Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Good luck ! Happy running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Best of luck today K!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks for the good wishes guys. Strava not working so a quick update here. 39:57 according to my watch. Absolutely thrilled as a 53 second pb and 3 fairly hefty hills and very strong winds. The last two miles were straight into the winds so really really pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sub 40! Boom! Deadly stuff. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Been trying to check Strava all day! Brilliant stuff! Congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote:
    Thanks for the good wishes guys. Strava not working so a quick update here. 39:57 according to my watch. Absolutely thrilled as a 53 second pb and 3 fairly hefty hills and very strong winds. The last two miles were straight into the winds so really really pleased.

Was checking Strava to see if you'd uploaded! Congrats on the PB, that's a super time!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Great time on a hilly course with serious winds today. Well done, all the hard work is showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's great news, and well deserved too. New training paces!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great running K. That's a great sign of progress. Keep them coming.

Loving your description of the hills. Hefty is a word I up to now associated with prop forwards and portly farmers wives. :-))))

Week 14 5-10km Grads plan & Carrigaline 5mile Run Report

I skipped week 13 of the plan to go straight into week 14 as was running the Carrigaline 5 mile today. I missed the first easy 45 min on Tuesday.

Wednesday 6x1min Vo2 (7:22-31) with 2 mins off
    WU, 7:11; 17; 03; 08; 39; 6:42; CD; 6 miles in total

Thursday very easy 56:34 mins: 5 miles @ 11:17

Saturday: Parkrun volunteering and 2 miles / 20 mins very easy

Carrigaline 5 mile race report

My PB going into this was 40:50 on a flat course / perfect weather last year. Not sure where I pulled it out of on the day but figured it was going to be hard to beat today as I knew this was a hilly course and to top it off the weather wasn’t expected to be too hectic. Runfastcoach told me I should be capable of doing 39:56.7 but I was hoping to be anywhere in 40:xx today.

Luckily the rain held off and was sunny for the race though strong winds and I felt them during my warmup. I was nervous but met somebody I knew and was chatting to her at the start line and next thing the whistle blew and I took off. The first 1.5 miles was mainly downhill with a few little drags so I knew I was fast but felt it was ok to bank time. I was comfortable though weirdly had a few negative thoughts about slowing down and just jogging and then mentally gave myself a kick up the ass and told myself that I have trained well for the last 13 weeks and no more negative thoughts allowed. This is what I trained for. First mile clocked in at 7:30 and I was feeling strong. Bit more of a drag during mile 2 and made the most of any downhills and then mile 2 beeped at 7:47. Still feeling good.

Mile 3 started as we turned left and straight into a hill. I knew from reading about the route this was 800 meters long and finished at a grotto where there’d be a bit of a downhill. I didn’t find it that bad in one way - hard but doable. I was running in the middle of a group and there was a tall girl driving me nuts as her elbows were swinging everywhere and I was convinced I was going to get one in the face. I got passed her eventually. I’d friends stewarding at the top of the hill and I could arely smile and just gave a little wave as I got my breath back and pushed to recover to make the most of the downhill. Mile 3 clocked in at 8:20 and I was happy with that considering the hill.

Turned left again to start mile 4 and a little drag up and the wind was making it’s presence known. We were running in the hard shoulder and the wind was pushing us back and out onto the road. There was a nice long downhill there though the wind was slowing me down. I passed a few here still though and took the next left and into what I thought was the last hill which was supposed to be short and steep and the route guide said would do damage if you didn’t slow down - a girl passed me and I asked if it was the last hill as it seemed kind of long. She said it was. I chugged up it and the St. John’s Ambulance passed me and then chugged up in front of me blowing out all sorts of black fumes ...and conked out ... and started again with more black smoke. Lovely to inhale as I was struggling up a hill :( I assumed my pb was gone on this hill as I’d guessed now I’d one more to navigate yet.

When I passed the mile 4 marker my watch said 32:12 so I decided I had to do the next mile in 7:40/7:50 and I’d be sub 40 and either way I was fairly confident I’d get a pb. My legs were tired and the wind was directly against me which made me feel I was barely moving but I pushed as hard as I could. The last short sharp hill came and went and On I went. Next thing we were turning into an estate and my watch said 4:6 miles - I was so surprised - nearly there. Kept going, watching the speed bumps and wondering where the hell the finish line was. I turned another corner and there it was ... down a hill. I picked up the pace as much as I could and dashed for the finish line. I could see it was 39:52 and I practically dived for it. I hope there are no photos :D. 39:57 on my watch!!! I was absolutely thrilled. Sub 40!! I walked down to the Community Center and met my friend and filled up my plate with sandwiches and cakes. They put on a great spread.

I worried slightly the official time would add on a couple of seconds but it actually took one off and was 39:56 so a 54 second pb and shiny new paces for me. Buzzing all day. (Exactly the time runfastcoach gave me too).

I just wanted to add in that as well as really enjoying the plan I love that it’s given me more confidence in what I can do. I knew I was capable of 39:xx something on a good day and I was sure I’d do 40:xx today. I was in control for the whole race today - something I don’t think I ever was last year. I was confident in the paces I could do.

I’ve a question about the HM plan that maybe somebody could advise? Technically the plan should be starting tomorrow as that gives a full 14 weeks to Cork HM which is my target race. I was going to take it easy this week and therefore skip the first week of the plan. However, I’ve a week’s holiday in 8 weeks time and I doubt I’ll get very many runs done there. Wondering if I should start on week 3 of the plan altogether next week so that I’m not skipping the more HM specific weeks at the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Kellygirl wrote: »

I skipped week 13 of the plan to go straight into week 14 as was running the Carrigaline 5 mile today. I missed the first easy 45 min on Tuesday.

My PB going into this was 40:50 on a flat course / perfect weather last year. Not sure where I pulled it out of on the day but figured it was going to be hard to beat today as I knew this was a hilly course and to top it off the weather wasn’t expected to be too hectic. Runfastcoach told me I should be capable of doing 39:56.7 but I was hoping to be anywhere in 40:xx today.

Luckily the rain held off and was sunny for the race though strong winds and I felt them during my warmup. I was nervous but met somebody I knew and was chatting to her at the start line and next thing the whistle blew and I took off. The first 1.5 miles was mainly downhill with a few little drags so I knew I was fast but felt it was ok to bank time. I was comfortable though weirdly had a few negative thoughts about slowing down and just jogging and then mentally gave myself a kick up the ass and told myself that I have trained well for the last 13 weeks and no more negative thoughts allowed. This is what I trained for. First mile clocked in at 7:30 and I was feeling strong. Bit more of a drag during mile 2 and made the most of any downhills and then mile 2 beeped at 7:47. Still feeling good.

Mile 3 started as we turned left and straight into a hill. I knew from reading about the route this was 800 meters long and finished at a grotto where there’d be a bit of a downhill. I didn’t find it that bad in one way - hard but doable. I was running in the middle of a group and there was a tall girl driving me nuts as her elbows were swinging everywhere and I was convinced I was going to get one in the face. I got passed her eventually. I’d friends stewarding at the top of the hill and I could arely smile and just gave a little wave as I got my breath back and pushed to recover to make the most of the downhill. Mile 3 clocked in at 8:20 and I was happy with that considering the hill.

Turned left again to start mile 4 and a little drag up and the wind was making it’s presence known. We were running in the hard shoulder and the wind was pushing us back and out onto the road. There was a nice long downhill there though the wind was slowing me down. I passed a few here still though and took the next left and into what I thought was the last hill which was supposed to be short and steep and the route guide said would do damage if you didn’t slow down - a girl passed me and I asked if it was the last hill as it seemed kind of long. She said it was. I chugged up it and the St. John’s Ambulance passed me and then chugged up in front of me blowing out all sorts of black fumes ...and conked out ... and started again with more black smoke. Lovely to inhale as I was struggling up a hill :( I assumed my pb was gone on this hill as I’d guessed now I’d one more to navigate yet.

When I passed the mile 4 marker my watch said 32:12 so I decided I had to do the next mile in 7:40/7:50 and I’d be sub 40 and either way I was fairly confident I’d get a pb. My legs were tired and the wind was directly against me which made me feel I was barely moving but I pushed as hard as I could. The last short sharp hill came and went and On I went. Next thing we were turning into an estate and my watch said 4:6 miles - I was so surprised - nearly there. Kept going, watching the speed bumps and wondering where the hell the finish line was. I turned another corner and there it was ... down a hill. I picked up the pace as much as I could and dashed for the finish line. I could see it was 39:52 and I practically dived for it. I hope there are no photos :D. 39:57 on my watch!!! I was absolutely thrilled. Sub 40!! I walked down to the Community Center and met my friend and filled up my plate with sandwiches and cakes. They put on a great spread.

I worried slightly the official time would add on a couple of seconds but it actually took one off and was 39:56 so a 54 second pb and shiny new paces for me. Buzzing all day. (Exactly the time runfastcoach gave me too)

I’ve a question about the HM plan that maybe somebody could advise? Technically the plan should be starting tomorrow as that gives a full 14 weeks to Cork HM which is my target race. I was going to take it easy this week and therefore skip the first week of the plan. However, I’ve a week’s holiday in 8 weeks time and I doubt I’ll get very many runs done there. Wondering if I should start on week 3 of the plan altogether next week so that I’m not skipping the more HM specific weeks at the end?

First & foremost huge well done on your new shiny 5 mile PB, great stuff K!!

Re the plan I think starting on week 3 of the plan is no issue coming from where you are. You’ve logged 14 weeks of the 5-10km plan and have decent mileage behind you as a result.

Deadly stuff K. Well done. Great to see your hard work paying off. Agree with B. Skipping the first couple of weeks is fine but judge the first couple of sessions you do with the new paces carefully. If they are a struggle you might need to step back. You have those sessions done in the 5k plan but based off slower paces. That's all I'd say really. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I worried slightly the official time would add on a couple of seconds but it actually took one off and was 39:56 so a 54 second pb and shiny new paces for me. Buzzing all day. (Exactly the time runfastcoach gave me too).

I just wanted to add in that as well as really enjoying the plan I love that it’s given me more confidence in what I can do. I knew I was capable of 39:xx something on a good day and I was sure I’d do 40:xx today. I was in control for the whole race today - something I don’t think I ever was last year. I was confident in the paces I could do.

Superb!!! Well done!!

Deadly stuff K. Well done. Great to see your hard work paying off. Agree with B. Skipping the first couple of weeks is fine but judge the first couple of sessions you do with the new paces carefully. If they are a struggle you might need to step back. You have those sessions done in the 5k plan but based off slower paces. That's all I'd say really. Well done again.

Interesting.....ties in with some (lots) thoughts I was having after reading the new beginners training thread.

skyblue46 wrote:
    Interesting.....ties in with some (lots) thoughts I was having after reading the new beginners training thread.

Great minds S.

Great minds S.

I won't hijack this thread but I'll take it over to the training thread tomorrow....if I can work out a way not to offend people :pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I won't hijack this thread but I'll take it over to the training thread tomorrow....if I can work out a way not to offend people :pac:

Haha - I was interested to see where you were going with this.

Is it just what P said about being careful with new paces and not pushing too hard at the start with them?

Ah in general I just had a few opinions to share/ have taken apart/ to be debated! :D

As for your training paces...I wouldn't change them. We put 5k times into the calculator and it predicts a range of times we could achieve 'based on similar levels of training/ preparedness'. Then people change training paces after achieving just one of the predicted times. I'm more inclined to say Ok, I've hit the 5 mile prediction now I'll aim for the 10k, then 10 mile, then half.

As for your training paces...I wouldn't change them. We put 5k times into the calculator and it predicts a range of times we could achieve 'based on similar levels of training/ preparedness'. Then people change training paces after achieving just one of the predicted times. I'm more inclined to say Ok, I've hit the 5 mile prediction now I'll aim for the 10k, then 10 mile, then half.

BUT ... I was re-reading your log from last year when you did the 5k/10k plan as I was curious about your experience with it at the time (and if it matched my own) and you DID change paces after just one race... did you regret it at the time so??

ReeReeG wrote: »
    BUT ... I was re-reading your log from last year when you did the 5k/10k plan as I was curious about your experience with it at the time (and if it matched my own) and you DID change paces after just one race... did you regret it at the time so??

I changed paces for training for the same race distance. When I moved to training for longer races I dropped the training paces back to line up with probable race paces. If K was staying with the 5/10k plan I would advocate changing paces but she is moving to HM training. I think the time suggested off her current training paces are most realistic.

• Advertisement

I changed paces for training for the same race distance. When I moved to training for longer races I dropped the training paces back to line up with probable race paces. If K was staying with the 5/10k plan I would advocate changing paces but she is moving to HM training. I think the time suggested off her current training paces are most realistic.

Gotcha. Makes a lot of sense.

Ah in general I just had a few opinions to share/ have taken apart/ to be debated! :D

I get you. I must look at it again and see how much difference there is between my ‘old’ and ‘new’ paces. When I did that parkrun pb a couple of weeks ago the course measured long. I didn’t pay too much attention to it until yesterday morning when I found out the parkrun startline was moving as parkrun was 73 meters too long - having been accurately measured during the week for new signs the council are putting in. That meant the 5km time GC and Strava gave me of 24:09 for that day was more accurate. I input that yesterday out of interest and that’s what gave me the race time of 39:56 for 5 miles - that I then did today. When I put in 24:09 for 5Km and 39:56 for 5 miles it gives me identical training paces - so I wonder the fact I’ve kind of done it twice then should I change paces or at least step it up slightly. There’s probably not a huge amount of difference anyway- it wasn’t that big a pb! Not sure if my rambling is making sense :D

You are probably right there actually - just put in the old and new and think I prefer the ‘old’ predicted HM time!

I get you. I must look at it again and see how much difference there is between my ‘old’ and ‘new’ paces. When I did that parkrun pb a couple of weeks ago the course measured long. I didn’t pay too much attention to it until yesterday morning when I found out the parkrun startline was moving as parkrun was 73 meters too long - having been accurately measured during the week for new signs the council are putting in. That meant the 5km time GC and Strava gave me of 24:09 for that day was more accurate. I input that yesterday out of interest and that’s what gave me the race time of 39:56 for 5 miles - that I then did today. When I put in 24:09 for 5Km and 39:56 for 5 miles it gives me identical training paces - so I wonder the fact I’ve kind of done it twice then should I change paces or at least step it up slightly. There’s probably not a huge amount of difference anyway- it wasn’t that big a pb! Not sure if my rambling is making sense :D

I wouldn't change it. But that's me. I'd be looking to hit the targets for 10k and 10 miles next. The jump from achieving a target time at 5 miles to 13.1 miles is huge.

skyblue46 wrote:

I think I mentioned this somewhere else but it's one thing I've learned through coaching from Luke and if I was ever planning my own training again I'd take your approach. As runners we are often very quick to recalculate paces without ever really building strength first

You are probably right there actually - just put in the old and new and think I prefer the ‘old’ predicted HM time!

My predicted 5 mile and 10k times were within seconds of being achieved..,I was 1:30 off the 10 mile and 5 minutes off the half prediction. I think I just needed more time training at the paces...training faster wouldn't have helped me.

I wouldn't change it. But that's me. I'd be looking to hit the targets for 10k and 10 miles next. The jump from achieving a target time at 5 miles to 13.1 miles is huge.

It is and it’s where I went horribly wrong last year. Got my lovely 5 mile pb and 13.1 in Limerick was a painful experience then. Thanks.
    I think I mentioned this somewhere else but it's one thing I've learned through coaching from Luke and if I was ever planning my own training again I'd take your approach. As runners we are often very quick to recalculate paces without ever really building strength first

I remember you saying it before and have kept in mind. Thanks for the advice guys.

My predicted 5 mile and 10k times were within seconds of being achieved..,I was 1:30 off the 10 mile and 5 minutes off the half prediction. I think I just needed more time training at the paces...training faster wouldn't have helped me.

And my goals this year are for pbs but bit by bit and not blowing up trying to take huge chunks off. I want get faster and stronger at various distances but in a nice steady way. Happy to go with what you and Paul are saying.

Kellygirl wrote:
    I remember you saying it before and have kept in mind. Thanks for the advice guys.

It's one of the downsides to following plans. The runs are set and all you have to play with are paces whereas in an ideal world you'd be working on the specifics of where you're weaknesses are, if that makes sense.

For example my "comeback" since December has involved a lot of tempo stuff with some turnover work. If I was following a plan if be doing all sorts of stuff that I probably shouldn't be.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Super race and what a satisying time. Congrats.

I’d agree to taking a week off before starting a new schedule, although Im not familiar with the plan. Re week 8 - personally I’m not a fan of treading water mid-plan. I’d do as much of it as possible on the trip and move on. I think that’s better or equally as good as a skipped/all-easy week. But whatever works. In the scheme of things, if youre completing 90% of any plan youre doing great.

Training paces? My own habit is to reevaluate after every race but it doesn’t result in much change anymore as improvement tends to be marginal. Your experience may be different, and if you’ve earned the right to train at faster paces, I’d say take it.

Advertisement