Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Interesting......will we be seeing you in the White and Green at the Dublin Masters XC?

aquinn wrote: »
    Careful now as I see you want to join the Rahney Sunday long run. EASE back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Interesting......will we be seeing you in the White and Green at the Dublin Masters XC?

Definitely not. The foot still isn't right. I can do easy running every second day now but that's about all. I'm just trying to manage it at the moment.

Sounds a bit more positive anyway S!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Definitely not. The foot still isn't right. I can do easy running every second day now but that's about all. I'm just trying to manage it at the moment.

Sounds a bit more positive anyway S!

A bit but that's about it...I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to do.

Sounds like a tricky one alright.

No doubt you are sticking to the exercise regime as best you can. It does seem to be going on for a while now though.

Am I right in thinking the Physio said no need for a return visit unless the foot got noticeably worse?

Frustrating considering how well you have been going though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Be very careful I'd say.

When it's going on that long, it makes you wonder about bone stress, especially with the days of rest improving it ..... if it's an early stress reaction I think it's very very hard for a physio to diagnose it (but a week or 10days off might be enough to sort it out).

However, it's only my past experience suggesting that, I have no expertise myself! (just many physio appointments :rolleyes:)

Be very careful I'd say.

When it's going on that long, it makes you wonder about bone stress, especially with the days of rest improving it ..... if it's an early stress reaction I think it's very very hard for a physio to diagnose it (but a week or 10days off might be enough to sort it out).

However, it's only my past experience suggesting that, I have no expertise myself! (just many physio appointments :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the advice. :) I was very worried about bone stress/ fracture initially but less so now. I can feel the tender point on the tendon. However I have decided to pay heed to the advice of 2 wise women and will do my few miles tomorrow on grass and trail in the Phoenix Park rather than risk a possibly too fast road run. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

That must be very frustrating for you skyblue, especially after the hard work you put into your training. When I saw you running on Strava I figured you were on the mend. Would you consider going for an MRI of your leg/foot?

December 10th-16th

Monday 10th:
    3.1 miles @ 9:15 per mile. Average HR 131 (distorted a little by locking onto cadence for a bit early in the run).

Wednesday 12th: 5.2 miles @ 9:22. Average HR 127. More local roads.

Friday 14th: 6.6 miles @ 9:13. Average HR 131. A tour of Marlay Park. It turned into a mini progression run of sorts with the fastest mile being on the most uphill section. Really enjoyed this one.

Sunday 16th: 8.4 miles @ 9:24. Average HR 134. God I just love running in the Phoenix Park. I did this all on grass and mucky trails. Kept it really easy apart from once or twice when I got tempted to sit on the back of a couple of passing groups! :rolleyes: There seemed to be so many out today but in fairness it was idyllic.

I have made the decision to downgrade my foot strain to a niggle rather than an injury. It can get tender after an easy 3 miles but not a reaction to today's 8 miles at all. This was my first 4 run (even if they were slow and short) week since October so I'm delighted with that.

A big thanks to aquinn and Hillsiderunner for their advice. Sometimes it's good to listen to sensible women :pac:

Work parties and a 40th led to this week being one where enough alcohol was consumed to float the Titanic! The next couple of weeks will probably be similar with the usual festivities and a wedding next Friday in Wexford. Looks like I'll be needing a few New Years resolutions!!

A big thanks to aquinn and Hillsiderunner for their advice. Sometimes it's good to listen to sensible women :pac:

Sensible.

:pac::pac::pac:

But thank you.

Glad that you are getting back on track, keep watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Grass is your friend, don't be afraid to work some more into your training even when you don't have any niggles. It builds strength, works your stability muscles and is alot lower impact than the roads. I remember a few years back, Ger Hartmann(recognised as one of the best physical therapist in the world) recommendating that most should do 80% of their running on softer surfaces like grass and trails etc. Look at the kenyans, most if not all of their running is done on dirt roads, Mo Farah's old coach Alberto Salazar has all of his athletes do a mixture of runs from trails, treadmill, track and road and underwater even when they are fully healthy. It's much harder to pick up overuse injuries when you vary surfaces and the benefits are pretty much identical in performance. Might be something to consider going forward.

Oh I love running on grass, or more accurately I love running on grass in the Phoenix Park! It has been a regular in my training but something that lapsed in the lead up to DCM as I took on doing lots of my runs on part of the race route. The Park really is a haven for runners on weekend mornings in particular, an amazing resource that invariably leaves you feeling good.

Oh I love running on grass, or more accurately I love running on grass in the Phoenix Park! It has been a regular in my training but something that lapsed in the lead up to DCM as I took on doing lots of my runs on part of the race route. The Park really is a haven for runners on weekend mornings in particular, an amazing resource that invariably leaves you feeling good.

I'm well jealous, the closest thing we have to the phoenix park around here is a soccer pitch or a GAA pitch if we're feeling brave and want to kick it up to a 400m loop:)

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    I'm well jealous, the closest thing we have to the phoenix park around here is a soccer pitch or a GAA pitch if we're feeling brave and want to kick it up to a 400m loop:)

That's what I'm going to do for my recovery jog later. Endless loops of kids pitches, soccer pitches and Gaa pitches! Not worth the drive to and from the PP for a 2/3 mile jog. It's mind numbing though. :-(

Grass is your friend, don't be afraid to work some more into your training even when you don't have any niggles. It builds strength, works your stability muscles and is alot lower impact than the roads. I remember a few years back, Ger Hartmann(recognised as one of the best physical therapist in the world) recommendating that most should do 80% of their running on softer surfaces like grass and trails etc. Look at the kenyans, most if not all of their running is done on dirt roads, Mo Farah's old coach Alberto Salazar has all of his athletes do a mixture of runs from trails, treadmill, track and road and underwater even when they are fully healthy. It's much harder to pick up overuse injuries when you vary surfaces and the benefits are pretty much identical in performance. Might be something to consider going forward.

For going forward, totally agree. It's good for developing a range of muscles etc in lower leg and foot.

For Skyblue now, he should be careful of too much grass, as I think you're more likely to work those peroneals and related tendons on grass, because of the uneven surface. Main advantage on Sunday I think was keeping him slower.

Given the downgrade to a niggle, hoping our debate is irrelevant :)

For going forward, totally agree. It's good for developing a range of muscles etc in lower leg and foot.

For Skyblue now, he should be careful of too much grass, as I think you're more likely to work those peroneals and related tendons on grass, because of the uneven surface. Main advantage on Sunday I think was keeping him slower.

Ah I love a bit of debate! I think running on flat pitches or the 15 acres in the Park is grand at any time as it is a very even surface. For now I will avoid some of the trickier trails.

I thought it was it was the tendon on top of the foot near the ankle that connects to the top of toes no? The extensor hallucis tendon?

On top of the foot would be more for flexion up and down of the foot(a heel striker or forefoot injury) than stability muscles like the peroneals which keep the ankle stable which would pronation based. I still think grass is the way forward whichever one though as the impact is what causes a rapid jarring motion for either upon impact where the foot has nowhere to go. If I punch a concrete wall with perfect technique, I still break my hand and wrist. if I punch a lawn with sloppy technique, I'm probably going to be better off.

A little like that crash joke you hear, It wasn't the speed that hurt, it was the sudden stop.

I thought it was it was the tendon on top of the foot near the ankle that connects to the top of toes no? The extensor hallucis tendon?

Yep, that is the one. But it's not that far from the ankle and the ankle does move around more on uneven surface.
    In fairness I think my troubles with these various muscles and tendons did come when I was doing hilliness and uneven trails, on top of grass per se. Probably flat well-mowed fields are grand....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Delighted to hear the injury has been downgraded S, hopefully eventually one day you will realise the niggle has disappeared altogether :)

I've had a lot of troubles with the Peroneals this year and last year when the mileage increased during marathon training so i'm very interested in the discussion going on here at the moment. I wonder would running on a running track occasionally be wise? Would it off set some of the load on the joints compared to the road without adding the extra load that grass/trail might add?

ariana` wrote: »
    Delighted to hear the injury has been downgraded S, hopefully eventually one day you will realise the niggle has disappeared altogether :)

I've had a lot of troubles with the Peroneals this year and last year when the mileage increased during marathon training so i'm very interested in the discussion going on here at the moment. I wonder would running on a running track occasionally be wise? Would it off set some of the load on the joints compared to the road without adding the extra load that grass/trail might add?

Maybe a treadmill would help? Gentler than tarmac underfoot (sorry ... :rolleyes:)

That routine by Gary Crowley would be helpful to do when you have peroneals+ niggles causing trouble I think - obviously at a more advanced stage you need to be seeing the physio.

• Advertisement

The fact that I have had no issues after the last couple of runs leaves me in a dilemma as to what to do next. A) Continue with very slow runs on grass, B) Go normal easy pace on grass, C) Very slow on roads, or D) Consider myself healed and resume normal training?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to be listening to sense, whatever gender it’s coming from. Your self-diagnosed injury downgrade seems to contradict your newfound awareness though - there’s nothing “normal” (in my opinion) about what you describe. I’d advise to keep treating your injury like an injury til you have more reliable information to work with. Great that it feels downgradable all the same, but DFIU.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good to be listening to sense, whatever gender it’s coming from. Your self-diagnosed injury downgrade seems to contradict your newfound awareness though - there’s nothing “normal” (in my opinion) about what you describe. I’d advise to keep treating your injury like an injury til you have more reliable information to work with. Great that it feels downgradable all the same, but DFIU.

I get you and agree that too much too soon wouldn't be wise. At the same time though I have to consider that the physio gave me the ok to run unless it got worse which it hasn't. I was also wondering whether an injury like that can just vanish in the manner that all the creaks in my neck regularly do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

That's what I'm going to do for my recovery jog later. Endless loops of kids pitches, soccer pitches and Gaa pitches! Not worth the drive to and from the PP for a 2/3 mile jog. It's mind numbing though. :-(

When I'm on call for work I've to run loops so not to be far from home if I get a call. I find if I just run one circle instead of trying to vary it by running figure 8s, different loops etc I switch off easier doing just one loop and do the work, time goes much faster. Its like when I try to vary it I'm thinking I'm finding this boring and it drags more if you get me. Hope that helps :pac:

When I'm on call for work I've to run loops so not to be far from home if I get a call. I find if I just run one circle instead of trying to vary it by running figure 8s, different loops etc I switch off easier doing just one loop and do the work, time goes much faster. Its like when I try to vary it I'm thinking I'm finding this boring and it drags more if you get me. Hope that helps :pac:

I ended up going with the multiple pitches option! Time passed quickly but it was only 3 miles. :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I have made the decision to downgrade my foot strain to a niggle rather than an injury. It can get tender after an easy 3 miles but not a reaction to today's 8 miles at all.

I hope you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

I ended up going with the multiple pitches option! Time passed quickly but it was only 3 miles. :-))

It might be worth toddling over to Albert College Park. Infinitely more variety for the same space with the warren of paths and trees etc. A subtle difference but it might keep you sane :)

December 17th-23rd

Monday 17th:
    3.1 miles @ 9:41. Av HR 127. A very cautious run on the grass pitches in my local park. I took it particularly handy for a couple of reasons. Firstly that it was a recovery run after my longest run of 8.4 miles in over 6 weeks. It was also the first time I did consecutive days since pre DCM.

Tuesday 18th: 5.2 miles @ 10.02. Av HR 127. A really fun run with J. A recovery run for her after an 18 miler in her Donadea training. Ankle deep puddles and stodgy muck all the way...brilliant!

Thursday 20th: 6.3 miles @ 8:47. Av HR 145. Getting brave! :D....or stupid! A bit of Fartlek running and some strides in Albert College. Really enjoyable to stretch the legs even if it was only for short bursts. Still no reaction from the foot so confidence increasing as a result.

Saturday 22nd: 2.9 miles @ 9:31 HR 132. 3.1 miles @ 8:16 HR 145. We were down in Wexford at a wedding on the Friday so took the chance to do the Parkrun there. To say I was feeling a bit rough was an understatement after drinking more than my share at the wedding. A mix of numerous pints of Guinness, a few red wines, prosecco and many G&Ts (old school, none of those big glasses filled with fruit and a herb garden!) wasn't ideal prep. J wanted to do it as a moderate run so I just tagged along. Tough on the drag, freewheeling on the downhill...flat bits were non existent really.

Sunday 23rd: 10 miles @ 8:37 HR 141. Longest run since DCM. Also the fastest. Made a mess of it. Decided not to look at the watch for the first few miles and ran them too fast for my current fitness level. Then when I did notice the pace I decided to hold it for the rest of the run. Loop was on local roads, all concrete! :rolleyes:

So the first real step up for me. Did back to back days twice, had a 5 run week, did some speed work, did a Parkrun at a faster than easy pace and did my longest run in 2 months. The result? Predictably enough there was a bit of inflammation on Sunday night and Monday. Also had some stiffness in muscles that hadn't been pushed for 7 weeks. I'll do the logical thing after 3 weeks of increasing miles (even if it was from a tiny starting point) and make next week somewhat of a step back week. Better to be taking 2 steps forward and 1 back rather than vice versa I suppose!

At this point Raheny 5 and Trim 10 have been abandoned from my plans. I'll decide on Bohermeen shortly as I have little motivation around the idea of doing it unless I have gotten a half decent block of training done. I don't have much interest in toddling around in 1:40 or 1:45 unless I have someone to pace for the day.

I realise at this stage that it seems like I never shut up but...

Another perspective to play devils advocate is that racing is the best training you can do. It's also the most fun you can have with your shorts on. What's the harm in going out and running as hard as you can even if you aren't quite in the shape to better your pb's? You can use those as stepping stones back presuming you are fully over your injuries when the races are on, Bohermeen is what mid-march? That ages away yet anyway and you'll be suprised how quick most of the fitness comes back. Something I've learned through vast experience of coming back from layoffs is that it's best to look for progress and not old peak fitness and racing even when not in the best shape can provide that. Just because it's not a PB doesn't mean you can't take solice and pride in your performance and the progress being made.

• Advertisement

I realise at this stage that it seems like I never shut up but...

Another perspective to play devils advocate is that racing is the best training you can do. It's also the most fun you can have with your shorts on. What's the harm in going out and running as hard as you can even if you aren't quite in the shape to better your pb's? You can use those as stepping stones back presuming you are fully over your injuries when the races are on, Bohermeen is what mid-march? That ages away yet anyway and you'll be suprised how quick most of the fitness comes back. Something I've learned through vast experience of coming back from layoffs is that it's best to look for progress and not old peak fitness and racing even when not in the best shape can provide that. Just because it's not a PB doesn't mean you can't take solice and pride in your performance and the progress being made.

Oh I don't mind you going on...all contributions gratefully received with the notable exception of trolls! ;-)

I get what you are saying. Very probably as the date gets closer and I can run without worry I will change the way I am thinking.

Advertisement