Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'd need a shave first and I'm really not the metrosexual type!! ;-/
    Ah, it was a leading question as I've been looking for alternatives myself. I've seen some recommendations of micropore tape and even trimming the hair rather than shaving.

Hypafix tape lads, a roll of that stuff is the business! Comes off easily in the shower afterwards without taking 1001 hairs with it (or the pain that goes with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Monday 27th: Rest Day

Tuesday 28th: Cant remember this one too much. Just more very easy stuff thrown into the ledger. 8.2 miles @ 9:08

Wednesday 29th: Session day. This one went a bit wrong. I got up before realising I hadn't enough time to do the session. I decided that as I was up I'd go out for a few gentle miles anyway and defer the session until evening. I did 4.1 miles @ 9:19. I went to Marlay Park that evening for my 3 x 10 mins threshold (6:39-6:49) and did it on the lap in front of the house. First rep was at 6:42 and the subsequent 2 reps were a bit faster than planned but the effort felt right, (6:38 and 6:32).

Thursday 30th: Marlay Park mostly and a lap of Endas Park as well. A 10 mile run but not paced very evenly. Ended up being a 9:49 average but that was 3 miles on my own at my usual paces, 3 miles with someone doing 11 minute/ mile recovery run and then 4 again alone at normal pace.

Friday 31st: 90 mins easy around the local roads. 10.2 miles @ 8:56

Saturday 1st: 90 mins easy again. I decided I'd throw Poppintee Parkrun into the middle of this and to just do it at moderate pace. The Parkrun was great. After a couple of Kms I got chatting to a man out pacing his early teens daughter to try to get a PB to beat her 23:45. This pace was perfect moderate pace for me so I stayed with them. The girl was ever so tough. She was blowing hard all the way and really fighting. I joined in with encouraging her and stayed behind them to the finish. So close! 23:45 again!! A few very easy cooldown miles to get up to the 10 for the morning.

Sunday 2nd: What a busy day!! First things first, I had to get my run done. Plan had a 75 minute run at moderate pace. As my moderate pace is 7:46-8:01 I decided to change it slightly to 10 miles. Up to now I had been setting runs like this on my watch in one block. It meant however that pace changes late in the run did not affect the average too much and meant pacing was difficult. For this one I broke it into 5 consecutive two mile workouts with the last 3 to be speeding up by a few seconds. I did a 2 mile warmup before getting down to it. The first two 2 mile blocks out around Airside were at 8 minute pace, nice and comfortable. The next 3 segments were out and back some of the FD10 route where preparations for water stations were in full flow. Segments 3 and 4 were bang on plan at 7:47 and 7:39 but I had a bit of a brain fart and ran the last bit at 7:08 :o I was wrecked. Time for a carton of chocolate milk, a change of tshirt and then back into Swords Main Street to meet a few of the novices group.

It was nice to briefly meet Huzzah, Kittyclaws, Dealerz, Gypsylee and Juke before the start. I then jogged out to the water station at 2.5 miles to get a vantage point to give a shout to anyone I knew. Plenty of Boardsies passed...AMK, MurphD, aquinn (I only know that from D's race report :pac:), Omeceron, Lazare, Damo, TBO, Rossi, ReeReeG, Applegirl and the 5 from earlier. I got a few other shouts but for the life of me I had no idea who they were from!!

Thanks to the shape of the course a short 1k jog brought me back to the 9 mile mark where I got to see most go through before walking back in to Swords. The speed of Scullion coming down the hill at the point :eek:

Then it was home, quick shower, dinner and down to the pub to get a good seat for the match. I have to admit to a mild panic attack and feeling of impending doom after 18 minutes of the game but thankfully the best Gaelic football team ever quickly took control. Far far too many pints were consumed before, during and after the match which led to some stupid drunken texting later in the evening (more on this later :().

Weeks miles: 64
    August miles: 243
    September miles: 25
    YTD miles: 1687

So to today, 2 days before the Ratoath Half. One of the next arbitrary round number targets I have is a sub 1:30 half marathon. My PB from Bohermeen is 1:34:12. I used the Kilcock 10 mile to see how long I could hold the required pace. I did it...for 10 miles....and not one step further could I have gone. So a quick bit of revision had me think I'd aim for a low to mid 1:31 in Ratoath. Eminently sensible I thought. :pac: Now back to that drunken texting...two of the grads had also been thinking of similar times for it, post match bravado took over and next thing we have agreed to going with the 1:30 pacers!!! :D

Monday mornings sobriety brought me back to my senses. Time to back out of this madness. The best of intentions and all that...long story short I have been cajoled, bullied, pressured, slagged off, accused of sandbagging :pac: and had my manhood questioned! :D So it's back on. I see this only ending in one way for me...pain! I keep getting images in my head that just won't go away. They're from Ireland's Fittest Family. There is a challenge on that called Hang Tough where family members hang suspended over an icy cold river and hold on for as long as they can before the inevitable plunge into the dark abyss below! Ratoath is shaping up to being my personal Hang Tough!! :eek: The only question is at what mile will I drop :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super mileage - that level of consistency will see you improve in leaps and bounds in the coming months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

So to today, 2 days before the Ratoath Half. One of the next arbitrary round number targets I have is a sub 1:30 half marathon. My PB from Bohermeen is 1:34:12. I used the Kilcock 10 mile to see how long I could hold the required pace. I did it...for 10 miles....and not one step further could I have gone. So a quick bit of revision had me think I'd aim for a low to mid 1:31 in Ratoath. Eminently sensible I thought. :pac: Now back to that drunken texting...two of the grads had also been thinking of similar times for it, post match bravado took over and next thing we have agreed to going with the 1:30 pacers!!! :D

Monday mornings sobriety brought me back to my senses. Time to back out of this madness. The best of intentions and all that...long story short I have been cajoled, bullied, pressured, slagged off, accused of sandbagging :pac: and had my manhood questioned! :D So it's back on. I see this only ending in one way for me...pain! I keep getting images in my head that just won't go away. They're from Ireland's Fittest Family. There is a challenge on that called Hang Tough where family members hang suspended over an icy cold river and hold on for as long as they can before the inevitable plunge into the dark abyss below! Ratoath is shaping up to being my personal Hang Tough!! :eek: The only question is at what mile will I drop :o

It'll be mile 13.1 before you drop. Super consistent for months on end now and will definitely hold you in good stead. Only problem for you might be me clinging to your ankle as you leave me in your wake!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Monday 27th: Rest Day

Tuesday 28th: Cant remember this one too much. Just more very easy stuff thrown into the ledger. 8.2 miles @ 9:08

Wednesday 29th: Session day. This one went a bit wrong. I got up before realising I hadn't enough time to do the session. I decided that as I was up I'd go out for a few gentle miles anyway and defer the session until evening. I did 4.1 miles @ 9:19. I went to Marlay Park that evening for my 3 x 10 mins threshold (6:39-6:49) and did it on the lap in front of the house. First rep was at 6:42 and the subsequent 2 reps were a bit faster than planned but the effort felt right, (6:38 and 6:32).

Thursday 30th: Marlay Park mostly and a lap of Endas Park as well. A 10 mile run but not paced very evenly. Ended up being a 9:49 average but that was 3 miles on my own at my usual paces, 3 miles with someone doing 11 minute/ mile recovery run and then 4 again alone at normal pace.

Friday 31st: 90 mins easy around the local roads. 10.2 miles @ 8:56

Saturday 1st: 90 mins easy again. I decided I'd throw Poppintee Parkrun into the middle of this and to just do it at moderate pace. The Parkrun was great. After a couple of Kms I got chatting to a man out pacing his early teens daughter to try to get a PB to beat her 23:45. This pace was perfect moderate pace for me so I stayed with them. The girl was ever so tough. She was blowing hard all the way and really fighting. I joined in with encouraging her and stayed behind them to the finish. So close! 23:45 again!! A few very easy cooldown miles to get up to the 10 for the morning.

Sunday 2nd: What a busy day!! First things first, I had to get my run done. Plan had a 75 minute run at moderate pace. As my moderate pace is 7:46-8:01 I decided to change it slightly to 10 miles. Up to now I had been setting runs like this on my watch in one block. It meant however that pace changes late in the run did not affect the average too much and meant pacing was difficult. For this one I broke it into 5 consecutive two mile workouts with the last 3 to be speeding up by a few seconds. I did a 2 mile warmup before getting down to it. The first two 2 mile blocks out around Airside were at 8 minute pace, nice and comfortable. The next 3 segments were out and back some of the FD10 route where preparations for water stations were in full flow. Segments 3 and 4 were bang on plan at 7:47 and 7:39 but I had a bit of a brain fart and ran the last bit at 7:08 :o I was wrecked. Time for a carton of chocolate milk, a change of tshirt and then back into Swords Main Street to meet a few of the novices group.

It was nice to briefly meet Huzzah, Kittyclaws, Dealerz, Gypsylee and Juke before the start. I then jogged out to the water station at 2.5 miles to get a vantage point to give a shout to anyone I knew. Plenty of Boardsies passed...AMK, MurphD, aquinn (I only know that from D's race report :pac:), Omeceron, Lazare, Damo, TBO, Rossi, ReeReeG, Applegirl and the 5 from earlier. I got a few other shouts but for the life of me I had no idea who they were from!!

Thanks to the shape of the course a short 1k jog brought me back to the 9 mile mark where I got to see most go through before walking back in to Swords. The speed of Scullion coming down the hill at the point :eek:

Then it was home, quick shower, dinner and down to the pub to get a good seat for the match. I have to admit to a mild panic attack and feeling of impending doom after 18 minutes of the game but thankfully the best Gaelic football team ever quickly took control. Far far too many pints were consumed before, during and after the match which led to some stupid drunken texting later in the evening (more on this later :().

Weeks miles: 64
    August miles: 243
    September miles: 25
    YTD miles: 1687

I need to lie down after reading that. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Loved that update

Loved that update

Thanks P. Was hoping that someone wiser than ourselves would warn us off our plan! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks P. Was hoping that someone wiser than ourselves would warn us off our plan! :pac:

Best plans are always made when drink is involved, we all know that!!!

Loved that update

Me too. Really reminds me why I love running so much.

coogy wrote: »
    Me too. Really reminds me why I love running so much.

K did you get my PM on here?

• Advertisement

K did you get my PM on here?

Just responded! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not a betting person but if I was I’d put a few quid on that sub-90. (Caveat: gamblers lose far more
    often than they win.) :pac:

My PB is quite close to yours but you’ve come on a lot since then - no need not to be confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I went to Marlay Park that evening ... Marlay Park

you live near Marlay?

there's a gang of us do a tempo run in the concert field every Saturday morning at 9 if you want to jump in sometime...

RayCun wrote: »
    you live near Marlay?

there's a gang of us do a tempo run in the concert field every Saturday morning at 9 if you want to jump in sometime...

Thanks Ray. No, I'm a northsider but spend a lot of time on foreign soil south of the Liffey. I'll keep that in mind for any Saturday I'm around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ha, great update! Super week as usual, and I'd have every confidence in you managing to hit the target tomorrow! Will be looking forward to reading the report :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Best of luck tomorrow.

eyrie wrote: »
    Ha, great update! Super week as usual, and I'd have every confidence in you managing to hit the target tomorrow! Will be looking forward to reading the report :D
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow.

Thanks to you both. I love the way there is so much confidence in me hitting a target set by someone else! :pac: I have more confidence that I could hit my own target. Anyway it'll be an enjoyable morning with the 2 lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yes good luck!!! Hope you sync the watch with Strava immediately for all your followers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks to you both. I love the way there is so much confidence in me hitting a target set by someone else! :pac: I have more confidence that I could hit my own target. Anyway it'll be an enjoyable morning with the 2 lads. :)

Enjoyable should be one word for it alright :P

Best of luck ;)

Best of luck. Sub 90 before sub 40 would be impressive

• Advertisement

Best of luck. Sub 90 before sub 40 would be impressive

It'd be a miracle! :pac: I'd like to have a proper bash at it off the HM plan that I used for Bohermeen but sure what's the worst that can happen? Jog the last 3 or 4 miles and then go for a pint. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

All the best tomorrow! you're in shape to go sub-90 believe me. All that's left to do is go out and execute it:) Have a gud un

skyblue46 wrote:
    It'd be a miracle! I'd like to have a proper bash at it off the HM plan that I used for Bohermeen but sure what's the worst that can happen? Jog the last 3 or 4 miles and then go for a pint.

Absolutely nothing to lose. In all honesty go into each race with the mentality that times don't matter and run as hard as you can on the day. AMKs mantra - Run the best race you can on the day. You might surprise yourself. Will be following Strava with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Best of luck tomorrow S, I would not be surprised at all if you do 1.30! Don’t leave us hanging on Strava for too long!!

Best of luck tomorrow S, I would not be surprised at all if you do 1.30! Don’t leave us hanging on Strava for too long!!

Aw stop! Sure I told you after Kilcock that at least I had learned it wasn't possible yet. This thing has gone out of control! :eek: I'd nearly be tempted to give up the drink.... nearly haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

The very best of luck Sean, to you and the two buckos.

You're probably having a couple of tradional pre race crafties tonight are ya? :)

Lazare wrote: »
    The very best of luck Sean, to you and the two buckos.

You're probably having a couple of tradional pre race crafties tonight are ya? :)

A few O Hara's for good luck! Tempted to have a half dozen so I could turn tomorrow into a recovery run :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

A few O Hara's for good luck! Tempted to have a half dozen so I could turn tomorrow into a recovery run :pac:

Pre PB beers?

juke wrote: »
    Pre PB beers?

Pre race beers! There's a difference haha

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote:
    Pre race beers! There's a difference haha

Plenty of water! Don't sabotage yourself!

Advertisement