Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Mate has an issue im hoping someone here can help me solve.

He bought a monitor from amazon for his young lads xbox one (OG)instead of a TV due to space rsetrictions. He bought a set of speakers to go with it as the monitor had no speakers. Problem is the monitor also has no 3.5mm jack and he didnt notice:(

I dont think the one has a 3.5mm jack on it?

So other than using headphones,not ideal as its an extra cost, or using some sort of adapter to strip the audio from the hdmi is there anything else anyone can think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

EoinHef wrote: »
    Mate has an issue im hoping someone here can help me solve.

He bought a monitor from amazon for his young lads xbox one (OG)instead of a TV due to space rsetrictions. He bought a set of speakers to go with it as the monitor had no speakers. Problem is the monitor also has no 3.5mm jack and he didnt notice:(

I dont think the one has a 3.5mm jack on it?

So other than using headphones,not ideal as its an extra cost, or using some sort of adapter to strip the audio from the hdmi is there anything else anyone can think of?

I used to use one of these below with my old Xbox One as I also used a monitor. It's so handy with a 3.5mm controller though which I now use but that device below is good as well it's just a lot tidier with the headphones plugged into controller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Toslink-Converter-Adapter-Optical-Black/dp/B00KNNSKV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514513231&sr=8-1&keywords=spdif+to+3.5mm

Cheers,that looks the job alright. Cant see any way of doing it other than something like that.

Was trying to avoid this route givin the extra cost so im going to tell him to message amazon and see what the policy would be on returning the monitor in exchange for another with a jack but cost of sending it back may make it not worth it.
    If not the prozor looks a good cost effective fix.

Poor lad has been playing all his new games with no audio since christmas day:(

Cheers,that looks the job alright. Cant see any way of doing it other than something like that.

Was trying to avoid this route givin the extra cost so im going to tell him to message amazon and see what the policy would be on returning the monitor in exchange for another with a jack but cost of sending it back may make it not worth it.

You can get them cheaper on ebay from China but you will be waiting for about 2-3 weeks for delivery which really isn't a option since the young lad wants to play. I see your location is Dublin. I wonder if you tried a B&M shop to see if they have any as it would be at least Friday or even the following Monday before you get one delivered from UK.

I'm in Mayo and you can have mine if you want. My mother is going to Dublin on Saturday and if you were to meet her at Heuston Station when she arrives to pick it up off her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Can he not just plug any set of headphones into his controller and he'll have sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm in Mayo and you can have mine if you want. My mother is going to Dublin on Saturday and if you were to meet her at Heuston Station when she arrives to pick it up off her.

Also, fair play, lovely gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

if he's going the return route hed be better off getting a tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is there a way to hide installed games from the games list of a family member? I thought it would automatically hide games outside of the age category of that family member but it just requests permission to play them.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is there a way to hide installed games from the games list of a family member? I thought it would automatically hide games outside of the age category of that family member but it just requests permission to play them.

I'm pretty sure you cannot do that. But I'm not 100% certain.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much,very nice gesture.

Sadly im heading off tomorrow for a few days and wont be back till the 3rd so wouldnt be able to make it saturday. Again thanks for the offer though.

Can he not just plug any set of headphones into his controller and he'll have sound?

His father said he hasnt got any,told him any phone ones should do for the moment to get him by till we get the issue sorted. If he cant find any ill give him a pair to tide him over.

Most likely go with the DAC at this point,seems to be the best option.

I'm pretty sure you cannot do that. But I'm not 100% certain.

That's the conclusion my googling brought me to. It's an odd omission I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

That's the conclusion my googling brought my to. It's an odd omission I think.

you can hide games from the install list. by hitting menu over the highlighted game and selecting hide from list

but I assume that it hides it from everybody

to download the game in the future you'd need to go to the game in the store

dunworth1 wrote: »
    you can hide games from the install list. by hitting menu over the highlighted game and selecting hide from list

but I assume that it hides it from everybody

to download the game in the future you'd need to go to the game in the store

Yeah, it's not a proper solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Happy New Year ladies & gents.

Love,

Misky x

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

I have an odd problem that maybe someone here can shed some light on.

I had Sonic Adventure downloaded on my One X. My son played it a bit and unlocked an achievement so I know I didnt imagine it.

One day it wouldn't launch. Kept asking me to insert disk. I uninstalled thinking that might help but the game didn't show up in my ready to install list.

If I go to it on the store the price comes up in dollars for some reason even though my location is set to Ireland.

Any ideas whats happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have an odd problem that maybe someone here can shed some light on.

I had Sonic Adventure downloaded on my One X. My son played it a bit and unlocked an achievement so I know I didnt imagine it.

One day it wouldn't launch. Kept asking me to insert disk. I uninstalled thinking that might help but the game didn't show up in my ready to install list.

If I go to it on the store the price comes up in dollars for some reason even though my location is set to Ireland.

Any ideas whats happening here?

Did you download a trial version of the game originally?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did you download a trial version of the game originally?

Didn't think so but I must have.

Didn't think so but I must have.

Log into Xbox.com and see what games you purchased if not there it was deffo a trial.

• Advertisement

Log into Xbox.com and see what games you purchased if not there it was deffo a trial.

It's not showing up there. Must be a trial. Didn't think achievement unlocked in the older trials.

The internet is drawing a blank, but is there any difference other than dimensions and appearance between a Western Digital Elements and a Western Digital Elements SE hard drive?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bad news for anyone looking for a Kinect adapter, they've been totally discontinued now. The Verge has more here. Most likely they only did one batch of them, and aren't going to waste money ordering a load more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The internet is drawing a blank, but is there any difference other than dimensions and appearance between a Western Digital Elements and a Western Digital Elements SE hard drive?

I took a quick look around, I can't see any real difference either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

CatInABox wrote: »
    Bad news for anyone looking for a Kinect adapter, they've been totally discontinued now. The Verge has more here. Most likely they only did one batch of them, and aren't going to waste money ordering a load more.

Some exorbitant prices being mentioned in that article. Seems like cornering the market on sourcing these adapters would be more lucrative than bitcoin investment, a few years ago.

Would people seriously have paid such silly prices for that adapter?? Madness :o

Quick question: Do USA download codes work on an Irish xbox?

Quick question: Do USA download codes work on an Irish xbox?

For Xbox One games, yes, for Xbox Live, no.

For Xbox One games, yes, for Xbox Live, no.
    Ok thanks. What do you mean by xbox live? Do you mean multiplayer won't work?

Ok thanks. What do you mean by xbox live? Do you mean multiplayer won't work?

No, you can get codes for Xbox Live from the US (or anywhere, really), but those codes won't work on anything other than a US (or relevant countries) account.

EDIT: Ah, I may have misunderstood. The multiplayer on Xbox must be paid for, it officially costs around €60, but can usually be gotten for around €40 from CDkeys. It also comes with 4 free games per month, called Games with Gold.

EDIT 2: I was totally wrong.

• Advertisement

No, you can get codes for Xbox Live from the US (or anywhere, really), but those codes won't work on anything other than a US (or relevant countries) account.

EDIT: Ah, I may have misunderstood. The multiplayer on Xbox must be paid for, it officially costs around €60, but can usually be gotten for around €40 from CDkeys. It also comes with 4 free games per month, called Games with Gold.

Ah ok. no sorry it's me who misunderstood. You mean Xbox live codes won't work, but game codes do. Sorry, still waking up!

Yes it's a game code from Amazon I'm wondering about. Thanks for the help!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement