward to seeing how you get on.

I'm only catching up properly on logs now after a week away. Big congrats on your 5k PB:D One of many to come I'm sure.
    Good luck with the new plan, looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Thank you! How are you doing? Have you recovered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Thank you! How are you doing? Have you recovered?

I think the leg is ok thanks. However, I've been doing very little running since DCM so I can't really say for definite:o I've been very lazy but I'll get around to updating my log in the next day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Doing great K, I hope you get the watch sorted so annoying

Week 2 - Grads 5-10km plan

Monday - Planned 6x3min CV (8:04-8-15) with 3 min recoveries
    Actual: Paces for 3 min splits 7:52; 8:13; 7:44; 8:14; 7:47; 7:54

Ran this with a friend who asked could she join me. That probably meant I didn’t work as hard as I should have on steadying the paces. Was taking off too quickly. The only two splits that were in range I was actually talking throughout! With warmup and cool down we ran 5.5 miles in total. I found this surprisingly easy and wondered if that was right. Still comparing to my last plan where I’d be half dead after a session.

Tuesday - Planned 60 mins very easy
    Actual: 1:15 @ 11:23 ; 6.6miles

Ok strictly this fits into easy rather than very easy. I had a sports massage first. He saw a big improvement in my muscles and reckons the stretching and stuff I’m doing daily (well maybe 5 times weekly) is working well so that’s motivating to keep working at it. Would have liked to run for longer but had to collect my kids from school! I was running round The Lough for this one until I got surrounded by birds. I have a major fear of birds so I left The Lough again.

Wednesday - Planned 60 mins very easy
    Actual: Nothing

Storm Diana prevented me getting to a training course I was supposed to be attending and I was even in my running gear as had planned to squeeze in a run on the way back to get the kids. I put up the Christmas Tree instead still hoping the weather would improve and then the electricity went at school so they had to be collected early. No running for me :-(

Thursday - Planned 5x5 mins Threshold (8:26-8:38) with 2 mins off
    Actual: Pace 8:33, 26, 33, 29, 33

I had a migraine aura while getting the boys breakfast and getting them ready for school so popped a nurofen hoping I’d prevent the headache kicking in. There was one hell of a downpour when I arrived to the park so held on till that stopped. My heart rate was high while I was just sitting there in the car and I could feel the pressure of the headache but wasn’t too bad so decided to go for it. Even though the paces were slower that the session earlier in the week it felt harder and I knew my heart rate was high. I just ignored it and concentrated on getting the paces right and ignored the headache. It cleared anyway towards the end so glad I went out. I got back to the car just as another downpour started so was very happy I didn’t get soaked. 6 miles in total.

Added in some mobility work to my stretching routine that evening and some lateral lunges.

Saturday: Planned 1:45 hrs easy
    Actual: Pacer day at parkrun so raced that
    2km WU
    25:25 mins for Parkrun (parkrun pb (was 25:57) but not 5km pb)
    2km CD

The first Saturday of every month is pacer day and it was even numbers this month so decided to go with the 24 min pacer. When I can I will race pacer day as I need more experience racing.

I warmed up with 4 strides. It was kind of muggy out at 13 degrees. I wasn’t really feeling it for racing but that could have been nerves too.

Lined up behind the 24 min guy. Today was a big one in Ballincollig for World AIDS Day and they were giving out tech tops and goodie bags and huge numbers there. There were lots of people lined up in front of me who I knew were slower which was a little annoying as there was a slow start and loads of weaving on a narrow path. I was heavy breathing from the start but a lot of that is nerves with me in a race.

I started letting the pacer go after the first km which was 4:47 and we were onto the trail. The next km was 5:05 and I’d another headache after kicking in. My legs were feeling the lunges from the other night too. I was battling with myself to keep going as was so tempted to just give up. Sometimes Strava and knowing my run is going to be up for everyone to see is what keeps me going. 3rd km was 5:15. I was using The Race Screen app and could still see I was at least on for a parkrun pb if I kept going. Somehow I picked up the last two kilometers to 5:08 and 5:06 and even managed to pick up the pace at the end and pass out a few people. I was absolutely wrecked and my face a seriously deep shade of red / purple :-) Got my goodie bag but no water in it which I’d been hoping for. Just a pen, a badge and a leaflet. Waited for my friend who was in a huge queue at the finish line and then we did a 15 min cool down and I flew home to bring the boys to see Santa arriving to the shopping centre in a fire engine.

Pleased I got a parkrun pb obviously but quite disappointed not to get sub 25 considering I got 24:45 a few weeks ago and was nowhere near as wrecked. Different course and tired today and headachey but I still thought I’d do a little better. I was delighted to see I was 10th female and 2nd in my age category. I was 85th out of 312.

Weirdly my heart rate averaged 146bpm even though I couldn’t have gone much faster yet my cooldown averaged at 165 bpm. It’s a new watch and I know from Tuesday’s easy run that it’s measuring my heart rate in the same way - as in my easy run was the same as it always is.

5.7 miles in total.

Total miles for the week: 23.8 miles

I changed my watch too and got the Garmin Forerunner 735XT. Not so snazzy as the Fenix 5 but most of the same features and I like it. Still getting used to some settings.

Week 3 - Grads 5-10km plan

Updating my log early this week.

Sunday 60 mins very easy: 58:35mins; 5 miles @ 11:42;

Monday 8x1 min hills: 7:48; 52; 8:11; 7:54; 57; 57; 47; 46; 4.61 miles total

Tuesday 60 mins easy: 5.61 miles @ 11:00

Thursday 30 min tempo(8:51-9:05): 1 mile WU; 8:57; 8:55; 8:57; 9:09 (.35 mi); 1 mile CD; 5.36 miles total

It’s been a good week. I missed a run in each of the previous two weeks though sick kids and Storm Diane so squeezed in Sunday mornings run before work to try counteract any unforeseen problems. I start work at 8 so it was a 6am start and pitch dark and windy when my alarm went off. I was nervous driving to Ballincollig about running that time of the morning but the street lights helped. There were a few people walking to work and petrol stations open. 4 lads came towards me at one point and looked like they were on their way home and worse for the wear but I went down another road to avoid passing them. Otherwise it was an uneventful run and surprisingly warm and muggy.

Monday, I dithered about what hill to go with. Went to Farran Woods in the end as the hill in the car park is decent and I calculated about 5%. I was afraid it was a bit short as flattens near the top but I think it was ok. I was happy with my paces and suitably out of breath after each one but happy enough to go again when I got back to the bottom.

Tuesday’s was freezing. Never rose above 1 degree. Really lovely though. No running Wednesday even though I was in my running gear attending a course. Planned to run on the way home but the course ran over so I could have done 30 mins max and figured I’d rest and put up another Christmas tree before collecting the kids instead.

Tempo run today. 14 degrees, muggy and raining - well drizzle. Had my jacket off half a mile into my warmup. I shot off as usual at the start even though I actually thought I was building up slowly. Reined myself in and felt slow for a bit but started to feel it after a while. I was very pleased that my paces were right and even though.

20.58 miles so far this week and 13.1 to go on Saturday in Clonakilty. Really looking forward to the weekend and catching up with the girls. Not looking for a pb - just a fun run and lots of fun after too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

20.58 miles so far this week and 13.1 to go on Saturday in Clonakilty. Really looking forward to the weekend and catching up with the girls. Not looking for a pb - just a fun run and lots of fun after too :-)

Next time can we just skip the run part and be like normal girls and go shopping or something :P

Great week. Great turn around after DCM, i'm very jealous of you actually but i suppose i can't really begrudge you :pac:

Race report - Clonakilty Half Marathon

I’ve just had a great weekend with some of the other 2017 DCM grads and home nice and refreshed. This wasn’t really a race as such as we were doing it as a fun run and planned to have the watches covered. I did the full marathon last year and the half the year before and walked the hills both times and my half pb there was 2:10:49 so my only goals were to run all the hills and beat that time.

Clonakilty is always a great race with brilliant atmosphere. The start is mad... but good mad. It starts from outside the door of the hotel and we were inside trying to get out just a few minutes before the off. It was chaotic but all part of it.

We set out and I started the watch but switched it off the main screen to time of day and off we went. Fairly congested but no bother as we weren’t racing. My watch would beep every mile though and I couldn’t help but look at it. Browneyes caught me every time! I found out later that her’s was going a second before mine so she knew to catch me :-)

We were very lucky with the weather in one way. The wind was something else and sooo strong but the forecasted rain didn’t materialize and it was about 12 degrees. I was afraid we were a bit fast at times as I knew the hills coming up were seriously tough. We got to the first hill which is 1.9 miles long and dropped the pace right back. Judging by the drop in heart rate for that I dropped the pace too much but one of those miles flashed up as an 11:32 mile. The wind was against us going up the hill too to add to the challenge.

The views at the top were amazing and we breezed along with the wind behind us for a while. We even stopped for a selfie. It got a bit rolly as we headed into the wind again and then it flattened out and next thing a Shetland pony randomly cantered passed us by himself. There were a few more drags and then we were into the last mile and suddenly we were flying along with the wind behind us pushing us faster. It was an amazing feeling. Then we were on the home straight up to the finish line where Ariana, Baby75 and Leesider were cheering us on after all doing very well in the 10km. My office time was 2:07:10 so achieved my goals for the day. Nowhere near my fastest HM but that wasn’t the target. It felt a bit tough at times but Browneyes was an incredible running partner - so positive and chatty the whole way round. It was just the most enjoyable run with great company on a great route.

Needless to say we had a great weekend after and were back out at 9am this morning for a lovely recovery 5km on a beautiful calm morning before breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sounds like a great race/day/weekend! I'll have to make a note of that as one to try in the future, sounds like a good challenge ;)
    next thing a Shetland pony randomly cantered passed us by himself
    Definitely one of the most surreal images from a race report I've come across :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

It really was a great weekend great running and company :D

Was great to see the happy faces on Strava. Looked like ye just went out and enjoyed the weekend! :) Nice to see.

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Sounds like a great race/day/weekend! I'll have to make a note of that as one to try in the future, sounds like a good challenge ;)
    Definitely one of the most surreal images from a race report I've come across :pac:

Thanks C. Would highly recommend it. Not a pb course but all about the atmosphere. It’s my third year going to it.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    It really was a great weekend great running and company :D

I know. Really enjoyed it. Definitely have to repeat next year.
    Was great to see the happy faces on Strava. Looked like ye just went out and enjoyed the weekend! :) Nice to see.

Thanks P. We really did enjoy it. Fun and some healthy stuff thrown in for good measure. We all caught up on some sleep too! It was great.

Advertisement