Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone wall mounted their One X? Looking at putting it and my TV on the wall shortly but not sure what options are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Has anyone wall mounted their One X? Looking at putting it and my TV on the wall shortly but not sure what options are available?

Had a few put on standard shelves and some in a custom fixed shelving unit. You can get floating shelves for a tenner and custom Xbox holders for maybe 35

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Ingenious mount. You would not need to pay €30 for one though. Heavy duty string and some washers, screws and wall plugs.

Reckon you could get all that for under €8/9 in Woodies

Looks to be washing line string in that video the type for a rotary washing line. Think you can get 30m of that stuff for €5

Ingenious mount. You would not need to pay €30 for one though. Heavy duty string and some washers, screws and wall plugs.

Reckon you could get all that for under €8/9 in Woodies

Looks to be washing line string in that video the type for a rotary washing line. Think you can get 30m of that stuff for €5

It doesn't look the most sturdy though.

Came across this one which looks good as well but is expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077BPZ6HD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_s0A8BbQT19NKD

It doesn't look the most sturdy though.

Came across this one which looks good as well but is expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077BPZ6HD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_s0A8BbQT19NKD

Sturdy? It will be as sturdy as any mount. Not like you'll be hanging or pulling out of it.

• Advertisement

Sturdy? It will be as sturdy as any mount. Not like you'll be hanging or pulling out of it.

Sorry sturdy was probably the wrong word. It looks like the Xbox is a little loose at the top in the clip? Would you not be worried it might fall?

Sorry sturdy was probably the wrong word. It looks like the Xbox is a little loose at the top in the clip? Would you not be worried it might fall?

Thats angle its at from the washers. Its a tight fit.

Thats angle its at from the washers. Its a tight fit.

Ok that makes more sense. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jester77 wrote: »
    Nice, good for keeping costs down. No idea when I last bought physical media, couple of years ago at least.

Since I got xbox one x I decided to go full digital. I got spoiled by steam for years and now looking back. Xbox was ahead of its time at e3, before launch. Essentially always online was what steam was. Fully digital is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I said this before but I will say it again the Xbox always online was the way to go and I do not know why people got all up in arms when it was released over it.

And the mad thing is I have only ever used my Xbox One and then X when it was connected online and I'd say nearly everyone else who plays the Xbox is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I said this before but I will say it again the Xbox always online was the way to go and I do not know why people got all up in arms when it was released over it.

And the mad thing is I have only ever used my Xbox One and then X when it was connected online and I'd say nearly everyone else who plays the Xbox is the same.

It was innovative, unfortunately Microsoft made an absolute mess of selling it by releasing a lot of muddy information.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If it had of been Phil in charge at the time, it might have succeeded.

**** Don Mattrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Has anybody seen any decent deals on external hard drives? I am looking for a Seagate or Western Digital drive, 500GB would be fine for me, but judging by the prices I've come across, it's pretty much the same price for a 1TB?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

BDJW wrote:
    Has anybody seen any decent deals on external hard drives? I am looking for a Seagate or Western Digital drive, 500GB would be fine for me, but judging by the prices I've come across, it's pretty much the same price for a 1TB?

There's been very good deals on larger sizes recently. 4tb portable for 85 in Argos few weeks back. I'm sure there'll be similar or better deals on black Friday. How much you looking to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Largely because it came with kinect which, for the most part, people didn't want as it meant a fulltime microphone and camera in their house.

There was also the fact that people couldn't lend a game to their friends freely and that the 2nd hand game market would be hit.

Even if these are not options that people avail of, they're still options that some like to have. In one way there appeared to be solidarity with gamers with those who have useless or zero broadband.

That and people love to give out.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    There's been very good deals on larger sizes recently. 4tb portable for 85 in Argos few weeks back. I'm sure there'll be similar or better deals on black Friday. How much you looking to spend?

As little as possible to be honest! I’ve got a 500GB One S and it’s taken a long time to fill that, so just a 500GB external hard drive would probably do me so not looking to spend too much. From a very quick look today, it seems about 60 quid for a 1TB Seagate/Western Digitial is the norm

BDJW wrote: »
    As little as possible to be honest! I’ve got a 500GB One S and it’s taken a long time to fill that, so just a 500GB external hard drive would probably do me so not looking to spend too much. From a very quick look today, it seems about 60 quid for a 1TB Seagate/Western Digitial is the norm

You'll get about 6 games on that!

You'll get about 6 games on that!

Its taken me 2 years to fill up my Xbox. Games I have finished and won't play again get removed so I never use too much space

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its taken me 2 years to fill up my Xbox. Games I have finished and won't play again get removed so I never use too much space

would you not consider a solid state drive if space isn't your primary concern? you'll see a load time boost as well if you get one of them. There are Sandisk units on amazon for about 50 quid at the moment with the black friday deals, an enclosure can be got for less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm a lightweight gamer and my 500GB filled up after only 4 or 5 games. A 500GB external drive I don't think would be sufficient.

• Advertisement

would you not consider a solid state drive if space isn't your primary concern? you'll see a load time boost as well if you get one of them. There are Sandisk units on amazon for about 50 quid at the moment with the black friday deals, an enclosure can be got for less than a tenner.

A SSD is a good shout but I'm hoping to get somebody to buy it for me for Christmas so trying to keep costs down

Will have a 128GB SSD spare in next few days might see if that is possible Battlefield load times are a joke. Do you have any links for the enclosure? or the sandisk anyway. Being lazy!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Will have a 128GB SSD spare in next few days might see if that is possible Battlefield load times are a joke. Do you have any links for the enclosure? or the sandisk anyway. Being lazy!!

External hard drives need to be USB3 and at least 256GB in size, so your 128GB one won't work unfortunately.

CatInABox wrote: »
    External hard drives need to be USB3 and at least 256GB in size, so your 128GB one won't work unfortunately.

That sucks! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Since I got xbox one x I decided to go full digital. I got spoiled by steam for years and now looking back. Xbox was ahead of its time at e3, before launch. Essentially always online was what steam was. Fully digital is the way to go.

I agree. I had the PSP Go back then, I was sad it didn't work out. But I think it was more down to the cramped controls than to the lack of physical media.

My Switch has never had a cartridge in it. I love that I can buy a game on the way home on my phone and that it is waiting for me when I get in the door.

Hopefully console games go this way in the future, or at least 2 versions, one with drive and the other without. Having the drive makes little sense these days anyway as you basically have to download a huge update when you buy a game. Might as just download the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

My Switch has never had a cartridge in it. I love that I can buy a game on the way home on my phone and that it is waiting for me when I get in the door.

How are you doing this jester?
    Is it an app or a mobile website?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

marcbrophy wrote: »
    How are you doing this jester?
    Is it an app or a mobile website?

I just login to the Nintendo website and purchase through there. I have my paypal settings saved so it is a fast process.

There is a guy on Reddit that has a wishlist site setup and you get notified when a game goes on sale. A little dangerous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I agree. I had the PSP Go back then, I was sad it didn't work out. But I think it was more down to the cramped controls than to the lack of physical media.

Hopefully console games go this way in the future, or at least 2 versions, one with drive and the other without. Having the drive makes little sense these days anyway as you basically have to download a huge update when you buy a game. Might as just download the whole game.

Thats the thing. Pc gamers knew that system and for console users it was new. And lets be honest, console owners were majority. So **** kicked off on the always online system. It was a good few years ago and hopefully internet infrastructure got a lot better.
    So just maybe, if new xbox coming 2020, they could try it again? My xbox was never off-line and I am pretty sure a lot of people are like me, ( queue that one dude living in the mountains in the asshole of nowhere getting angry at me ), so idea of going to shop, buy physical copy, pop the fecker in, install it, then take out disc and put it on the shelf of glory as collection item is a god damn winner for me. Would make everyone happy?
    So many games in smyths or argos had really good prices, but I refused to buy then, because I hate swaping discs. In theory, brick and mortar shops would be more relevant with that system. As now they lost all sales from me in the last few years, then Microsoft and Sony got all of them.

Even if brick and mortar shops would sell cd keys in disc boxes, which in a lot of cases they are doing it already. The system would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

The last disc based game I bought was in the great Tesco clear out of 16. Everything else is digital. It helps that I gameshare but I could never go back to disc based gaming even if I was buying all the things. Hell, I haven't even put a Blu Ray movie in the drive on the X.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement