Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Well done today, and good to meet you too. That wind on the canal was stronger than I expected aswell!
    I reckon if you took a weeks taper you'd definitely bag a sub 90 HM when you target it. Hitting that pace on your current schedule is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yeah I get your point. Though 69:59 would have been easier :)

It's not supposed to be easy! Well done on digging in when the going got tough and on the PB. No doubt, with a bit of a taper, you'll hit your goal at the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It's not supposed to be easy! Well done on digging in when the going got tough and on the PB. No doubt, with a bit of a taper, you'll hit your goal at the half.

Thanks! Appreciate the congrats. Not in Ratoath though...looking at 1:32, 33 for that. Bohermeen next March is already looking like my sub 90 goal race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Congrats again Sean. A great time regardless, but it really is impressive without a taper.

Congrats again Sean. A great time regardless, but it really is impressive without a taper.

Thanks A. I just have this strange hollow feeling that just won't go away. 😖

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Brilliant running and great report S! Feeling it but still pushing on... that's gonna be a race you look back on with a lot of pride! Well done, you deserve every second of that PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great time Sean keeping up he impressive run (pardon the pun) that you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play, Sean, well done. Sometimes you have to grind out a result and you certainly showed a lot of grit out there! Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's a fantastic result S. And that's a great effort over ten miles. I know all about racing in the middle of training. It'll stand to you don't worry. If it really is a key race for you then you'd probably have a bit more of a taper. Nothing wrong with getting through a tough race on tired legs. Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's all been said S... brilliant racing, you showed true grit, you star is shining bright at the moment - enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Brilliant as always Sean and even more amazing that you did it with no taper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's a hell of a performance S, and the result to reflect it. Well done! Hope you're still smiling from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I've had a busy few days reading your log. You have made some progress.

Well done and congratulations on the 10 mile PB.

Thanks all for your very kind comments. I don't know why but I just didn't feel the love for my run and was left with a headful of questions. Getting my head around it now :pac:

20th-26th August

Monday 20th:
    Rest Day

Tuesday 21st: 7.2 very easy miles around local roads and parks at an average of 9:33 per mile. I met Ultrawoman after a couple of miles and had a nice chat until we went our different ways. The amount of running she does never ceases to amaze me.

Wednesday 22nd: Session day. Plan had 40 mins @ tempo (4:20-4:27 per km). This felt nice and comfortable at an average pace of 4:24. Warmup and cooldown brought the mileage to 7.8

Thursday 23rd: More very easy miles to add to my burgeoning collection of handy runs. 7.2 of them at 9:19 this time again around local roads and parks.

Friday 24th: I had my car in for a service so took the opportunity to run over to Cherry Orchard to collect it. The singers were rehearsing at the Papal Cross in preparation for Sunday's ceremony. The little climb from Chapelizod to Ballyfermot was a wee steep bugger! :eek: Nice little 8.4 miles @ 9:04

Saturday 25th: A 60 minute moderate pace run (4:50-4:58 per km) was on the plan and duly delivered at a slightly too fast but very evenly paced 4:47 per km. I felt really good throughout, a nice little blowout.

Sunday 26th: Plan had down a 2 hour 15 minute LSR but I had decided to do a 20 miler instead. The main reason for this was that the plan doesn't have a long run included next week and I'll be doing the Ratoath Half the following week. I didn't want to get to mid September with only one 19 mile run above the numerous 14/15's I have done. With the PP out of commission I decided to run 10 miles to Howth before turning back. The morning couldn't have been much worse weather wise with heavy rain for every step of the 3hrs and 11 minutes. The first 6 miles down to the Howth Road were grand but when I left the shelter and hit the coast road the wind was savage, blowing in off the bay. It stayed in my face up to Sutton Cross where I turned right for a bit of uphill work. I felt strong and didn't drop the pace much over the next couple of miles. I got to my target 10 miles about 1300 metres from the summit and decided it would be rude not to go to the top. The return trip was easier to start with a nice downhill and downwind few miles. Finished with a slightly faster mile ...just to get to the shower faster! :pac: Because of the little bit added the run ended up at 21.7 miles at 8:46 pace.
    I got a bit of a shock when I got in to see a blood stain through my rain jacket...my first ever bleeding nipple :eek: Turns out there were one or two more areas of chaffing despite the fact I used Body Glide. Hardly surprising with me being soaked to the bone. Despite this and the weather I really enjoyed the run, good miles banked for sure. First time to bring any sustenance on a run this year, namely an SIS gel which I took at 8 miles and 3 deliciously sweet and sticky medjool dates which I scoffed at mile 15. Hydration was before the run and a couple of bottles of Yazoo chocolate milk afterwards.

All in all it was a good week, happy with it.

Sorry that a couple of sessions are in km but Strava won't show me laps or maps at the moment so I'm using Garmin Connect which I have set up in km to see paces for splits and sessions.

Weekly Miles: 62.5
    Monthly Miles: 203.4
    YTD Miles: 1624

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

20th-26th August

Monday 20th:
    Rest Day

Tuesday 21st: 7.2 very easy miles around local roads and parks at an average of 9:33 per mile. I met Ultrawoman after a couple of miles and had a nice chat until we went our different ways. The amount of running she does never ceases to amaze me.

Wednesday 22nd: Session day. Plan had 40 mins @ tempo (4:20-4:27 per km). This felt nice and comfortable at an average pace of 4:24. Warmup and cooldown brought the mileage to 7.8

Thursday 23rd: More very easy miles to add to my burgeoning collection of handy runs. 7.2 of them at 9:19 this time again around local roads and parks.

Friday 24th: I had my car in for a service so took the opportunity to run over to Cherry Orchard to collect it. The singers were rehearsing at the Papal Cross in preparation for Sunday's ceremony. The little climb from Chapelizod to Ballyfermot was a wee steep bugger! :eek: Nice little 8.4 miles @ 9:04

Saturday 25th: A 60 minute moderate pace run (4:50-4:58 per km) was on the plan and duly delivered at a slightly too fast but very evenly paced 4:47 per km. I felt really good throughout, a nice little blowout.

Sunday 26th: Plan had down a 2 hour 15 minute LSR but I had decided to do a 20 miler instead. The main reason for this was that the plan doesn't have a long run included next week and I'll be doing the Ratoath Half the following week. I didn't want to get to mid September with only one 19 mile run above the numerous 14/15's I have done. With the PP out of commission I decided to run 10 miles to Howth before turning back. The morning couldn't have been much worse weather wise with heavy rain for every step of the 3hrs and 11 minutes. The first 6 miles down to the Howth Road were grand but when I left the shelter and hit the coast road the wind was savage, blowing in off the bay. It stayed in my face up to Sutton Cross where I turned right for a bit of uphill work. I felt strong on didn't drop the pace much over the next couple of miles. I got to my target 10 miles about 1300 metres from the summit and decided it would be rude not to go to the top. The return trip was easier to start with a nice downhill and downwind few miles. Finished with a slightly faster mile ...just to get to the shower faster! :pac: Because of the little bit added the run ended up at 21.7 miles at 8:46 pace.
    I got a bit of a shock when I got in to see a blood stain through my rain jacket...my first ever bleeding nipple :eek: Turns out there were one or two more areas of chaffing despite the fact I used Body Glide. Hardly surprising with me being soaked to the bone. Despite this and the weather I really enjoyed the run, good miles banked for sure.

All in all it was a good week, happy with it for sure.

Sorry that a couple of sessions are in km but Strava won't show me laps or maps at the moment so I'm using Garmin Connect which I have set up in km to see paces for splits and sessions.

Weekly Miles: 62.5
    Monthly Miles: 203.4
    YTD Miles: 1624

I really enjoy reading about the incredible mileage you are covering! Your experience from this morning's run is exactly the kind of stuff that spurs me on even more!

coogy wrote: »
    I really enjoy reading about the incredible mileage you are covering! Your experience from this morning's run is exactly the kind of stuff that spurs me on even more!

Thanks K. There are times when the amount of very easy runs I do doesn't make for great reading. There are no tales of PBs being broken in training ever likely to appear on my log! :pac:

Epic running again S.
    Any thoughts on tape rather than bodyglide?

Epic running again S.
    Any thoughts on tape rather than bodyglide?

I'd need a shave first and I'm really not the metrosexual type!! ;-/

I'd need a shave first and I'm really not the metrosexual type!! ;-/

Ah, it was a leading question as I've been looking for alternatives myself. I've seen some recommendations of micropore tape and even trimming the hair rather than shaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

what a great week and your Long run this morning remind me of one of ours from training last year rain from start to finish :D good memories all though I do remember it being a tough run half on trail and then half on road.

slight tut tut to having no water on such a long run ;):D

Baby75 wrote: »
    what a great week and your Long run this morning remind me of one of ours from training last year rain from start to finish :D good memories all though I do remember it being a tough run half on trail and then half on road.

slight tut tut to having no water on such a long run ;):D

Water is for wimps! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Water is for wimps! :pac:

:cool:;):D say that to a great white:D

Baby75 wrote: »
    :cool:;):D say that to a great white:D

I will if he calls to the house! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah, it was a leading question as I've been looking for alternatives myself. I've seen some recommendations of micropore tape and even trimming the hair rather than shaving.

Tape always peels off me, and the one time I splashed out on pricey Bodyglide I lost it after a week. I like to follow the Keep It Simple rule in all aspects of life, so Vaseline it is. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Funny that Sean, last week was the first time I've ever had 'nipple' issues too

I'm tired just reading about your week! Stellar, as usual. :)
    It must be worlds apart for you training for DCM this year compared with last year, in terms of confidence. Or do the goalposts just keep shifting...
    To everyone struggling with tape/bodyglide/anti-chafing measures - a good sports bra works wonders :p

eyrie wrote: »
    I'm tired just reading about your week! Stellar, as usual. :)
    It must be worlds apart for you training for DCM this year compared with last year, in terms of confidence. Or do the goalposts just keep shifting...
    To everyone struggling with tape/bodyglide/anti-chafing measures - a good sports bra works wonders :p

You could say the goalposts have shifted alright. The problem now is too many goalposts! Last year the main thing was the main thing. This year I just don't feel it as much. I kinda resent it because it means I can't race the next BHAA race the way I'd like it so I will give it is miss. I won't be able to get the most out of myself in Ratoath either. Yet the feeling isn't strong enough to let me skip marathon training to do my best at other races. To say I'm seriously conflicted right now would be an understatement! Haha.

I'll take note of the sports bra. It might come in handy if I do next year's mini marathon in drag!!

I get what you mean alright - too many possibilities but you can't pursue them all at the same time. On the bright side you can't go wrong either. It's all going to be good training that will help overall, and then you can move on to something totally different next. Not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know in spades... But if nothing else it'll be fun following along with your adventures so it makes for good reading :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

You could say the goalposts have shifted alright. The problem now is too many goalposts! Last year the main thing was the main thing. This year I just don't feel it as much. I kinda resent it because it means I can't race the next BHAA race the way I'd like it so I will give it is miss. I won't be able to get the most out of myself in Ratoath either. Yet the feeling isn't strong enough to let me skip marathon training to do my best at other races. To say I'm seriously conflicted right now would be an understatement! Haha.

I'll take note of the sports bra. It might come in handy if I do next year's mini marathon in drag!!

I can identify with this feeling 100%. I don't have any answers to make it easier except that it's only another 9 weeks and then you have your pick of races again and all the races that you're not giving your best too will still be there next year along with loads of other races. Imagine if you were missing these races through injury or for any other less desirable reason than because you're too busy clocking up 60-70 mile weeks marathon training ;)

Advertisement