Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router with modem function (adsl)

Options
  • 07-11-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hey all
    Can't see proper folder/topic for such a modems question so Admins let me correct if I'm in wrong category. Looking to do some upgrade with my network so obviously I'm in need of new ADSL router. Which one would suits me with a total price of 60eu. I'm a Vodafone customer and was thinking about TP-LINK ARCHER VR600,   TP-Link Archer D2 AC750, ASUS DSL-N16, Netgear D6200-100PES, TP-LINK ARCHER VR400 or I need to have a look for some Zyxel, Linksys . Any tips?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As long as you're actually on ADSL and not VDSL("Fibre Powered") then any ADSL2+ unit will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

ED E wrote: »
    As long as you're actually on ADSL and not VDSL("Fibre Powered") then any ADSL2+ unit will work.
    Thanks for point me out. I think I'm on "Fibre Powered" thing as the download speed is up to 80MB/s.

Then the list is MUUUCH smaller. €60 probably isnt enough.

Have a read of this:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057632871

Then the list is MUUUCH smaller. €60 probably isnt enough.

Have a read of this:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057632871
    As you probably know I'm using Huawei HG659 which is basically piece of c..p for me. I think that I might still have somewhere Zyxell f1000, but can't be sure 100%. If I decide to go for ADSL+ instead of VDSL will I loose a lot as I can't spend more money for modem.

Thanks

Wont work. You'd have to cancel and order a new service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bridge the vodafone POS and then just use a half decent router (not modem/router) of your choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

This is the cheapest VDSL modem/router i've come across:
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEZ010573

davo2001 wrote: »
    Bridge the vodafone POS and then just use a half decent router (not modem/router) of your choosing.
    3 weeks ago when I decided to go for fiber option techy guy came in and on my old phone socket installed another socket which looks like upgrade of the older one.
    What you think about TP-Link TD-W9980 ? Is it vdsl ? Does do the job better than the Huawei's ??

That's a picture of the phone socket:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can you post a picture of it?

dil999 wrote: »
    This is the cheapest VDSL modem/router i've come across:
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEZ010573

I found few on ebay which are cheaper than on elara website, eg. Netgear DM200-100EUS .

• Advertisement

asgaard wrote: »
    3 weeks ago when I decided to go for fiber option techy guy came in and on my old phone socket installed another socket which looks like upgrade of the older one.
    What you think about TP-Link TD-W9980 ? Is it vdsl ? Does do the job better than the Huawei's ??

That's a picture of the phone socket:

That's just a standard Eir phone socket with DSL filter built in. just make sure you plug the modem directly into the socket with the picture of the PC (as you have already done)

I found few on ebay which are cheaper than on elara website, eg. Netgear DM200-100EUS .

Elara have them also, for €48, but they don't have an integrated switch. i.e. there is only one LAN port. If you are runniong a network you will need to purchase a 4 port switch, about €20

my advice, is don't go cheap on your routers. I have found cheap Netgears to be very unreliable. my advice would be to go for a Zyxel:
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEB775302

What's the issue with the Huawei. I know they are ugly to set up, but unless you are looking at VPN or QOS then it will do the job. It will definitely be as good as any sub €60 VDSL router.

Also make sure you have the admin password for the Vodafone router. you will generally find it online by googling "vodafone.ie" and the router name.

Be aware that not all models will necessarily support Huawei vectoring properly and thus will be unsuitable here. You need to test and return if not.

Be aware that not all models will necessarily support Huawei vectoring properly and thus will be unsuitable here. You need to test and return if not.
    I think that would be an extra question/new post for which vdsl modem will work with Vodafone Ireland. I found few very good on ebay with decent prices.

Elara have them also, for €48, but they don't have an integrated switch. i.e. there is only one LAN port. If you are runniong a network you will need to purchase a 4 port switch, about €20

my advice, is don't go cheap on your routers. I have found cheap Netgears to be very unreliable. my advice would be to go for a Zyxel:
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEB775302

What's the issue with the Huawei. I know they are ugly to set up, but unless you are looking at VPN or QOS then it will do the job. It will definitely be as good as any sub €60 VDSL router.

Also make sure you have the admin password for the Vodafone router. you will generally find it online by googling "vodafone.ie" and the router name.
    I'm using Cyber Ghost atm, but sometimes I came across with issuess like network speed going dooown or internet connection will be drop down, but that's a Vodafone fault, eg. it happened 3 times yesterday and probably in Vodafone they log the issues.
    i was thinkinking about something between TP-LINK, ASUS, LINKSYS, but Zyxel would be worth of try as I had it before.

I think that would be an extra question/new post for which vdsl modem will work with Vodafone Ireland. I found few very good on ebay with decent prices.

Nothing to do with Vodafone, its the same standard for all providers renting out VDSL ports.

Nothing to do with Vodafone, its the same standard for all providers renting out VDSL ports.

As Per ED E's advice. If the modem doesn't support vectoring it won't work for any provider. The newer Zyxels do.

As Per ED E's advice. If the modem doesn't support vectoring it won't work for any provider. The newer Zyxels do.
    Can you describe which of those modems are support vectoring or would it be stated in the description/specification?

Can you describe which of those modems are support vectoring or would it be stated in the description/specification?

I am not 100% sure, but I believe it needs to support ITU-T G.993.5, which should be in the spec somewhere.

If its in the spec it MIGHT work. If its not in the spec it definitely wont. You need to purchase from somewhere you can return easily if it doesnt.

As you're on a budget, get a basic cable router, bridge the Huawei and go from there. Two boxes instead of one, but cheaper.

• Advertisement

If its in the spec it MIGHT work. If its not in the spec it definitely wont. You need to purchase from somewhere you can return easily if it doesnt.

As you're on a budget, get a basic cable router, bridge the Huawei and go from there. Two boxes instead of one, but cheaper.

I have at home lying on the shelf TP-LINK N600 (TL-WDR3600) but I can't get to section with settings through the 192.168.1.1 address as it belongs to Huawei. I read that I can change the address in modem itself, but didn't try it, yet.

I have at home lying on the shelf TP-LINK N600 (TL-WDR3600) but I can't get to section with settings through the 192.168.1.1 address as it belongs to Huawei. I read that I can change the address in modem itself, but didn't try it, yet.

I think you are starting form a point that requires a bit more personal research. There are plenty of sites out there on networking, and if you have a few spare routers, you can play around with them to get a better understanding. Best of luck

What you reckon lads about the latest firmware for Huawei HG659 ? It seems pretty unreliable http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/Broadband-services/Firmware-update-for-Vodafone-wireless-modem-HG659/td-p/211611 .

What you think about Thomson tg799vn lads, will it be enough/work with my Vodafone upgrade ?

Advertisement