Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould

Options
  • 07-11-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice on an issue I'm having in the house I rent.

We've been in the house for about a year, and we are the first tenants. Its a bungalow, was vacant for a few years before my landlord renovated it. Aesthetically its a stunning little spot but we've had issues with mould from the word go.

Due to the layout of the house, the only ventilation comes from 1 x velux window in the bedroom, 1 x small window in the kitchen/living area and 1 x small window in the bathroom. There does appear to be a vent in the bathroom. There are no other windows besides this.

There are mould spots all over the ceiling and walls. Its also appearing on shoes, jackets, and our curtains and headboards. Its also inside our cupboards in our kitchen.

We leave the windows open all day while we're at work and the house holds no heat, so the heating is turned on for about 5-6 hours in the evening in the bedroom and kitchen/living area. The house has very poor insulation and its always freezing. We would both wear dressing gowns, use hot water bottles and have a blanket over us just watching tv in the evenings, even with the heating turned on.

We don't dry clothes in the house and have an electrical dehumidifier running most days while we're at work, by the time we get home in the evening the dish to collect the water is always full.

The situation isn't improving and its getting to the point where the keyhole in the front door will be dripping moisture when I put my key in in the morning, and there are pools of condensed water on the windowsill after dripping down the window, the pools of water are large enough it would take a small towel to dry it up.

Landlord doesn't want to know and blames us for not leaving the windows open for long enough during the day but surely that wouldn't cause such a severe mould problem? A relative of theirs did all the renovating work and I don't think he's even a builder by trade, just a handy man!

Any advice or anything I can do to improve the situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

well do you dry the pools of water around the windowsill in the mornings? do you wipe down the condensation off your window in the mornings?

I know it sounds stupid but if you dont and it's sitting around all day that's the water that's filling your dehumidifier not any damp that has seeped in anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

well do you dry the pools of water around the windowsill in the mornings? do you wipe down the condensation off your window in the mornings?

I know it sounds stupid but if you dont and it's sitting around all day that's the water that's filling your dehumidifier not any damp that has seeped in anywhere.

Any pools of water on the widowsill or condensation of the door lock/handle are dried immediately when noticed, we check a few times a day for them.The windows themselves are wiped every morning as well. We don't even leave water in the sink when washing dishes.

Despite this the problem is getting worse rather than improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Landlord doesn't want to know and blames us for not leaving the windows open for long enough during the day but surely that wouldn't cause such a severe mould problem? A relative of theirs did all the renovating work and I don't think he's even a builder by trade, just a handy man!

Any advice or anything I can do to improve the situation?

The Landlord has renovated the place but it sounds like he didn't bother to vent or insulate it properly. Now he expects you to leave the windows open in order to alleviate the mould problem.

That's downright unreasonable of him. It'll be a pain in the arse living there through the winter. You'll have problems with a cold, uncomfortable house, keeping on top of moisture and mould will be additional work. I note from what you say that you can't dry clothes in the house. A cold, moist and mouldy house is not ideal from a health perspective, either. Keeping the windows open during the day is less than ideal from a security aspect.

You also mention that you have to run a dehumidifier. There is the cost of that too.

At the very least, he should be trying to vent the place but it sounds like he has already refused.

I'd be looking to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd be looking to move.

Agreed.

The house needs to have work carried out on it to resolve the issue. The kitchen and bathrooms should be fitted with extract fans and living and bedrooms should be fitted with wall vents.

The mould is growing due to damp conditions and heating will not resolve it as mould actually prefers to grow in warmer conditions (provided there is still moisture). The source of the damp could be leaks or condensation from the air forming on cold surfaces such as uninsulated walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

After you wipe the windows and soak up the pools of whater around what do you do with the cloths/towels etc. Not much point in soaking up the water if you leave the wet towel to dry inside the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Thanks for the advice thus far. We especially don't like leaving the windows open because the house is on a main road with a lot of passing cars and footfall. We only recently got blinds (at our own expense) so used to leave the curtains closed during the day for security/privacy reasons while we weren't home. The landlord is of the opinion that because we had the curtains closed (albeit with the window open) that it blocked the air from circulating and all the mould is therefore our own fault.

We can't dry clothes in the house and have no garden, so no clothes line. Everything has to go through the tumble drier which is expensive and not good for the clothes.

In regards to the pools of water, we'd generally use kitchen roll to mop it up and then put it straight in the bin. The bin is taken out on a dailty basis.There are no wet towels left hanging around the house.

I feel we've done all we can to rectify the issue. Maybe it is time to look at moving.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice thus far. We especially don't like leaving the windows open because the house is on a main road with a lot of passing cars and footfall. We only recently got blinds (at our own expense) so used to leave the curtains closed during the day for security/privacy reasons while we weren't home. The landlord is of the opinion that because we had the curtains closed (albeit with the window open) that it blocked the air from circulating and all the mould is therefore our own fault.

We can't dry clothes in the house and have no garden, so no clothes line. Everything has to go through the tumble drier which is expensive and not good for the clothes.

In regards to the pools of water, we'd generally use kitchen roll to mop it up and then put it straight in the bin. The bin is taken out on a dailty basis.There are no wet towels left hanging around the house.

I feel we've done all we can to rectify the issue. Maybe it is time to look at moving.

Is the dryer being properly ventilated outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I love the inquisition the OP is getting. Any house I've lived in has had no mould issues as described by the OP despite not doing any of the following:

Opening windows for hours on end
    Running a dehumidifier
    Having a ventilated dryer
    Wiping windows and throwing said paper towels in an external bin pretty much straight away.

This house is defective and if the LL cares for his business and his investment he'd rectify the con job of a property that it is. He's blessed he has the op based on what's being posted and still sees fit to blame the op and shirks any responsibility.

Op, move if you can. Get a paper trail ready now in case it ends up at he RTB regarding deposit retention or breaking of any fixed term lease etc

Browney7 wrote: »
    I love the inquisition the OP is getting. Any house I've lived in has had no mould issues as described by the OP despite not doing any of the following:

Opening windows for hours on end
    Running a dehumidifier
    Having a ventilated dryer
    Wiping windows and throwing said paper towels in an external bin pretty much straight away.

This house is defective and if the LL cares for his business and his investment he'd rectify the con job of a property that it is. He's blessed he has the op based on what's being posted and still sees fit to blame the op and shirks any responsibility.

Op, move if you can. Get a paper trail ready now in case it ends up at he RTB regarding deposit retention or breaking of any fixed term lease etc

Its not an inquisition. They are questions which will help narrow down causes to his problem.
    Its obvious that the overall problem is lack of natural ventilation in the property but we cant exactly advise him to drill a few holes in the wall.

I've lived in plenty of old houses with no ventilation and some general common sense prevents excessive damp and mold.

Its not an inquisition. They are questions which will help narrow down causes to his problem.
    Its obvious that the overall problem is lack of natural ventilation in the property but we cant exactly advise him to drill a few holes in the wall.

I've lived in plenty of old houses with no ventilation and some general common sense prevents excessive damp and mold.

I doubt leaving a wet kitchen towel lying around is capable of causing excessive mould in kitchen cupboards and wardrobes in fairness.

LL needs to rectify and not stick his finger in his ears and refuse to even countenance doing remedial works. It's as simple as that based on what the OP has outlined.

• Advertisement

I doubt leaving a wet kitchen towel lying around is capable of causing excessive mould in kitchen cupboards and wardrobes in fairness.

LL needs to rectify and not stick his finger in his ears and refuse to even countenance doing remedial works. It's as simple as that based on what the OP has outlined.

Leaving a soaking wet towel/cloth lying around day after day without property ventilation will eventually lead to the build up of a significant amount of moisture.

There is no point in cleaning the water from the windows etc if you keep that moisture in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Its sad reading this particularly the idea that keeping curtains closed is stopping air circulating! If you covered the window opening internally with a sheet of plastic/waterproof membrane such as Visqueen, the air would still circulate. Its very difficult make something air-tight or even draughtproof.
    Old houses generally didn't have mould because a) they were draughty so there were frequent air changes and b) lots, if not all including bedrooms, rooms had fireplaces which meant chimneys/flues ventilating the rooms. It seems to me that your problem is lack of ventilation including mechanical in bathrooms and other rooms and poor heating combined with inadequate insulation. The higher the air temperature, provided by a good efficient central heating system, the more water as vapour that the air can hold and vice versa. Generally windows, certainly single glazed windows, are locations for condensation with often mould growth in the corners of reveals. Because the surface temperature of the window internally is only a little higher than the outside air temperature the air temperature in contact with the window drops and that lower temp air canhold less water as vapour thanit did - hence condensation. Cold, poorly and uninsulated walls will show the same effect. Bathrooms are places where lots of water vapour is produced hence the need for fans and ditto over the cooker where saucepans of water with veg etc. are boiled. The longer term problem of mould growth and condensation is health issues such as colds, coughs and respiratory issues.
    Sorry for the long windedness but if he wont improve you will have no comfort there. I once used visit a house in north side of Dublina dn it was colder inside than outside so know what you are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Landlord has renovated the place but it sounds like he didn't bother to vent or insulate it properly. Now he expects you to leave the windows open in order to alleviate the mould problem.

You find most landlords blame mould in badly insulated houses with insufficient ventilation on tenants not leaving windows open all day.

OP if your landlord won act then I'd suggest investing in a dehumidifier.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You find most landlords blame mould in badly insulated houses with insufficient ventilation on tenants not leaving windows open all day.

OP if your landlord won act then I'd suggest investing in a dehumidifier.

He already runs a dehumidifier at his own cost "most days" as per the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He already runs a dehumidifier at his own cost "most days" as per the OP.

My fault for not reading properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

PMBC wrote: »
    Its sad reading this particularly the idea that keeping curtains closed is stopping air circulating! If you covered the window opening internally with a sheet of plastic/waterproof membrane such as Visqueen, the air would still circulate. Its very difficult make something air-tight or even draughtproof.
    Old houses generally didn't have mould because a) they were draughty so there were frequent air changes and b) lots, if not all including bedrooms, rooms had fireplaces which meant chimneys/flues ventilating the rooms. It seems to me that your problem is lack of ventilation including mechanical in bathrooms and other rooms and poor heating combined with inadequate insulation. The higher the air temperature, provided by a good efficient central heating system, the more water as vapour that the air can hold and vice versa. Generally windows, certainly single glazed windows, are locations for condensation with often mould growth in the corners of reveals. Because the surface temperature of the window internally is only a little higher than the outside air temperature the air temperature in contact with the window drops and that lower temp air canhold less water as vapour thanit did - hence condensation. Cold, poorly and uninsulated walls will show the same effect. Bathrooms are places where lots of water vapour is produced hence the need for fans and ditto over the cooker where saucepans of water with veg etc. are boiled. The longer term problem of mould growth and condensation is health issues such as colds, coughs and respiratory issues.
    Sorry for the long windedness but if he wont improve you will have no comfort there. I once used visit a house in north side of Dublina dn it was colder inside than outside so know what you are going through.
    ^^^^^^^^This
    Your landlord has some targetted works to do to address the problem and if he/she is not interested in doing it then leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For the love of mike...leave...that's a Health hazard ....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

I wouldn't be running the dehumidifier during the day with windows open, I would put it on at night when windows are shut up and heating is on

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I wouldn't be running the dehumidifier during the day with windows open, I would put it on at night when windows are shut up and heating is on
    True, with windows open you're essentially trying to dehumidify Ireland, which is going to be one hell of a challenge!

I live in a 200 year old stone cottage in a damp field in a damp corner of a damp country, no cavity walls, no damp proof course, poor insulation, no central heating - just a large multifuel stove. We experience a lot of the same problems as the OP. The difference is we aren't renting and knew what we were letting ourselves in for. There is NO way you should be experiencing these issues in a modern house.

A dehumidifier costs a lot to run. I've been watching our leccy meter since buying ours and I reckon it will cost at least 60 euros a month to run for 5-6 hours a day. For us, running it 6 months a year represents value for money. The place feels and smells healthier and it prevents mildew growth over furniture and clothing. The quantity of water it takes out of the air, sucks out of the walls and out of the damp chimney breast is incredible. The bathroom now feels dry and the bedrooms don't smell like one of the dogs has widdled in the corner. For the OP however this 60 euros a month could be spent on renting a better place. I too would be looking to leave, I'm afraid the owner is burying his head in the sand.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

shaunr68 wrote: »
    ....mildew growth over furniture and clothing... and the bedrooms don't smell like one of the dogs has widdled in the corner....

I have never seen that in anywhere I have lived in Ireland ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

beauf wrote:
    I have never seen that in anywhere I have lived in Ireland ever.

Lucky duck

Advertisement