Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be a shepard, not a sheep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Mon 11/02: 5.m rec @ 8.02. Some easy miles to kick the week off

Tues 12/02: Had planned to head up to the club for the Tues session but some delays with Irish rail put a halt to that. Headed out solo so did a 3m warmup, a 20 min tempo run and couple of cool down miles. 8.1m total

Wed 13/02: 9.1m route down the canal to work at approx. 8min pace.

Thurs 14/02: 8.1m total. 3*1mile reps (with 800m rec) at the club which were planned for 5.50 pace. The clubmate I was running with paced the first at 5.48. I took the second rep at a poor 5.42 and she took the last at a slightly fast 5.40. All slightly faster than planned but an enjoyable session nonetheless.

Sat 15/02: 13.9m total. Kid's footie season in back in flow and not sure when I'll get to give parkrun a go again so decided to give it a bash and try beat the parkrun pb of 19.21. 4m w/u at 8.11 and down to the start. Shot out of the blocks a bit fast early on but reeled it back to 6 min pace. The section up the drag in hartstown park always seems to be into a stiff enough breeze and this morning was no exception. Always seems to take an age to get up that part of the course. Finished in second place with a new parkrun best of 18.43.
    Finished the morning off with 6.8m @ 8.03.

Sun 16/02: 7.2m @ 7.45. Went up the blanchardstown road past ITB and was surprised how 'easy' it felt up the hill. Took a right at the top and then another to head down past the NAC. Soon as I took the second right the headwind was seriously strong. No wonder up the hill had felt so easy with that at my back. Anyway, good finish to the week.

WTD: 51.9m
    MTD: 102.6m
    YTD : 300.3m

Mon 18/02: 5.5m easy @ 8.07 around the local roads.

Tues 19/02: 9.1m. Had an evening with the wife planned to see Motown the musical so ran the canal route into work. After a few easy miles I ran 4 miles at planned HMP and a couple easy to finish.

Wed 20/02: 8m @ 7.55. Local loop for some easy miles

Thurs 21/02: Headed up the club. Session was 3*800 off400s, 4*400 off200s, 4*200s off 200. Decided what group to run with and off we went.
    For the 800s, the group would ease away from me slightly put come back to me by the end as I was managing to hold my own pace. 3 reps in 2.47,2.46,2.48. The 400s went in a pretty similar pattern though was probably taking a bit more effort from me to stay with the group. 1.19,1.21,1.21,1.20. The 200s were a big struggle as I've never been pacy during all my football days and I got left in rear - 33s, 36s, 33s, 37s. Tiring badly at the end. Good session though and 8.8m total for the evening.

Fri 22/02: 9.1m @7.55 into work down the canal.

Sat 23/02: 3.2m @ 8.18. Hadn't planned on doing anything today but had some free time in the afternoon so decided to do a couple of very easy mile with Sundays long run in mind.

Sun 24/02: Plenty of sport on sun afternoon so headed down the Phoenix park about 8am to get the run down. Plan was 11easy, 5@HMP and couple for a warm down. Easy miles were fine, including some on the grass at the polo grounds. Stopped for a some water and half a mars bar at the car and started the faster section. First mile was 6.32 and felt ok. Next mile felt like the same effort and pace but when I checked the watch about half way through I was doing 6.50 and struggled to lift the pace. Decided to change the plan to 6.30/6.50/6.30/6.50/6.30. Pretty much hit those give or take a couple of seconds. Bit disappointing not holding the 6.30s but hoping it was down to a bit of tiredness. Couple of easy miles at the end to finish on 18m for the day. The redmen added to the slight disappointment no t beating Utd but top of the lge is top of the lge (for now at least)

WTD: 61.7m
    MTD: 164.3m
    YTD : 362m

Tues 26/02: 8.3m. Down to the club for 3*1miles with full 5min active recovery. Clocked the 3 miles at 5.36,5.35 and 5.34.

Wed 27/02: 9m @ 7.40. Ran the route into work down the canal. was a beautiful morning out.

Thurs 28/02: Club session was 3*800 off400s, 4*400 off200s, 4*200s off 100. For the 800s, reps in 2.49,2.49,2.47. The 400s all went at 1.22, which considering I was running solo and trying to even pace I was pretty happy with. The 200s were again a bit of a struggle - 35s, 34s, 38s, 39s. Tiring badly at the end. Good session agin though and 9.1 total for the evening.

Total mileage for Feb: 190.7m

Sat 02/03: 5.4m. Met up early with some of the Dunboyne crew to do some hill work. 4 laps (with recovery between) of a little looping route some of the others had done before. Very enjoyable. will definitely be doing similar going forward on a regular basis. We just missed the bad rain that came in later in the morning and afternoon.

Sun 03/03: Out early again for some miles with a couple of other local lads. We were definitely going much fast than planned, tried to reel ourselves back in but inevitably the pace picked up again. At least we got home before the shocking weather kicked in. 13.4m @ 7.38

WTD: 45.2m
    MTD: 18.8m
    YTD : 407.2m

Knees were very sore Sunday and Monday for some reason. Had planned on doing one session up the club on tues but made the decision Monday to do very little midweek and try still give full whack for Sundays race.

Tues 05/03: 6m @8.03. Just a local loop with some easy miles. similar pattern all week prior to Sunday

Wed 06/03: 5m @ 7.53. Lunchtime run dow towards Clontarf

Thurs 07/03: Up early for some pre work miles with the a good 2-3 days rest before racing.

Sat 09/03: 3.2m @7.53. While the young lad was warming up for his footie, took the opportuinity for a couple of miles leg loosener before kick off.

Sun 10/03: RACE DAY: Wife dropped myself and the bro'n'law down (and heading off to her sisters in Navan for a nice brekkie). Very windy and chilly when we got to the clubhouse in Bohermeen. Met up with lots of the Dunboyne lads and plenty from here both before and after the race - . Skyblue, Browneyes, Niamh, Dub13, scotindublin. Out for a bit of a warm up and the heavens opened with sleet/hail and pretty strong wind. Couldn;t make up the mind on what to wear but decided to stick with the club singlet and nothing else. On the way down to the start the sky cleared and we were good to go.
    Having chatted with some lads over the last week or two decided to target 1.24 as there was a few planning on running that so I thought I'd try with the group.
    Miles 1-7 : was running with my brother n law and one of the lads from the club. We were doing approx 1.23 pace but felt ok. The stretch on the N51 was very breezy here but there was a group of maybe 8-10 tucked in trying to get some cover so probably helped shield some of the wind.
    Miles 8-13.1 : Passed the clubhouse with the two lads, seen my sister with the nieces and nephews, threw her my gloves, noticed the wife hadn;t made it back and on we went. The two lads I was with here kicked on immediately when they got to what would be the finish next time round. I stupidly stupidly tried to stick with them. Clocked mile 8 at 6.13 and almost immediately knew (or at least convinced myself ) the damage had been done. The two lads went on and left me in their trail. Coming up on the pass over the motorway, I passed my wife and daughter parked at the side of the road shouting encouragement from the windows. Gave me a little (temporoary) boost. Mile 9 was 6.20 but started dropping then, 6.27 mile 10. Back on the N51, isolated on my own and pace slowing with effort increasing massively. Stretch of road felt twice as long as the first lap. 6.44 for mile 11. I should have still had enough for 1.24 but mentally I threw the towel in I think. Once of the main road I;d tell myself 'another 100metres or another 30seconds, and we kick on again'. But the mind and body were not working in tandum. Miles 12 and 13 were 6.33 and 6.34. Barely mustered a slight increase in pace for the .1. Crossed the line in 1.24.05 chip time and think I shouted an expletive!!! Apologies if there were any kids around. was very disappointed and pretty annoyed to be honest. Not so much with the few seconds but with how I ran the race and how I folded a bit when the going got tough. Raheny all over again and will probably leave me mentally scared (for want of a better phrase) for a while. I should be happy with it as its a near 5min pb from Rathoath 6 months ago but I'm not!!! (yes I;m a miserable moany auld ***)

Not sure of the plans now. Dunboyne 10k in a few weeks and then I;m thinking of doing Glendalough lap of the gap at the end of May. I'll see later in the week. Hopefully Cheltenham helps cheer me up!!!!!

WTD: 33.8m
    MTD: 52.6m
    YTD : 441m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I found each of the loops a little deceptive and the slight change in the route for the second loop threw me a little. I get your disappointment alright but what a great time you finished in.
    Have to say well done, sorry! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done Daz. You're making huge leaps and there will have to be a few lessons along the way. Delighted to see you going properly aggressive with targets and using missing your target or making a tactical slip as a motivation going forward. Not to worry, there will be many better days ahead for you. You've not been training long with the club and improvements have been massive. Keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with how you ran it, i think everyone here can identify with that from some race or other :(, i believe the trick is to learn from it. Despite that you pulled off a brilliant result, what an improvement in just 6 months! It's going to be such an exciting year for you on the running front no doubt about it, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Another well done from me as well:D this will stand to you use it going forward and let it help you on the next race. fantastic improvement though when the disappointment fades be very proud of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Class run Daz all the same in not ideal conditions. Plenty more to come this year; it is going to make interesting viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Serious running Daz. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Amazing running yesterday D in rough conditions, you are killing your training and I'm dying to see what you do this year

Mon 11/03: 6.1m easy @8.16. Few recovery miles after Sundays race

Tues 12/03: 10m @8.12. Nice and easy again. still recovering from Sun.

Thurs 14/03: 8m total, including 30mins @6.50ish.

Fri 15/03: 7.1m @8.01. Few pre-gold cup miles before another day on the beer!!!

Sun 17/03: Couldn;t bring myself to get up on the Sat so headed out Sunday morning for a planned 18m. Down toward the phoenix park and bumped into scotindublin and one of the lads from work who were there with some Donore lads. Ran a few miles with them which the distance up nicely. 18.5m total @7.49. tired enough toward the end but not too bad.

WTD: 49.7m
    MTD: 102.3m
    YTD : 490.7m

Have signed up for the Glendalough 'lap of the gap' at the end of May so something to aim for over the next 10 weeks or so.

Mon 18/03: 5.3m @8.03.

Tues 19/03: 7.4m. Had no transport to get down the club so went out solo for a few miles and to do some 800 reps. Set the watch up wrong so instead of 400m rec's, it was 4mins rec. Decided to just roll with it as wasn;t arsed stopping to change it. did the 4 reps at 2.54,2.59,2.53 and 2.56.

Weds 20/03: 9.1m @7.55 down the canal into work. Plenty of reports floating around the media about a new scary rat/rodent thing invading ashtown at the canal but no excitement / sightings for me!!!

Thurs 21/03: 8.8m total down at the club including a 35min tempo run. GPS seems to act up on the track but going by number of laps, I estimate the 35mins was roughly 5.7m @ about 6.10

Fri 22/03: 9.1m @7.50. Down the canal to work again. Still no rodents!

Sat 23/03: Initial plan for the weekend was 20m Sunday morning. But between being possibly needed for a spot on the club relay team (wasn;t needed in the end) and being talked into pints for the Ireland game, I decided the long run would be Sat afternoon. Went off to the sons football match first and between the ref being late and the terrible traffic in Lucan coming home, it was 2.15 getting home with a pub meet arranged for 4.50pm. So a sausage sandwich down the gob (only thing to hand) and out the door by 2.25. Down to the park, down the sbends back up the kyber and then home. 15.2m @ 7.47. would liked to have spent a but more time doing some hill work but the time gods conspired against me all day. Glendalough looks a beast so will have to do alot of stuff on hills and put in some tough work. May have bitten off more than I can chew!!

WTD: 54.9m
    MTD: 157.2m
    YTD : 545.6m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

You sound almost disappointed you did not see the giant rat :D keep a camera handy just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Sheep1978 wrote: »

Weds 20/03: 9.1m @7.55 down the canal into work. Plenty of reports floating around the media about a new scary rat/rodent thing invading ashtown at the canal but no excitement / sightings for me!!!

I actually saw one of these things a few months ago along the quays just down by Guinness's. It was massive, nobody knew what the hell it was!

coogy wrote: »
    I actually saw one of these things a few months ago along the quays just down by Guinness's. It was massive, nobody knew what the hell it was!

Poor Irish otters being mistaken for Brazilian capybara! I remember seeing the rat/ rodent on TV coverage of the golf at the Rio Olympics...

Haha wouldn;t mind a look just to see for myself!

Good luck tomorrow Daz

Mon 25/03: 5.9m easy @ 8.13 around the local roads including some reps back and forther over the porterstown bridge.

Tues 26/03: 8.1m. Up to the club for a 30 min tempo. Did it at approx 7.10 per mile with a couple miles w/u and c/d

Wed 27/03: 7.22m @ 7.48. Local loop for some easy miles

Fri 29/03: 9.5m @ 7.51. Slightly adjust route into work as had to drop something off with someone. Last few mile were on footpaths with alot of pedestrians etc. I'll defo stick to the canal!!

Sat 30/03: Had planed just 2-3 miles ahead of Sundays race but volunteering duties at parkrun, followed by kids footie, followed by helping shift some barriers up around dunboyne village put an end to that.

Sun 31/03: Dunboyne 10k. Was unsure of what target to go for as only ever did one other 10k about 2 years ago. Held 40 min 10k pace for the Trim 10 miles so decided I'd go for sub 39 mins. After a short enough warm up with a few strides, lined up near the top and we were off. Went off too fast, as per normal and first two miles came in at 5.51 and 5.54. Knew I'd some pain coming but picked a couple of other Dunboyne runners to try hang on to. Next two miles 5.57 and 6.11. Starting to feel the pain but just had a target of reaching dunboyne clubhouse and hopefully get home down the slight decline into the village. Last two full miles were 6.10 and 6.08 with the last .2 at 5.58 pace. Chip time 37.25. Delighted with that and well ahead of the 39 target.
    I'd never down the Dunboyne 4mile so can;t comment on that but I thought the course was very good and fair. Small drag early on and small decline late on but pretty flat overall. Maybe biased as a club member but felt it was a greatly organised race and well run.

WTD: 38.7m
    MTD: 195.9m
    YTD : 584.3m

Mon 01/04: 6.3m easy @ 8.00 around the local roads including some reps back and forth over the porterstown bridge. Trying to include some sort of hills in any route I do

Wed 03/04: 9.1m @ 7.24. Back to the usual route straight down the canal. Legs felt good after a days rest so decided to up the pace a little more than I usually do into work

Thurs 04/04: Got soaked on the way home from the train station so decided I was staying indoors for the night on what was a miserable evening. Once home and dried off I talked mysefl out of being a wuss and headed up to the club. rain had eased considerably by the time I got there and after a couple of miles warm up, session was 5*1km with 400m active recoveries. 3 of us planned a 3.45 per km pace. Timings per the watch were 3.34, 3.48, 3.39, 3.45 and 3.32. 1 out of 5 is ok I guess!!!! 8.8m total

Fri 05/04: 5.3m @ 7.52. Nice early pre work run done to leave Friday night free for football on the tv!!

Sat 06/04: 21m @ 8.13. Had planned 18miles and headed out early with 2 girls doing their last long run before London. Pace was good and felt fine coming up to 15/16 miles so decided I'd stay out. Didn;t take any water or gels etc on board and though the last mile or two was a little tiring with my calf starting to niggle, the run felt great to have done.

Sun 07/04: Forgot to charge the watch in work before I left friday so it went dead sat afternoon. Legs were a little tired from Saturday mornings long run and the head was sore from saturday nights beers so today was short, slow and sweet. Aprrox 3 miles @8.20 I reckon.

WTD: 53.4m
    MTD: 53.4m
    YTD : 637.7m

• Advertisement

Tue 09/04: 8.7m. Club session which was 1*1km and 8*300m all off 400m active rec. Sounded handy (I thought) with 400 rec's for a 300 sprint. Was wrong!! tough but enjoyable session.

Wed 10/04: 9.1m @ 7.43. Usual route straight down the canal.

Thurs 11/04: 13.4m total. Left work and jogged up to the park for some hill work. Did 2 set of 2*200m sprints up the khyber and 2*approx 75m sprints up the grass towards the old military base. Approx 400m rec's between rep's with maybe 800m between both sets. Again tough but need to get some hill work into the legs with Glendalough on the horizon.

Fri 12/04: 4.6m @ 8.00. Some easy lunch time miles

Sat 13/04: 20.2m total. Plan was 4*3m sets at approx 6.50 pace with .5mile rec between. 4 sets came in at 20.27,20.24, 20.51 and 19.58. 3rd set was toughest and the last set was done during parkrun so pace picked up a little with other runners around. Some easy mile before and after brought the total to just over 20.

Sun 14/04: 5.9m @ 8.01. Some easy rec miles after Saturdays long run/session.

WTD: 61.9m
    MTD: 115.3m
    YTD : 699.6m

Tue 16/04: 8.9m. Club session which was 1*1km and 8*300m all off 400m active rec. Same as last weeks Tues session

Wed 17/04: 12m @ 8.05. Home from work with small bit of hill work on some of the trails beside the khyber.

Thurs 18/04: 5.1m @ 7.50. Lunch time miles in the sun

Fri 19/04: 19m. Off out early before it got too warm. did 8 miles easy, 5m at planned 6.50 pace and 6m easy. The last of the fast miles was up the khyber. Legs and back felt shot after it so had to stop for a minute or two to stretch and have a bit of an energy bar. First time I think i've stopped on a run in a couple of years.

Sat 20/04: 10m @ 8.01. Few us met up down the phoenix park for some early miles.

Had planned some easy threadmill miles, or some S&C work, in a hotel gym Sunday morning as was away for easter. Saturdays pints put an end to that (and same Monday morning).

WTD: 55m
    MTD: 170.3m
    YTD : 754.6m

Bad start to the week following the weekends alcohol consumption and Sun, Mon and Tues night was woke a number of times during the night with calf cramps. Not nice!!

Tue 23/04: 8.3m @ 7.51. Decided to skip the club session which would have consisted of faster stuff and just concentrated on getting the legs going again after the weekend.

Wed 24/04: 11.8m @ 7.51. Home from work again with small bit of hill work on some of the trails beside the khyber. Weather was pretty miserable for the first few miles but the rain eased off then and it was a grand evening.

Thurs 25/04: 6.1m @ 8.05. Calfs a bit sore after the Wednesday run so skipped the club again and just did some nice easy solo miles

Fri 26/04: 9.5m @ 7.43. Out Friday morning for some miles before a planned trip to Liverpool Friday night (didn;t go ahead due to flights delays etc).

Sat 27/04: 22.2m @ 7.43. Original plan for the week was for the longer run to be Sunday (as was only due home from Liverpool Sat morning). Changed my mind several times during the day whther to wait till Sunday morning or go out. Decided to head out and left about 5.30pm. This was was going to include an attempt at 3*4miles faster pace but due to the calf issue earlier in the week and the very strong winds out, I decided to swap this weeks with next week and do a steady 22m. Tried to keep effort levels the same regardless of the wind and pace was pretty even throughout. Took 2 Maurten gels (not bad) for the first time and a few jellies. Bit tired toward the end but suppose I should expect to be after 20+

Sun 28/04: 4.6m @ 7.51. Some rec miles Sunday morning and left the house to run by feel. Look at the watch as little as possible so was surprised to see the pace wasn;t slower than it turned out. Felt slower.

Happy with that week considering the start to it and I think its my highest ever weekly mileage.

WTD: 62.5m
    MTD: 232.8m
    YTD : 817.1m

You'll be starting your taper soon D? Lap of the Gap is still in the plan I presume?

Yep still the plan (dreading it to be honest). another 1-1.5 weeks and then taper.

A sheep should be used to a few gentle hills. Have you not been roped into the Wicklow Way relay?

A sheep should be used to a few gentle hills. Have you not been roped into the Wicklow Way relay?

'gentle' I can handle!!! No didn;t get roped into anything else

Must just be the other 2 clowns you work with!
    'gentle' I can handle!!! No didn;t get roped into anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Yep still the plan (dreading it to be honest). another 1-1.5 weeks and then taper.

What's the plan for Lap of the Gap D? Do you have a time in mind or is it just survive the first half and see what happens?

• Advertisement

What's the plan for Lap of the Gap D? Do you have a time in mind or is it just survive the first half and see what happens?

No don;t have any time in mind. I'm pretty unprepared for the hills if I;m being honest so definately a case of getting to half way and re-assessing. you doing it yourself.?

Advertisement