Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

my elite controller right stick has started to drift a tiny bit. Any one have a quick fix without having to take the thing apart. I did see a video on YT with a guy using rubbing alcohol to fix it and from the comments it seems to do the job. anyone any idea where you can get the equivalent to that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gmg678 wrote: »
    my elite controller right stick has started to drift a tiny bit. Any one have a quick fix without having to take the thing apart. I did see a video on YT with a guy using rubbing alcohol to fix it and from the comments it seems to do the job. anyone any idea where you can get the equivalent to that in Ireland.

any chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Anyone know where I'd pick up a replacement xbox one s white controller shell?

The pup went through mine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Anyone know where I'd pick up a replacement xbox one s white controller shell?

The pup went through mine

If its just the shell I would say you would be better just buying a new controller. By the time you find an OEM shell and pay for delivery you would have the cost of a new controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

If you don't mind unofficial, I'd go aliexpress

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    If you don't mind unofficial, I'd go aliexpress

True. Anyone ever tried unofficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone know the answer to this?

I'm using an xbox one controller to play on PC and I'm also using a play and charge kit.

If I plug in a dead controller into the xbox one, to charge, will it automatically pair to the xbox?

ZiabR wrote: »
    True. Anyone ever tried unofficial?

Not with xbox one - but 360 and PS4 yes I've bought from Ali a couple of times. Can buy shells along with torx tools for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer to this?

I'm using an xbox one controller to play on PC and I'm also using a play and charge kit.

If I plug in a dead controller into the xbox one, to charge, will it automatically pair to the xbox?

Yes, but you can plug it into the PC or wall socket to charge. Plugging it into an Xbox One is not required.

Yes, but you can plug it into the PC or wall socket to charge. Plugging it into an Xbox One is not required.

Thanks, just curious as a spare usb on my xbox is actually closer to me than one on my PC :)

I have been looking into things like the desktop charger linked below! Might be the solution that I need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GX3BKKW?pf_rd_p=71cb17e9-f468-4d3f-94d5-a0de44c50a7e&pf_rd_r=G5QGBMD08JZ6XG3SQR5X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

ZiabR wrote: »
    If its just the shell I would say you would be better just buying a new controller. By the time you find an OEM shell and pay for delivery you would have the cost of a new controller.

I was hoping you wouldnt say that. Dont want to buy a second hand one because hygiene etc.....

Every where is looking like the bones of 60 bucks :eek:

I was hoping you wouldnt say that. Dont want to buy a second hand one because hygiene etc.....

Every where is looking like the bones of 60 bucks :eek:

A standard black controller is €49 in Argos.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6199582.htm

I know it's not white, but it's a good price :)

• Where is the ill fated Crackdown 3 review?

Weird, seems as if there was an extension on the review embargo.

I think they are due on the 14th now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Where is the ill fated Crackdown 3 review?

Weird, seems as if there was an extension on the review embargo.

I don't think it was extended, I think metacritic just assumed a date, and was a little off. No other outfit has said it's changed. So long as the reviews are out before the game itself, then it's fair enough in my opinion, it's the ones that delay it until post launch that I'd worry about.

Besides, I don't think that Microsoft actually care too much about the score, they just want it out and done with, so they can move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

any chemist.

Ask for isopropyl alcohol

• CatInABox wrote: »
    I don't think it was extended, I think metacritic just assumed a date, and was a little off. No other outfit has said it's changed. So long as the reviews are out before the game itself, then it's fair enough in my opinion, it's the ones that delay it until post launch that I'd worry about.

Besides, I don't think that Microsoft actually care too much about the score, they just want it out and done with, so they can move on.

That's a bit of a cop out for them considering it's 5 years in the making.
    I was a fan of the first game. Looks like it's possibly another failed exclusive in all honesty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's a bit of a cop out for them considering it's 5 years in the making.
    I was a fan of the first game. Looks like it's possibly another failed exclusive in all honesty.

Not sure if it's a cop out or just realism. The last management team has many mistakes, and Crackdown 3 is one of them. At a certain point, you have to just release, and get back the development resources so we can make another game, even if it's a stinker.

I'll wait for the reviews, but I have Game Pass anyway, so I'll be playing it regardless.

• CatInABox wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a cop out or just realism. The last management team has many mistakes, and Crackdown 3 is one of them. At a certain point, you have to just release, and get back the development resources so we can make another game, even if it's a stinker.

I'll wait for the reviews, but I have Game Pass anyway, so I'll be playing it regardless.

That's it's saving grace realistically.
    It's defiantly worth a go in that regards.

CatInABox wrote: »

same,
    that being said, crackdown 1 wasn't any particular favourite of mine, it was grand for what it was, I just have no strong feelings on it either way. I'll have a look for sure, but highly unlikely I'll spend any meaningful amount of time on it.

• Advertisement

Yeah same. Crackdown 1 was fine, never played the second.

I have zero expectations for this game, will only give it a go cuz it's on gamepass.

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah same. Crackdown 1 was fine, never played the second.

I have zero expectations for this game, will only give it a go cuz it's on gamepass.

I don't think I will even give it a go on games pass. I could never get into Crackdown.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I am such an idiot.

Playing through RDR2 recently, my One X was sounding like a jet engine, so I decided to redo the thermal paste on the chip, as apparently Microsoft didn't do a great job with the Scorpio edition ones. While I was in there, I decide to upgrade to an SSD while I was at it. Everything went well, bit of hassle getting everything put back together, but that's par for the course when you open something like this.

Went through loading the OS on, everything going well, but the one weird part of the OS install is that the boot animation isn't carried over. You have to load the OS on before you can fix the animation, so you have to take the hard drive out again. It's at this point that I knew something was very, very wrong. The entire metal frame of the X was hot. Like, really, really hot. Cracked it open, and sure enough, there's the power connector for the fan, waving around like a lunatic.

I'm normally fastidious about reconnecting everything, still can't believe I missed out on it. There was a fair bit of faffing about with one part that didn't seem to go anywhere, so I must have reconnected it first, and then disconnected it to sort that part out again, and just forgot.

Everything seems to be going ok now...... but I've probably knocked a year or two off the lifespan of my X though.

If I wasn't OCD about getting the boot animation back, I probably would have launched a game, which would have really kicked the heat through the roof, and may possible have toasted the chip.

Just an update on this, my One X is totally silent now, so it was a successful operation

And yes, it's totally silent because the heat sink is working better, and not because I'd disconnected the fan :o

• Crackdown 3 getting slaughtered by critics :/

Crackdown 3 getting slaughtered by critics :/

not quite slaughtered, looks to be firmly in 50 - 60% territory. decidedly B or C tier effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

not quite slaughtered, looks to be firmly in 50 - 60% territory. decidedly B or C tier effort.

Getting a bit tired of this...

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Getting a bit tired of this...

of what?

MS Studios releasing half arsed stuff

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    MS Studios releasing half arsed stuff

ah fair enough. It did have the feel of something they had to follow through on, given the amount of time that went into it.
    Theres a very good article on polygon about it - the writer puts the theory out, that xbox exclusives could go the way of Netflix movies - as in, they're an average bonus to draw you into the gamepass ecosystem, but while you're there, you might find something else you like.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/14/18223861/crackdown-3-review-xbox-game-pass

• Advertisement

Cheers for the link man. Makes sense and is quite likely when presented.

It also has credence due to Sony's recent comment that they'll be pulling back on releases and doubling down on quality.

One company moves in one direction while the other moves in the other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement