Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying hair - greys!

Options
  • 07-11-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice!

I am nearly 40 :(:eek: and I have tried home dyes on my blonde hair to cover grey hair but the pesky stuff seems to be so resistant to it (regardless of how long I leave it on for), not sure whether to try a different brand or would a salon work better to hide them?

I guess I am afraid of spending a fortune at the salon to not see a difference :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I'd be careful if you decide to go to a salon. I'm the same age and on my third salon now as the previous two have not managed to cover my extremely resistant white hairs. I kept telling them to make the dye stronger or leave it on for longer but somehow the message was not getting through. Very frustrating when you are spending a fair bit of money. I was thinking at one stage of trying the home dye so it's good to know that it doesn't work any better. I got it done two weeks ago in the new place (Zeba) and it seems like a better job this time, although I am seeing them fade a little already and the white is coming through, sigh, but then I'm very dark haired.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

If you've only been using box dyes to cover your grey, they're formulated for a 'one size fits all' situation so your hair might not actually be resistant at all, but normal white/grey hair does need a specific formula.
    Leaving the colour on longer won't make any real difference as the colour stops developing after a certain time, unlike bleach.

In some cases your hair needs prepping prior to colouring to help open the cuticle layer to accept the colour. Ask the hairdresser to do a strand test first to check how resistant it is.

Also, most hairdressers only complete the basic colouring course so might not be experienced enough to tackle more complex colour work. Ideally, you need to find one that has completed additional colour training.

Advertisement