Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

If.ypu snap a thumb stick off thats your fault.

If through Normal use controller has stick drift that is a common defect of the product and is covered by warranty.
    I know that the warranty covers it. His warranty has run out. So outside of that you have statutory rights to protect you against faulty goods deemed to be faulty at time of purchase, I.e a design flaw like the Nintendo Joy Cons. And it must be proven, which using the joy cons as an example there is overwhelming expert opinion detailing the design flaw causing the drift. Which took a guy in u.s to take legal action and start a class action lawsuit for us to get to this point and force Nintendo to dish out replacements worldwide before it's even got to court.

So this is the advice to the OP asking if there I'd a fix for his stick drift?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Stick drift issue is a well known issue with XB1 controllers since 2013.

Don't joke about that I haven't had the issue yet. Controllers are so bloody dear lol

Wait. Is there an argument going on about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Microsoft say its 12 months. So with that as a starting point please explain how someone gets a replacement outside of 12 months.

The reason I'm disagreeing is because I've tried it myself on a couple of occasions. Once in argos for a pair of headphones and another with microsoft for a broken 3.5mm jack on the controller. Both occasions I was refused.

So please rather than telling people it's the law which actually does not help their problem in anyway whatsoever, please explain how you get a free replacement without taking legal action to have this apparent law enforced.

I have since asked a barrister family member for his opinion and have been told that there are statutory rights which protect the consumers from faulty goods. This is for faults that exist at the time of purchase. The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and are determined by the seller. It is simply not true that there are statutory rights applied to warranties that determine the length of the warranty.

Maybe you pass this link onto your barrister family member as well as reading it yourself.
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm
    EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.

After-sale responsibilities/faulty products:

If the product you sold turns out to be faulty — or doesn't look or work as advertised — within the timeframe of the legal guarantee, you are responsible for this. In some countries this can also be the case if you are the manufacturer or importer.

Maybe you pass this link onto your barrister family member as well as reading it yourself.
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

You're confusing statutory rights with warranties. You really should stop giving legal advice.

This is a nice explanation:

https://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-issues-advisory-on-consumer-warranties-and-statutory-rights/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

We did not enact that. Our consumer law allows for a claim to be made within 6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I know I’m probably muddying the waters a bit but I have dealt with a few of the large electronic manufactures here before.

The easiest way to get service is through the warranty of course usually 12 months unless some extension purchased.

We do have consumer law here thankfully to cover defects, easier to claim for this within the 2 years but technically can bring a claim for it within 5 or 6 years(I think Ireland is 6 and UK 5 or vice versa)

But when claiming consumer law it is up to consumer to prove defect was at manufacturing if reporting issue after 6 months, usually this involves going to a repair please which is authorised by Microsoft or the manufacturer, filling up a consumer law claim, paying the repair place to check it and if they agree submitting to microsoft to get it repaired and money back for claim cost.

Now normally if within 2 years the big manufacturers like Microsoft or Apple etc would maybe check it themselves and repair it to avoid all that, but after 2 years with electronic goods, wear and tear can make it hard to claim that.

Also I think consumer law is through the place of purchase so the above applies if bought direct from Microsoft or Apple or whatever, if through a reseller then the claim is through them and more likely you have to go through claim process even within 2 years so often not worth it depending on the costs I suppose

You're confusing statutory rights with warranties. You really should stop giving legal advice.

This is a nice explanation:

https://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-issues-advisory-on-consumer-warranties-and-statutory-rights/

I'm not confusing statutory rights with warranties. As it explains pretty clearly in the link you gracefully provided statutory rights are 6 years by consumer law in Ireland which I already now about but thanks for the link. I never mentioned the number 6 in any previous posts or statutory rights.

I also haven't given any legal advise... I merely stated that the controller the OP mentioned is still under warranty, and btw that controller is 1 year old, guess what else there is 12 months in 1 year, so by your account it is also still under warranty, Go away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭in2dark

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Just to make it clear. I bought it from amazon germany during black Friday 2018.

So im just over one year with it. I will try to ask the customer service of amazon n see what they will say.

Im 99%sure they will say no. The controller was not mistreated at all! The issue starred about a month ago and since then it has deteriorated do much that it makes it junk.

Thanks again

I'm not confusing statutory rights with warranties. As it explains pretty clearly in the link you gracefully provided statutory rights are 6 years by consumer law in Ireland which I already now about but thanks for the link. I never mentioned the number 6 in any previous posts or statutory rights.

I also haven't given any legal advise... I merely stated that the controller the OP mentioned is still under warranty, and btw that controller is 1 year old, guess what else there is 12 months in 1 year, so by your account it is also still under warranty, Go away now.
    I'll take that as a thank you. You're welcome, I'm glad I was able to help you see the error in your advice.

Now I hope you'll stop spreading harmful misinformation on this topic.

in2dark wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

Just to make it clear. I bought it from amazon germany during black Friday 2018.

So im just over one year with it. I will try to ask the customer service of amazon n see what they will say.

Im 99%sure they will say no. The controller was not mistreated at all! The issue starred about a month ago and since then it has deteriorated do much that it makes it junk.

Thanks again
    Amazon are usually very good for returns. Some careful wording might help, if it was me I would make it sound like it was defective when you bought it which would entitle you to replacement outside of the warranty. Say something like it has always been sticky but after a few months the drift started and has gotten worse to the point it's now unusable.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭in2dark

Amazon are usually very good for returns. Some careful wording might help, if it was me I would make it sound like it was defective when you bought it which would entitle you to replacement outside of the warranty. Say something like it has always been sticky but after a few months the drift started and has gotten worse to the point it's now unusable.

Good luck!

I have NO WORDS

so i chatted them, they confirmed the warranty is two years.

They offered partial refund and keep it or full refund and return the whole lot.

I went for the first option.
    They gave me 50€, bought a new one for this money on their site and they offered free express delivery from amazon.de

As i said, thank you all and i have no words for amazon cs

in2dark wrote: »
    I have NO WORDS

They offered partial refund and keep it or full refund and return the whole lot.

I went for the first option.
    They gave me 50€, bought a new one for this money on their site and they offered free express delivery from amazon.de

As i said, thank you all and i have no words for amazon cs

Thanks for bringing the matter to a close. There is nothing worse than someone being toxic! Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks for bringing the matter to a close. There is nothing worse than someone being toxic! Glad you got it sorted.

Being passive aggressive and talking nonsense comes close.

Being passive aggressive and talking nonsense comes close.
    :confused:

:confused:

You stated there was a mandatory 2 year warranty on all electronic devices here, that is nonsense. We didn't enact that regulation. The poster you seem to be accusing of being toxic was correct.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Guys, I think this has gone on long enough. There are more suitable forums on boards if you want to continue the discussion.

Is there an end date to combining XBL and Gamepass into Ultimate? April or something I thought I read somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Live in Spain, just downloaded the new Call of Duty but I can only choose Spanish or Italian as a language.

Had a quick Google and this seems to only be a problem with Activision.

Every other game I buy online from the Spanish store is English as default.

Loads of people online have the same problem in different countries.

I’ve a Spanish account with a Spanish credit card etc, all of my games have been downloaded through the Spanish store.

Any ideas?

It baffles me that Activision won’t allow the language to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Live in Spain, just downloaded the new Call of Duty but I can only choose Spanish or Italian as a language.

I’ve a Spanish account with a Spanish credit card etc, all of my games have been downloaded through the Spanish store.

Any ideas?

It reminds me of playing Halo 2 on the original Xbox in French. Got it off some Canadian guy who moved to Ireland.

Hadn't a clue what was going on story wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

shuffles03 wrote: »

Any ideas?

You may already seen and tried this?

https://youtu.be/9ashQaAjyas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Got GTAV for 15 quid and Splinter Cell Conviction is backwards compatible too so no need for the 360 anymore. Into the attic with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Nal wrote: »
    Got GTAV for 15 quid and Splinter Cell Conviction is backwards compatible too so no need for the 360 anymore. Into the attic with it.

GTAV is in Game Pass now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

TitianGerm wrote: »

It is. It was added at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yeah and I bought it only two days before hand....just my luck:rolleyes:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Yeah and I bought it only two days before hand....just my luck:rolleyes:

As did I but I don't have the Game Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Anyone recommend a good wired Xbox controller for the PC? not looking to spend a fortune maybe €30 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone recommend a good wired Xbox controller for the PC? not looking to spend a fortune maybe €30 or so

Just plug your Xbox controller in with a micro USB cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

I got one of these before Christmas for PC/Xbox, perfectally fine.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8659381/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo%2Bgames%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox%2BOne%7C37328270/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328270%7CXbox%2BOne%2Bcontrollers%2Band%2Bsteering%7C37328807.htm

Just plug your Xbox controller in with a micro USB cable?

Yup. Plug and play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement