Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    It can still be done with the likes of cdkeys selling 12 month codes but it does seem like it's coming to an end once they run out of codes.
    yea xbox gonna end up more expensive than playstation in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob808 wrote: »
    yea xbox gonna end up more expensive than playstation in the long run.

We don't know what's going to happen. Microsoft might be doing away with Games With Gold and switching Live to a free service. Then have GamePass as their console Netflix offering and GP Ultimate as the top tier offering with console, PC and streaming service.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

How long do the 12 month codes on CDKeys last before you have to use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CatInABox wrote: »
    How long do the 12 month codes on CDKeys last before you have to use them?

2 years I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

2 years I think.

Wonder if it's worth buying a few now, and holding on to them until after my Ultimate runs out so I can do the upgrade deal. Suppose it depends on if they keep that deal around for people with spare codes.

• Advertisement

Wonder if it's worth buying a few now, and holding on to them until after my Ultimate runs out so I can do the upgrade deal. Suppose it depends on if they keep that deal around for people with spare codes.

Not sure. If Gold is discontinued as is rumoured they will probably convert to 4 months GPU.

Not sure. If Gold is discontinued as is rumoured they will probably convert to 4 months GPU.
    gold is still there just not 12 month only 1 month and 3 months.it still possible to get 12 month from retailers and third party while stocks last.

rob808 wrote: »
    gold is still there just not 12 month only 1 month and 3 months.it still possible to get 12 month from retailers and third party while stocks last.

1 & 3 month are still currently available, but it is rumoured that Gold is being scrapped with the Series X launch. We'll see closer to the time.

This makes the most sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

If I buy a code from cdkeys does anyone know how long I have to actually redeem it? Does it have to be fair me straight away or can I wait?

• Advertisement

If I buy a code from cdkeys does anyone know how long I have to actually redeem it? Does it have to be fair me straight away or can I wait?
    2 years I think.

I asked it above, and this sounds correct.

I asked it above, and this sounds correct.

Sorry should have re read the thread. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I don’t want a more expensive sub to play online. I don’t give a **** about xcloud - the only time I’d get to play is commuting and the signal is so bad ye can’t play YouTube. I don’t care about gamepass. I’m time poor and can only play at night with young kids etc and i play one game at a time.

If they’re gonna charge me €10/€12 pm just to play the games I own online I’ll be moving to the PS ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

quad_red wrote: »
    I don’t want a more expensive sub to play online. I don’t give a **** about xcloud - the only time I’d get to play is commuting and the signal is so bad ye can’t play YouTube. I don’t care about gamepass. I’m time poor and can only play at night with young kids etc and i play one game at a time.

If they’re gonna charge me €10/€12 pm just to play the games I own online I’ll be moving to the PS ecosystem.

Yep, same situation here! Would prefer to pay for games I want and have a low monthly sub to play online rather than a high sub with games I may not want that I won't get to use too often.

To be honest, MS haven't made many self inflicted errors recently, and I can't see them raising the price of online at all.

More likely, in my opinion, is that they'll remove Gold, and allow people to play online for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

i think the issue people now have is that they had a sweet deal with game pass, some paid around 120 for 3 years, now itll be 120 for a year. ( i personally have no problem with it because as a service it cant be beat at all)

On thursday we will get to see the fruits of the labour of the new MS studios all of which will be day one on gamepass.

Myself my cut off for ultimate is in 4 days hopefully i can get 2-3 years boxed off reasonably cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I've found myself drifting further and further from the Xbox eco-system too. GamePass doesn't appeal to me and having to pay for online multiplayer at a higher price (potentially) is another disincentive to get on board again in future.
    When I hear of 3rd party upcoming games I find myself leaning towards Stadia now rather than Xbox. Buy the game, play online against others at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've found myself drifting further and further from the Xbox eco-system too. GamePass doesn't appeal to me and having to pay for online multiplayer at a higher price (potentially) is another disincentive to get on board again in future.
    When I hear of 3rd party upcoming games I find myself leaning towards Stadia now rather than Xbox. Buy the game, play online against others at no extra cost.

good luck with that, mutiplayer in lots of stadia games is apparently a wasteland due to low player numbers.

The few games I've played have been cross-play enabled. Loads of players. But you're right, crossplay is by no means the standard yet so there is the gamble on that side.

Gamepass costs the price of 2 AAA games a year. Its a no brainer to me even if you are time limited.

The only problem is getting started, when starting on the service you've likely played everything you are interested in playing. Initially you'll be looking at playing games that on the surface dont appeal to you but once you start playing them you'll find quite a few games that are well worth it. Enough to warrant €120 a year without a doubt. Now throw in some decent 1st party games once MS get the finger out next gen and you'll have a Netflix type situation where you'll be fed enough content to warrant keeping the sub indefinitely.

You could continue to buy your 3rd party games on release and just use game pass for exclusives and the odd game you never got round to buying. Much the same as how many people use netflix.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up on cdkeys. I bought Xbox live codes from them today, assured me they were EU codes, redeemed them and they were US codes. Now I'm going back and forth between both support centres trying to sort it out.

Ah balls was hoping to us them on Friday when mine runs out.

Gamepass costs the price of 2 AAA games a year. Its a no brainer to me even if you are time limited.

The only problem is getting started, when starting on the service you've likely played everything you are interested in playing. Initially you'll be looking at playing games that on the surface dont appeal to you but once you start playing them you'll find quite a few games that are well worth it. Enough to warrant €120 a year without a doubt. Now throw in some decent 1st party games once MS get the finger out next gen and you'll have a Netflix type situation where you'll be fed enough content to warrant keeping the sub indefinitely.

You could continue to buy your 3rd party games on release and just use game pass for exclusives and the odd game you never got round to buying. Much the same as how many people use netflix.

The value for money with GamePass is fantastic. There's just nothing in it that interests me. Too expensive to pay for a service I've no interest in. I'd prefer and place more importance on 2 AAA games a year that I'm excited for. If an exclusive comes to GamePass that interests me I'll join for a month or two again to play it.

recyclops wrote: »
    Ah balls was hoping to us them on Friday when mine runs out.

So Cdkeys have replied to my support ticket and essentially said you redeemed the codes so tough. I can understand that to a degree but I bought something advertised as EU and it wasn't, it was US. They also confirmed to me that on their end those codes were EU. Don't think I'm gonna get anywhere with it but there is a work around by migrating my account to the US and upgrading to GPU on the US store and in 3 months migrate it back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

The value for money with GamePass is fantastic. There's just nothing in it that interests me. Too expensive to pay for a service I've no interest in. I'd prefer and place more importance on 2 AAA games a year that I'm excited for. If an exclusive comes to GamePass that interests me I'll join for a month or two again to play it.

Yea, I'm starting to think that way too. I think I've only played 3 games off GamePass. I'm finding it harder to justify it, as I'm not going to play games for the sake of it. Prefer to invest my time in games I want to play. Don't get me wrong, it is fantastic value, especially if you don't have a big library of games. But just find there is a lot of stuff listed on it I wouldn't play. Id actually prefer to wait for the publishers sales and pick up some of the Premium editions of games Id like and only buy the AAA titles Im interested in.

Luckily I had it for €1 on the initial signup deal for just over a year. when they converted the Gold account So it is only now renewing at the full monthly price.

I don't game on the PC, just Xbox, and am coming around to going back to a standard Gold account.

It will be interesting to see if they tweak it all when Series X launches, or they tie more things to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So Cdkeys have replied to my support ticket and essentially said you redeemed the codes so tough. I can understand that to a degree but I bought something advertised as EU and it wasn't, it was US. They also confirmed to me that on their end those codes were EU. Don't think I'm gonna get anywhere with it but there is a work around by migrating my account to the US and upgrading to GPU on the US store and in 3 months migrate it back to Ireland.

How did you redeem them if they don't work?

when you redeemed on the msstore did it just say 12 months gold or what, i may just take the hit and order mine from smyths

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had a cdkeys code redeem fine for me once but then my sub disappeared a week or two later. MS support sorted me out, the card was apparently Brazilian or something (no idea how it redeemed in the first place but it did). MS gave 3 months extra sub on top of the year and 40 euro store credit to spend as compensation for the inconvenience.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How did you redeem them if they don't work?

They do work but it's tied me to the US store if I want to upgrade to GPU. There is a workaround luckily but the MS support agent suggested I need to set up a US PayPal in order to buy the upgrade. It's just a pain to have to go through all the extra steps....first world problems I guess

• Advertisement

yea true think there gona make gamepass and gold together and that be the normal pack and ultimate being there high tier pack.

There rumours that xbox live mp will be free. I think it wishful thinking couldn't see Microsoft losing profit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement