Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You could get a 32 inch 4k monitor but it may lack HDR.

Would I need a 4K TV to see Battlefront 2 as you describe it there or does it still look best on xBox with any HD TV?

I'm putting a TV in our spare room and was figured I may as well get a 4K but there doesn't seem to be any 4K smaller than a 40 inch. Am I just not looking right or is there no 3K 32 inch?

EDIT: I don't think I have the skill to survive long in multiplayer of any game. My nephew might let me in on Battlefront but I want tp play regardless. Seems pretty much designed to put us actually in a Star Wars adventure.
    Yes you'll see an improvement even on a 1080p tv. 4k is pointless on small screens it's all about picture clarity on big screens where 1080p would be noticeably blocky/pixelated.

Take battlefront 2 for an example. I have both and X and S and on the S it has a very noticeable ghosting effect (technical term I think is anti-aliasing but I'm not an expert). On the X it's smooth and clear.

You could go 1080p with HDR but I'm not sure if many games support HDR to make it worth the extra. Forza and Gears are the only ones I can think of.

You could go 1080p with HDR but I'm not sure if many games support HDR to make it worth the extra. Forza and Gears are the only ones I can think of.

Super Lucky's Tale, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed: Origins,, Battlefield 1, Crash Insane trilogy, Fortnite the list goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

GBX wrote: »
    You need a bigger room so :D

I had the sledge hammer in my hand but was told put it away ;)

You could get a 32 inch 4k monitor but it may lack HDR.

I've seen the HDR logo on the Movies app on AppleTV and on my iPhone 4 and I've Googled it but can't get my head around all the HD, HDR Dolby Vision, etc.

When I use HDR on my iPhone camera the image is usually bad so I've never understood what is "dynamic" about it.

What is HDR in iTunes and Blu-ray Discs?

While looking for 4K TVs under 40 inches I did notice 32 inch, etc 4K monitors and you also referred to monitors - I had assumed this were computer monitors. What is the difference between these and televisions?

And there is some monitors with HDR.

EDIT: I just realised that I never actually mentioned that I wouldn't just be gaming - games would be secondary to watching movies mainly from an AppleTV 4 but also some on blu-ray with the xBox.

Would movies look good on one of those monitors ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Hdr is a bigger jump in eye candy than 4k.
    A 1080p TV with true 10 bit hdr is better than the fake 8bit plus software setup.

Edit: have never seen a 4k TV under 49 inch.
    If you find one it's not worth it.

deco nate wrote: »
    Hdr is a bigger jump in eye candy than 4k.
    A 1080p TV with true 10 bit hdr is better than the fake 8bit plus software setup.

Edit: have never seen a 4k TV under 49 inch.
    If you find one it's not worth it.

So is HDR something separate to 4K and not a part of it?

"A 1080p TV with true 10 bit hdr is better than the fake 8bit plus software setup." - Sorry I don't understand.:o

I've seen 40 inch 4K TVs online.

Difference between a Tv and monitor is a monitor has no Tv turner but will work the same with a Xbox or Apple Tv as long as the device you plug into the monitor has a HDMI output.

No real need for a TV tuner anyway if you have a sky box or streaming box also I forgot most 4k Tv's would be smart tvs which means it would have the likes of youtube and netflix apps pre-installed a monitor would not have those but you said you have a apple Tv so that would have those anyway.

Yes you can get HDR monitors but you will pay a lot for them. You can pick up a 4k monitor cheap just make sure it is a VA or IPS so the colours will be better than a TN model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Difference between a Tv and monitor is a monitor has no Tv turner but will work the same with a Xbox or Apple Tv as long as the device you plug into the monitor has a HDMI output.

No real need for a TV tuner anyway if you have a sky box or streaming box also I forgot most 4k Tv's would be smart tvs which means it would have the likes of youtube and netflix apps pre-installed a monitor would not have those but you said you have a apple Tv so that would have those anyway.

The monitor won't have speakers either.

The monitor won't have speakers either.

I'd be mainly using headphones and adding speakers won't be a problem, but thanks for the warning - I hadn't thought of it.;)

• Advertisement

Yes you can get HDR monitors but you will pay a lot for them. You can pick up a 4k monitor cheap just make sure it is a VA or IPS so the colours will be better than a TN model.

