Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most comfortable bike you've ever owned, and what height are you?

• 07-11-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just bought a bike with the head r1200r, which puts my harley sportster to shame in every dept, so I'm going to trade it. Someone told me you should buy one bike with the head, and one with the heart. I'd like a comfy one though. An xdiavel would be a possibility, but they scare the hell out of me. Thinking of a cruiser. Anyone any ideas/advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What are you scared of?.. The only thing which should scare you about a bike is mechanical/reliability issues.

Try THIS SITE to see what frame/bike size might fit you best.. Things like seats, grips, pegs etc can all be replaced to suit an individuals requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭flatty

Too quick. It's easy enough to overcook on a chugging bike.

flatty wrote: »

There's an old saying 'The throttle goes both ways'.

But if you're not confident I guess its best to err on the side of caution like you're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What are you scared of?.. The only thing which should scare you about a bike is mechanical/reliability issues.

Try THIS SITE to see what frame/bike size might fit you best.. Things like seats, grips, pegs etc can all be replaced to suit an individuals requirements.

I've actually based bike purchases on that site, well not entirely but it made decisions a lot easier.

I'm going back to a BMW 1200GSA in the new year because for my frame its the perfect size and the ergos are simply perfect. Its not exactly going to light your soul on fire like a Diavel but at least you're (more) likely to get home.

There's an old saying 'The throttle goes both ways'.

But if you're not confident I guess its best to err on the side of caution like you're doing.
    My old instructor always used to say "the throttle is just volume control". I'm not sure I entirely buy that though.

• Advertisement

My old instructor always used to say "the throttle is just volume control". I'm not sure I entirely buy that though.

Well thats certainly the case on a Harley !! :pac:

Same thing I'm saying really.

But you're right to err on the side of caution too. No point riding faster than your guardian angel can fly!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

D3V!L wrote: »
    I've actually based bike purchases on that site, well not entirely but it made decisions a lot easier.

I'm going back to a BMW 1200GSA in the new year because for my frame its the perfect size and the ergos are simply perfect. Its not exactly going to light your soul on fire like a Diavel but at least you're (more) likely to get home.

I'd go with the 1200GSA too. The seating position is great. Along with the good screen and tank to deflect the wind, easy to stand up if you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Its not exactly going to light your soul on fire like a Diavel

IIRC a poster here nearly had their soul and their everything else lit on fire by a Diavel!

Scrap the cap!

IIRC a poster here nearly had their soul and their everything else lit on fire by a Diavel!

Fire you say ? No way !! :pac:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well thats certainly the case on a Harley !! :pac:

...which is why I dumped the Screamin Eagle pipes on my Road King. ....and got bog-stock quiet ones. Bliss.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

The 1290 Superduke I have now - no bother doing 500/600km spins regularly and would handily manage more. The other KTMs I have had weren’t quite as good and the rest have been sportsbikes. The best of these was a k1 gsxr600 which was like a quick sofa

I'm 6'2 and ride a k1300s. All day comfort but it would be better if I could drop the pegs down an inch or so without having to shell out a few hundred on the bmw adjustable rearsets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

R1200GS/A all day long, only way it wouldn't be comfortable is if you were 4 foot nothing and had to start it like this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Burgman 400,Im 6 feet 1 tyall and its as comfy as fcuk,and I aint joking

Burgman 400,Im 6 feet 1 tyall and its as comfy as fcuk,and I aint joking

I'd really like one of them myself for my commute.

I'd really like one of them myself for my commute.

They are a grand yoke to go,really nippy on the motorway,super easy to work on,cheap to run and lots of storage space underneath.
    Storage space for helmet,gloves,bike gear and a backpack too.

Just had mine serviced and new tyres from Cotters.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The important question - how many 500mL cans of beer does the storage hold?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Luggage rack or passenger seat :cool:

a slab of dutch goooooold.:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I'm 175cm and the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden was a Blackbird, Transalp comes a close second , I'm rebuilding a 1977 Z1000 at the moment and just sitting on it i reckon that's going to be comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

by far the most comfortable,reliable & most economical bike I ever had was a '99 KAWASAKI GT 550. (bought it new) I am 5' 11''
    in my time I had a lot of different makes & models of bikes ie moto guzzi, Honda, bmw etc.
    tony

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Realgonekid

Current bike is the most comfortable. Mainly because the bikes before were either naked (no wind protection) or Sportsbikes (Arse up and knees by your ears) Now I'm the wrong side of 40 and not as nimble as before.

I'm 5'11 and ride a 2017 S1000XR. It still has the go required to have fun but all the toys to make the longer trips more enjoyable.

I'm 5'11 and ride a 2017 S1000XR. It still has the go required to have fun but all the toys to make the longer trips more enjoyable.

I nearly bought one last year, they're some machine but at 6ft4 the GSA was a nicer fit. I only wish they'd do something in-between the two. The comfort of the GSA and the power other XR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

like a gs with the k1600 engine super charged

like a gs with the k1600 engine super charged

JAYSUS F*CKING CHRIST YES !!

takemymoney.jpg

I'm contemplating this :
    https://goo.gl/images/fBD9Pi

Honda F6C review - Telegraph
    www.telegraph.co.uk › ... › Honda

Sorry, I can't upload an image or get a link to work, but looking at a 2016 honda f6c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Yamaha Virago XV750. 5'8"

Advertisement