Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

Just a quick one...... I've been out of touch with the console for a while so don't want to get burned.

It used to be Microsoft points when I played, but they're gone now correct? It's all gift cards in currency denominations now? So if I wanted to get a present for someone in Oz, it would have to be in aussie dollars?

Does this then mean that retailers don't do deals on the cards\keys?.....i.e. Nobody sells a 100$ card for $60, at least not legitimately?

https://www.g2a.com/xbox-live-gift-card-australia-100-aud-xbox-live-key-i10000070179026

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just a quick one...... I've been out of touch with the console for a while so don't want to get burned.

It used to be Microsoft points when I played, but they're gone now correct? It's all gift cards in currency denominations now? So if I wanted to get a present for someone in Oz, it would have to be in aussie dollars?

Does this then mean that retailers don't do deals on the cards\keys?.....i.e. Nobody sells a 100$ card for $60, at least not legitimately?

https://www.g2a.com/xbox-live-gift-card-australia-100-aud-xbox-live-key-i10000070179026

No I never seen any place sell a currency card with that much of a savings in fact when buying currency cards from another region you actually pay more than they are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Does anyone here use external hard drives to games on the xBox One X?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yes, I have a solid state external and a standard one also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Almost everyone.

You need it to be usb 3.0 and you should fine. You can get a 2tb recertified for around €55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Is mw3 backward compatible lads ? I can see it in the store on Xbox one but I bought the disc today and it’s saying it’s unplayable on Xbox one ? Any ideas ?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Is mw3 backward compatible lads ? I can see it in the store on Xbox one but I bought the disc today and it’s saying it’s unplayable on Xbox one ? Any ideas ?

It definitely is backwards compatible. Are you connected to the internet? It should download a digital version once you insert the disc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

It definitely is backwards compatible. Are you connected to the internet? It should download a digital version once you insert the disc

Cheers it started downloading after removing and inserting the disc a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Appologies if this has been covered already. The youtube app on my xbone is acting up recently. The menu screen has a lag on the "video" aspect where I scroll through the videos. It makes the sounds as though its scrolling normally but the first video remains highlighted. Eventually the visuals catch up with the input and the sound. Once I play a video its a similar situation. The video will pause every so often. The audio will continue properly.Then the video will fast forward to "catch up" and sync with the audio. This happens every 5 to 10 seconds. Im actually using Youtube through the Edge app as the youtube app is un-watchable at this point. Tried un-installing the app and re-setting the console with no change. Is anybody else seeing this issue? Is there any fix or is it a matter of waiting for the next update?

Yes, I have a solid state external and a standard one also.
    amadablam wrote: »
    Almost everyone.

You need it to be usb 3.0 and you should fine. You can get a 2tb recertified for around €55

And do the games play straight from the external drive or do you need to transfer back and forth when playing?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a 4K monitor with HDR and multiple HDMI ports?

I can't find any with both online and anytime I get near a shop something gets in the way.

• Advertisement

And do the games play straight from the external drive or do you need to transfer back and forth when playing?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a 4K monitor with HDR and multiple HDMI ports?

I can't find any with both online and anytime I get near a shop something gets in the way.

they play straight from the drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Don't think that you'l find any such monitor in the bricks and mortar shops yet, they're still pretty rare. This one has what you're looking for, but I don't know either your price range, or if you can get those features in a cheaper monitor.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Don't think that you'l find any such monitor in the bricks and mortar shops yet, they're still pretty rare. This one has what you're looking for, but I don't know either your price range, or if you can get those features in a cheaper monitor.

Price is okay but 27 inch is too small. There is a 32 inch LG with HDR and two HDMI ports too but it around €900. :eek:

I was hoping for more HDMI ports but no monitor seems to have more than two. I suppose I'll just have to get up and switch the cable myself to the third device. :p

Would a HDMI splitter affect quality or response time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Price is okay but 27 inch is too small. There is a 32 inch LG with HDR and two HDMI ports too but it around €900. :eek:

I was hoping for more HDMI ports but no monitor seems to have more than two. I suppose I'll just have to get up and switch the cable myself to the third device. :p

Would a HDMI splitter affect quality or response time?

You'd probably be better off getting a HDMI to DP adapter.

You'd probably be better off getting a HDMI to DP adapter.

Has Display port the same capabilities as HDMI? 4K, etc.

Would xBox One X games look good on it?

I tried googling myself but my phone can't load any sites comparing HDMI and DP

Are Floating Grips good wall mounts?

Is a bracket a safer option?

Has Display port the same capabilities as HDMI? 4K, etc.

Would xBox One X games look good on it?

I tried googling myself but my phone can't load any sites comparing HDMI and DP

Looking around, it doesn't seem like the adapters do 4k yet, so the One X won't work. What else are you hooking up to it?

Looking around, it doesn't seem like the adapters do 4k yet, so the One X won't work. What else are you hooking up to it?

AppleTV 4K, Xbox One X, a Nintendo 64* and my MacBook for playing a few of the Lego games. Maybe a PS 4 next year but not sure.

(if that is possible - posted about it in the Retro games forum)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are you playing at a desk? If not you might be better off just getting a TV tbh.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are you playing at a desk? If not you might be better off just getting a TV tbh.

Not at a desk. I'd be sitting 5 or 6 six feet away from the screen - which will probably be a 32 inch.

Why do you think a TV would be better?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

it's easier to find a TV with 4k HDR, though you'd probably have to go at least 40 inch. And if you're sitting that far back you'll be glad of the bigger screen, go for a 55 inch if you can fit it.

it's easier to find a TV with 4k HDR, though you'd probably have to go at least 40 inch. And if you're sitting that far back you'll be glad of the bigger screen, go for a 55 inch if you can fit it.

Which size screen to choose has been an issue. I was thinking 32 inch might be too small because I'm so used to the 42 inch screen, but I thought 40 or bigger would be much for that distance.

I didn't know how to be able to test it but I jut realised the answer is obvious. Much the couch in the living room closer to the telly for a while.:).

I'm not sure you'd actually be able to tell the difference between 4k and 1080 at 5 or 6 feet tbh on a 40 inch. I have a 55 inch oled TV and they look the same to me at a couple of feet further. HDR is more noticeable than resolution.

Having said that, I don't game on the TV so maybe the resolution is more noticeable in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'm not sure you'd actually be able to tell the difference between 4k and 1080 at 5 or 6 feet tbh on a 40 inch . I have a 55 inch oled TV and they look the same to me at a couple of feet further. HDR is more noticeable than resolution.

Having said that, I don't game on the TV so maybe the resolution is more noticeable in a game.

You definitely can. That's exactly what I do.
    I had to come down in size from a 55 inch 4K TV to a 40 inch when I moved and I thought it wouldn't be great at 40 but I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a 49 inch 4k Tv and it is massive. And the room is not even that small. But has a fair bit of stuff in it. Computer desk with monitor etc... a book shelve/ game shelve, built in wardrobes.

I was like you at first waiting for a 4k monitor at 32 inch with HDR and got fed up waiting for one at a decent price. 27" is far too small for a 4k monitor. The way I see it for monitors is 24" for 1080p, 27" for 1440p and 32" and higher for 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

Anyone sold a One X recently? Where would be the best place to trade it in or sell it? Not getting much use out of mine so thinking of shipping it on for PC parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No .. maybe PM the OP on this post he looks like he is after one ... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108060677&postcount=83

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Does anyone bother doing the Microsoft reward stuff for xbox gift cards?

scottigael wrote: »
    Does anyone bother doing the Microsoft reward stuff for xbox gift cards?

we don't get the same daily stuff as other places do on the web site. On android half the stuff doesn't work or doesn't credit you for it like some of the quizzes and polls are just broken and the daily streak is broken as a result as you can never finish them. I do the ones on the xbox app when I think of it as it only takes a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

we don't get the same daily stuff as other places do on the web site. On android half the stuff doesn't work or doesn't credit you for it like some of the quizzes and polls are just broken and the daily streak is broken as a result as you can never finish them. I do the ones on the xbox app when I think of it as it only takes a few seconds.

How often do you use the points you build up by just doing that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement