Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coincidence or Fate???

• 07-11-2017 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ok I've had a few very weird "coincidences" in my life...the most least (I know my English is weird but you get it) coincidental being the following.....

I am adopted. I met my birth mother once(pre arranged) I gave her some pictures of me. I never saw her again. I had never met any of my siblings.

3 years later I was walking through an airport. I got in the lift. A woman walked in behind me (not my birth mother). I turned and pressed the floor and turned back around so my back was to her. She saw half of my face for about 2 seconds. I'm getting out at my floor and as I walk out she says ... excuse me. I turn and look. She says... do you know someone called Mary(name changed). I say No. she says do you know someone called Mary from Dublin (place changed). I look at her in the eye and I say Bridie? (Name changed). And she says Una?(name changed) and I go to myself..holy fudge(swear changed).

It was my birth sister.

And that's not all... a similar occurrence happened a year later with my birth brother even though I'd had no contact with any of them since I met the sister. Like wtf is the universe telling me?

Is this fate. Or a coincidence? And something similar but not as meaningful(or is it) happened this weekend with a girl from school, who I haven't met since school (20 years ago) but have been thinking of a lot recently!

What do you all think?

It might be more of a mind blower to know I work on airplanes and the brother and friend just happened to walk onto the particular flights I was working on those particular days ..... I know right! Once is maybe a like WOW cool but 3 times???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Circumstances OP

I think it is circumstances OP

There must be about 9 Bilion people in the word at this stage, I think fate has given up on us if it ever gave us any consideration in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I would have to agree with the above: circumstance.

You said it yourself: you work in and around airports. Airports are like little bottlenecks where people from all walks of life are naturally funneled closer together. And most of us have need to visit airports several times in our lives these days. In a small country like Ireland you have very few airports (bottlenecks) available to you when travelling: Dublin, Shannon, Knock? So if you work in or around one of these airports you're chances of bumping into people is far more probable than say someone who works in a cafe in a small village on the west coast.

Admittedly the probabilities are still quite small that you happen to get in a lift with your long-lost sister, but it's not beyond coincidence. It doesn't make it any less special a moment, just because it is not written in the stars, so to speak.

In conclusion: the concept of fated occurrences is a lovely idea - but I don't subscribe

And for what it's worth: the story about how you met your brother and sister is really charming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It might be more of a mind blower to know I work on airplanes and the brother and friend just happened to walk onto the particular flights I was working on those particular days ..... I know right! Once is maybe a like WOW cool but 3 times???

How many flights do you work on per year? A few hundred I'd guess. How many people on board each flight? Again, a few hundred. So you probably interact with over thousands and thousands of passengers per year. The flight above is only of "particular" because your brother got on. If he got on a different flight, that's the particular flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its just probabilities , it would be mathematically odd if rare interactions didn't happen. Ive bumped into a neighbour in Liverpool St train station in London. A friend of mine bumped into her uncle on top of Table Mountain in South Africa. It might be memorable but not significant

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement