Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

CatInABox wrote: »
    Could be nothing, could be drive failure. Is it in warranty? If yes, then contact MS and see what they say, no harm in being proactive about it.

I thought the warranty was two years, but a quick google is telling me it's only one year :(, is that correct? It was bought on Amazon as a present for me for Christmas 2016 so if it's only a one year warranty, I'll be out of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

BDJW wrote:
    I thought the warranty was two years, but a quick google is telling me it's only one year , is that correct? It was bought on Amazon as a present for me for Christmas 2016 so if it's only a one year warranty, I'll be out of luck

I think if you contact support with a proof of purchase they bump it up to 2 years.

The S I bought directly from MS store during the week is under warranty till
    27/11/20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

BDJW wrote: »
    I thought the warranty was two years, but a quick google is telling me it's only one year :(, is that correct? It was bought on Amazon as a present for me for Christmas 2016 so if it's only a one year warranty, I'll be out of luck

Warranty for European customers is 2 years under EU law and customer care are/should be well aware of that.

Just have your proof of purchase as Miskky said and you will be fine if you get the ball moving as Christmas 2018 aint so far away! :eek::eek:

They usually can tell when an item was first used online as well and I know of one instance whereby a controller firmware update was accepted as proof of warranty status.

In my experience, MS customer care is pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Thanks lads. Will get the receipt off my girlfriend and get onto MS over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BDJW wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Will get the receipt off my girlfriend and get onto MS over the weekend

Get your girlfriend to get onto Amazon, they should exchange it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Get your girlfriend to get onto Amazon, they should exchange it for you.

Yes I'd go to Amazon before MS. Their support is great and should sort an exchange for you - and it's Amazon you have a contract with, warranty is largely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I think if you contact support with a proof of purchase they bump it up to 2 years.

The S I bought directly from MS store during the week is under warranty till
    27/11/20

I got a One X from MS last week and mine says 24/11/2020

Any idea why we're getting 26 month warranties? Not complaining though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

amadablam wrote: »
    Warranty for European customers is 2 years under EU law and customer care are/should be well aware of that.

There is nothing specific to say customers have a 2 year warranty. Most companies/manufacturers only supply a 1 year warranty with their items

There is nothing specific to say customers have a 2 year warranty. Most companies/manufacturers only supply a 1 year warranty with their items

I don't think they are honoring a two year warranty for the good of their health.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/indexamp_en.htm

[url] https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

That is not a warranty. Ireland's law gives 6 years to make a claim for faulty goods.

Warranties are in addition to your statutory rights

• Advertisement

Microsoft are still giving two years on the hardware to European customers so i don't know what you are trying to prove here? That's what the question was from the guy? Other posters have also got their two year cover from Microsoft so call it what you want.

MOD EDIT: Attack the post, not the poster. CIAB

Microsoft are still giving two years on the hardware to European customers so i don't know what you are trying to prove here? That's what the question was from the guy? Other posters have also got their two year cover from Microsoft so call it what you want.

MOD EDIT: Attack the post, not the poster. CIAB

You are doing confusing your statutory rights with a warranty. The EU 2 year period for a claim is superceded here by our 6 year period.

Microsoft by default provide, in addition to your statutory rights, a one year warranty on the console.

If the console breaks under a year you just invoke your warranty. If it breaks after 366 days MS can't just wash their hands of it as our laws provide protection for the consumer.

MS support in Europe often forget that in Ireland we have a longer claim period and in essence act as if the warranty is 2 years (which is the EU claim period) however if the console broke after 2 years and 1 day we could still potentially make a claim.

I find that hard to believe. There isn't a shop in the country that would take an item in after 5 years and fix it under warranty. Take a look at all the extended warranty deals out there, surely it would be false advertising making people pay extra for a 3 or 4 year warranty when we have 6 years as statutory.

I find that hard to believe. There isn't a shop in the country that would take an item in after 5 years and fix it under warranty. Take a look at all the extended warranty deals out there, surely it would be false advertising making people pay extra for a 3 or 4 year warranty when we have 6 years as statutory.

You do not have a 6 year statutory warranty. You have 6 years to make a claim on faulty goods. Whether you will be successful or not depends hugely on the expected lifespan of the goods and the cost.

E.g a 2k fridge that breaks after 5 years would potentially allow you to claim and recoup some of the cost. A 5 euro headset that broke after 3 years would not be covered

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He's right, you'd probably have to threaten lmost places with the small claims court before they'd honour it though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's right, you'd probably have to threaten lmost places with the small claims court before they'd honour it though.

Sadly yes, some retailers will just state the warranty is expired and expect you to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Took advantage of the Xbox One X Fifa trade in deal and upgraded my One S for a One X, got rid of my my switch to help fund it. I wasn't playing it and there weren't any new releases i was looking forward to.

Now i've done that, what games would best show off the X? I've got Game Pass to give FH4 a go, I have FM7 already. Going to pick up Assassins creed Odyssey this weekend hopefully but just curious is there any must have X enhanced games? I've heard RDR got a nice upgrade so will give that a bash as well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks pretty great on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The Witcher 3 is good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Gears 4 and Halo 5 both look great in 4k, Destiny 2 is a visually striking game also.

Another controller which I couldn't resist. It's on the shelf with some others as my elite is the daily driver but this looks pretty decent.

Only €59.99 from Smyths which is a lot cheaper than argos, GS, or many other places

Thought I'd stick up a picture of the open box for anyone looking at these.

Also, mods, if you need to resize the pictures, please do as I couldn't do it from imgur. :(

hUGLoJW.jpg

FDSHpqq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Amadablam, how many Xbox One controllers do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

That's a beaut!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Gears 4 and Halo 5 both look great in 4k, Destiny 2 is a visually striking game also.
    Halo:Master Chief Collection also got a 4K60 HDR bump (and a billion bug fixes) and is on Game Pass too.

Looks and plays great. Loving ODST again (no firefight yet, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Halo:Master Chief Collection also got a 4K60 HDR bump (and a billion bug fixes) and is on Game Pass too.

Looks and plays great. Loving ODST again (no firefight yet, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭digiman

Does anyone have a price list of what gamestop or elsewhere will offer for trading in a few games.

Fifa 18
    Forza motorsport 7
    GTA 5

If you look them up on the CeX website you should be able to see what they buy them for.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Amadablam, how many Xbox One controllers do you have?

Hi Jordan, I only have around 8 at the moment as I recently sold/traded 6 or so for other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

digiman wrote: »
    Does anyone have a price list of what gamestop or elsewhere will offer for trading in a few games.

Fifa 18
    Forza motorsport 7
    GTA 5

Cex give you a price list on d website

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement