Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Great stuff S, I noticed you didn't do Raheny this year so out of interest I checked your time from last year ( I'm no Ted Bundy honest ) and it was the exact same time I done it in this year. So hopefully I'll have a similar year this year as you had last year

Yep I noticed the time as soon as I saw it on Strava. I was going to comment but I didn't want to put pressure on you to do a 3:16 marathon :pac: But now that you have brought it up I can say that your younger legs should manage 3:10 :D

Just stick with your training plans, run consistently and keep the easy days proper easy and you'll make amazing progress this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well done S, nicely predicted!!!!

coogy wrote: »
    Well done S, nicely predicted!!!!

Wrong week to do it though. The next race in 2 weeks is a race where you predict your finishing time. The winner is the person closest to their estimate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

Yeah when I seen that time I was like 3.16 can go and feck off :D Good to see you join a Raheny, you'll be a member of the sub 3 club this year I take it ;)

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Yeah when I seen that time I was like 3.16 can go and feck off :D Good to see you join a Raheny, you'll be a member of the sub 3 club this year I take it ;)

I won't! That would first of all require running a marathon and that won't be happening this year. Haha.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I won't! That would first of all require running a marathon and that won't be happening this year. Haha.

You planning on being there as a spectator?

coogy wrote: »
    You planning on being there as a spectator?

The only thing I will commit to is McGrattans!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

The pressure of the elusive 3:16 perhaps 
    [font=arial, sans-serif]For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. ... [/font]
    Or survive a marathon I think it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nice going Sean, not where ya want to be but something to work on now. Those races that Raheny run are great way to gauge progress.

Or regression, in some cases. ;)

February 4th-10th

Monday 4th:
    Rest Day

Tuesday 5th: 6 miles @ 9:34 HR 124. I just felt like a few very easy miles even though the plan was for 5 miles at easy pace. This was mainly because I was up at 2:30am for a 3:30am start in work every day that I was running this week. Tiredness was definitely an issue all week. I'm off Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week so can recharge the batteries.

Wednesday 6th: Raheny Winter League 3 mile race. As mentioned already I did it in 19:50...not great but definite progress so I have to be happy with it. I had my first experience of Raheny post race cuppa and cake. It was badly needed after getting soaked on my cooldown.

Thursday 7th: Plan was for 5 easy miles but a few real life things came up and I had to give it a miss.

Friday 8th: Planned rest day but did the run planned for the previous day. 5.6 miles @ 8:46 HR 135. Nothing strange or unusual except for the wind. It was behind me most of the way so I can't complain.

Saturday 9th: Session day. 15 min @ 7.40 pace (3 min jog) 3x45 sec hard (60 sec jog) 5 min @ 7.15 (3 min jog) 4x30 sec hard (60 sec jog). Paces for the 15 and 5 mins were 7:36 and 7:12. In control at all times even if the section of the loop I used which were into the wind caused a bit of an increase in effort. Very enjoyable little session with plenty of pace changes.

Sunday 10th: 12 miles easy with 20 second surges at the start of each of the last 5 miles. I'm not sure if it is the sessions on Saturdays, the surges, the wind or my early starts in work but the last couple of easy 12 milers didn't feel as easy any 12 milers last summer. The weekends running has to be of benefit to me though. Happy to have tired legs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm not sure if it is the sessions on Saturdays, the surges, the wind or my early starts in work but the last couple of easy 12 milers didn't feel as easy any 12 milers last summer.

You are a completely different runner to the one you were in the summer - chalk and cheese I think.

You've a lot more quality in your runs now, and a lot more consistency - so you will get fatigued more - this cumulative fatigue is the secret sauce. The recovery days are what binds it to make it nice and sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What AMK said.......

Dunno how many time I've said to L that I felt a bit ragged towards the end of my long run. It's definitely part of the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Like the lads said, the sessions and cumalative fatigue probably plays a big part in that I'd say. Sessions as well as making your legs a little more tired will also use up a good chunk of glycogen so your stores won't be as full heading into a long run meaning they will start running low quicker than if you done an easy Saturday run hence the tiredness towards the end.

It's like we were discussing on AMK's log, how the smaller details interact to form the bigger picture.

Thanks for the input lads. The plan for the first few weeks is to work on endurance so I was fully expecting to be feeling more heavy legged than I had previously been. It has been a really enjoyable time back on a plan and I am loving it in a challenging sort of way.

February 11th-17th

Monday 11th:
    Planned rest day

Tuesday 12th: 6.1 miles @ 9:38. HR 143. While the plan said 6 miles easy a combination of circumstances, weather and plain simply wanting to do a little hill run saw me doing an hour in Tibradden and Cruagh woods. The steep uphill struggle fairly drained the legs to be fair but it was worth it. Definitely something I'll continue to throw in from time to time.

Wednesday 13th: Session. Warm up and cooldown brought the mileage to 8.3 miles. 3x3 min @ 6.45 (75 sec rec), 4x90 sec @ 6.45 (60) 3 min jog, 4x30 sec hard (60 sec rec). I was very fearful about this as the legs were feeling the previous day's hill run. As it turned out it was a great workout. I generally hit the paces and my focus on bounce and control (sounds like an ad for a hairspray that I'll never need) had me feeling great during the intervals. Happy out! Paces 6:41/44/41 for each 3 mins, 6:33/44/44/30 for the 90s and 6:05/5:46/5:52 and 5:28 for the 30s

Thursday 14th: 5.4 miles @ 8:54 HR 129. Can't remember much except that the legs were feeling it. Quads from Tuesday's downhills, glutes from the up hills and calfs from Wednesday's speed session....

Friday 15th: Planned rest day

Saturday 16th: After finishing work at midday I had to head down to Mullingar to watch the youngest lad play for St Pats College in the QF of the Leinster Senior Colleges Brother Bosco Cup against Marist College from Athlone. He played well, scored a couple of points and set up 2 goals. Into the semis now after a good win.

I decided to do my run near there as I wouldn't have made it back home before dark. I pulled in between Mullingar and Kinnegad and ran on the Royal Canal way...a really nice place to run. It was very windy and exposed but it was a side wind in both directions so it didn't affect paces really. The plan...20 min @ 7.15 (3 min jog) 5x20 sec hard (60 sec jog). The actual...20 min @ 7.12 and paces for the hard bits of 4:55/5:18/5:08/5:12 and 4:56. Yes I know 20 seconds doesn't allow Garmin to be accurate but they were hard and I was in control...kinda. The miles before and after brought the total to 8.3

Sunday 17th: 12 miles easy (5x20 sec surges in 2nd half of the long run) HR 137. As with last week the legs were heavy but not as bad as before. The one concentration I had on this one was to drop straight back into easy pace after the surges. I think on previous runs I was guilty of doing them a bit hard and then recovering a little before settling into easy pace again.

So that's 4 weeks on plan...each about 40 miles or 6 hours. It's nice to get some consistency after a couple of interrupted months.

It's unlike you to tire your legs out the day before a session!

It's unlike you to tire your legs out the day before a session!

It was done on impulse! Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great few weeks S well back on track.

February 18th-24th

Monday 18th: Planned rest day.

Tuesday 19th: 6.2 miles @ 9:04 HR 129. I headed over to the PP for this one. I'm making a point of trying to get a couple of runs in on grass each week. The mid morning time meant it was more quiet out than usual and it was beautifully tranquil...one of those days where low cloud seems to dampen sound. Blissful and very easy paced.

Wednesday 20th: Raheny Winter League 2 mile race. Last months race ended with a time of 12:56/7 (can't remember) and that was my benchmark tonight. I remembered my splits the last time were about 6:40 and 6:16 so my plan was to take it out a bit faster and see if I could hold it. Lap 1 this time was about 6:19 and I was feeling ok. Kept it steady all the way around the 2nd lap and finished strongly. 2nd mile was 6:08 so overall I was happy. Things are definitely going in the right direction. Did a couple of miles cooldown with MurphD and C afterwards before heading in for a quick cuppa. I took possession of my first ever club vest...now the question is when to wear it? :pac:

Thursday 21st: An eminently forgetful local loop. 6.2 miles @ 9:08. HR 123.

Friday 22nd: Planned rest day

Saturday 23rd: A step back session in a step back week. 3 sets of 30,40,50 sec hard (60 sec recovery) 3 min between sets. 2 miles warm up and cooldown. The instructions here were for the hard bits to be hard but never to lose form. I ran them pretty hard, as hard as I could without going into the red but all the time repeating points in my head...shoulders relaxed, push off, good knee lift, don't strain too much! It worked. :) The day was ended perfectly with a trip to Croker with 2 of my sons after which we went for a nice bit of Thai grub and a few IPAs :D

Sunday 24th: I decided to head down to Raheny to suss out the Sunday morning distance group. There were about 30/35 there on a lovely morning for running. Unfortunately 28/33 were either too fast for me or like training at fast paces! (There is a subtle difference). Luckily enough after the first mile I fell into the company of HelenAnne from these parts and she was planning to run at the pace I was. I introduced myself and had 9 more miles of enjoyable chat. I was particularly interested in a thread she has started about a times table for female runners. It's an interesting topic....and could yet be controversial ;) HelenAnne turned off after 10 miles and I did a couple more to reach the planned 12. It was done at a very comfortable 8:40 pace, HR 133

On the whole it was a very enjoyable and encouraging week. Now I just sit and wait in anticipation of my weekly email with the plan for the week ahead. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas...sad but true! :pac:

Now I just sit and wait in anticipation of my weekly email with the plan for the week ahead. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas...sad but true! :pac:

Does the email self-destruct after 5 seconds? :D

• Advertisement

Re the singlet, generally the rule seems to be, if it's a race and you're racing, wear it - unless it's a BHAA race (where some wear it, but most don't, as technically you are representing your workplace, not your club). And of course parkruns. I've seen singlets there, but I'd consider it a mistake (unless it's a club 'takeover' of the event, when it's OK).

Clear enough, right? :D

Murph_D wrote: »
    Re the singlet, generally the rule seems to be, if it's a race and you're racing, wear it - unless it's a BHAA race (where some wear it, but most don't, as technically you are representing your workplace, not your club). And of course parkruns. I've seen singlets there, but I'd consider it a mistake (unless it's a club 'takeover' of the event, when it's OK).

Clear enough, right? :D

Clear as muck! :pac: I'll wear it in Bohermeen if I'm racing it. If not I'll definitely wear it at the MSB 5k.

skyblue46 wrote:
    On the whole it was a very enjoyable and encouraging week. Now I just sit and wait in anticipation of my weekly email with the plan for the week ahead. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas...sad but true!

I know how you feel. Haha

February 25th- March 3rd

Monday 25th:
    Planned rest day.

Tuesday 26th: Another nondescript loop on local roads. 6.3 miles 8:48 HR 130

Wednesday 27th: 7.1 miles including warmup and cooldown. Session was 1,2,3,2,1 min @ 6.45 pace (60 sec recovery) 4 min jog, 1km @ 6.20 Used a local 1 mile loop for this...comfortable and controlled all through...if only all sessions were like this.

Thursday 28th: Over the the Park for this. I couldn't imagine a week without a run in the Phoenix Park! Forgot the heart rate strap so have no info on it. Felt really easy yet it was my fastest easy run in months. 6.3 miles @ 8:34. All on grass.

Friday 1st: Planned rest day

Saturday 2nd: Session. Did this around Snugborough area as I was over at the NSC to see my young lads team bow out at the semi final stage of the Leinster Colleges Senior championship. He played poorly, so did the team and they lost by 4 points. A team perfect for dry summer days were found out by lashing rain and gales. The session was 15 min @ 7.40 pace (3 min jog) 3x45 sec hard (60 sec jog) 5 min @ 7.15 (3 min jog) 4x30 sec hard (60 sec jog). Overall it was really comfortable though the strong wind made some bits easier than they should have been and other bits were harder work.

Sunday 3rd: Long run. 12 miles with 5*20 sec strides included. I set off at a little after 6 as I needed to be in work for 10 today. Once again the legs felt it after the Saturday. Headwind on the coast in Clontarf was a fooker! 12 miles @ 8:47 HR 132.

So next Sunday is a big day...first time to wear a club vest. Coach reckons I'm ready to race it...but I'm not sure at what target pace. I'll trust him to suggest a pace. I'm prepared to fail to hit the target or to find it too comfortable...I'll wait to see what it is! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Sub 90 surely knowing Coach?

Sub 90 surely knowing Coach?

I'd be surprised after 7 weeks training! I'm conflustered a bit. I did 1:34 a year ago and 1:33 when I thought I could do much better in August on the back of good training... Long term plan is 25ish in September. I'd take a 34 now...

I'd be surprised after 7 weeks training! I'm conflustered a bit. I did 1:34 a year ago and 1:33 when I thought I could do much better in August on the back of good training... Long term plan is 25ish in September. I'd take a 34 now...

If you run a 34 I’ll be very impressed indeed, and the coach will be giving up the day job. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

And you’re sandbagging as usual, sub 90 now then 1.23ish in September. Always back yourself!!

Murph_D wrote: »
    If you run a 34 I’ll be very impressed indeed, and the coach will be giving up the day job. :p

Thank you...I love a dose of realism! I mean that most sincerely. I'm getting a bit fed up of being expected to hit unrealistic targets!! ;-) I know you know I was doing the runner thing of omitting the hour!

• Advertisement

And you’re sandbagging as usual, sub 90 now then 1.23ish in September. Always back yourself!!

Oh spare me!!!

Advertisement