Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RayCun wrote: »
    I think you did - someone did shout Howya Ray at me at one stage, and I had no idea who it was :pac: the price of fame:D

yeah, checking strava, our paths crossed around the Submarine, when I was crawling home at the end of my run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, checking strava, our paths crossed around the Submarine, when I was crawling home at the end of my run

I was crawling slower at the early part of my run :pac: At least next time I'll know....

October 8th-14th Taper Week 1

The plan for this week was very simple....drop mileage by 33%, tempo session, longish run and everything else very easy. Oh yeah and the small matter of getting shoes sorted after the ongoing problems trying to get used to the Brooks Adrenalines :pac:

Monday 8th: 3.2 miles doing laps of the local park at 9:14 pace.

Tuesday 9th: 6 miles on the Collins Ave/Griffith Ave loop. Griffith Ave is looking great at this time of year with fantastic autumnal copper and gold leaves adorning the tree lined avenue. 9:12 per mile.

Wednesday 10th: Back to laps of the local park for 6 more miles at a similar pace to the previous few days....9:06.

Thursday 11th: Session. 3*15 mins @ tempo (7:07-7:18) off 5 mins jog recovery. I went up to Santry Demesne to do this on a fine afternoon. All went well. Paces for each interval were 7:06, 7:06 and 7:03. Warmup and cooldown brought the miles to 11.2

Friday 12th: Just a gentle 3 miles @ 9:03 to get a run in wearing new Zoom Structure shoes. They felt a bit different to the shoes I have in rotation recently but comfortable which is all that matters.

Saturday 13th: 6.7 miles including Corkagh Parkrun in the middle. Met Lazare and Browneyes for this. Lazare was doing an easy run to test an injury. Thankfully he had no reaction to a 12 mile run. Browneyes was hoping to get under 24 mins to set a new PB so I offered to pace her. She ran great, stuck to my perfectly precise pacemaking :D and got home in 23:47. There's lots more to come from her for sure.

Sunday 14th: Second and final dress rehearsal day. Tried the Maurten Drink Mix 320 with my breakfast. Not the tastiest thing to put it mildly but I will stick with it. I had another go with the Maurten gels which I used last week and they will definitely make the cut...flavour good, easy to open sachet even wearing gloves and no sticky mess whatsoever. New shoes got through the 15 miles no problem. I'll wear them for the next 2 weeks and they'll be good to go on the 28th.

It was an absolutely cracking morning for this easy run. Clear blue skies, barely a breeze and roads filled with runners getting their last long run in. Went down through Clontarf, out the Bull Wall and back home through Raheny village and Killester. If only all Sundays could be like this!!

Weekly miles: 51
    Monthly miles: 126
    YTD miles: 2034

October 15th-21st

Monday 15th:
    Recovery jog. 2.1 miles @ 9.25

Tuesday 16th: The first of three days this week which were to be very easy 5 mile runs. All were done locally and all were devoid of anything worth reporting! 5.2 miles @ 9.10

Wednesday 17th: Session day. Another tempo run (7.07-7.18) which has been the solid staple of sessions this past 2 weeks. The volume decreased again and this one was 4*10 mins off 4 mins jogged recoveries. An amazing afternoon in the Phoenix Park...I love this place more and more every time I run in it. Legs felt great and the paces of 7.07,7.07,7.06 and 7.02 were nicely controlled.

Thursday 18th: 5.1 miles @ 9.05

Friday 19th: Rest day

Saturday 20th: 5 miles @ 9.19

Sunday 21st: An overdue but welcome chance to get out for a run with some of the '18 Novices group. 10 miles at about 10 mins per mile. I did the first few miles with some of those aiming for 4.30-5.00 hours, then a couple of Kms at MP to catch the 3.40-3.50 group who I finished out the run with. Really enjoyable chat and some lovely coffee and granola afterwards in the visitor centre cafe. Best of luck to all of you next week.

Training wise it was a weird week with touches of taper madness appearing. In my case it shows itself in the way I view Strava. Suddenly everyone else seems to be tapering properly and I'm doubting my taper!! Nuts I know but the doubts are real!

Weekly miles: 38
    Monthly miles: 164
    YTD miles: 2072

Now just a little request for anyone that reads this .......... We have just learned that one of this years novices group sadly lost her beautiful 4 year old daughter in July. Little Georgia would have been celebrating her 5th birthday on Sunday next. Her mum is running DCM for both herself and her Georgia. It is a heartbreaking story and a testament to a mothers courage and love that she will take the line to take on DCM. Georgia was a typical girlie 4 year old who loved bright colours, sparkles, animals and such like. In her memory many of us from the novices thread will wear something bright or sparkly on Sunday. Please remember this little angel and say a prayer for her mum....maybe as you pass Mile 5 you could wish Georgia a happy birthday. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I will be there supporting and will wear something to remember Georgia :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »

Now just a little request for anyone that reads this .......... We have just learned that one of this years novices group sadly lost her beautiful 4 year old daughter in July. Little Georgia would have been celebrating her 5th birthday on Sunday next. Her mum is running DCM for both herself and her Georgia. It is a heartbreaking story and a testament to a mothers courage and love that she will take the line to take on DCM. Georgia was a typical girlie 4 year old who loved bright colours, sparkles, animals and such like. In her memory many of us from the novices thread will wear something bright or sparkly on Sunday. Please remember this little angel and say a prayer for her mum....maybe as you pass Mile 5 you could wish Georgia a happy birthday. Thanks.

The 5th Mile should be just before the Phoenix Monument in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Sunday S, savage mileage put in in the build up. Will stand to you big time, go for it aggressively is my advice you are more than capable of running a big PB. See you in McGrattans hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck on Sunday S. That year has gone quickly. Look forward to seeing you reap the rewards of all the hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Cracking year of running behind you since DCM 2017. Have a great run on Sunday.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday S, savage mileage put in in the build up. Will stand to you big time, go for it aggressively is my advice you are more than capable of running a big PB. See you in McGrattans hopefully.

Thanks a million B. I'm looking forward to the day. I'll definitely be in McGrattans....planning quite a long stay actually! :pac:

• Advertisement

Good luck on Sunday S. That year has gone quickly. Look forward to seeing you reap the rewards of all the hard work.

It's gone by in the blink of an eye. Hopefully I get through it in one piece. Already looking forward to you guiding me around the XC course on the 17th more than I am Sunday's adventure! ;)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Cracking year of running behind you since DCM 2017. Have a great run on Sunday.

Thanks. I nearly managed as many hours as you some weeks...but only nearly! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks. I nearly managed as many hours as you some weeks...but only nearly! :eek:

:o:o:o

I might set up a 1,000 Hour Challenge next year, instead of the 1,000 Mile Challenge!

I might set up a 1,000 Hour Challenge next year, instead of the 1,000 Mile Challenge!

I think that might be beyond either of us...or even both combined! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good thinking for a time based challenge give some of us slower runners a chance - though I wouldn't take you on Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck S. Absolutely nailed that training block. Consistent day on day, week on week, month on month. Been great following you. Looks like I might see you in a couple of spots on Sunday hopefully. Gonna make an effort to search ye out in McGrattans assuming my buddy doesn't have a very bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Best of luck on Sunday! See you in Mc Grattans.

Best of luck S. Absolutely nailed that training block. Consistent day on day, week on week, month on month. Been great following you. Looks like I might see you in a couple of spots on Sunday hopefully. Gonna make an effort to search ye out in McGrattans assuming my buddy doesn't have a very bad day.

Thanks a million. Oh definitely come to McGrattans. A few of us will be there at least until darkness falls! After that it'll be a case of people falling :pac:

Best of luck on Sunday! See you in Mc Grattans.

You too young lady. You've really settled into the training. You know what to do, just get out there and do it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck tomorrow Sean; you have put some effort in over the last couple of years to both your own running and helping out with mentoring the Novice Class of 2018.

If Carlsberg did examples of how to approach running in a sensible/structured and consistent way you would be top of the pile.

Now go out and do your thing tomorrow! I will be volunteering and the water station at Donore so I will try and spot you as you bomb past!

Also good to read that you plan to get he XC Spikes on over the winter.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have a good day, S - run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Good luck tomorrow Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great day tomorrow, full of negative splits and maybe even the revealing of a bit of sandbagging :) Wouldn't be surprised to see you run faster than the times you've been talking about. If I don't see you around Dublin then I'll see you in the pub!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Have a good day, S - run well.

Thanks D. Sure I'll give it a lash anyway. It's your time off a 1:34 half that is giving me something to cling on to!
    Good luck tomorrow Sean; you have put some effort in over the last couple of years to both your own running and helping out with mentoring the Novice Class of 2018.

If Carlsberg did examples of how to approach running in a sensible/structured and consistent way you would be top of the pile.

Now go out and do your thing tomorrow! I will be volunteering and the water station at Donore so I will try and spot you as you bomb past!

Also good to read that you plan to get he XC Spikes on over the winter.

C

Ah it has been great to give a little bit back. I have picked up so much from people on here that it's wonderful to be able to pass some of it on to the Novice group. XC is definitely on the cards...BHAA for now as I learn the ropes :)
    Good luck tomorrow Sean.

You too Andy. I'll keep my eyes open for you at the back of wave 1 if you're nearby.
    Singer wrote: »
    Have a great day tomorrow, full of negative splits and maybe even the revealing of a bit of sandbagging :) Wouldn't be surprised to see you run faster than the times you've been talking about. If I don't see you around Dublin then I'll see you in the pub!

Oh will ya give up the sandbagging thing :pac: Best of luck to you too...I'm dying to see what benefits a fairly fast Parkrun will bring. I might add it to future training!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Have a blast tomorrow S. Your good sense and hard work will have their reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow, race well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck tomorrow S!! You're in incredible shape and I hope you get to have the race you deserve. Something tells me you will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I knew you were going to push it on:pac:. Absolutely cracking run! Enjoy the pints:)

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    I knew you were going to push it on:pac:. Absolutely cracking run! Enjoy the pints:)

Loved it..tough as fook but it felt so bloody good to forget pace bands and run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Absolutely cracking race Sean, dying to read the race report.

Advertisement