Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be a shepard, not a sheep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Looking forward to seeing your time on Sunday D. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Looking forward to seeing your time on Sunday D. Best of luck.

You too a, might see you out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck tomorrow D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Best o' luck tomorrow D!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Run well tomorrow Daz serious block of training done.

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    You too a, might see you out there!!

Not unless you loop round for a 2nd lap!

Mon 21/10: 5.7m @ 10.02. Very easy run with some friends all doing DCM with a range of different targets. Nice relaxed and a good chat

Tues 22/10: 6.3m with the middle 2 at rough MP. 2 miles ended up a little fast (6.32,6.34) maybe a sign of things for later in the week

Wed 23/10: rest

Thurs 24/10: 5.5m @ 8.00. Some lunchtime miles with a few sets of 200m strides.

Fri 25/10: 4.5m @ 8.30. After getting the expo at lunch (in and out) this was the last training run for this marathon block. Nice and easy.

Sat 26/10: rest

Sun 27/10: DCM RACE DAY: Sat night prep hadnt gone too well as the daughter took a knock to the head and my wife and mother n law had to bring her to hospital. Whether Id have slept well anyway is another thing but I could get off until they got home in the early hours. Anyway, up early for brekkie, met a few friends for a lift into town. Didn;t get in too early which was great. Asked my brother n law what his plans were and he said he was going out just ahead of the 3hr pacers at a pace in the low 6.40s. I decided there and then to go with him and see how it fared out rather than running solo (really didn;t want to be in the pace group).

Miles 1-7. We set off and, as we were ahead of the 3hr pack, I didn;t feel quite as busy and closed in as previous years. Pace was pretty frantic and we were regularly reminding each other to slow it down a bit. Up Manor St. and we tried ease it a bit (which we did for all the hills all day). Going up Chesterfield and I remember commenting that I still didn;t feel in any sort of rhythm. We were still having pace issues and trying to pull ourselves back. Don;t know if it was that we were running together or if it was the unbelievable support. Might be thats its freshest in the mind, but I felt this year the support was even better than the previous two I'd done. Got to Myos at miles 7ish and my wife and kids waiting there with a banana and gel. Literally a 2 second stop and gone again. Paces for 1-7 (all fast for what should have been our slowest section in theory) were 6.32, 6.25, 6.46, 6.35, 6.38, 6.37, 6.42.

Miles 8-13. Down Tower road and into the park. Still getting lots and lots of shoutouts from friends and people just shouting for Dunboyne. Really was brilliant. Across the Liffey and up Laurences road. Again eased off the pace on Laurences hill. Somone on here last week saying that easing up Laurences by a minute slower than race pace, only costs you about 6 sec's was in my mind. Crowds and support were continous all the way up to the Crumlin road. Along with the perfect weather conditions, it was making for a great experience. The pace didn;t let up here. 6.28, 6.31, 6.32, 6.49, 6.36, 6.36. Took my second gel in this section (had brought 5). Up under the halfway marker in 1.26.46. A good 2 min ahead of what i would have liked ideally.

Miles 14-21. After the fast first half, I decided maybe a sub 2.55 was worth a go so would continue on the same for a as long as I could. Up the long stretch of the Crumlin road (the usual headwind) and this was the first time I started to think I was feeling the stress of the pace. Brother in law still apeared to be going strong and we were checking in on each other regularly.Walkinstown roundabout where a friend of ours tossed us a lottle goodie bag each with banana, jellies etc. I didn;t feel up to taking anything like it so tossed it a couple of hundred metres up the road (can;t tell him that). Another gel around 16m and again about 20m. Would be the last of them and didn;t feel I could stomach any more. Effort was increasing rapidly mile on mile and a bit of doubt was kicking in. 6.56, 6.39, 6.33, 6.37, 6.35, 6.33, 6.33, 6.41.

Miles 22-26.3. Right around this point in Clonskeagh, I felt my energy levels fading. The brother in law started to go a few yards ahead and he called for me to keep going. I was fearing an oncoming bonk and didn;t want to drag him with me so I urged him not to wait and to kick on. Took the pace right down up roebuck (probably had no choice in that matter anyway) but never stopped moving. Onto Fosters avenue and tried to lift the pace again with the help of the downhill. Once off that section the pace dropped again. Over toward nutley lane an dI was being passed by quite a few runners. A bit demoralising but I knew it was my own fault. Luckily the expected full bonk wasn;t materialising and I was able to keep a decent, if reduced, pace going. With 2 miles left a check of the watch meant I neded something like two 6.25s to get under 2.55. Knew that wasn't going to happen but also knew that, barring a full onset of cramp or an injury, the sub 3 was all but in the bag. With that 'pressure' off, I was really able to enjoy the closing part of the race with the crowd and trying to urge on some otheres falling by the wayside. Seen lots of people in the crowd over the last few hundred metres, that I might have missed if I'd been closer to a certain time and was keeoping the head down. Lots of waves and fist pumps and although really sore, was in a great place. brother n law came in a minute ahead of me and my wife said she really feared the worst when he came along without me. Last 5 miles+ 6.53, 6.45, 6.58, 7.09, 7.27 and 6.53pace for the last .3. Under the finish in 2.56.19. PB of about 14.5 mins off Glendalough in May and 18.5mins off DCM last year for my first ever Sub 3. Over the moon.

Definately not the best run race but the end result was all that it was about today. Onwards and upwards.

WTD: 48.3m
    MTD: 196.2m
    YTD : 2007m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant D. You are some runner. Did you eat that first banana while running??? I’m amazed at that!!

Savage running D, congratulations on the sub 3. What a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great running Daz.. I can't say I'm surprised or amazed but it still had to be done. Everything was pointing that way all year and you came up with the goods when it mattered. I know it's not as far as you'll get and I can't wait to watch the improvements continue. Proper reward for proper dedication. Kudos!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Brilliant D. You are some runner. Did you eat that first banana while running??? I’m amazed at that!!

haha yeah food on the go!!

As S said in his post above, I wasn't one bit surprised to see you achieve sub-3 but incredible running nonetheless.

Onwards and upwards is right!! Huge congrats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Again, as the lads said above, not one bit surprised but still a huge congratulations on a smashing race.

How do u think the training block went? Would u change anything for next time? You were extremely consistent throughout the year, well deserved time.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Again, as the lads said above, not one bit surprised but still a huge congratulations on a smashing race.

How do u think the training block went? Would u change anything for next time? You were extremely consistent throughout the year, well deserved time.

mmm. I struggle with any fast stuff when I'm on my own so maybe something I need to work on. Entered lots of races this summer to do fast stuff in them but that has a financial impact then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Brilliant running - great to see the hard work pay off for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Excellent run Sheep and what amazing progress you've had! Well done keeping the pace respectable enough towards the finish and sounds like you got to enjoy the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Superb result, congrats!! Some amount of time to take off the distance since May as well.

That's just a brilliant result. I have to say looking at a lot of your easy run paces I thought you were shooting yourself in the foot a little but boy was I wrong. Super stuff.

That's just a brilliant result. I have to say looking at a lot of your easy run paces I thought you were shooting yourself in the foot a little but boy was I wrong. Super stuff.

In terms of being too fast you mean.?

• Advertisement

Sheep1978 wrote:
    In terms of being too fast you mean.?

I just recall a lot of them being sub 8, in or around 7.40 or 7.50. Doesn't matter man. Just shows there's more than one way to do it. Sorry didn't mean to shift the conversation in that direction. This is a time for celebrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great race and report D.
    3:26? to 2:56 is some improvement in the space of two years. I knew that sub 3 was on after your run in the Wicklow mountains. Hope the recovery is going well.

I just recall a lot of them being sub 8, in or around 7.40 or 7.50. Doesn't matter man. Just shows there's more than one way to do it. Sorry didn't mean to shift the conversation in that direction. This is a time for celebrating!

As I said to you before, happy to hear all and any advice / criticism. Prob better to do now while stuff is fresh in the memory

Great race and report D.
    3:26? to 2:56 is some improvement in the space of two years. I knew that sub 3 was on after your run in the Wicklow mountains. Hope the recovery is going well.

Cheers J. 3.28 in 2017. All started under your esteemed mentorship!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Just getting to read your report.

Absolutely savage stuff man. You never stop impressing.

Not an awful lot to update since DCM but might aswell update the log to keep me honest. Spent the first week eating tons of junk food and getting to know my aul mate beer again:

03/11 : 3.3m @ 8.10. Nice and easy trot on a Sunday morning. Full week since DCM so decided I'd best trying something short and sweet

05/11 : 4.6m @ 7.18. Went out for some more short easy stuff. I had a visit to someone in the hospital to make, and Liverpool were on the box, so while not looking at thr watch the pace was pretty fast for what I've had wanted

09/11 : 10m @ 7.43. Nice easy 5 miles with quick feet (his username, not my foot skills) before rocking up to the local PR. Didn;t have a specific plan in mind but wanted to open the legs to see where the land lay. Went out in front with one other lad and we pulled away a liitle from the others. First mile was 6.14. Effort levels relatively high. Second mile 6.08 and I was definately feeling heavy legs. The other lad upped the pace and I just didn;t have the energy / motivation to go with him. He finished quite a bit in front. Mile 3 was 6.25 for a finishing time of 19.28. Mile cooldown to finish the morning off.

10/11 - No running but over to see the reds go 8 clear at the top (just wanted to throw that in there)

WTD: 17.9m
    MTD: 17.9m
    YTD : 2024.9m

No running but over to see the reds go 8 clear at the top

There. That's more like it!! :pac:

12/11 : 7.2m. Up to the club for the winter 2mile league they run. Wasnt sure what I could do over that distance or what mylegs were like for trying some fast stuff. After a few miles easy warm up, I was off. Wasn;t paying too much attention to the watch and felt like I slowed a little as the laps went by but was surprised to see the miles (per the watch at least) both come in at 5.44.

15/11 : 7.3m @ 7.28. Was off to a wedding for the weekend so got out in the morning to get some planned easy miles in. Pace ended up fast then I wanted - must have been eager to get on the beer!!!

18/11 : 5.4m @ 7.47. Again some local miles without really paying too much attention to the watch. Sweat some of the weekends alcohol out

19/11 : 7.3m. Up to the club again for the 2 mile league. First mile was slightly faster than last week at 5.40 but I couldnt hold it and 2nd mile came in at 5.45.

21/11 : 6.7m @ 7.56. Out at lunch for some easy miles in the local park

23/11: 11.5m. Out about 8.30am to get an hour in before knocking up to parkrun. Again, hadn't planned on doing anything pacy but once we were off, got caught chasing the 20min pacer. Kicked on the last mile to come in at 19.32.

24/11 : 5.5m @ 8.18. Some nice very relaxed easy recovery miles.

WTD: 50.9m (2 weeks)
    MTD: 68.8m
    YTD : 2075.8m

Back at it a bit more consistently over the last week. My first sub 18 attempt at Jingle bells is feeling less and less likely with my inactivity since DCM. I'd need to be holding the pace I have been doing for the 2mile club sessions and I'm not sure I can. Pretty shattered at the end of the second mile. I'll still give it a go but not overly confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

My first sub 18 attempt at Jingle bells is feeling less and less likely with my inactivity since DCM. I'd need to be holding the pace I have been doing for the 2mile club sessions and I'm not sure I can. Pretty shattered at the end of the second mile. I'll still give it a go but not overly confident.

As readers of my own log will know I'm definitely not the person to go to for 5k advice...but, 2 miles seems a big interval. Break it down to smaller chunks, I did 4x1mins/6mins/4x1mins at faster than 5k pace as my first post DCM workout and it was managable. You're just looking to sharpen up I presume and have a free rattle at the 5k...so don't get too disheartened if the 2 mile rep didn't feel great.

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    As readers of my own log will know I'm definitely not the person to go to for 5k advice...but, 2 miles seems a big interval. Break it down to smaller chunks, I did 4x1mins/6mins/4x1mins at faster than 5k pace as my first post DCM workout and it was managable. You're just looking to sharpen up I presume and have a free rattle at the 5k...so don't get too disheartened if the 2 mile rep didn't feel great.

Cheers J. If i was doing a solo session I think Id defo break it down. first year up at the club so wanted to take part in the 2mile they do too. As you said, its a free hit at the 5k so not overly stressing about it - as my current diet and alcohol intake would indicate!!!:P

Advertisement