So a 4K monitor would show AppleTV 4 and blu-rays as good as any TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

What is HDR in iTunes and Blu-ray Discs?
    Trying not to go into the technicalities of it, mainly because I'm not entirely sure about them, but with HDR you are basically getting higher contrasts and more colour in the image. Essentially blacker blacks and whiter whites. So less of those slightly greyish looking shadows you get when watching a movie on your TV.

Anecdotally I have seen people notice the difference much between 4K HDR and "ordinary" 4K than between 4K and High Definition, mainly because you are really seeing the full colour palette rather than just a sharper image.

But for you to get the benefit of that, not only does your TV need to be compatible but the source material needs to be compatible too, so the movie needs to be mastered in HDR. Realistically the vast majority of 4K discs or 4K movies in itunes / netflix etc. will have been mastered in HDR.

When it comes to buying a tv or monitor I would suggest getting one that is HDR compatible, you are going to be spending a decent amount of cash for something that you want to get years of use out of so you may as well future proof yourself to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

So is HDR something separate to 4K and not a part of it?

"A 1080p TV with true 10 bit hdr is better than the fake 8bit plus software setup." - Sorry I don't understand.:o

I've seen 40 inch 4K TVs online.

Have a look through this thread which has some good info on everything you need to know.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057653402/73/#post107806657

Faker74 wrote: »
    Trying not to go into the technicalities of it, mainly because I'm not entirely sure about them, but with HDR you are basically getting higher contrasts and more colour in the image. Essentially blacker blacks and whiter whites. So less of those slightly greyish looking shadows you get when watching a movie on your TV.

Anecdotally I have seen people notice the difference much between 4K HDR and "ordinary" 4K than between 4K and High Definition, mainly because you are really seeing the full colour palette rather than just a sharper image.

But for you to get the benefit of that, not only does your TV need to be compatible but the source material needs to be compatible too, so the movie needs to be mastered in HDR. Realistically the vast majority of 4K discs or 4K movies in itunes / netflix etc. will have been mastered in HDR.

When it comes to buying a tv or monitor I would suggest getting one that is HDR compatible, you are going to be spending a decent amount of cash for something that you want to get years of use out of so you may as well future proof yourself to a degree.

Okay, I think I have a handle the HDR thing now. Cheers. :)

How do I judge the size screen that suits the room best? Is is a small room above a stairs that is used to store stuff but I'll also be putting in a computer desk so there. It is about 9 feet but I don't think I'll be able more than 5 or so eet from the wall where I' put the monitor.

So a 4K monitor would show AppleTV 4 and blu-rays as good as any TV?

I'm not convinced, a monitor has a "monitor quality" to it. Ha that's about as layman as it gets, but the best I can describe it is it's not like looking at a TV. In my opinion, consoles are for TVs.

At the risk of over simplifying, 4K is all about clarity of the picture. Go up close to your TV this evening and you'll notice its blocky and blurry. Step back and you'll see it looks clear. So with a big 55"-65" screen you need to step even further back before the picture gets clear. That's where 4K comes in, you can sit closer to a large screen and not lose clarity.

Okay, I think I have a handle the HDR thing now.

How do I judge the size screen that suits the room best? Is is a small room above a stairs that is used to store stuff but I'll also be putting in a computer desk so there. It is about 9 feet but I don't think I'll be able more than 5 or so eet from the wall where I' put the monitor.

There's a graph knocking about on boards somewhere which tells you what size TV you need based on distance to your couch. Also whether 4K is worthwhile. Darned if I'm going searching for it! :P

There's a graph knocking about on boards somewhere which tells you what size TV you need based on distance to your couch. Also whether 4K is worthwhile. Darned if I'm going searching for it! :P

I've seen those graphs but there are also people who dispute the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^^^^^^^^
    optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

marcbrophy wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^
    optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

It is about not being close enough to see the pixels, isn't it?

I'm not convinced, a monitor has a "monitor quality" to it. Ha that's about as layman as it gets, but the best I can describe it is it's not like looking at a TV. In my opinion, consoles are for TVs.

You can buy monitors that are far better than any Tv. So I do not know where you came out with this quality thing.

You can also get really sh*t Tv's...

• Advertisement

You can buy monitors that are far better than any Tv. So I do not know where you came out with this quality thing.

You can also get really sh*t Tv's...

I'm far less than a layman in the technical aspect - how is the aspect ratio affected by smaller TVs and monitors?

I'm really struggling to assemble my question. :P

On iTunes The Force Awakens is 2.35:1 and War for the Planet of the Apes is 2.40:1 - meaning we get black bars across the top and bottom of the screen.

So would those black bars take up the same amount of space (proportionately) on a 32 inch as they do on a 42 inch or would a smaller screen have less black bars?

Does that make any sense?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm far less than a layman in the technical aspect - how is the aspect ratio affected by smaller TVs and monitors?

I'm really struggling to assemble my question. :P

On iTunes The Force Awakens is 2.35:1 and War for the Planet of the Apes is 2.40:1 - meaning we get black bars across the top and bottom of the screen.

So would those black bars take up the same amount of space (proportionately) on a 32 inch as they do on a 42 inch or would a smaller screen have less black bars?

Does that make any sense?:confused:

lad, you're getting bogged down in the details. just buy something (anything) and enjoy it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Black bars will be there on any TV depending on the aspect ratio of what you're watching and will take up the same space proportionately. I wouldn't worry about them, you should be more worried if they're never there tbh as it probably means some setting on your TV is distorting or cropping the image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sorry if this has been asked before - Did anyone get the email re: Games for Gold. The games are:

XBox One
    Prison Architect (Available 1 - 30 Sep)
    Livelock (Available 16 Sep - 15 Oct)

XBox 360
    Lego Star Wars 3 (Available 1 - 15 Sep)
    Monster World (Available 16 - 30 Sep)

I clicked the link for Prison Architect and was able to redeem it for free (to an XBox One).

In the email it says that 360 games can be downloaded to XBox One using backward compatibility. But every time I click the link for Lego Star Wars 3 from a phone I get brought to a screen that says I have to buy it. When I use a desktop I only get an option to download to XBox 360.

Is there something I should be doing that will allow me download it to XBox One? Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Synode wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before - Did anyone get the email re: Games for Gold. The games are:

XBox One
    Prison Architect (Available 1 - 30 Sep)
    Livelock (Available 16 Sep - 15 Oct)

XBox 360
    Lego Star Wars 3 (Available 1 - 15 Sep)
    Monster World (Available 16 - 30 Sep)

I clicked the link for Prison Architect and was able to redeem it for free (to an XBox One).

In the email it says that 360 games can be downloaded to XBox One using backward compatibility. But every time I click the link for Lego Star Wars 3 from a phone I get brought to a screen that says I have to buy it. When I use a desktop I only get an option to download to XBox 360.

Is there something I should be doing that will allow me download it to XBox One? Thanks for any help.

On the screen where it asks you to buy - the price should be 'free' , its the standard way it happens when redeeming 360 titles.

On the screen where it asks you to buy - the price should be 'free' , its the standard way it happens when redeeming 360 titles.

This is the screen I get from a desktop. I want to download it to an XBox One, not a 360

460367.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Synode wrote: »
    This is the screen I get from a desktop. I want to download it to an XBox One, not a 360

460367.JPG

Do you have an active payment method on your account?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Click the "Download to 360" button, the next screen should have a price of "Free" up in the top left hand corner.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do you have an active payment method on your account?

Yes
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Click the "Download to 360" button, the next screen should have a price of "Free" up in the top left hand corner.

Just done that and then ended up at the screen below. I'm confused though as it says XBox 360 all over it. Will I be able to download it to my XBox One (can't test it at the moment)

Edit: Scratch that, I see the part about XBox One now - thanks for the help folks.

460368.JPG

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Black bars will be there on any TV depending on the aspect ratio of what you're watching and will take up the same space proportionately. I wouldn't worry about them, you should be more worried if they're never there tbh as it probably means some setting on your TV is distorting or cropping the image.

They aren't a worry, just that on a 32 inch the actual movie will be significantly smaller the I'm used too. Might have to get a bigger screen.

Do shops still exist? :P

I'll have to venture out into the streets and see these screens in the real world.:)

EDIT: I could have sworn I'd posted this a few minutes ago.:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement