Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I saw the same comment and thought it was very good advice. Thanks for the detail there. I guess the only clarifying question I'd have - is it suitable for a guy who's been running sessions very well for a year and who's coming off a marathon block where mileage peaked at 60 odd mpw. Sitting in or around 19.40 for 5k and 41 for 10k.

That question is also one I need an answer to. I know I need to tweak it a bit and his times are similar to mine...which begs the question as to whether his marathon was too slow or whether I have to revisit the short stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    That question is also one I need an answer to. I know I need to tweak it a bit and his times are similar to mine...which begs the question as to whether his marathon was too slow or whether I have to revisit the short stuff.

His marathon was conservative. I refuse to use the words too slow haha. We chatted at length about it and while it was on the extreme end of conservative, given his history with double Achilles surgery and the fact he really just wanted to enjoy it, we settled on getting him through this and attacking future ones.

His marathon was conservative. I refuse to use the words too slow haha. We chatted at length about it and while it was on the extreme end of conservative, given his history with double Achilles surgery and the fact he really just wanted to enjoy it, we settled on getting him through this and attacking future ones.

Very sensible under the circumstances....he has to be looking 3:10/3:15 next year?

skyblue46 wrote:
    Very sensible under the circumstances....he has to be looking 3:10/3:15 next year?

He's talking 3.20 but let's see where he's at in July. I'll talk him down haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hmm....you must be mixing me up with someone else :pac: I don't do yoga. I tried Bikram yoga 18 months ago...horrific stuff and I couldn't run for 2 weeks after.

What you felt was fatigue. Remember that while target times were mentioned by many people and we as mentors tried to keep them realistic, it was also mentioned more than once that the plan is one to get people around. In an ideal world 18 months of consistent running gives you a good base.

Ah ok, I read your OP and got the impression the yoga was a turning point for you in your running. My bad.

I absolutely need to get more training in before I do another marathon but for now, looking at shorter running and training options to improve flexibility/strength and conditioning for preparation of future attempts!

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Ah ok, I read your OP and got the impression the yoga was a turning point for you in your running. My bad.

I absolutely need to get more training in before I do another marathon but for now, looking at shorter running and training options to improve flexibility/strength and conditioning for preparation of future attempts!

I just re-read it. Yep I can see where you could get that impression. My turning point as such was starting to follow a plan and to start adhering to the "easy days easy" mantra. The best way to prepare for future attempts is to keep running, to build up a long term base. You should definitely have a look at the Grads plans when that thread gets up and running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Great race report and even better result, S. Nice chatting to you in McGrattans after, and I've no doubt you'll give Chicago or Boston a right rattle in 2 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Great race report for DCM - that's some pb on the previous year - well done!

October 29th- November 4th

I know this is supposed to be a training log but I did bugger all. A 3.5 and 4 mile run on Tuesday and Thursday. :o This wasn't due to tired legs as I felt great all week. It is more that I feel a down week or two will be good after doing 3 training plans during the year which included one period of 119 days of consecutive running.

So I'll resort to a report of my musings during the week.

First things first...apart from a 3 hour weakening of resolve on Thursday I am still certain that I will not race DCM 19. There will be no U turn on this! :D

What am I going to do instead? Everything and anything to be honest. I want to try things out. Due to the nature of the shift work I do and that I'm only off on 18 weekends a year this will take a bit of planning! For now the only target race I see on the distant horizon is the Charleville Half. I want to get to as many of the races I see get plaudits year on year here on Boards. I will pick a few other races that I hope to have a good crack at.

My plans include some BHAA cross country, Jingle Bells, Tom Brennan, NIA live indoor race or two, Raheny 5, Trim 10, Bohermeen Half, BHAA road races, Clane 10k, Bob Heffernan, Dunshaughlin 10k and anything else that catches my eye! Basically I want to try new things and also return to some really well organised and enjoyable races.

Planning training around all this will be a bit of a problem to do but hey ho I'll have a go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Plenty to aim for Sean. Are you still thinking of joining a club? You would be very strong in your age category.

