Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Hi, i bought an Xbox one for the lockdown, can someone please tell me if there's somewhere to buy digital games? I wanted to buy a game that's 24.99 in smyths but it's 54.99 on the Microsoft store. I'll just have to wait for delivery from smyths if not. Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mixed up wrote: »
    Hi, i bought an Xbox one for the lockdown, can someone please tell me if there's somewhere to buy digital games? I wanted to buy a game that's 24.99 in smyths but it's 54.99 on the Microsoft store. I'll just have to wait for delivery from smyths if not. Thanks for any help.

What was the game?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What was the game?

Wwe 2k20, it's actually 69.99 on the xbox store. I thought it would be cheaper to download games towards getting the physical disk but that's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Wwe 2k20, it's actually 69.99 on the xbox store. I thought it would be cheaper to download games towards getting the physical disk but that's crazy.

Avoid like the plague, if you need a WWE game get one of the earlier versions as 2K20 is a broken borderline unplayable mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I agree, I picked up 2k18 new from gamestop who delivered in 2 days.

10 quid, did the job.

Steer clear of 2k20, its klitchcity rather than suplex city

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The reveal is on on Thursday (7th) isn't it?

Yes, on the 7th, thanks. I've basically lost all track of time with this quarantine, it's the same day repeated over and over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I find that digital games are only really good value when they're on sale, to be honest.

You can find the latest weekly sale here, in the deals with gold section.

It's not related to a wrestling game, but Game Pass is a phenomenal service, incredible value. You can read more about how to get it dirt cheap in this post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, on the 7th, thanks. I've basically lost all track of time with this quarantine, it's the same day repeated over and over.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the replys, I'll think ill give 2k20 a miss after your replys, i checked reviews and it doesn't seem great, thanks for recommending game pass, i have that and i seriously can't believe how good it is.

I haven't played a gaming console in a few years and would have been playing on the PlayStation but after trying the xbox one and seeing how great the game pass I'm already considering getting the next xbox series x when it's released 😂

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks for the replys, I'll think ill give 2k20 a miss after your replys, i checked reviews and it doesn't seem great, thanks for recommending game pass, i have that and i seriously can't believe how good it is.

I haven't played a gaming console in a few years and would have been playing on the PlayStation but after trying the xbox one and seeing how great the game pass I'm already considering getting the next xbox series x when it's released ��

If you're looking for somewhere to buy digital games online again cdkeys can have decent pricing sometimes: https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live?%2Fxbox-live=&platforms=Xbox+One

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Does the One X go on sale often or have good deals. I'm thinking of getting one instead of the next gen machine for cost reasons, gamepass and most first party games being cross gen for a while. Would I be better off waiting until much closer the time and try get one second hand or pick up on a deal now if it is good enough. Currently have a PS4 but not it's not getting much love at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is it possible to purchase from the Xbox (UK) store using a code from cdkeys?

Reason for asking is my son is looking for XCOM 2 War of the Chosen, which has a nice 63% discount on cdkeys.com at the moment but it's for the UK.

Talisman wrote: »
    Is it possible to purchase from the Xbox (UK) store using a code from cdkeys?

Reason for asking is my son is looking for XCOM 2 War of the Chosen, which has a nice 63% discount on cdkeys.com at the moment but it's for the UK.

It should work on an Irish account, if it doesn't it will work if you switch the region on the console to UK before entering the code. Of course you will also need the base game as this is dlc.

It should work on an Irish account, if it doesn't it will work if you switch the region on the console to UK before entering the code. Of course you will also need the base game as this is dlc.
    Normally I just plug the code into the form on this page: https://redeem.microsoft.com/enter?ref=xboxcom

But today computer says NO.

Contact the seller to get a code that works in your region. This code was purchased in a different region and cannot be redeemed.

So further shenanigans are required. How do I switch the console region?

Normally I just plug the code into the form on this page: https://redeem.microsoft.com/enter?ref=xboxcom

But today computer says NO.

Contact the seller to get a code that works in your region. This code was purchased in a different region and cannot be redeemed.

So further shenanigans are required. How do I switch the console region?

It is in the settings on the console under Language and Location. Change region to UK and reset the console. Redeem code via the store app.

It is in the settings on the console under Language and Location. Change region to UK and reset the console. Redeem code via the store app.
    Are there any other precautions to take? Because I don't think Microsoft would take too kindly to people switching between regions willy nilly to avail of cheap games.

EDIT: Just checked on the Microsoft site and it would seem I will need to migrate my Microsoft account, switch the console region is the last step in a three step process.

https://support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/manage-account/update-microsoft-account-country-region

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Are there any other precautions to take? Because I don't think Microsoft would take too kindly to people switching between regions willy nilly to avail of cheap games.

no other precautions , but its often not as simple as just changing regions. - for example, you wont be able to buy from the digital marketplace of other countries, but redeeming codes is ok.

back in the early days of this generation, it was great, you could buy freely from singapore, brazil etc with no major hassle, resulting in a load of us generating a huge backlog of games for pennies. thats all essentially done away with now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

EDIT: Just checked on the Microsoft site and it would seem I will need to migrate my Microsoft account, switch the console region is the last step in a three step process.

https://support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/manage-account/update-microsoft-account-country-region

you're over thinking this, just go to the console and change the region like a previous poster said.

no other precautions , but its often not as simple as just changing regions. - for example, you wont be able to buy from the digital marketplace of other countries, but redeeming codes is ok.
    So I definitely don't have to migrate my account?

you're over thinking this, just go to the console and change the region like a previous poster said.
    Not over thinking it - just making sure I have all of the information. :)

There's about 100GB of updates in the pipeline so once they're done I'll switch the console region and reboot.

• Advertisement

back in the early days of this generation, it was great, you could buy freely from singapore, brazil etc with no major hassle, resulting in a load of us generating a huge backlog of games for pennies. thats all essentially done away with now unfortunately.

You can still buy from other regions as long as it is a region with gift cards, you will also need a valid address for that country for non free items. You can still get alternative Xbox One GwG this way if a game is changed. Quite a few got Zoo Tychoon from the Japanese store a few years ago.

They have buying from foreign stores fairly locked down now. They will use the country code on your credit card. You used to be able to put your credit card address in as your normal address and then Brazil or wherever as your country and a brazil post code. But now they check the issuing country on your credit card, it's not possible to get around it without having an actual credit card from that country.

Revolut etc was then an alternative now they can tell its Revolut and block it.

But for me, UK and ireland are the same region. I can buy from uk store with an irish credit card no issues. But I've heard it doesnt work for other people.

Long story short, it's all very complicated and I'd stick to your own region. Deals can still be had.

Got the same message when I tried to redeem the code on the console after switching the language and location to UK so it looks like I do in fact have to migrate my account to the UK in order to redeem the code.

Got the same message when I tried to redeem the code on the console after switching the language and location to UK so it looks like I do in fact have to migrate my account to the UK in order to redeem the code.

Get in contact with CDkeys and see about a refund or try to sell it on. Unusual that it wouldn't work via changing region on the console though.

Did you restart your console after changing region? It won't work if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Try using a VPN and redeeming it on xbox.com, I got a US game code last week and that was the only way I could get it to work without migrating the account.

Get in contact with CDkeys and see about a refund or try to sell it on. Unusual that it wouldn't work via changing region on the console though.

Yes I did.
    dor83 wrote: »
    Try using a VPN and redeeming it on xbox.com, I got a US game code last week and that was the only way I could get it to work without migrating the account.
    Tried that already but it didn't work.

In the end I had to jump through all the hoops to get the fecking thing done. My account is now configured for the UK, billing address is that of my Parcel Motel, payment details are Paypal for UK address. Still didn't work so I tried it again with the VPN and hey presto it finally worked.

512710.png

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

The same thing happened me not long ago. Bought the code for another region. Cdkeys just refunded as the code wasn’t redeemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I need to get a new xbox live membership, the cheapest I've seen is from a site called instant gaming. I've only ever used the Microsoft store or cd keys before. Has anyone used instant gaming before? Are they trustworthy?

markc1184 wrote: »
    I need to get a new xbox live membership, the cheapest I've seen is from a site called instant gaming. I've only ever used the Microsoft store or cd keys before. Has anyone used instant gaming before? Are they trustworthy?

Instant gaming are fine, used to be known as Press Start. I've used them multiple times for psn vouchers.

I would advise getting 24-30 months Gold and converting it to Game Pass Ultimate by buying 1 month of that after redeeming the Gold subs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

markc1184 wrote: »

There's a 12 month sub on CD keys for about €45
    https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360-eu-cd-key

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement