Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ah that's great to hear! Well not the torture part, but the rest! And the torture is probably worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Thanks all. Good news. Sheer torture session but nothing weird showed up and no lumps / bumps / scarring in the quad. IT Bands both ridiculously tight, hips rotating or something and my form wasn’t good lunging so hopefully all fixed and good to do my session tomorrow. Phew!

That's great news! Out of interest do you know if the poor form on the lunge was a cause or effect of the tightness in the quad/hip flexor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    That's great news! Out of interest do you know if the poor form on the lunge was a cause or effect of the tightness in the quad/hip flexor?

In all honesty I don’t know. My knee was falling in which was pulling on my hip. Hopefully I’ll do them correctly from now on.

In all honesty I don’t know. My knee was falling in which was pulling on my hip. Hopefully I’ll do them correctly from now on.
    Your knee falling in is most likely due to weak glutes iirc. The S&C coach i went to when i hurt my knee that time 2 years ago had me doing lunges in front of a mirror to get the form right and he had me stop as soon as the form started to slip. At the start i could barely do 1 properly on my injured side but i built up slowly.

ariana` wrote: »
    Your knee falling in is most likely due to weak glutes iirc. The S&C coach i went to when i hurt my knee that time 2 years ago had me doing lunges in front of a mirror to get the form right and he had me stop as soon as the form started to slip. At the start i could barely do 1 properly on my injured side but i built up slowly.

Funny you say that. My coach is sending me videos of correct form and I’ve to place a chair in front of the mirror and do single leg step ups watching my form too.

With the lunges I’ve to pretend there are newspapers under each arm that I can’t drop and amazing how that helped me engage my upper body and also press the toe into the ground and keep the knee out. I’ll use the mirror for them too now that you’ve suggested it.

• Advertisement

Funny you say that. My coach is sending me videos of correct form and I’ve to place a chair in front of the mirror and do single leg step ups watching my form too.

With the lunges I’ve to pretend there are newspapers under each arm that I can’t drop and amazing how that helped me engage my upper body and also press the toe into the ground and keep the knee out. I’ll use the mirror for them too now that you’ve suggested it.

Yeah, i did those ones in front of a mirror too, my knee was falling in on them as well :o I actually started those on a low enough step, much lower than a chair i'd say, and the coach gradually moved me to a higher step and eventually progressed on to doing them with a band across above the knees & holding kettlebells etc but i started small and built up slowly... I really need to start doing all that again, i'd say i'm back to square one :rolleyes: Fair play for making the time, best of luck with it.

Monday 29th: 50-60mins easy: 52 mins 5 miles @ 10:27
    Sweat fest as usual at the moment. Didn’t push it as quad was a bit tired from the long run the previous day.

Tuesday: Physical Therapist
    Torture and tight back, IT Bands but the good news was no lumps or bumps showing up in the quad so good to get back to training. It’s still there slightly but I can run away no problem and stayed in touch with the therapist throughout the week and back Tuesday week to him again.

Wednesday: 3x(2k@MP, 1’ jog, 1Km@LT; 3’ Rec)
    MP: 8:55-9:05; LT: 8:05-8:15

This was the session I’d to abandon the week previously so my coach had rewritten the plan and added it in for this week. On Wednesday morning she texted and told me take out 4x400 VO2s at the end as we’d keep the very pacey stuff for another day.

I set off and did a 15 min warmup as was waiting for a phone call and as soon as I gave up and 20 seconds into my first rep the phone rang. :rolleyes: Stopoed, took the call and off I went. I got ready to go straight into the 1km LT rep after the 2Km MP and then got confused and thought I’d wrong workout as forgot I’d 1min jogs b/w MP and LT. I kept going at LT and did that for 5 mins and moved onto the 3 min recovery and took out my phone to look at the workout while I was jogging and then copped what went wrong. Kept going then and all fine after that. My pacing is the bane of my life and I just can’t seem to get even pacing. I invariably shoot off too fast and slow down too much trying to balance it out. The park doesn’t help with tree cover. Not too bad I suppose though.

1st set: MP: 8:49; 9:10 ; LT: 7:51; 8:20 (mixed up laps)
    2nd set: MP: 8:58; 9:21; LT: 8:13
    3rd set: MP: 8:51; 9:10; LT: 8:13

9 miles in total.

Thursday: Very easy 45 mins: 4.06 miles @ 11:05

My only chance to do this was get up early and I went to Ballincollig and decided on an out and back route through the village. I was wearing my new HOKA’s for the first time. By the time I got to 1.5 miles. Knew I was getting blisters on my arches, stopped at 2 miles to try readjust my shoes / socks but no help. Petroleum stations were just opening at 7 so I went in to 2 looking for blister plasters but they just looked at me as if I’d 10 heads and 2nd guy sent me to Tesco. Found some in there, had to ask the woman how to use Apple Pay on my phone and got them. She asked did I run a lot and I said a fair bit alright. She announced that I looked amazing and was so inspirational and she was very jealous. I don’t know the lady from Adam but it was very nice of her :D The blister plasters did sweet f all so walked for a bit and then ran the last bit. Waste of a morning :o

Friday: WU; 4x(2’CV, 45s, 1’AP, 45s, 2’CV, 3’rec) CD
    Nervous of the faster paces in this one and took myself to the Coachford Greenway to hopefully help with the pacing. It’s only 2.5km long but handy for short intervals. Anyway, turns out I really enjoyed the session and did well at it. The first set was probably the hardest and felt more warmed up after that for the others. Paces not perfect again. Even when I thought I was slowly getting to the right pace I was too fast at the start and had to slow down.

CV: 7:45-55; AP: 7:25-35

1st set: 7:45; 7:37; 7:33
    2nd set: 7:49; 7:18; 7:45
    3rd set: 8:01; 7:17; 7:40
    4th set: 7:51; 7:38; 7:52

Saturday: 2 hrs eays-easy mod with last 30 mins at MP
    This was my 4th day in a row and not ideal but I have a wedding next Friday and 2 days not running so trying to make sure I got everything done and it was mainly an easy long run anyway. I’d a bad night’s sleep before it and was woken again at 6:30 by my eldest. Tried to get back to sleep but looking at the forecast I could see there looked to be a window of lighter rain between 8 and 10 so I got up and went for it. Had planned to run into the back of parkrun for the last 25 mins or so but started late and miscalculated when to turn around when heading for town I was a nice easy run and no bother and then I picked up the pace after 1:30 and headed for the park. I’d worn a sleeveless rain jacket and was regretting it as the humidity was unreal and I was sweating like no tomorrow. Planned on taking it off as I passed the start of parkrun. As I ran into the park they were on their 2nd lap so they must have started on time as it was now 9:44. I joined in as a downpour started so kept the jacket on. I decided then I wouldn’t do parkrun as didn’t feel like another 5km so left them again and did a lap around another pitch and then joined back in. I ran around the finish line but it was really congested trying to get out of the park to do my last 3-4 mins and had to stop. Picked it up again and got back to the car like a drowned muddy rat. My MP miles were 9:03; 9:06; 9:10 and 9:20 for the last few mins. I’d wanted more like 8:50-55 but I’d a heavy week and ran some on grass too. No big deal. I’d be happy if I really could do the above paces on race day.

36.3 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Wednesday: 3x(2k@MP, 1’ jog, 1Km@LT; 3’ Rec)
    MP: 8:55-9:05; LT: 8:05-8:15

This was the session I’d to abandon the week previously so my coach had rewritten the plan and added it in for this week. On Wednesday morning she texted and told me take out 4x400 VO2s at the end as we’d keep the very pacey stuff for another day.

I set off and did a 15 min warmup as was waiting for a phone call and as soon as I gave up and 20 seconds into my first rep the phone rang. :rolleyes: Stopoed, took the call and off I went. I got ready to go straight into the 1km LT rep after the 2Km MP and then got confused and thought I’d wrong workout as forgot I’d 1min jogs b/w MP and LT. I kept going at LT and did that for 5 mins and moved onto the 3 min recovery and took out my phone to look at the workout while I was jogging and then copped what went wrong. Kept going then and all fine after that. My pacing is the bane of my life and I just can’t seem to get even pacing. I invariably shoot off too fast and slow down too much trying to balance it out. The park doesn’t help with tree cover. Not too bad I suppose though.

Thursday: Very easy 45 mins: 4.06 miles @ 11:05

My only chance to do this was get up early and I went to Ballincollig and decided on an out and back route through the village. I was wearing my new HOKA’s for the first time. By the time I got to 1.5 miles. Knew I was getting blisters on my arches, stopped at 2 miles to try readjust my shoes / socks but no help. Petroleum stations were just opening at 7 so I went in to 2 looking for blister plasters but they just looked at me as if I’d 10 heads and 2nd guy sent me to Tesco. Found some in there, had to ask the woman how to use Apple Pay on my phone and got them. She asked did I run a lot and I said a fair bit alright. She announced that I looked amazing and was so inspirational and she was very jealous. I don’t know the lady from Adam but it was very nice of her :D The blister plasters did sweet f all so walked for a bit and then ran the last bit. Waste of a morning :o

Friday: WU; 4x(2’CV, 45s, 1’AP, 45s, 2’CV, 3’rec) CD
    Nervous of the faster paces in this one and took myself to the Coachford Greenway to hopefully help with the pacing. It’s only 2.5km long but handy for short intervals. Anyway, turns out I really enjoyed the session and did well at it. The first set was probably the hardest and felt more warmed up after that for the others. Paces not perfect again. Even when I thought I was slowly getting to the right pace I was too fast at the start and had to slow down.[/quote]

My pacing is exactly the same . I don’t think my garmin helps because it takes 50/100m to kick back to fast after a jog test . It drives me insane - even with MP I’m useless . I can do 5:10 or 6:20 and that’s it !

Well done on doing 30 mins MP at end of long run- I’ m starting adding MP this week and I’m dreading it. Do you just run your normal route and hope it’s not too hilly for the MP bit?

Are you running any ten mile races before your half ? Have you an idea of what half time to aim for ?

Stalking you on strava has definitely been good for my motivation - your early morning runs have given me a kick up the arse once or twice !

Ah I normally plan my route and if finishing with MP I try to run in parkrun. It’s not majorly hilly round here though unless and just a few drags on my usual long routes and so tend to just ignore them as can’t ignore them on the day. If it was a steep hill I’d drop the pace but pick it up the other side to balance it out.

I’ve a 10km race in two weeks, a 10 mile the week after but doing it as part of a session and then Charleville is the 15th. To be honest I plan on just trying to get pbs in the 10km and Charleville and can maybe judge Dublin after that. So I want to beat 49:56 and 1:53:04. Last year I used aim for times that were perhaps unattainable so this year I’ve just chipped away at my PBs and it’s worked. Hopefully will this time too!!

Monday: Planned 35-40 easy; Actual 1 hr, 5.64 miles @ 10:58
    A friend was joining me but she was late so I’d nearly 3 very slow miles down by the time she joined me. Not sure if it was the S&C the day before or what but I was really plodding. The legs were easing out as my friend joined me so I kept going for an hour and felt good after.

Tuesday: 15' W/U, 2 x 3' CV, 3 x 2' AP, 6 x 1' V02, 8 x 30s AnP ; 1’ rec between reps and 5’ Jog between sets

CV 7:45-55: 8:05; 7:55
    AP 7:25-35: 7:21; 7:40; 7:30
    VO2 7:15-20: 7:16; 7:28; 7:31; 7:27; 7:45; 7:27
    AnP 6:20-40: 6:41; 6:51; 6:30; 6:44; 6:19; 6:42; 6:24; 6:19

A friend called and asked could she join me on Tuesday so sent her my Garmin Connect programmed session and she set her watch up too. It was great having the company even if we nearly mowed down a few toddlers doing our laps around the pitches in the park. A few tried to get us back riding their bikes across the path in front of us during sprints etc. Anyway, this was one tough session. I very rarely walk between reps but my friend suggested it at one stage and I was only two happy to and we walked all the reps between the 8x30s sprints. It was 8 miles in total in the end and I had to go shopping and then picking up the kids from camp looking like a complete wreck!

Wednesday: Very easy 5 miles: 5.18miles @ 10:51
    I came home a drowned rat and apparently the only place it rained was the regional park. Everybody looked at me oddly when I said I got soaked in the rain. It was so warm it was nice though.

Thursday: 8x1km @ LT (8:05-15) with 90s recovery

8:09; 8:04; 8:18; 8:07; 8:14; 8:19; 8:17; 8:22

I’d had a different 2nd session planned for this week but we’d a wedding on Friday so that meant no running Saturday either as we were away. My coach changed the session as I wouldn’t have been fully recovered from Tuesday to go doing the planned hills. I got this beauty instead :rolleyes:

It was tough for the last few reps. Very nearly called it a day after the 6th rep. Very hot out and of course brought no water. I walked the last recovery though and managed to run the last rep and luckily finished near the coffee shop so got a bottle of water and then jogged back to the car. 8.30 miles in total.

Hit 900 miles towards the end of the run.

Sunday: Planned 2:20 easy; Actual: 15:05 miles @ 9:50 (2:28)
    Legs were fresh from the start and I wondered if that would change. It didn’t though. I felt great. I had brought a very out of date isogel (3/19) just in case but I didn’t need it. I have a whole box of the gels :rolleyes: I met a friend at the 10 mile mark and she joined in with me and I went down to the park with her to accompany her back to her car. I knew it was adding a bit on but I was a bit faster than I thought I would be anyway. I picked up the pace for the last mile and even though I passed the 2:20 park I ran on to get to 15 miles. Very pleased it felt so easy and I needed no gel. I was very thirsty by the end alright.

42.1 miles for the week. Highest mileage since before DCM 18.

• Advertisement

That’s some week ! Well done ! The mid week sessions look tough out !

Can I ask why did you do the long run with no fueling ? You seem like you didn’t need it in the end but curious to know why - is it part of the coaches strategy?

Bluesquare wrote: »
    That’s some week ! Well done ! The mid week sessions look tough out !

Can I ask why did you do the long run with no fueling ? You seem like you didn’t need it in the end but curious to know why - is it part of the coaches strategy?

Haven’t actually discussed it with my coach. I must do. I suppose I just wanted to see could I do it. I always depended on gels or jellies or something for even doing a 10 miler. Last year I used manage 13 miles without and I just wanted to see how I’d do yesterday. I’m always seeing people doing longer runs here taking nothing. Now I had breakfast alright - porridge and two medjool dates so maybe that was what kept me going. Also I suppose I was running well within myself so not burning glycogen too fast.

That's a serious week there, well done! Great training going on.

eyrie wrote: »
    That's a serious week there, well done! Great training going on.

Thanks C.

Week 1 phase 3 DCM training

Monday: 60’ easy: 6.19 miles @ 10:17
    Nice chatty run with a friend in sunny weather.

4miles easy; 2x(4x45 sec hills)

I had a sports massage first and while legs were in good shape my back was tight. Have a bit of a pain above my left hip and lower back so need to watch that. He gave me the go ahead to do my session so off I went straight after. Ran around Ballyphehane for the 4 miles easy looking at hills and comparing them. Decided on one near Tory Top Park which made it convenient to go in there for my drills as I’d have felt an eegit doing them on the street as residential and people seemed to be out chatting everywhere. I was told to do the hills at 10k pace but to be honest I just ran at a pace I thought I could keep up and majority were faster than my hoped for 10k pace. They were tough but I did them and jogged back to the car. 7.1 miles in total.

Wednesday: 40-45 very easy: 5 miles @ 10 min mile
    Had to run this before my husband went to work and met a friend. My legs don’t like rolling out of bed and running straight away and my friend runs faster than me so wasn’t a very easy run like it should have been.

Thursday: Rest

Friday: 5x1km AP (7:25-35) with 2:30 recovery
    Had to book a babysitter for this so no choice then when I could go so had to head off even thought pouring out of the heavens. Was in no humour for it. I also had my doubts I could keep up that pace for 1km. The warm up mile was a slog and I did a couple of strides to get the legs moving. Each of the 1kms were a slog too. All I wanted to do was stop and I walked the recoveries. I just wasn’t in the humour to try. I gave up on the 5th rep and jogged back a bit of the way. I was disappointed with it and in bad humour afterwards but looking back at it the bit I did was ok and more of a fast CV session so I’ll bank that and move on.

Paces were 7:47; 7:49; 7:36; 7:40

Saturday: rest so volunteered as timekeeper at parkrun

Sunday: 17 miles: 5 Easy Mod; 5 MP; 1 EM; 3Moderate; 3 MP
    5 Easy Mod(9:20-10:10) 9:45; 9:49; 9:38; 10:04; 10:08
    5 MP (8:50-55) 9:06; 8:43; 9:01; 9:04; 8:56
    1 Easy Mod: 9:55
    3 Moderate (9:00-9:20) 9:12; 9;17; 9:29
    3 MP (8:50-55) 8:53; 8:54; 8:46

Very pleased with this run. Was nervous after a great long run last week that I’d suffer this week especially after Friday too. Had Carrot Cake overnight oats (very nice) and two dates for breakfast. Chose to go over to Rochestown and do a large loop and the smaller one so I’d be changing direction frequently as the winds were strong coming from the West. First 5 miles were absolutely fine and just a few drags but legs still felt fresh starting into the MP miles then at mile 6. This was the hilliest part of my route so paces not completely even but I was happy overall. I didn’t push too hard for fear of blowing up. Running through Blackrock market was lovely. There were so many runners there who’d finished group runs. I took an isogel at just after 1 hour though didn’t feel I needed it. The Easy Mod mile at mile 11 was a bit of a drag for some reason and then as I turned to head into the wind again I upped the pace to moderate. Those 3 miles were fine though the wind was strong. Cooling though compare to when it was on my back and I felt I was sizzling. Took my 2nd isogel (caffeine this time) as I passed the 2nd hour. Time to up the pace to MP again just before I hit the one hill on this lap. Tore up it anyway and was determined to be on pace for these. All was grand though I was breathing fairly heavily alright. The last mile was directly into the wind and I felt I was going nowhere at times so really pushed and was really pleased to see 8:46 after. The only faster mile was mile 7 and that had some steep downhills so very happy with my last mile. Strolled back to the car and stretched and headed to the shop for more drinks. I’d brought 550 mls with me and needed every drop. Downed my 750 mls water when I got to the car and was still thirsty. Delighted with the run though.

40.4 miles for the week.

This week just has one session and the Rose 10km next week. Really hoping for a pb (currently 49:56) but will see what happens.

Great long run ! The MP in a long run looks intimidating on paper - for me anyway . Your fitness is apparent blasting through that work out after two sessions earlier on in the week! My schedule has MP during long run periodically but only preceded by two sessions once. I like the idea of the second gel having caffeine - my legs get achey way before my energy runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

another fantastic week K:D

Great long run ! The MP in a long run looks intimidating on paper - for me anyway . Your fitness is apparent blasting through that work out after two sessions earlier on in the week! My schedule has MP during long run periodically but only preceded by two sessions once. I like the idea of the second gel having caffeine - my legs get achey way before my energy runs out.

Thanks R. Not sure I really needed the caffeine but I had the gel at home so brought it with me. My legs were absolutely fine today but I was breathing heavily at that pace so maybe it’s too fast for me realistically for DCM. Not sure really. My coach mentioned the object of the faster paces in sessions is to ultimately make MP more comfortable. That seems to be working anyway as I felt comfortable throughout today except that battle into the wind in the last mile.

Somebody mentioned to me that the mixed pace in the long run also was effective for a course like dcm where you would expect to run slower for first 10k - it gives you practice at switching gear and upping the pace .

We are doing our long runs on tired legs and accumulative fatigue. On the day of the marathon we will be as fresh as Daisies and the pace we are practicing now will be second nature .

Somebody mentioned to me that the mixed pace in the long run also was effective for a course like dcm where you would expect to run slower for first 10k - it gives you practice at switching gear and upping the pace .

We are doing our long runs on tired legs and accumulative fatigue. On the day of the marathon we will be as fresh as Daisies and the pace we are practicing now will be second nature .

I was only thinking that today while I was running actually, about the slow start to DCM and that in one way you don’t run very much of it at one particular pace. In 2017 when I did a great run there I started off so slow and got faster every 10km so technically I was well faster than MP at the end. Hoping for the same this year.

• Advertisement

I was only thinking that today while I was running actually, about the slow start to DCM and that in one way you don’t run very much of it at one particular pace. In 2017 when I did a great run there I started off so slow and got faster every 10km so technically I was well faster than MP at the end. Hoping for the same this year.

An enjoyable marathon ! Who knew! I will have one of those please !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Week 1 phase 3 DCM training

Monday: 60’ easy: 6.19 miles @ 10:17
    Nice chatty run with a friend in sunny weather.

4miles easy; 2x(4x45 sec hills)

I had a sports massage first and while legs were in good shape my back was tight. Have a bit of a pain above my left hip and lower back so need to watch that. He gave me the go ahead to do my session so off I went straight after. Ran around Ballyphehane for the 4 miles easy looking at hills and comparing them. Decided on one near Tory Top Park which made it convenient to go in there for my drills as I’d have felt an eegit doing them on the street as residential and people seemed to be out chatting everywhere. I was told to do the hills at 10k pace but to be honest I just ran at a pace I thought I could keep up and majority were faster than my hoped for 10k pace. They were tough but I did them and jogged back to the car. 7.1 miles in total.

Wednesday: 40-45 very easy: 5 miles @ 10 min mile
    Had to run this before my husband went to work and met a friend. My legs don’t like rolling out of bed and running straight away and my friend runs faster than me so wasn’t a very easy run like it should have been.

Thursday: Rest

Friday: 5x1km AP (7:25-35) with 2:30 recovery
    Had to book a babysitter for this so no choice then when I could go so had to head off even thought pouring out of the heavens. Was in no humour for it. I also had my doubts I could keep up that pace for 1km. The warm up mile was a slog and I did a couple of strides to get the legs moving. Each of the 1kms were a slog too. All I wanted to do was stop and I walked the recoveries. I just wasn’t in the humour to try. I gave up on the 5th rep and jogged back a bit of the way. I was disappointed with it and in bad humour afterwards but looking back at it the bit I did was ok and more of a fast CV session so I’ll bank that and move on.

Paces were 7:47; 7:49; 7:36; 7:40

Saturday: rest so volunteered as timekeeper at parkrun

Sunday: 17 miles: 5 Easy Mod; 5 MP; 1 EM; 3Moderate; 3 MP
    5 Easy Mod(9:20-10:10) 9:45; 9:49; 9:38; 10:04; 10:08
    5 MP (8:50-55) 9:06; 8:43; 9:01; 9:04; 8:56
    1 Easy Mod: 9:55
    3 Moderate (9:00-9:20) 9:12; 9;17; 9:29
    3 MP (8:50-55) 8:53; 8:54; 8:46

Very pleased with this run. Was nervous after a great long run last week that I’d suffer this week especially after Friday too. Had Carrot Cake overnight oats (very nice) and two dates for breakfast. Chose to go over to Rochestown and do a large loop and the smaller one so I’d be changing direction frequently as the winds were strong coming from the West. First 5 miles were absolutely fine and just a few drags but legs still felt fresh starting into the MP miles then at mile 6. This was the hilliest part of my route so paces not completely even but I was happy overall. I didn’t push too hard for fear of blowing up. Running through Blackrock market was lovely. There were so many runners there who’d finished group runs. I took an isogel at just after 1 hour though didn’t feel I needed it. The Easy Mod mile at mile 11 was a bit of a drag for some reason and then as I turned to head into the wind again I upped the pace to moderate. Those 3 miles were fine though the wind was strong. Cooling though compare to when it was on my back and I felt I was sizzling. Took my 2nd isogel (caffeine this time) as I passed the 2nd hour. Time to up the pace to MP again just before I hit the one hill on this lap. Tore up it anyway and was determined to be on pace for these. All was grand though I was breathing fairly heavily alright. The last mile was directly into the wind and I felt I was going nowhere at times so really pushed and was really pleased to see 8:46 after. The only faster mile was mile 7 and that had some steep downhills so very happy with my last mile. Strolled back to the car and stretched and headed to the shop for more drinks. I’d brought 550 mls with me and needed every drop. Downed my 750 mls water when I got to the car and was still thirsty. Delighted with the run though.

40.4 miles for the week.

This week just has one session and the Rose 10km next week. Really hoping for a pb (currently 49:56) but will see what happens.

There are sessions similar to the 5x1k AP in the FRR half plan and oh man, they are so tough, I ended up just skipping them :o

You're doing some great running. Love reading about your sessions.

An enjoyable marathon ! Who knew! I will have one of those please !

No joke. I had a ball for the entire race. Not sure it can ever be recreated again.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    There are sessions similar to the 5x1k AP in the FRR half plan and oh man, they are so tough, I ended up just skipping them :o

You're doing some great running. Love reading about your sessions.

Thanks E. Must pull that book out again actually. I find them great and have
    the marathon one too and use them for reference a lot but haven’t in a while.

Really enjoying following your training K, and it's great to see how well you're doing with it. Glad you're feeling better about Friday's session in hindsight as it looks like you still put in a good one to me anyway, and then followed up with that super long run on Sunday. A great week there, well done!

eyrie wrote: »
    Really enjoying following your training K, and it's great to see how well you're doing with it. Glad you're feeling better about Friday's session in hindsight as it looks like you still put in a good one to me anyway, and then followed up with that super long run on Sunday. A great week there, well done!

Thanks C. Yes I’m well over it now. Had a look at the similar session in the FRR earlier actually - seems even harder :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Best of luck in the 10k, K!

Thanks E.

Best of luck - is your race tomorrow or Sunday ?

You have got this for sure !

Not till Sunday thank god as I’ve the worst DOMs from lateral lunges and squats the other day. Gave up after 2 miles this morning.

• Advertisement

Tralee Rose 10k

My first race since I signed up with my coach after Cork. After PBing in 7 out of 7 races for the first half of the year the pressure was on to PB today. My previous PB was 49:56 so while I’d said I wanted sub 49m when I signed up with M I had decided I was more likely to be around 49:12 ... because the Tinman calculator said so.

A friend of mine living in Kerry said he’d pace me which scared the hell out of me as I don’t normally do well with pacers but I knew it was worth trying and also he does it in an official capacity so much that I knew he’d be brilliant.

My friend collected me from my hotel round 10:15am and we jogged into the start line. It was very warm and I felt a bit dizzy and light headed at the start but that went away. Probably nerves. We stopped and stretched and did 3 strides and walked to the start. My coach rang to know If I’d taken electrolyte tablets as humidity was ridiculously high and she had just done a run. I hadn’t (even though Baby75 warned me to) so she said she’d be on the route and would give a me salt stick one.

We lined up with one group facing one direction and another facing the opposite direction. Nobody knew which way we were going! That was decided and last year’s Rose blew the whistle and we were off. I chased E around the slower runners and walkers who had placed themselves up the front. I got that dizzy feeling again and panicked my race would be over before it began. Legs felt fine though and that feeling went away. First mile (7:33) was a bit fast but the wind was behind us and running with the crowds a bit. E made sure I was following the racing line and gave me water regularly. I slowed a bit to settle myself as I was panicking a bit. 2nd mile was 7:44 and I was breathing heavily. We passed M who gave E the salt tab and I took that and more water. Needed to settle myself a bit after that and we were now running along the canal / river which was very exposed and against the wind. E told me tuck in behind him and we ran on. He poured water over my head and back to cool me down - real royal treatment for this race! It was roasting but the wind helped a bit in terms of cooling.

The 3rd and 4th miles came in at 8:05 and then we turned off and away from the wind. I was struggling but clinging on to E. We’d a hill in the 5th mile - to be fair it was just a drag for about 300m I think but we slowed to 8:30 pace for that and the overall mile was 8:08. E checked what my PB was previously and started to push me. I thought it was because we weren’t going to make it but he’s just told me now it was to work out what pace we could drop to on the hill which was 9:10 apparently. I didn’t think I could go any faster and also got a stitch somewhere round there. He was pouring water over me non stop which was so helpful and I was trying to wet my face too. We’d a downhill then and he told me match him stride for stride and only a mile to go. It was so tough but the downhill bit helped for a while and it flattened out then. E was counting down the distance, 800m, 500m etc and I was trying but felt I couldn’t pick up the pace. I actually did and the last mile was 7:46 with 6:53 for the bit extra. Heard my husband and boys shouting but didn’t see them. The finish line had 47:xx showing - I was going to do this. I went through at 48:20 on my watch and nearly fell over with exhaustion. E got me water and protein milk. I was puce and soaked through from all the water over my head!

My watch measured the distance as 6.14 miles so not quite 10k for Garmin Connect to give me a pb.

I’ll take my 48:22 though and can’t believe I got a pb of 1min34 secs faster than my last. It took a while to recover a settle down and for it to sink in as I was so wrecked.

My coach appeared and I met a few of her other clients who did really well. There were PBs all round and very happy people.

Delighted with myself!

Advertisement