• Advertisement

Plenty to aim for Sean. Are you still thinking of joining a club? You would be very strong in your age category.

:pac:Haha...I'm like the boy who cried wolf at this stage when it comes to the subject of joining a club so I was avoiding any mention of it. Yes I will. The beginning of the year for 100% certain. I'd hope to get out for a couple of Sunday morning runs with the club to try them out before that.

skyblue46 wrote:
    :pac:Haha...I'm like the boy who cried wolf at this stage when it comes to the subject of joining a club so I was avoiding any mention of it. Yes I will. The beginning of the year for 100% certain. I'd hope to get out for a couple of Sunday morning runs with the club to try them out before that.

Which club!? May have asked before

Which club!? May have asked before

Raheny has been the plan for a long long long time. I keep putting it off. The main reason is work related. I work on all 7 days of the week over the year. I pretty much get the same number of each day off in any given year...16/20 of each. It makes it impossible to attend anything on a regular basis...less than one in three sessions or long run days. On the other hand I get lots of time for training alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'd definitely agree with getting out for a few runs with them 1st.

I was encouraged to join a club for a good while, when I did, my training changed and I felt I lost control for a while.
    I also felt like I'd wasted more than a year in doing certain track sessions. I became very good at doing 400m reps but not very good at racing - my times went backwards.
    2 years ago, I stopped training with the club (apart from long runs) and my times improved a heap.

So, I guess I'm just saying be careful about the decision - its not a panacea for great racing or great times. I think all runners need to be very selfish with their training and do things that suit them and their goals.

Edit: In saying that - I dont regret joining a club - theres always the "What if......." - and I really enjoy the long runs with the lads and the comradeship of racing together.

I'd definitely agree with getting out for a few runs with them 1st.

I was encouraged to join a club for a good while, when I did, my training changed and I felt I lost control for a while.
    I also felt like I'd wasted more than a year in doing certain track sessions. I became very good at doing 400m reps but not very good at racing - my times went backwards.
    2 years ago, I stopped training with the club (apart from long runs) and my times improved a heap.

So, I guess I'm just saying be careful about the decision - its not a panacea for great racing or great times. I think all runners need to be very selfish with their training and do things that suit them and their goals.

Edit: In saying that - I dont regret joining a club - theres always the "What if......." - and I really enjoy the long runs with the lads and the comradeship of racing together.

Cheers A. I have to say that I'm not particularly drawn to joining a club for training purposes. It'd be more for some company on the long runs to be honest. That and the support that club runners get while racing. :pac: Also the fact that you get registered with the AAI.

Cheers A. I have to say that I'm not particularly drawn to joining a club for training purposes. It'd be more for some company on the long runs to be honest. That and the support that club runners get while racing. :pac: Also the fact that you get registered with the AAI.

Now when I read back on that it makes me think...Any club gets me into the AAI so what I probably need is a club with a few decent sorts in it and maybe one that does its long runs in my favourite place to run, the PP. Do you know of any? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

A scotindublin v AMK battle for Sean's signature in the offing!

All joking aside I think you have both hit the nail on the head you need to find a club that works for you and there is no need to be a slave to the club sessions. That's one thing I have noticed with some of the lads; they are great at setting their own session and just getting them done. Doing sessions on your own is no harm either it is a good to commit to these on your own and see how you can push yourself.

Hard to beat a crew for the long runs though.

Now when I read back on that it makes me think...Any club gets me into the AAI so what I probably need is a club with a few decent sorts in it and maybe one that does its long runs in my favourite place to run, the PP. Do you know of any? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

All joking aside I think you have both hit the nail on the head you need to find a club that works for you and there is no need to be a slave to the club sessions. That's one thing I have noticed with some of the lads; they are great at setting their own session and just getting them done. Doing sessions on your own is no harm either it is a good to commit to these on your own and see how you can push yourself.

Hard to beat a crew for the long runs though.

I've found the club stuff to be good for general sessions, i.e. not in the immediate build up to a race. For both of my recent target races (Bob Heffernan and DCM) I stopped going to the club mid-week in the build-up as their sessions weren't what I wanted to do. But as a non-specific base, the club mid-week sessions were quite good, and the surprise of whatever is going on is good for mental fortitude :)

I've only ever made it out to the club long run a few times, the paces are usually a bit aggressive and they aren't not close to home. Good chats though (i.e. talking about running most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

More than Welcome!

November 5th-11th

Monday 5th: As with the few runs I did this week this was done locally. 6 miles @ 8:51. AV HR 127 Max HR 140. Felt nice and comfortable but half way through it I started to feel an ache around the big toe area on the top of my right foot. Didn't think too much about it at the time.

Wednesday 7th: 6 miles @ 8:37. HR AV 125 Max 142. The foot continues to be slightly uncomfortable. It's as if someone stood on a metatarsal in a stiletto! That I can promise didn't happen :pac: It's only sore when the big toe bends backwards relative to the rest of the foot...on the push off of each stride really. I decided to take a couple of days off.

Saturday 10th: I decided to go up to Poppintree Parkrun to get my small few miles for the day done. Kept it all easy except for giving in to the temptation to run fast after 4K...copped on 500m later and slowed down again. PR and the jog home was 3.7 miles at an average of 8:02. AV HR 138, Max 170. 1 mile warm up @ 9:40, AV HR 116. No change with the foot.

Sunday 11th: First kinda longish run...10 miles. Pace was 8:57, AV HR 126 Max 139. Just a very even paced run on a cracking morning...I loved it.

So I'm a bit concerned about the foot. Having previously had a stress fracture in the left foot I am worried this might be the same. I'll make next week one which is low on miles and pace. I have entered the BHAA XC next Saturday and will be there no matter what. Left hamstring still isn't fully over DCM but I can deal with that. It has taken some minding in the form of foam rolling and stretching over the past 18 months to try to keep some flexibility in it after a previous tear. The range of movement in it is a lot less than the right.

Eating and drinking habits have seriously plummeted this past fortnight. Time to get my act together :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hope the toe / foot is nothing serious. Of everyone on here, I'd have thought your mileage increases are the most responsible so hopefully not a stress fracture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Fingers crossed there is nothing bad wrong with the foot. Will you get it checked out?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Fingers crossed there is nothing bad wrong with the foot. Will you get it checked out?

Haha...you know me. If it lingers for more than a month I'll consider it. Either that or if it stops me running. I'm held together with sticky plasters already so one more ailment won't hurt.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hope the toe / foot is nothing serious. Of everyone on here, I'd have thought your mileage increases are the most responsible so hopefully not a stress fracture.

Yeah I'm hoping it might be from overtight lacing. I ran the last 24 miles of DCM with a totally numb right foot. The thing is that I had no problem on the 2 short runs last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Haha...you know me. If it lingers for more than a month I'll consider it. Either that or if it stops me running. I'm held together with sticky plasters already so one more ailment won't hurt.

Suspected as much :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hopefully, its just a niggle and will get better quickly are you icing it etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fair play on DCM, surpassed only by the caricature. :P

Yeah, I've had more biscuits in the past two weeks than I did July-DCM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Frankly, if you have a history of stress fractures and this feels somewhat similar, it's time to get it checked out now and not wait until it gets to the point where it stops you running because these things always cost more in the long run with time off. The best way to avoid injuries is through prehab and prevention as early as possible. The fact that it stopped you running last week means it's more than just another niggle. If it still hurts this week, it's probably time to pull the plug and get it checked out. Otherwise you are just looking for trouble in the longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

How's the toe Sean? Did you get it checked out?

• Advertisement

How's the toe Sean? Did you get it checked out?

No A, I didn't get it checked. I'm of the school that believes that if you put in a lot of hard training and race hard then niggles are possible. First step for me is rest. If that fails I'll look into it further. It's a lot better already. Planning a wee jog on Saturday... unfortunately the XC might be a step too far.

Advertisement