Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Why is it FPP or TPP that makes no sense its a FPS game with TPS features. Finding a game does not work at all but if I go into custom I can join a game. Got some reward for disconnecting from host and de-sync WTF. No wonder this is on game pass!

Jeesus it blows on xbox. Did not port well the controls are too slow. Frame rate is horrible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Why is it FPP or TPP that makes no sense its a FPS game with TPS features. Finding a game does not work at all but if I go into custom I can join a game. Got some reward for disconnecting from host and de-sync WTF. No wonder this is on game pass!

ha? it can be played in third person or first person?

To be fair to the game, its pretty rough and ready, but its light years better than what it was at launch. And of all the bugs and problems its had, matchmaking wasnt really one I ever came across.

ha? it can be played in third person or first person?

To be fair to the game, its pretty rough and ready, but its light years better than what it was at launch. And of all the bugs and problems its had, matchmaking wasnt really one I ever came across.

You can switch to First person in a TPP lobby?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can switch to First person in a TPP lobby?

Which gives you a massive disadvantage, which is why hey made the separate lobbies. The game was originally built for TPP and people asked for the FPP lobbies so you could use FPP on a level playing field.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Which gives you a massive disadvantage, which is why hey made the separate lobbies. The game was originally built for TPP and people asked for the FPP lobbies so you could use FPP on a level playing field.

But you could switch to 1st person when shooting at someone or in buildings. Can you do that in the TPP lobbies?

But you could switch to 1st person when shooting at someone or in buildings. Can you do that in the TPP lobbies?

sorry if I'm not following, but its broken down into two hoppers - you're either A)locked to first person perspective, or B) you play in third person, with an option to zoom into first person on the fly.

if you play in lobby A), theres no toggling of viewpoints available. the reason that theres no one playing those is because its ultimately too framey, and the controls are too finicky to be enjoyable in comparison to using a mouse and keyboard on PC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Microsoft are developing a diskless version of the Xbox One S, according to BDSams, a Microsoft watcher that I respect.

2019 release, with a Disk-to-Digital scheme operating in stores, it's meant to cut the price as much as possible. Not sure how losing the drive will get the $100 savings he's talking about, perhaps through a die shrink at the same time.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Microsoft are developing a diskless version of the Xbox One S, according to BDSams, a Microsoft watcher that I respect.

2019 release, with a Disk-to-Digital scheme operating in stores, it's meant to cut the price as much as possible. Not sure how losing the drive will get the $100 savings he's talking about, perhaps through a die shrink at the same time.

They would make that "discount" back in no time. Most definitely works out as more profit in the long run, as digital versions of games are always more expensive when they are released and even out a while than a pre-owned disc. Perhaps if it catches on it will drive the price of digital-downloads down eventually.

My guess would be they can only be downloaded once if it is disk-to-digital can the disk be sold again. I'd guess not probably void the disk if you go digital with it.

Probably a good time to start investing in expansion drives for the xbox!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They would make that "discount" back in no time. Most definitely works out as more profit in the long run, as digital versions of games are always more expensive when they are released and even out a while than a pre-owned disc. Perhaps if it catches on it will drive the price of digital-downloads down eventually.

My guess would be they can only be downloaded once if it is disk-to-digital can the disk be sold again. I'd guess not probably void the disk if you go digital with it.

Presumably, because it's in stores, then you're trading the disk in, and that store can then resell it to whoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice, good for keeping costs down. No idea when I last bought physical media, couple of years ago at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

AfAIK Sony own the rights to blu-ray and microsoft have to pay commission to them for each drive supposedly. So cost of blu-ray drive plus commission plus a couple of quid MS drop off price that they will make back through games and xbox live would add up to the $100 saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What about DVDs Blu Rays and UHDs?

There must be very little usage on them if they think a disc-less model has legs to begin with!!

marcbrophy wrote: »

There must be very little usage on them if they think a disc-less model has legs to begin with!!

There's a reason Blockbuster, Xtravision, HMV, etc, are all gone....

There's a reason Blockbuster, Xtravision, HMV, etc, are all gone....

Probably because of people like me who have about 350 titles on my xbox, but less than 10 discs.

I just didn't realise the pendulum had swung towards disc usage being in the minority :)

Physical media is going the way of the dodo. Spotify, Netflix, Steam, etc. Coupled with something like gamepass, you can see their strategy.

Physical media is going the way of the dodo. Spotify, Netflix, Steam, etc. Coupled with something like gamepass, you can see their strategy.

Oh of course, I'm under no illusion.
    I just didn't think it'd be something some markets are ready for is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Oh of course, I'm under no illusion.
    I just didn't think it'd be something some markets are ready for is all :)

You’re absolutely spot on, everyone isn’t ready. That’s why the Xbox One S and Xbox one X are going nowhere.

I like their approach with this, a low, medium and high cost entry to a console. I can also see a lot of people going for this to supplement their PS4 for Xbox Live monthly games and EA access once it’s priced keenly.

No doubt though, this is a test of the market before next gen which most reckon will be the last disc drive gen.

AfAIK Sony own the rights to blu-ray and microsoft have to pay commission to them for each drive supposedly. So cost of blu-ray drive plus commission plus a couple of quid MS drop off price that they will make back through games and xbox live would add up to the $100 saving.
    Yes but Microsoft own the encryption on blu-rays. I think it's called VC-1 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yes but Microsoft own the encryption on blu-rays. I think it's called VC-1 if I remember correctly.

AVC-1. MS own the encryption due to originally being designed for HD-DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Would anyone know if there's a bit of leeway with returning a console to Gamestop that was bought just over 12 months ago?
    I bought the XB1X on release day which was the 7th Nov last year. The thing won't even boot up any more and I've probably only used it for 20 / 30 hours of gaming, mostly RDR2. Not a great sign for such little usage.
    It started showing signs for failure a few weeks ago with system error E105 errors and freezing / locking up.

I contacted MS about a repair but they said I would only have 30 days warranty or 3 months with Gamestop from purchase which didn't seen right. I tried to call Gamestop today but it's Mon-Fri hours and didn't get into the store today.

The console is only gone past its receipt date by about a week but just wondering are the likely to decline and refer me onto MS.

MS cancelled my repair request because they gave me a shipping label with an incorrect return address so I have to wait another few days before I can request again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Vorrtexx wrote: »
    Would anyone know if there's a bit of leeway with returning a console to Gamestop that was bought just over 12 months ago?
    I bought the XB1X on release day which was the 7th Nov last year. The thing won't even boot up any more and I've probably only used it for 20 / 30 hours of gaming, mostly RDR2. Not a great sign for such little usage.
    It started showing signs for failure a few weeks ago with system error E105 errors and freezing / locking up.

I contacted MS about a repair but they said I would only have 30 days warranty or 3 months with Gamestop from purchase which didn't seen right. I tried to call Gamestop today but it's Mon-Fri hours and didn't get into the store today.

The console is only gone past its receipt date by about a week but just wondering are the likely to decline and refer me onto MS.

MS cancelled my repair request because they gave me a shipping label with an incorrect return address so I have to wait another few days before I can request again.

It doesn't matter if the warranty is out, you still have rights. Pop into GameStop and ask for a repair or a replacement. You could also ask for a refund but they will probably push back hard on that. You bought the console from GameStop so do not have to deal with MS, unless that will be quicker or suits you better of course.

Thanks, yeah I wanted to pop in earlier today but didn't get a chance. I'd be happy for a repair/replacement from them if I can get it.
    Sending it through MS can take 2 - 4 weeks from what I read and I think you have to pay for shipping out of your own pocket too, to Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It doesn't matter if the warranty is out, you still have rights. Pop into GameStop and ask for a repair or a replacement. You could also ask for a refund but they will probably push back hard on that. You bought the console from GameStop so do not have to deal with MS, unless that will be quicker or suits you better of course.

Yeah, the bs from companies here wrt warranty is ridiculous. Got a Pixel C January 2017 from PC World in the UK, had to replace it under warranty August 2017 which in turn packed up last month. Got a refund and went with an iPad without any push back from the retailer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 yyt

Delighted to here they may be releasing a xbox thats diskless. Its the way of the future imo and is a clever way to keep the price of the next gen xbox competitive

Doesn't matter what companies tell you regarding a warranty. Under EU law there is a 2 year warranty on anything that is electronic. If it is faulty; under Irish law then a company has to repair or replace under the EU 2 year warranty. Stick to your guns you have a 2 year warranty!

If they still don't shift you can complain to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission and they can advise. If there has been adequate exchanges in contact between you and the company and it still doesn't get sorted you can take it to small claims. You have a statutory right of 6 years from the day of the complaint or disagreement with the company over who is liable for the repair of the faulty goods. 14 days is online goods fair exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Has anyone managed to get the Alexa integration working?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

This could possibly be how they'd get Gamestop on board. Gamestop could do the disc-to-digital transfer for you, they keep the disc and can resell it and then if that person wants to go digital then Gamestop could do the disc-to-digital transfer for them, keep the disc, resell it... Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd be very slow to give up a disc drive in my Xbox, don't get me wrong I love the concept of all-digital but console digital pricing is a joke, it's cheaper to buy a new release game in a retail shop then via digital on launch by a huge margin usually.

And then, you can also swap or trade the physical media once you're done, which further drives the cost significantly down. If a game's €55-60 to buy in most major retailers, and can get you a large chunk of that back via trade-in, it should be €45-50 via digital distribution at best....not €65-70.

I can't see disk-to-digital being anything other than a once-off. They'd hardly give Gamestop free license to sell the same single copy of a game infinite times without actually parting with the source disk.

• Advertisement

Just to update on my faulty Xbox one x. Gamestop took it back no problem earlier today and gave me out an new one within 10 minutes. All went quick and smooth with no hassle so happy with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement