Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Antivirus software for 2 pcs?

Options
  • 07-11-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where to get the cheapest/best antivirus software for 2 pcs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get the cheapest/best antivirus software for 2 pcs?

I like Norton. Using it for over 15 years+ and never had an issue with virus (touch wood). Current offers are €39.99 for up to 5 devices & 49.99 for up to 10 devices (pcs, laptops, phones, tablets etc.)
    http://buy-static.norton.com/norton/ps/bb/3up_ns1_ns_nsbu_ie_en_hybrid_notw_brnf.html?om_sem_cid=hho_sem_sy:ie:ggl:en:b|kw0000057486|230428213098|c&country=IE.

There are cheaper (but maybe you get what you pay for). I have friends in the IT trade who like to use cheaper or free products, but they have the expertise and time (?) to solve issues when they arise (I don't)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Been using 'free' avast for a long time, tis grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Sophos for home is free, it basically dives you full commercial protection as long as it is only used for home PC's/Laptops.

Great product too

https://home.sophos.com/?cmp=701j0000001eKoNAAU&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK-EN-SophosHome-Search&utm_content=search&utm_term=sophos%20home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Kaspersky on eBay brilliant av.

jca wrote: »
    Kaspersky on eBay brilliant av.

Just so you know Kaspersky is Russian company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Be aware of the Russians!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Kaspersky has a free version now. Kaspersky is just as vulnerable to misuse as any other AV software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Some people argue that you don't need an antivirus at all and Windows Defender + Malwarebytes (+ ad blockers) is all they use. That's grand for the techie, but I'd recommend checking out AV Test.

https://www.av-test.org/en/

They compare paid and free antivirus products across a range of Operating Systems.

EDIT: Just realised I was in Bargain Alerts! Cheap may not equal best when it comes to antivirus (caveat emptor and all that). But sure, the link above might help you make up your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

And???

jca wrote: »
    And???

Just letting peeps know is all, also have a look at this article and make up your own mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/23/kaspersky-lab-security-firm-win-trust-russian-spying-scandal-antivirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Lots of opinions

I wonder how organisations can provide these services for FREE - how does the financial model work? They may not wish to make profits, but they must incur costs.

I'll be sticking with Norton (less than €1 a week for cover on 10 x devices, seems good value to me). I'm sure there are better alternatives and the choice is yours.

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Lots of opinions

I wonder how organisations can provide these services for FREE - how does the financial model work? They may not wish to make profits, but they must incur costs.

I'll be sticking with Norton (less than €1 a week for cover on 10 x devices, seems good value to me). I'm sure there are better alternatives and the choice is yours.

Sophos offer the home version free and they claim it offers the same protection as their commercial offering. I guess they us the home version as an advertising tool.

I.e. somebody who works in IT might use this at home and when the next renewal date comes up in work for internet security they would at least consider sophos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i work in IT and to me, i think ESET is the best. It may be a bit dearer than others, but the product works so much better than most, if not all other AV and their support is excellent. If your not a tech person, spend the few extra quid and get a good AV. With all viruses going around these days, you need AV

I also work in IT as a system administrator (if we are going done that road).

If you are using Windows 10 it can be argued that windows defender is enough (that's free and is built in). Also Windows 10 forces you do regualar update which is a pain but is a good thing, if you look at all the major antivirus attacks over the last couple of years they have targeted older computers and computers that were not update.

Get your PC updated and Windows defender will be fine, if you want that little bit more security get Sophos for home (which is free) and keep your browsers up-to date and you will be fine, and all for free

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bitdefender or Kaspersky always seem to top the ratings. Both have free versions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

me_irl wrote: »
    Some people argue that you don't need an antivirus at all and Windows Defender + Malwarebytes (+ ad blockers) is all they use.

this is the option I use and doesn't cost a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

I picked up a nasty virus a few years ago. I tried all the brand name virus scanners and Malwarebytes was the only one that detected it and cleaned the laptop. That's all I use now - the free version. No issues in years. I keep getting annoying pop-ups to upgrade but I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I prefer just to uses windows built in software. All depends on how you use a PC. If you know what your doing. Free ones should be fine. AV can be very resource heavy. But would I let my Dad use a free one. No way 😜

Another option is to do all your surfing using a virtual PC. That’s what I do. Separate one for Torrenting to.

Advertisement