Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be a shepard, not a sheep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Would it be better to increase the length of some runs rather than add in a double? P&D indicate that doubles aren't recommended until your weekly mileage breaks 75. Better to retain the longer recovery time between single runs.

Of course, I have no experience here, just taking it from the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Cheers A. I've not read the book, but the P&D plan I have actually has a number of splits (6easy am and then 4 easy pm), but not for this particular week. I presume a single longer run would be more beneficial but time contraints sometimes limit the chances

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Ah right, you're doing the 55-70 plan?
    "In these schedules, doubles are called for only on the occasional recovery day, with a total of 10 miles (16 km) for the day. On these days, your recovery will be enhanced by doing a 6-miler (10 km) and a 4-miler (6 km) rather than putting in one 10-mile (16 km) run."

If it was me I would stick to the plan rather than risk anything. Seems to be working well for you now.

Cheers A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'd usually try and double once or twice a week during a marathon block as I'd be trying to hit 130/140k, but they'd nearly all be easy miles. You'd be doing decent mileage so a double here or there wouldn't do you any harm. Starting off with a double on a session day, I wouldn't think that's the way to do it, but I could be very wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Yeh, I wouldn't be mad about a second run after a session. Getting rid of that rest day would usually be done before doubling, and then they would be added in on an easy day.

Cheers lads

Mon 09/09: 7.1m easy with some of the crew from the TT racers group

Tues 10/09: 9,1m @7.47. The usual canal route into work

Wed 11/09: Another double day as per the plan with all easy miles. 6m @7.45 in the am and 4.4 @7.58 in the pm

Thurs 12/09: Rest day

Fri 13/09: 5.3m @ 7.58. lots going on at home this week so wasnt sure if id manage to get out. found an hour slot and managed to get a little shake out pre Sat's race

Sat 14/09: RACE DAY. Got down to Rathoath in plenty of time, collected a tshirt and used the toilet facilities. Bumper into Wubble and a couple of other lads I knew but starting a solo warm up. Just did a lap of the race course and made my way to the start via the car to dump a top I had on. Met all the usual Dunboyne and Blanch crew at the start and all seemed in good spirits.
    This was my first 'race' since some 10k's in June which didnt go to plan so I wanted a good outcome.I had pb'd in Bohermeen earlier in the year with 1.24.05 so plan was to pb again and hopefully get 1.23.xx. Roughly 6.24 pace needed. We set off and as usual the early pace was on the fast side. With the usual surge and a slight downhill first mile, the watch beeped at 6.08. Next mile was still net down hill and came in at 6.13. My brother n law was about 10 yards in front of me and I was fighting with myself whether to drop off or stay with him. I had paid the price in Dunshaughlin a few months ago for trying to go with him but my stubborness was again preventing me from easing off. Decided to just roll with it and stop the internal debates. 6.17, 6.19, 6.13 for miles 3 to 5. Took the first of my maurten gels about here and was taking on a little water at each of the stations, the second of which was at sweeneys pub.
    There had been a group of about half a dozen for most of these miles but it was starting to dwindle. I was trying to keep the pace and effort consistent without looking at the watch too much. Miles 6 to 10 were pretty uneventful with the exception of a section of the course covered in gravel which I found horrible to run on. By the time I reached the 10 mile marker, all of the others in thr group that was there had dropped off. Not sure where I lost the bro n law but he said he had an off day after pounding training before during and after the half iron man a couple of weeks ago. paces for the 5 miles 6.21, 6.11, 6.14, 6.15, 6.14.
    Only a parkrun distance left. Last year I had pushed on in this mile up the main road but decided to hold it steady until I got to the racecourse. Not sure I needed it but took a second gel as I turned onto the main road. One of the other Dunboyne runners I know was in viewing distance, about 30-40 secs ahead so I knew I was well ahead of schedule. Got up the mile of the main road in 6.18 and altough the body was tired I knew I still had a little left in the tank. Quick mouthful of water as we turned into the race course and I kicked up a gear. Mile 12 was slight downhill but was negated by a bit of a headwind, the only breeze I recall feeling all day and mile 13 was flat. splits came in a 6.00 and 6.03. Delighted to be able to up it slightly after an already faster than planned 11 miles. Had closed the gap on my clubmate but never actually got to himas he kicked on over the last mile also. Did the u-turn for the last finishing bit (if you were touch and go for a certain time or pb, this would be horrible as the sand underfoot and having to pretty much do a 180 wasnt great. I wonder if the start / finish could be slightly tweeked so the finish line is just at the end of the racecourse loop) and I was home. Chip time 1.21.42 for a 2min 23sec pb and over 7 mins off the same race last year. Delighted and shocked!!! Particularly happy with the relatively even splits for miles 1-11 and still being able to kick for the last two miles. I had faded from mile 9/10 in Bohermeen so happy with no repeat here.
    A pb, a Liverpool win, City loss, Dubs 5 in a row and a few pints with a chinese. I've had worse Saturdays!!!

Sun 15/09: 6.6m @ 8.22. Just a few easy recovery miles. Hamstrings and legs overall were pretty tight so just went by effort / feel.

WTD: 56m
    MTD: 133.4m
    YTD : 1675.2m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Cracking effort on Saturday Daz; you are in great shape heading into the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Brilliant Daz, keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Savage time, well ran!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Brilliant run D, great finish too! Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Brilliant time! Well done on the PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I may have missed it in another post above, but have you set a target for DCM yet.?
    (copied and pasted from your comment on my log :) )

healy1835 wrote: »
    I may have missed it in another post above, but have you set a target for DCM yet.?
    (copied and pasted from your comment on my log :) )

:D sub 3 is the target I guess. wanted to wait till this race to see how the land lay but I guess I'll have to nail my colours to the mast now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Thats some smashing running Daz, congratulations.

Keep injury free and a good taper and I think youll be flying for DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Top class running that, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic stuff Daz, an absolute perfectly ran race. Some boost for the confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

That’s a seriously impressive performance, well done. Your training was pointing that way.

Mon 16/09: 7m @ 7.59 - some easy local miles still recovering after Sat's race

Tues 17/09: Went over to the TT session which was to be 1mile/400/800/1200/1m/1200/800/400 with 30secs rec per 400m run. Legs were still tired after the race at the weekend so ended up cutting the middle mile down to 1200 as was really feeling the pace. Spilts for the other reps came in at:
    1mile - 5.54
    400 - 1.30
    800 - 2.56
    1200 - 4.33
    1200 - 4.39
    1200 - 4.31
    800 - 2.59
    400 - 1.24

7.8 miles total for the session

Wed 18/09: 11.3m @ 8.13. Was off work so took a different route down the canal and into Catherines Park and home. Nice day for it and was pretty warm. Should probably habve been a couple of miles longer per the plan but watching the body and effort levels after the weekend

Thurs 19/09: 6m @ 7.50. Got out in the a.m. for the first part of what should have been a double day. Something came up in the evening giving me a reason (excuse) to skip the few easy miles due for the p.m.

Fri 20/09: Rest day

Sat 21/09: Dublin Half Marathon. MEt up with a few of the dunboyne /blanch crew for some pre race miles. Got to the Hole in the wall for about 8.30 and place was already packed and runners everywhere. Anyway did about 5-5.5 miles before hand. Plan for the race was to run at 6.50's. Set off and was right in between the pacers. Decided to run with them and not be constantly looking at the watch which I usually need to do. Pace ended up being on the fast side with all the first few miles coming in 6.40 or slightly under. After about 5 miles I decided I'd keep this pace for the race and see it out. Did find it hard work at times with the drags in particular and it was reasonably warm. Came in at 1.27.27. Pretty much kept running straight after the finish line as had to get back for the sons match. 20 miles for the day.

Sun 22/09: 8 @ 8.27. Some nice easy recovery miles in the hazy rain after Saturdays half. Missed the downpurs either side of when I was out so lucky enough

WTD: 60.1m
    MTD: 193.1m
    YTD : 1735.3m

• Advertisement

Mon 23/09: 9.1m @ 8.01 - back to the usual canal route into work

Tues 24/09: Ran up to the club early as a warm up and plan was 5*1mile. Got there and a couple of clubmates had just arrived. Decided to join them for more warm up miles before doing a 3*2mile session instead. Did 5 of the 6 miles at almost exactly 6min pace with tiredness kicking in for the last and coming in at 6.15. Then had a 3.5mile jog home to bring the daily total to 16.5m. Definately overdid it and should have stuck to the plan. Was shattered on the jog home and had no water / fuel with me for the session and not sure I had fuelled right for the session. Very annoyed with mysefl that evening.!!!!

Wed 25/09: 5.8m @ 8.10. Tried to just get some very easy local miles in after Tues exertions

Thurs 26/09: Had again planned some easy miles but between the fatigue I was still feeling, and get soaked on the way home from work, I decided to take a day off and put the feet up.

Fri 27/09: 12.8m. Took the porterstown / Phoenix park route into work and threw in two sets of 3miles at MP with 1 mile recovery between. MP stuff was between 6.41 and 6.51 with the slight downhill heading towards the city centre helping

Sat 28/09: 18m @ 7.48.Met up with a few Dunboyne clubmates for a route around the back roads of Dunboyne. Pace was fine though I was slightly tiring towards the end after what felt like a tough week (or accumalation of a few weeks). Rest of the week were carrying on to do 22m but I stuck with the plan and pulled the plug at 18.

Sun 29/09: 5.8 @ 8.02. Some nice easy recovery miles before making, and getting stuck into, a massive fry for the family. Great recovery food!!!!!

WTD: 68m
    MTD: 261.1m
    YTD : 1803.3m

One more tough week to go!!!!!

Mon 30/09: 7.5m@ 7.51 - few local easy miles. 269 miles for Sept

Tues 01/10: Up to the club early with a few others. For some easy miles along with 2 sets of 3mile at approx 6.30-6.40 pace. Pace felt comfortable. 11.8miles total

Wed 02/10: 12.7m@ 8.10. Took the long route home through the phoenix park. Felt pretty tired towards the end which I was surpirsed at given the easy pace.

Thurs 03/10: 5.5m @ 8.32. Plan was for about 8miles. See of down toward clontarf and within a mile felt absolutely horrible. Energy sapped and felt as if I'd not eaten for 2 days. Should have pulled the plug immediately but stupidly carried on up the coast for a bit past the baths. Wind was pretty bad going up. Eventually cut it short and thankfully made it back to the office along with some help from the wind. Wasnt sure at different points Id make it.

Fri 04/10: 8m. Thursdays disaster had left me very angry so having initially decided I was taking Friday off, I got up early and went out before work. After a mile w/u I did the next 6 at approx MP (first one slightly slower as directly into a dtrong headwind). Not sure if it was the right thing to do but glad to get back out.

Sat 05/10: Day off and a trip to Liverpool

Sun 06/10: 23m@ 7.55. MEt up with 3 others at the popes cross. went out the chapelizod gate and took in the rest of the DCM course back to the start, and then the first 4 miles back to the cars. Felt ok for most of it but got a bit tired for the last 5 or so. Still lifter the pace slightly for the last couple.

WTD: 68.5m
    MTD: 61m
    YTD : 1871.8m

Mon 07/10: 6.5m@ 8.01 - Just some local miles nice and easy

Tues 08/10: Plan initially was for 2*3m @ MP. Left work and 3m warm up getting to the phoenix park. Started what should have been the first rep and immediately effort levels felt huge. Was up Chesterfield and there was a good headwind. Decided within a few hundred metres I was changing the session. Went with 5*1m at MP with reducing recoveries (.5m/.4/.3/.2). Still felt tough but at least menatally I knew it was only 1 mile. 10.5miles total for the day

Wed 09/10: Rest day

Thurs 10/10: 5.5m @ 7.45. Out at lunch for some miles up toward clontarf. Strong enough breeze helping / hindering

Fri 11/10: 7m @7.39. Ended up with 2 of the miles much faster than planned as mother nature called and had to make a beeline for home!!! (I made it)

Sat 12/10: Out early and down toward the phoenix park. Beautiful morning for it with very little breeze. Did 10miles relatively easy before getting in some planned MP miles. First 3 went fins at about 6.45 pace. 2nd 3miles were due to be in parkrun. Noticed alot of the regular speedsters were missing and after the start I was in about 8th and though to myself the lad weren;t going super fast. Competiveness kicked in and decided to try take the opportuinity for a 'win'. Finished in 19.30. Faster than planned and hopefully doesnt cause an issue over the next 2weeks. Small cool down brought the day to 17.1 miles.

Sun 13/10: 4.5m @ 8.15. Nice easy recovery miles

WTD: 51.1m
    MTD: 112.1m
    YTD : 1922.9m

Mon 14/10: rest

Tues 15/10: 8.9m. Up to the club for 5*1mile with 400m recovery. 5 reps came in at 6.09,6.14,6.13,6.12,6.09

Wed 16/10: 9.1m. Easy miles down the canal into work

Thurs 17/10: 7.8m with 6 at approx MP. First of the MP miles was a bit sharpish at 6.34 with the remainder around 6.44.

Fri 18/10: rest

Sat 19/10: 10m @ 7.49. Down to the phoenix park with one of the lads from the club for last of the medium/long runs. Was going to do 12 but felt a little tired so stopped at 10. No need to push it

Sun 20/10: rest

WTD: 35.8m
    MTD: 147.9m
    YTD : 1958.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

All the best in the race on Sunday Daz. You've made incredible improvement this year, you'll smash it.

Cheers S. Appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you are in superb shape - keep the head early on! those 1st 7m are the killer.

Hope you have the run your training deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Sunday D, your in super nick, fingers crossed it goes to your plan. Run well dude!!

you are in superb shape - keep the head early on! those 1st 7m are the killer.

Hope you have the run your training deserves.

cheers AK. Always the plan for Dublin but sometimes easier said than done:o

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday D, your in super nick, fingers crossed it goes to your plan. Run well dude!!

Cheers, thanks for the message

Advertisement