Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

October 22nd-28th

I won't go into any details about runs during the week as they were just typical taper fare. I was still dithering over paces until late in the week. The Ratoath half had thrown a fly in the ointment and I didn't want DCM to turn into the same walk/jog finish. After weighing up different theories like 2x half & 10/15 or 20 minutes I decided to split the difference and try to turn my 1:33:xx into a 3:21:08. I also thought this would be nice and symmetrical as it would mean exactly a one minute per mile improvement on last year :pac: So off I went to findmymarathon paceband site and printed out a band for 3:22. As with last year I based it on a negative split and very conservative start. I hoped that a bit of a kick near the end would get me down into the 21's.

Between the jigs and the reels I asked someone whose opinion I value greatly as to what he thought of my target time. He suggested it was at the softer end of what I could do and to set out at 7:30/7:40 pace and see how it felt. It was a bit scary but I decided to go for it. Scissors was taken from the drawer and paceband cut into tiny pieces :D Strangely enough it removed all the worrying that goes with these course specific pacebands. Will I really be able to do 7:11 at mile 23? Will I be able to slow down enough to do 8:17 in mile 3? All of this gone in one fell swoop!! Run by how I feel and trust my training...such a novel idea :pac:

Dublin City Marathon

Miles 1 and 2: I settled right at the back of Wave 1...and tipped away at 7:30/7:40 as planned. Unfortunately there was a big difference between the mile markers and the watch on these miles so both actually clocked in at 8 minutes as I passed the markers where the watch gave me 7:37 and 7:43. The watch said 2.2 miles as I passed mile marker 2.

Mile 3: Had a bit of a chat with myself here. I was already working out numbers in my head. What if every mile was like those? I'd be losing time hand over fist by running to 7:40 pace on the watch. I made a promise to myself that from there on I would only look at the watch at each mile.

Miles 4-7: From a running point of view this was brilliant...I only looked at the watch 4 times and each time I saw 7:35 looking back at me. Happy days, 4 even paced miles. On a non running point the crowds in Castleknock were once again amazing. The music, the cheering....absolutely brilliant.

Miles 8-10: The downhill bits. Didn't push too hard on these. Too early in the day for heroics. 7:19, 7:23, 7:18. Met Andy on the Glen Road and had a little chat on the way down to the Chapelizod Gates. As we exited the gates I turned my attention to see if I could spot Scotindublin at the Donore water station. I didn't! Unfortunately I didn't get to bid adieu to Andy as I lost him here.

Miles 11-14: Nice and steady up Laurence's Road and then a bit of a pick up as I spotted J a hundred yards ahead. She had done her usual fast start! I caught her in Kilmainham, had a quick chat and moved on. Delighted for her in getting an 11 minute PB in the end, 3:34. Quickened a bit through Dolphins Barn probably because of the crowd and then eased off all the way up the Crumlin Road. Half way was passed in 1:39:50 and I realised I would have to beat 3:20 in order not to be found out by the Novices as someone who preached (ad nauseam) about negative splits but couldn't carry it out!! 7:39, 7:15, 7:26, 7:39

Miles 15-22: Fortfield Road was where the first signs of things changing began. Without the pace changing the effort levels were rising. An easy run was turning into a moderate run but I felt I was managing things OK. When we turned onto the Templeogue Road I could see the 3:20 pacers at the far end of the road getting close to Terenure village. They then became my focus for the next 6 miles. I eased them in slowly while trying to resist the urge to really chase them down. By the turn onto Roebuck Road they were probably 200 metres ahead. This gap didn't close on the hill as I eased the pace back to prepare for a chase on the downhill to follow 7:28, 7:26, 7:29, 7:22, 7:20, 7:19, 7:14, 7:30.

Miles 23-25: The next couple of miles were hard, proper hard! Legs were really feeling dead and heavy but thankfully it was downhill and the 3:20 group were getting ever closer. I caught them at the turn onto Nutley Lane and by Jaysus it was a blessed relief. I just settled into their pace and decided to just sit in with them to the finish. The encouragement they were shouting was amazing, if colourful at times :pac: Absolutely cracking job they do. I'd love to give it a bash sometime. 7:21, 7:06, 7:27

The End: I found myself drifting off the front of the group along by the RDS but just went with it even though the legs were like lead weights. I was better able to both take in and enjoy the atmosphere than I was last year. It was amazing and gave me the energy to pick up speed from what felt like stopped to nearly stopped! Onto the mat and over the line. 3:16:37. I was thrilled to bits, still am to be honest. 7:22, 6:45 (.3)

To be honest I didn't think I had that in me. I loved it all. The weather, the crowds, running by feel...everything. It just couldn't have been better :) One year ago after my first marathon I'd never have believed I could come back and do one half an hour faster. A big thanks to the Grads thread and plan for helping me focus.

I headed back to McGrattans and had a great afternoon and evening meeting Boardsies old and novice graduates alike. I won't list names as I'm bound to leave some out. Unfortunately from reading other reports I also missed quite a few others who were downstairs.

What's next? A bit of a rest and then a try of some XC at the next BHAA race, JB, Raheny 5, Trim 10, Bohermeen Half...:pac: There won't be a marathon in sight! J and I both achieved what should be GFA times for Chicago or Boston '20 so that'll be my next 26.2

Thanks for reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Still delighted for you S, fantastic running and lovely chatting to you in McGrattan's afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

What, no mention of the caricature? :pac: Great day. Here's to many more.

What, no mention of the caricature? :pac: Great day. Here's to many more.

Ah I haven't got around to that yet. That will come with my very sentimental final post on the novices thread! :D

For those of you who this means nothing to let me explain that the Novice group presented ariana and her two sidekicks with brilliant caricatures drawn by Coogy. As punishment for having to play the bad cop role when compared to the girls sugary sweet and compassionate advice to the novices my picture has me wearing a Meath :( singlet and sporting Devils horns and tail! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great to read the breakdown of it all. Such a well run race and fair play on taking the gamble. That lad knows his stuff. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great report - well deserved time too.

FWIW - you'd be a great pacer, you've all the attributes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ah I haven't got around to that yet. That will come with my very sentimental final post on the novices thread! :D

For those of you who this means nothing to let me explain that the Novice group presented ariana and her two sidekicks with brilliant caricatures drawn by Coogy. As punishment for having to play the bad cop role when compared to the girls sugary sweet and compassionate advice to the novices my picture has me wearing a Meath :( singlet and sporting Devils horns and tail! :pac::pac:

Hahaha, atleast they gave you a united theme;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huge congratulations to you once again S! That was some run. Absolutely no surprise but very impressive. I'm delighted for you.
    It was lovely chatting to you in McGrattan's afterwards - great to finally put a face to the name!
    Half way was passed in 1:39:50 and I realised I would have to beat 3:20 in order not to be found out by the Novices as someone who preached (ad nauseam) about negative splits but couldn't carry it out!!
    This is brilliant :D Love that you were thinking that while we were all worrying about sticking to the same advice so we wouldn't incur your wrath! ;)

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Hahaha, atleast they gave you a united theme;)

Something tells me it had nothing to do with United and a lot to do with being a cranky old bolli* haha.

Great to read the breakdown of it all. Such a well run race and fair play on taking the gamble. That lad knows his stuff. Haha

Yeah i wanted to break it down more as a race report so I could learn from it. None of my usual guff about where I took what brand of gel, how many layers I had to remove at the start, how I dropped a glove from my waistband and being such a tight git almost stopped to pick it up!!

• Advertisement

Great report - well deserved time too.

FWIW - you'd be a great pacer, you've all the attributes.

For any race organisers out there please consider this a reference :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Class result Sean and very well deserved! I tried to spot you aswell but there were times it was pretty manic at the water station. Will read the race report properly later.

Brilliant stuff delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Loved reading your report. Fantastic race. I’m so glad you really enjoyed it considering the reluctance to do it. Good craic in McGrattans too after.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Loved reading your report. Fantastic race. I’m so glad you really enjoyed it considering the reluctance to do it. Good craic in McGrattans too after.

Oh it was a great afternoon in the pub. I loved it.

As for the run itself, yes I enjoyed it for a long time but then it was time for business. Haha. I enjoy running so much it's mental but if I pay an entry to race, I want to race. I can't imagine running in a race and not trying to do my best unless I was pacing someone. That's just me I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

I enjoy running so much it's mental but if I pay an entry to race, I want to race. I can't imagine running in a race and not trying to do my best unless I was pacing someone. That's just me I guess....

I think that is a great way to look at it and it's obviously working, great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

October 22nd-28th
    Half way was passed in 1:39:50 and I realised I would have to beat 3:20 in order not to be found out by the Novices as someone who preached (ad nauseam) about negative splits but couldn't carry it out!! 7:39, 7:15, 7:26, 7:39

Brilliant! It was this preaching which made me determined to have even pacing when you'd be perusing strava later :P
    October 22nd-28th
    What's next? A bit of a rest and then a try of some XC at the next BHAA race, JB, Raheny 5, Trim 10, Bohermeen Half...:pac: There won't be a marathon in sight! J and I both achieved what should be GFA times for Chicago or Boston '20 so that'll be my next 26.2
    Wow that's exciting! Looking forward to following this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Absolutely fantastic, what a run and PB. Brilliant Seán.

aquinn wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic, what a run and PB. Brilliant Seán.

Thanks a million. It's all down to the Griffith Ave/ Collins Ave loop!! Disappointed I missed ye the other evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks a million. It's all down to the Griffith Ave/ Collins Ave loop!! Disappointed I missed ye the other evening.

I know, I heard you had only just left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

S, when I saw you in McGrattans and told me your finish time, I was amazed but also not one bit surprised given how you performed over the last few months.
    You totally earned this, so thrilled for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

October 22nd-28th

Thanks for reading :)

Congrats on the great performance again - not that I ever doubted you.

That's a fantastic time from J too.

I'm planning on a similar racing schedule myself for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great stuff S. A brilliantly run race (and great year or two). You still looked so fresh, and happy, when I seen you on the way to mcGrattans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Question for you S and possibly you answered this before:

Was the Yoga a big factor in your initial improving running performances? Do you still do it?

Genuinely interested as I found on the course Sunday that while I didn’t quite hit the wall, my lower body was so stiff. I couldn’t kick my legs down the last few k at all.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Question for you S and possibly you answered this before:

Was the Yoga a big factor in your initial improving running performances? Do you still do it?

Genuinely interested as I found on the course Sunday that while I didn’t quite hit the wall, my lower body was so stiff. I couldn’t kick my legs down the last few k at all.

Hmm....you must be mixing me up with someone else :pac: I don't do yoga. I tried Bikram yoga 18 months ago...horrific stuff and I couldn't run for 2 weeks after.

What you felt was fatigue. Remember that while target times were mentioned by many people and we as mentors tried to keep them realistic, it was also mentioned more than once that the plan is one to get people around. In an ideal world 18 months of consistent running gives you a good base.

Another question for you. You've had decent experience with Novice and Grads plans at this stage. You also met my buddy at the weekend. What are your thoughts on intermediate/advanced runners like himself using plans like the grads plans for the shorter stuff? I could ask Luke but I'd rather hear from your experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Brilliant stuff Sean. A well earned pb using your instincts. See ya on the road in 2019.

Another question for you. You've had decent experience with Novice and Grads plans at this stage. You also met my buddy at the weekend. What are your thoughts on intermediate/advanced runners like himself using plans like the grads plans for the shorter stuff? I could ask Luke but I'd rather hear from your experiences.

I think the grads plan is excellent. It is an ideal step up for people not familiar with sessions too. The Runcoach paces table which is used in conjunction with the plan seemed perfect to me. Sessions were properly testing and very easy days were just that. I will admit my mileage was a bit above the plan but I had a good base built and didn't exceed the 10% rule of thumb.

I saw a post on another thread today about building a novice plan and there was a reply on it which suggested improving speed before distance. It's something I suggested on a thread months ago. I see too many do a C25K and complete a 5k...slowly. But they then move to 10k, 10 miles, half etc, always extending the distance at slower speeds. I like the idea of getting faster first and then trying to carry the speed and endurance up the distances. Not sure if that answers the question....if not, ask again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I saw a post on another thread today about building a novice plan and there was a reply on it which suggested improving speed before distance. It's something I suggested on a thread months ago. I see too many do a C25K and complete a 5k...slowly. But they then move to 10k, 10 miles, half etc, always extending the distance at slower speeds. I like the idea of getting faster first and then trying to carry the speed and endurance up the distances. Not sure if that answers the question....if not, ask again.
    Fully agree with this I know it's not always a popular outlook.

I saw the same comment and thought it was very good advice. Thanks for the detail there. I guess the only clarifying question I'd have - is it suitable for a guy who's been running sessions very well for a year and who's coming off a marathon block where mileage peaked at 60 odd mpw. Sitting in or around 19.40 for 5k and 41 for 10k.

• Advertisement

Fully agree with this I know it's not always a popular outlook.

I think that to get stronger at shorter distances people will have to increase mileage anyway. I just see so many turn a 30 minute 5k into a 70 minute 10k, etc rather than getting the 5k down to 25 and then a 10k in 53...

Advertisement