Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    No A, I didn't get it checked. I'm of the school that believes that if you put in a lot of hard training and race hard then niggles are possible. First step for me is rest. If that fails I'll look into it further. It's a lot better already. Planning a wee jog on Saturday... unfortunately the XC might be a step too far.

Shame about the XC but there'll be other opportunities i'm sure? The marathon recovery is a bit of a b*tch really isn't it, seriously makes me question whether it's worth doing one ever again - despite my unfinished business :rolleyes:

I hope the jog on Saturday goes well and foot/toe holds up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    Shame about the XC but there'll be other opportunities i'm sure? The marathon recovery is a bit of a b*tch really isn't it, seriously makes me question whether it's worth doing one ever again - despite my unfinished business :rolleyes:

I hope the jog on Saturday goes well and foot/toe holds up!

Yeah there will be a few more XC I should be able to do. The plan was never to race it hard anyway. The foot feels 99% today thank God. I just don't think it is worth the risk of running off road and in spikes for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Yeah there will be a few more XC I should be able to do. The plan was never to race it hard anyway. The foot feels 99% today thank God. I just don't think it is worth the risk of running off road and in spikes for the first time.

What type of XC shoes do you have? The most popular ones I've seen are an adidas version.

I got the Saucony Havoc XC. Still unworn!! Hahaha.

No real need to log training this week. As planned I did not run during the week until venturing out on Saturday morning to go to Poppintree Parkrun. The rest seemed to have worked as I my toe was back to feeling normal again. However on the short jog up to the run I began to notice it again ever so slightly. I took Parkrun handy and jogged home. There wasn't much more change with the foot. Come Saturday evening it was starting to feel sore on certain movements again so I decided to get to the physio today.

After a bit of feeling around my foot the physio found a point on the extensor hallucis tendon where I had significant pain when she pressed on it. It seems the pain nearer to the toe is referred pain further down the tendon. She worked on it for 20 mins and has given me some exercises for it.

Good news it's not a stress fracture...bad news is a week of not running before going back to have it reassessed next week. I'll be lucky not to be demented by then! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sounds pretty positive S; a little bit of enforced rest may not be the worst thing.

Get the body rested for your PB chasing in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Rest till its right S, aggravating these things sometimes can make them worse. As was said few weeks to heal & recover won’t do you any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I feel your pain! But it's good to hear you went to get it checked out, and terrific to hear it's not a stress fracture and (hopefully?) not anything that will take as long to recover from before you're back on the road!

eyrie wrote: »
    I feel your pain! But it's good to hear you went to get it checked out, and terrific to hear it's not a stress fracture and (hopefully?) not anything that will take as long to recover from before you're back on the road!

My heart sank when I heard her say to come back in a week to see how things are then and if it is ok that maybe I could try a couple of miles after that!! A couple of miles says I....what about Jingle Bells?? Ah that's only 3 miles, never say never was her reply. Here's to hoping.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

• Advertisement

On the phone so I can't multi quote. Yeah B and C, ye are right and I know it myself. No reason for it to derail me much at all. New plan starting shortly and I want to be ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Just wondering S, did she say why this happened? Or is it just one of those things?

Just wondering S, did she say why this happened? Or is it just one of those things?

It could have been one of a few things. I changed shoes 3 times in the weeks leading up to DCM and that may have been a factor. I ran 23ish miles of the marathon with my right foot numb. It may have been that overtight lacing irritated the tendon or that in trying to find a more comfortable way to run that I changed my normal gait. Perhaps I pushed it to its limit in the marathon and the first time I did anything other than a shuffle was the straw that broke the camels back.

So I suppose that makes it one of those things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Good to hear you have found out what the problem is S, and fingers crossed its sorted in no time. I suppose its the best time for it to happen?? (Apart from JB :pac:)

Well I'm glad that week is over! It's the first week since March '17 that I didn't even get one run done. :( Hopefully the visit to the physio next Tuesday will give me the go ahead to get back to it again. I'll be optimistic and bring the gear so that I can go for a run straight afterwards!!

Thankfully the threat of going demented never materialised. Luckily I have found some ways to fill the time that I previously spent running.....unfortunately they all involve food and IPAs :pac:

On the plus side this adding of poundage has me in a great portly shape to take on Jingle Bells....Round! I'll try to run fastish for 2 miles and then lie down and roll down the hill, proper race management :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Fingers crossed for good news at the Physio and hopefully see you on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

How is the foot after the midweek run? Any improvement?

tbukela wrote: »
    How is the foot after the midweek run? Any improvement?

Well after physio I had thought that I was over it but that evening after the run I knew it wasn't totally right. It settled yesterday so I went for another little run this morning and there hasn't been any reaction since. I'll do Jingle Bells on Saturday but not at full pelt. Thanks for asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

No real need to log training this week. As planned I did not run during the week until venturing out on Saturday morning to go to Poppintree Parkrun. The rest seemed to have worked as I my toe was back to feeling normal again. However on the short jog up to the run I began to notice it again ever so slightly. I took Parkrun handy and jogged home. There wasn't much more change with the foot. Come Saturday evening it was starting to feel sore on certain movements again so I decided to get to the physio today.

After a bit of feeling around my foot the physio found a point on the extensor hallucis tendon where I had significant pain when she pressed on it. It seems the pain nearer to the toe is referred pain further down the tendon. She worked on it for 20 mins and has given me some exercises for it.

Good news it's not a stress fracture...bad news is a week of not running before going back to have it reassessed next week. I'll be lucky not to be demented by then! :pac:

I'm glad it was not a bone issue :), and to see you are back to short runs by now.

I had nearly sent a PM to you when I read about your big toe troubles, having had the same thing myself a couple of times. But I forgot about it. It is interesting to see it was the extensor hallucis, that is what seemed to be my trouble too:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101584454&postcount=650

In my case it was very quickly resolved using the "do-it-yourself" routine for foot/ankle on the Gary Crowley site. I didn't even know what was the underlying cause when I started working through the techniques, but it only took a couple of goes over two days to sort it out, it was incredible (especially given how that site is named :rolleyes:, and the 1-2-3 stuff). Here's the link for future use:
    https://www.diyjointpainrelief.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I'm glad it was not a bone issue :), and to see you are back to short runs by now.

I had nearly sent a PM to you when I read about your big toe troubles, having had the same thing myself a couple of times. But I forgot about it. It is interesting to see it was the extensor hallucis, that is what seemed to be my trouble too:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101584454&postcount=650

In my case it was very quickly resolved using the "do-it-yourself" routine for foot/ankle on the Gary Crowley site. I didn't even know what was the underlying cause when I started working through the techniques, but it only took a couple of goes over two days to sort it out, it was incredible (especially given how that site is named :rolleyes:, and the 1-2-3 stuff). Here's the link for future use:
    https://www.diyjointpainrelief.com

That is a great resource, thanks for sharing and makes a lot of sense :) did you try the Achilles ''do it -your- self'' routine

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for that. I'll definitely give it a try. A few days you said...that would be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Baby75 wrote: »
    That is a great resource, thanks for sharing and makes a lot of sense :) did you try the Achilles ''do it -your- self'' routine

Not that one, no. Sure let us know how it goes if you ever end up using it.

Thanks a million for that. I'll definitely give it a try. A few days you said...that would be brilliant!

It really was impressive how it sorted that little issue *and* more than once. Also the value of his 3-stage routines is that they won't have negative effects if it turns out they're not the cure (well, at least as long as you don't go overboard on the press-hold-release etc ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Not that one, no. Sure let us know how it goes if you ever end up using it.

I gave it a go last night :) I felt a difference straight away the front of my shin was tight so it feels much better today as do my hamstrings.

November 26th-December 2nd

Tuesday 27th: After 10 days without a run and no issues with the foot in day to day life I made a second visit to the physio. All went well and I was given the all clear to try a 5k jog on the day and two days later. The question of what I do regarding Jingle Bells was left up in the air dependent on how the 2 runs would go. I went straight home got changed at went out for an easy (albeit with an elevated HR) 5k jog. No reaction or soreness. However by late that evening there was a small bit of soreness.

Thursday 29th: The foot was fine again by Thursday so I ventured out for another 5k jog. Again it went well. No reaction.

Saturday 1st: Jingle Bells day. Bumped into Huzzah, Scotindublin, Rossi07, Sheep and Lazare beforehand as I walked to the start from the Hole in the Wall. Hugely disappointed not to be able to race this too hard but I didn't quite see any real advantage of jogging it. I decided I needed to test the foot under some increased load. What better way to do this than to run with Conor and give him any assistance I could in breaking his PB. I had suggested a schedule which he felt was slightly too weighted towards a big negative split. He said he would aim for 4:15ish KMs to start with and then a slightly faster finish. Partially due to the congested start and in my case down to a lack of recent faster running I found the first Km to be a bit tough. It was 4:28 which felt like 3:58! :pac: Not warming up for fear of hurting the foot probably didn't help! :rolleyes: We ran side by side up Chesterfield and passed 2k in 8:50. Knowing that was falling behind schedule I increased the pace a bit. I wasn't too worried as I knew from last year that big gains could be made in the last mile. C lost a few yards on me but this gap was closed on the OS Road through a combination of a slight slowing and C gritting his teeth. From there on it was just some gentle coaxing to get him to hold a 4 min/km pace to the top of the hill and then let the legs stretch in the last Km. I could tell from the sound effects that he was working hard and he really dug in to get in under his 21 min goal. I have to admit I really enjoy the whole pacing gig, I'll have to do more. Sadly my local Parkrun doesn't have a pacing day.

Myself and J went back to the visitor centre for a bit of salad and cake which was really nice as per usual. Nice to meet aquinn, Murph and annapr there too.

I had known from early in the run that the foot had 'gone' again and it flared up quite badly later in the afternoon. Sunday was uncomfortable too but as I write this it is feeling reasonably good again. I have started the techniques suggested by Hillsiderunner in the post above.

I'm still a bit confused. The soreness and tender spot on the foot obviously inflames quite quickly but equally it settles within 24/48 hours. I have another physio visit on Friday and will hope to get some direction on what to do. All going well and being pain free I will get out for a couple of 5k jogs on Tuesday and Thursday.

December 3rd-9th

Tuesday 4th:
    4.2 miles @ 9:07. HR 134. A fairly nondescript trot around a local loop which meant I was never far from home if the foot got niggly. Thankfully it didn't. :)

Thursday 6th: 5 miles @ 9:20. HR 136. HR was a little skewed as it locked onto cadence for the first half mile. I ran the same loop as Tuesday but in reverse. I added in the short lap of Albert College just to slightly increase the distance. Niggle free again.

Friday 7th: Physio. So she is happy that the injury is under control if not yet fully healed. I have been running little and using exercises prescribed by the physio and some recommended by Hillsiderunner. The combination seems to be improving things. She has said there is no need for a return visit unless it gets appreciably worse. Exercises to continue until the end of January.

Saturday 8th: Poppintree Parkrun. A bit of an eye opener to the fall off in fitness. 21:02 and it was all I had in me. :( The foot was grand throughout but started to be a bit uncomfortable on Sunday. I'm hoping it will be ok for a little 3 mile jog today, Monday. It feels grand now.

Overall it's a good low point to pick up from. I'll just throw out a few figures to help motivate myself and hold myself accountable.....

Weight DCM morning: 11 st 7lbs.
    Weight this morning: 12 st 5lbs.

HR on Tuesday 4.2 miles @ 9:07 pace: 134
    HR 25th October 4.4 miles @ 9:07 pace: 118

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

That’s good news from the physio, what’s your plan for this week?

That’s good news from the physio, what’s your plan for this week?

Hmmm...it was 3 miles on Monday. I'll try 5 on Wednesday and Friday which hopefully will be followed by 6/8 on Sunday. Keeping it all easy and hopefully complete my first 4 day week since DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hmmm...it was 3 miles on Monday. I'll try 5 on Wednesday and Friday which hopefully will be followed by 6/8 on Sunday. Keeping it all easy and hopefully complete my first 4 day week since DCM.

Careful now as I see you want to join the Rahney Sunday long run. EASE back in.

aquinn wrote: »
    Careful now as I see you want to join the Rahney Sunday long run. EASE back in.

That's the plan. Hopefully get 8 miles done. Joining in with the run won't mean completing it. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That's the plan. Hopefully get 8 miles done. Joining in with the run won't mean completing it. ;-)

I know but just watch the pace and don't lose yourself in the excitement of running in a group. All of us can go too fast at times.

Advertisement