Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

BDJW wrote: »
    Well I realised today why they never made the Sega Mega Drive collection from the 360 backwards compatiable on the One.....they released a new version of it a couple of weeks ago on the One and PS4!

Why release a bundle of old games once when you can do it twice? Sega do so many good things to make me love them, and then they do stuff like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

CatInABox wrote: »
    Why release a bundle of old games once when you can do it twice? Sega do so many good things to make me love them, and then they do stuff like this.

It’s not the exact same games. They’ve put some extras in that some people were calling out for. But they’ve removed Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles from it. And I don’t think either of those two are available on the Xbox store

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

BDJW wrote:
    It’s not the exact same games. They’ve put some extras in that some people were calling out for. But they’ve removed Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles from it. And I don’t think either of those two are available on the Xbox store

Sonic and Knuckles is available on gamepass so I presume you can get it on the store.

It's just another way to squeeze an extra few quid out of gamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have an XB1X but it's sitting gathering dust while you've a constant stream of killer exclusive games on PS4....it's just an endless list of 'must play' titles one after another.

I've always had an Xbox but this is the first generation I felt forced into actually getting a PS4 Pro as the game line up isn't just better, it's night and day. So disappointed with the Xbox One in general, how could they go from the roaring success of the 360 to such a limp, half-baked effort.

Having the most powerful console means nothing when there's nothing to play on it - they seem to be totally preoccupied with being 'the best' in that regard even though it's never been an overly relevant factor for decades now.

The only reason I can't bring myself to sell mine is that rare one session twice a year when the lads are home and we binge on Halo. Last generation, all 5 of my close group of friends had 360's. Now, they all have PS4's, and I'm the only one with the XB1 as well....but it just sits there most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I have an XB1X but it's sitting gathering dust while you've a constant stream of killer exclusive games on PS4....it's just an endless list of 'must play' titles one after another.
    Hardly endless. 1-2 a year that are noteworthy.
    Having the most powerful console means nothing when there's nothing to play on it - they seem to be totally preoccupied with being 'the best' in that regard even though it's never been an overly relevant factor for decades now.
    Rubbish. There is a tonne of content to be played on it.

Not only that, you have the best console version of each multiplatform game on the One X. Come autumn you have Red redemption 2 coming out which will look and play the best on XB1X and you can also play the original RDR at native 4K on XB1X. You can't even do that on PC.

Do you not want to play your PC games on the most powerful PC rig?
    Console gamers also want to play their games on the most powerful console.

PlayStation has one game every 6 months which is great but these are 8-12 hr campaign games. You don't keep people playing one campaign game for 6 months (some might :)). Multi-platform games are are where the vast majority of gaming time is spent.

This year for PlayStation all the mass market care about is God of War and Spider man. Just 2 games. No doubt God of War is great and Spider man will be too but 16 hours of gaming and they are both gone.

I think its a great time to get a PS4 just for its exclusives and its also a great time to own a XB1X for its impressive multiplatform support, exclusives, Game Pass, EA access and enhanced backward compatibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Hardly endless. 1-2 a year that are noteworthy.

Rubbish. There is a tonne of content to be played on it.

Not only that, you have the best console version of each multiplatform game on the One X. Come autumn you have Red redemption 2 coming out which will look and play the best on XB1X and you can also play the original RDR at native 4K on XB1X. You can't even do that on PC.

Do you not want to play your PC games on the most powerful PC rig?
    Console gamers also want to play their games on the most powerful console.

PlayStation has one game every 6 months which is great but these are 8-12 hr campaign games. You don't keep people playing one campaign game for 6 months (some might :)). Multi-platform games are are where the vast majority of gaming time is spent.

This year for PlayStation all the mass market care about is God of War and Spider man. Just 2 games. No doubt God of War is great and Spider man will be too but 16 hours of gaming and they are both gone.

I think its a great time to get a PS4 just for its exclusives and its also a great time to own a XB1X for its impressive multiplatform support, exclusives, Game Pass, EA access and enhanced backward compatibility.

Buy this man a beverage! Agree with you on this.

I've ps Pro as well and it's purely for exclusives, which, unless you are into lots of exclusive games just for the sake of them being exclusive, are not all that wonderful (other than the AAA offerings) and given the choice on multi platform releases, I'll play them on the One X every time.

There couldn't be a better time to be an Xbox One X owner and considering the mediocre E3 sony had, I don't think my ps Pro will be getting any more play than it is currently.

If remastered ps3 exclusives are your thing then I suppose there are a few games there as well but on a whole, unless you have more friends on the Sony platform, I can't see any reason why you would feel you are getting more playability from the PS over the One X, other than personal preference of course.

Factor in game pass and the items mentioned already in addition to consistently faster download servers, the Xbox is still in a great place.

Admittedly, I'm more of an xbox user than ps but I think saying that the Sony exclusives are the best reason to not have an Xbox One X, is highly subjective and debatable but ultimately just personal preference.

MY ps Pro will remain for the few exclusives and for gaming with friends now and then on that platform but it's never going to be played as much as the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I really think that too much is made of a lack of exclusives on Xbox because it really is a matter of preference as to which has better exclusives, for me there are some very good exclusives on both and no matter which console you have you'll be missing excellent games unless you have both. For me the Forza Horizon games are the most fun I can have in a driving game this generation and most of last generation too, Sunset Overdrive was excellent to and a big surprise how much fun it was to play, I really enjoyed Quantum Break(well apart from the final boss), Ori is just an excellent game too and that is without even mentioning the likes of Sea of Theives, Halo and Gears which I'm personally not a huge fan of.

That is not to say that I wouldn't like to play the PS4 exclusives like Horizon, God of War, Detroit and Spider-Man but combine the fact that the X plays multi-platform games better with the value of EA Access and Games Pass and for me it is the better choice especially when all future first party titles will be released on Games Pass.

Overall I think that gaming gets better for gamers every generation and we are seeing a lot of excellent games being released so if you only have one console you will always be missing out on some great games.

I think it's fair to say it's about a lot more than just simple subjectivity when

a) the PS4 has outsold the XB1 by 2 to 1

b) every major gaming outlet has raised concerns about the lack of exclusives on XB1

c) Phil Spencer directly addressed lack of exclusives

I'll also play multi-platforms on Xbox One X as it's the more powerful console, but Sony just has a way better grip on exclusives, it would be a bit mad to suggest otherwise.

And no, I wouldn't agree that gamers in general want to play their game on the most powerful hardware. If that were true, the PS1 wouldn't have outsold the N64, the PS2 wouldn't have outsold the Xbox, etc. Gamers care about games, primarily, the hardware is secondary.

I obviously didn't mean there's literally nothing to play on the Xbox platform, but the sales figures pretty much are the tale of the tape and Microsoft is doing badly this generation.

I'm not into exclusives just because they're exclusive, I'm just into good games. What does Microsoft have to answer God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Detroit, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc? This whole generation's been a massive let down for Xbox exclusives.

But it is subjective, how good a game is is a matter of personal opinion really, for example I have never liked Uncharted no matter how much I tried, I thought The Last of Us was over ratted too. I'm not trying to be negative about PS4 saying that either because I've never been a Halo fan, Gears got old very fast for me and I just don't like of Sea of Thieves, but I do see that others really like them. Sunset Overdrive is one of my favourite games of this generation, Ori is another game that is overlooked when talking about exclusives as it is excellent, Quantum Break is very under ratted too because of the live action TV show stuff but it was a very good game imo. Like I said before, it's a matter of opinion.

Also, on the idea that Xbox is selling badly, while it is not selling as well as the PS4 this generation is selling very well for both and MS don't need to be selling more than Sony, they just need to hit their own figures which I'm sure they are. In a perfect world there would be no exclusives and you could get every game no matter which console you have, maybe that will happen down the line when they perfect the game streaming services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I have a ps4 pro and last week I bought an Xbox One X and straight away the minute we fired up the xbox myself and the wife commented on how much better the games on xbox looked to those on ps4 pro, ps4 pro looked great but the difference we saw on the xbox was very suprising, I am not a fan boy, I bought the xbox because the games coming out in the next year will play and look alot better on the xbox, when the sony only games come out then I will take out the ps4 pro and play them, most ps4 only games seems to be mostly single player driven, but for multi platform I will be buying the games on xbox..

• Advertisement

And no, I wouldn't agree that gamers in general want to play their game on the most powerful hardware. If that were true, the PS1 wouldn't have outsold the N64, the PS2 wouldn't have outsold the Xbox, etc. Gamers care about games, primarily, the hardware is secondary.

Both ps1 and ps2 were released at least a couple of years before the n64 or xbox. That surely has to be a factor on why they outsold them.

Personally as a gamer I'd go for the better hardware provided the exclusives aren't totally on the other console.

I agree personal taste is subjective - like I don't personally like Uncharted or Gear of Wars either, but I also recognize that they're great games in their own way so I wouldn't label either as a bad game, or worthless exclusives or anything like that.

My argument isn't that X game or console is great and Y is bad - just that Microsoft have dropped the ball pretty in terms of solid, system selling exclusives, which they have.

Obviously there are a few excellent exclusives - Forza is one, PUBG was a decent coup for MS too and obviously Halo's still a big one (though boy did they fudge up Master Chief Collection so badly it killed the franchise for a lot of people) - and there's plenty decent games, but actual real system shifting titles are few and far between in comparison.

Last generation, the Xbox 360 sold more or as many consoles as the PS3. This generation, they're being outsold 2 to 1. That's simply down to the lack of compelling exclusives for the most part, as both consoles, like last generation, are pretty similar otherwise.

Most people chose their console based on the exclusives, not multi-platform performance. So some of us have XB1X and PS4 Pro (and maybe PC) to have the best of both worlds, but most will pick just one.

I even had to get the Revolution Controller for the Pro because I couldn't handle the dual shock, as I've always been an Xbox person since the original launch console in 2002.

Donutz wrote: »
    Both ps1 and ps2 were released at least a couple of years before the n64 or xbox. That surely has to be a factor on why they outsold them.

Personally as a gamer I'd go for the better hardware provided the exclusives aren't totally on the other console.

It's about a lot more than that. The PS2 came out a year earlier and sold 150+ million consoles.

The Xbox sold 25 million - you can't really attribute that purely to a head-start.

For example the Xbox 360 also came out earlier than the PS3 but in the end they sold pretty similarly.

It's about a lot more than that. The PS2 came out a year earlier and sold 150+ million consoles.

I agree but it can't hurt if you release your console ahead of your main rival.
    The Xbox sold 25 million - you can't really attribute that purely to a head-start.

Maybe not but at the time Microsoft was new to the console market while sony was around 10 years. Maybe Sony's reputation that they had built over the 10 years helped them here.
    For example the Xbox 360 also came out earlier than the PS3 but in the end they sold pretty similarly.

This is where I feel Microsoft missed a trick. Had they not have had the hardware failures that the 360 had towards the start, they could really have damaged the ps3.

There really hasn't been much of a performance difference between consoles throughout the years until now with the OneX and the feedback from everybody I spoken to or read online is nothing but positive.

There's still a bit of time left in this generation and time will tell weather it's exclusives or performance that gamers are more interested in.

I think MS dropped the ball with the way they announced the One and never really recovered with public perception really, they seemed to be moving more towards entertainment provider rather than games console and that put them on the back foot from the announcement so they have been fighting to catch up since. The bundling of Kinect with launch consoles then hurt them a lot to because at the start of this generation there the one was more expensive and the PS4 played multi platform games better too so the PS4 was selling much better because of those things. I would be surprised if the numbers of console sales are not a lot closer now than the overall numbers because since Phil Spencer too over the direction of the Xbox has changed dramatically and I personally believe that there is a lot more value to be had for gamers on Xbox that PS because of things like Game Pass and EA Access.

They have tried to get exclusives out too but people just seem to focus on Gears, Halo and Forza, but there have been plenty like Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall 1, Ori, Cuphead, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, ReCore, D4, Dead Rising 3 and even the likes of Project Spark, ScreamRide, Super Lucky's Tale, Zoo Tycoon. I will even give them credit for trying with Scalebound and Fable Legends but cancelling them because they didn't work out, and delaying Crackdown 3 until they feel it's ready because at least we can see they are trying. I don't think it is as bad as some make out with regards to exclusives but I will also admit that I'd like more top quality ones too.

I agree the way they bungled the launch of the console is definitely a major, major factor as well. They made it sound like it was a home entertainment machine that happened to be able to play games, rather than a games console that excelled as an entertainment hub. Combined with the Kinnect, it just soured people immediately.

I think the problem with some of those games like Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive - all decent games, but not really system selling games or ones that make you sit up and take notice. They need to invest in some serious heavy hitter AAA titles.

Game Pass and EA Access are good efforts too though, I'd say they, combined with the One X's brute power, are helping.

I think that Ryse, Scalebound, and Quantum Break were all seen by MS as AAA games when being developed but didn't quite make the grade in the end, something I also think is happening with Crackdown. They probably saw those combined with the usuals of Forza, Gears and Halo as being enough but it's so difficult to know before a game is finished, I mean both Platinum and Remedy make excellent games so it's understandable that they expected better from them. They also made a big thing of letting people know that they had 5 new first party studios(1 created and 4 bought) at E3 this year so they are obviously trying but it takes a long time and trends can change while a game is being made like what happened with Fable Legends. I think Phil Spencer was a great appointment for them but it may be the next gen before we see the full benefits of him being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Agree with the 2 things,bad start due to media machine rubbish followed by losing the exclusives battle. It gave them a good kick up the area though, game pass is getting close to essential territory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

MSFT first lost the plot as far back as 2010 when they first released the Kinect for the 360. They saw what was happening over at Nintendo and became convinced that motion sensor was the future of gaming. This is when ps3 began to catch up as the quality of 360 games began to decline with more emphasis on novelty titles released to involve use of Kinect.

Even by 2012 when it was already obvious that motion sensor gaming was just a fad they still pushed ahead with Kinect being at the core of the Xbox One. Albeit repurposed as more of a glorified remote control. Add in the stench of drm and it was always going crash on arrival.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MSFT first lost the plot as far back as 2010 when they first released the Kinect for the 360. They saw what was happening over at Nintendo and became convinced that motion sensor was the future of gaming. This is when ps3 began to catch up as the quality of 360 games began to decline with more emphasis on novelty titles released to involve use of Kinect.

Even by 2012 when it was already obvious that motion sensor gaming was just a fad they still pushed ahead with Kinect being at the core of the Xbox One. Albeit repurposed as more of a glorified remote control. Add in the stench of drm and it was always going crash on arrival.

In fairness to them, the kinect was the fastest selling consumer electronic device at the time, outstripping the iPhone and iPad. They were also looking at the telemetry from everyone's Xbox 360, which was showing them that people were using their consoles as netflix boxes rather than gaming boxes.

They saw all this, along with the Wii success, and guessed at what the future would be. They guessed horribly wrong, but I can see why they went down the road that they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, whats the story with elite controller? There are actually not many around for sale. Still 150eu too.
    There were some leaks of new one coming out, but e3 went by and we heard nothing. Would be a bit stupid buying one full price if new one is coming out soonish?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It is a great controller the elite as I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and pressing the analog control button started to hurt my thumbs after doing it for so long and I decided to take my elite controller out of the box and mapped that thumb button to the ones on the back and made such a difference.

But is it worth 150 though is another question for me personally no it is not but I got a great deal from Argos a couple of months ago an Elite controller and AC Origins for 120 which was totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Saying that, you can still map the regular controllers too. It's just.nice to have the extra triggers.

The second Elite is still coming, but I was convinced that E3 would be the reveal. Now? Who knows. Could be announced anytime really. The shortages of the Elite are telling though, I could see it released in October/November for the holiday season.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

The second Elite is still coming, but I was convinced that E3 would be the reveal. Now? Who knows. Could be announced anytime really. The shortages of the Elite are telling though, I could see it released in October/November for the holiday season.
    Gamescom is probably when the announcement will happen. if not then it will be one of inside xbox shows!

I've always had an Xbox but this is the first generation I felt forced into actually getting a PS4 Pro as the game line up isn't just better, it's night and day. So disappointed with the Xbox One in general, how could they go from the roaring success of the 360 to such a limp, half-baked effort.

The only reason I can't bring myself to sell mine is that rare one session twice a year when the lads are home and we binge on Halo. Last generation, all 5 of my close group of friends had 360's. Now, they all have PS4's, and I'm the only one with the XB1 as well....but it just sits there most of the time.
    Vanilla PS4 for exclusives (or PS4 Pro if you have the cash, why not)
    Xbox One X for everything else.

But totally understand why someone would want to just buy a PS4 and play everything on that.

Likewise I can totally understand why someone would buy an Xbox One X to play majority of games on the best experience and not bother with PS4 exclusives.

But to say the Xbox has no games is simply nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I dont play an awful lot on my xbox one anymore (pretty much just PUBG). Will it be serviceable for the next few years of games or would it be worth trading in for an X? Similar to the above, seeing PS4 exclusives are getting to me a bit and the new spider man is tempting me to buy a PS4 on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am playing a lot of fortnite and elite controller would be perfect for it, due to those paddles. Jumping and shooting is really hard with "A".
    I dont want to buy old one full price now just to see new one out few weeks later.
    If its in October/November, then I can ask misses to get it for me as an xmas present.

I am playing a lot of fortnite and elite controller would be perfect for it, due to those paddles. Jumping and shooting is really hard with "A".
    I dont want to buy old one full price now just to see new one out few weeks later.
    If its in October/November, then I can ask misses to get it for me as an xmas present.

I'd hold out, to be honest. The current ones are great, but do eventually suffer from the rubber grips peeling off. Quite disappointing, but I'd assume that they'll correct that for the next version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I dont play an awful lot on my xbox one anymore (pretty much just PUBG). Will it be serviceable for the next few years of games or would it be worth trading in for an X? Similar to the above, seeing PS4 exclusives are getting to me a bit and the new spider man is tempting me to buy a PS4 on its own.

With a new generation Xbox already on the horizon I've completely abandoned any notion of buying an X. I'll buy a base model PS4 at some point and begin working my way through its back catalogue, though. Gotta admit that Spidey game has me intrigued as well. Sadly, there has been no potential killer app for the XB1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement