Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You make my races look bad! ;)

As for being tempted by the 50k.....I could be tempted....some year soon :pac:
    Haha, so you've signed your name in blood on the 2019 entrants' list already I take it?? ;) It sounds like a brilliant event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

eyrie wrote: »
    Haha, so you've signed your name in blood on the 2019 entrants' list already I take it?? ;) It sounds like a brilliant event.

Now now, that's how rumours start! :pac:

17th - 24th September

Monday 17th: Rest Day.

Tuesday 18th:
    On the day I thought this was a very easy run but of course Ali arrived the following morning and made this one seem calm. A run of the mill easy run out through Tolka Valley Park to Ashtown before turning for a breeze assisted run down the Royal canal to Phibsborough and then back uphill through Glasnevin. A cracking sunny morning.

Wednesday 19th: Session day and Storm Ali day. There was a 50 minute tempo on the plan and no storm was stopping me! :pac: Crazy decision it turned out to be as I was never as frightened on a run. Pace was to be in the 7:07 to 7:18 range. My slowest mile was a 7:25 and that was on a steep downhill into the gale. Fastest mile, a 6:51 felt like a jog so strong was the wind behind me. Fallen trees on every road I ran on including one on Sybil Hill which landed about 6 feet from me as I watched it crash down! Got it done anyway. Paces were OK at a 7:08 average and warmup/ cooldown brought it up to 12 miles.

Thursday 20th/ Friday 21st: Nothing much to report. Easy miles on derivatives of the Collins Ave/ Griffith Ave loop. 6.2m @ 9:09 and 4.6m @ 8:45.

Saturday 22nd: Session. 60 mins at moderate pace (7:56-8:10) was the plan. I did this on a lap which included the uphill DCM miles from the Liffey to Castleknock including Manor Street and Chesterfield Ave. I just feel you can't do too much practice on this section as it's so important come marathon day. I ran it a touch too fast with all splits being in the 7:40-7:53 range. Afterwards I met Browneyes, Lazare and Omeceron for a little chat and a mile cooldown for me before they did the Dublin Half. Congrats to Lazare and Browneyes on really smashing PB races and to Omeceron for doing it at pretty much PMP in the middle of a long run. Brilliant performances by all! :)

Sunday 23rd: The plan wanted 2.5 hours easy and that was all I could squeeze in before work. What a fantastic morning in the Park, absolutely glorious. The run itself took in that same section of DCM route as the day previous as well as some of the regular bits I run in the Park. I really find that when I do this section at pace or later in a run than I will be doing them in DCM that I get a greater appreciation of the gradual incline. I'm also learning where the little pieces of respite are ;) I got 17.4 miles done and some of it didn't feel particularly easy. I seemed to be fluctuating from being very comfortable to a bit stretched :confused:

Weekly miles: 60.4
    Monthly miles: 175
    YTD miles: 1838

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You were mad running in that gale, especially in the leafiest parts of DNS. Lucky escape!

Murph_D wrote: »
    You were mad running in that gale, especially in the leafiest parts of DNS. Lucky escape!

I can't argue! Irresponsible beyond belief. I had planned running down Griffith Avenue to Clontarf but no sooner had I left the house I knew that would have been suicide so I went down Collins Avenue instead....a few less trees :D Mount Vernon and Sybil Hill were actually terrifying:eek:

• Advertisement

I was terrified just sitting in a cafe on the seafront, drinking coffee, looking out at it!

September 24th-30th

Monday 24th: 4.2 mile recovery @9:25

Tuesday 25th: 10.3 miles very easy @ 9:16

Wednesday 26th: Session day. 3*3k @ threshold (6:47-6:57) off 4 mins jogged recoveries. Paces for each interval were 6:48, 6:47 and 6:37. The last one was a bit fast and I really felt it at the end...was dying a death. Warmup and cooldown brought mileage to a round 12.

Thursday 27th: 90 mins easy was the plan and I rounded it to an even 10 miles @ 9:10

Friday 28th: AM. 4.1m @ 9:06, PM 4.3m @ 9:12

Saturday 29th: My plan was for 7 miles and I wanted to do the Tyrellstown Parkrun to complete the Dublin set again. A couple of miles before and after and the Parkrun itself at a moderate paced 24:28. A lovely little park and as WW mentioned already this one has PB written all over it. Pancake flat with one small hump to be negotiated on each of the 3 laps. 7.5 miles @ 8:23

Sunday 30th: Session/ longish run. 75 mins tempo (7:07-7:18) was on the plan and I did a few slow miles before and after to bring it to 16 miles in total. Took in miles 3-13 of the DCM route for the tempo section. I really noticed the inclines much more when running at pace than I did in DCM last year with my ultra conservative policy. The drag up through Crumlin into the wind yesterday was a killer after 9 miles at pace. Last year on DCM I didn't even notice the drag!! Then again I was running almost 2 minutes a mile faster on this run. Absolutely gorgeous morning for running and huge numbers out and about. I've gotten into the habit of breaking longer workouts into pieces on the watch so that one particularly fast or slow section doesn't overly influence the average pace for the run. I broke this one into 5*15 minute blocks and the paces for each were 7:15, 7:14, 7:08, 7:05, 7:06. Loved it for 70 minutes, ground out the last 5! :pac:

Weekly miles: 69.2
    Monthly miles: 244.3
    YTD miles: 1907

So a really good week chalked up. The only downside was continued woes with the new Adrenalines which sadly look like they won't make the cut for DCM. Aside from that I was delighted. Still not feeling the urge to go chasing a time in DCM to be honest, my goal is definitely more towards medium term improvement than a target race in 4 weeks that leaves me a physical wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Another great week Sean almost there now. I am not sure if something has changed in the new Adrenalines I am actually not over keen on the 18s I have and that's after using them since the 15 Version.

Anyway you are bang on track for whatever you decide to do on marathon day.

Another great week Sean almost there now. I am not sure if something has changed in the new Adrenalines I am actually not over keen on the 18s I have and that's after using them since the 15 Version.

Anyway you are bang on track for whatever you decide to do on marathon day.

Never had them before but I got a spot of blistering from the get go. I decided to persevere in the hope it would turn into a callous but it's not happening. Also getting a sore spot on the outside of my right foot. It feels like a bruise to touch but there isn't a bruise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Never had them before but I got a spot of blistering from the get go. I decided to persevere in the hope it would turn into a callous but it's not happening. Also getting a sore spot on the outside of my right foot. It feels like a bruise to touch but there isn't a bruise there.

Since I've been wearing my new Brooks, I've noticed that one of my toenails has a fair bit of bruising and the general area of the toe is quite sore to the touch.
    No problem when it comes to running in them though. Just a little tender.....:confused:

• Advertisement

Almost 70 miles!!! :eek:
    70!
    miles!
    That's all I've got... :eek:

[Amazing stuff S, and what's more it sounds like it's no particular bother to you either. Fair play!]

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Another great week Sean!
    I wouldn't worry about feeling that Crumlin drag....after another monster week....with no taper.....at 3:05 marathon pace?! Whatever you decide for DCM it's going to be a massive PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

The drag up through Crumlin into the wind yesterday was a killer after 9 miles at pace. Last year on DCM I didn't even notice the drag!! 

I ran that part yesterday too (not at any pace however) for the second time, and I've really hated that stretch and drag both times. I hope the distraction of 100s of runners around me on the day will help!
    Nice week. Interested to see what you decide re DCM, will be a fair chunk of time knocked off from last year either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    my goal is definitely more towards medium term improvement than a target race in 4 weeks that leaves me a physical wreck.

I love hearing this. Well done on a great week and a fantastic block so far.

Another great week Sean!
    I wouldn't worry about feeling that Crumlin drag....after another monster week....with no taper.....at 3:05 marathon pace?! Whatever you decide for DCM it's going to be a massive PB.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I ran that part yesterday too (not at any pace however) for the second time, and I've really hated that stretch and drag both times. I hope the distraction of 100s of runners around me on the day will help!
    Nice week. Interested to see what you decide re DCM, will be a fair chunk of time knocked off from last year either way...

Well the decision has been made, a long time ago actually. I reckon 3:20 is possible if everything went right on the day, if I felt great and was prepared to be in pain for a week afterwards. 3:30 should be possible of a good controlled run and I could look towards resuming training quickly before Jingle Bells, Raheny and Bohermeen. I will be much much closer to option 2 than option 1 :D
    I love hearing this. Well done on a great week and a fantastic block so far.

Thanks P. It has been going well. I never thought I'd be taking a rest day after a near 70 mile week not because I had to but because I felt I should. I actually feel the best I felt in an age today and really wanted to run.

Well the decision has been made, a long time ago actually. I reckon 3:20 is possible if everything went right on the day, if I felt great and was prepared to be in pain for a week afterwards. 3:30 should be possible of a good controlled run and I could look towards resuming training quickly before Jingle Bells, Raheny and Bohermeen. I will be much much closer to option 2 than option 1 :D

Understand your dilemma, but I think you will find yourself recovering quicker from every marathon you do from now on. If you gave it a lash, 3-4 weeks of easy running post marathon would sort you out well in time for a JB blowout and then you’re into training for those other races you mention. Plenty have done that schedule before, or something similar.

October 1st-7th

Monday 1st:
    Rest day.

Tuesday 2nd: Nothing out of the ordinary. Local roads, more very easy miles in the bank. 8.1m a 9:05 per mile.

Wednesday 3rd: Session day. 2*30 mins at tempo (7:07-7:18) off 5 mins jog. I loved this one. A two mile warm up, the intervals and a 4 mile cooldown took me down to Fairview, out the coast road, across the rickety bridge and out to the Star of the Sea, on the Raheny and home via Killester and Donnycarney. A smashing morning. Oh and the two 30 mins averaged 7:07 each...nice and even :)

Thursday 4th: A double day. 7.4 miles at a very easy 9:10 in the morning and a dark, wet and grim run home from work which was 4.4 miles @ 8:46. Rain, glasses, darkness and car lights are a terrible mix!

Friday 5th: A kinda recovery day. 5m @ 9:21 locally.

Saturday 6th: Session type day. 60 mins at moderate pace (7:56-8:10). Over to the park for this and yet more miles on miles 3-11 of DCM route. I know nearly every crack in the paths at this stage! Ran it more to effort than usual so Chesterfield and St Laurence's Road were slightly slower than the Tower Road, Glen Road sections. Pace averaged out at 7:48 for the 60 minutes. Warmup and cooldown brought the mileage to 12.4

Sunday 7th: LSR day. Time to revisit the southern portion of the DCM route 49 weeks after my first and only visit. Parked up as usual at the Hole in the Wall and set off from there. Ran across the park to pick up the route at Kilmainham. After that it was great...it was easy paced and felt it. It really pressed home to me how much more difficult the first 10k of the course is to the second. It also made me realise that Heartbreak Hill is seriously overhyped! :pac: Ran to the finish of DCM and then back up to Fitzwilliam Square to hit out on miles 1-4 and back up to the park. I gave in to the temptation to stretch the legs out for a couple of miles near the end. :rolleyes: So all told it was 22.8 miles @ 8:38

Weekly miles: 75.3
    Monthly miles: 75.3
    YTD miles: 1983

A good week where something strange happened. I finally felt stronger. I know my times have been improving but I hadn't noticed myself fitter. Maybe it's that I'm getting close to the base that so many books talk about...2 years of running with weekly mileage averaging at least 40. Now I just have to get this marathon out of the way so I can get back to training :D

You're putting up monster mileage S. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote:
    Thursday 4th: A double day. 7.4 miles at a very easy 9:10 in the morning and a dark, wet and grim run home from work which was 4.4 miles @ 8:46. Rain, glasses, darkness and car lights are a terrible mix!

I leave contacts in work for this very reason!

Great week... I'm surprised you're only feeling that strength now, it's been shining through all the runs on Strava for a while now(at least, from where I've been sitting, yes it's an inexperienced perch but still!). Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Another cracking week S I know I have said this before but I really believe that the marathon at the end of the month can be whatever you want it to be. You deserve it for your dedication to your training.

You are going to do some serious damage to your PBs post marathon.

• Advertisement

You're putting up monster mileage S. Great stuff.

I really do believe I'm still base building. To start out at my age without a good base and throw myself into faster stuff would be mad. Continuity is key for me. I'll have to encourage the author of the Grads plan to do a Grads grads plan for me! :pac:
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I leave contacts in work for this very reason!

Great week... I'm surprised you're only feeling that strength now, it's been shining through all the runs on Strava for a while now(at least, from where I've been sitting, yes it's an inexperienced perch but still!). Nice one.

I don't wear contacts. God it was horrible. The number of times I dodged imagined lampposts was just wrong! :cool:
    Another cracking week S I know I have said this before but I really believe that the marathon at the end of the month can be whatever you want it to be. You deserve it for your dedication to your training.

You are going to do some serious damage to your PBs post marathon.

Thanks C. Whatever I want the marathon to be....? Over? :D Ah I'll come up with a plan I hope. It'll probably be concocted on the start line or later!

skyblue46 wrote:
    I really do believe I'm still base building. To start out at my age without a good base and throw myself into faster stuff would be mad. Continuity is key for me. I'll have to encourage the author of the Grads plan to do a Grads grads plan for me!

All you can do is ask! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Another big week - 75m!!! I know you keep saying your not really interested in DCM but I would love to see what you could achieve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Another big week - 75m!!! I know you keep saying your not really interested in DCM but I would love to see what you could achieve

This exactly!

Great week, consistent as ever, well done :cool:

I don't wear contacts. God it was horrible. The number of times I dodged imagined lampposts was just wrong! :cool:
    You've just reminded me I actually ran into a lamppost towards the end of my long run on Saturday - the shame!! :o

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    ariana` wrote: »
    This exactly!

Great week, consistent as ever, well done :cool:

Well I'm touched that ye would like to see what I could do.....sadly I don't share your curiosity :pac:

I meant to include in my weekly log that I think I met Raycun running the opposite direction during my long run on Sunday. I wasn't fully sure so just shouted a Howya Ray as he passed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I meant to include in my weekly log that I think I met Raycun running the opposite direction during my long run on Sunday. I wasn't fully sure so just shouted a Howya Ray as he passed :)

I think you did - someone did shout Howya Ray at me at one stage, and I had no idea who it was :pac: the price of fame:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

RayCun wrote: »
    I think you did - someone did shout Howya Ray at me at one stage, and I had no idea who it was :pac: the price of fame:D

And I had a conversation with your BP buddy about your dilemma to run as a group - that damned 1 min differential :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

And I had a conversation with your BP buddy about your dilemma to run as a group - that damned 1 min differential :)

ah yeah, there's a few of us who are thinking of around 2:52 - PD you were talking to, you know P, and there's also MP - but I'm thinking of trying it as 1:27/1:25, more or less. Yes, in some ways it would be easier to stick with a group, but I think I'd be inclined to go a bit too fast on the drags and hills like that.

Advertisement