Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Oh spare me!!!

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sound.

I just know where I am at right now and it's not sub 90.. Been there, tried it, failed and I'm not in that shape now....it will happen by a considerable margin but it won't be in Bohermeen. I get your point and it's a topic that has been exercising my mind particularly in relation to female boardsies but that's for another day! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    So next Sunday is a big day...first time to wear a club vest. Coach reckons I'm ready to race it...but I'm not sure at what target pace. I'll trust him to suggest a pace. I'm prepared to fail to hit the target or to find it too comfortable...I'll wait to see what it is!

I'll be interested to see if he suggests a target pace. I'm not sure he will!

I'll be interested to see if he suggests a target pace. I'm not sure he will!

If he doesn't... I'll firstly cry, very loudly....then work it out.

skyblue46 wrote:
    If he doesn't... I'll firstly cry, very loudly....then work it out.

Haha trust yourself. You know what pace you should run to ease into the race and then let the race dictate where to go from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck on Sunday. Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best Sunday S, remember if it gets cold all those sandbags your running with will keep you warm!!! Run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck on Sunday S!

Best of luck with it. Remember to keep the main thing the main thing...... The main thing being............... I'm not sure.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

G'luck S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good luck on Sunday :) no doubt you will smash it and enjoy it

Thanks folks but no heroics being attempted. Hopefully just put down a good solid run.

Best of luck with it. Remember to keep the main thing the main thing...... The main thing being............... I'm not sure.......

The main thing is to ease my way into the year and have fun at a few races. Not limping around on sore legs for a week before MSB 5k would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Good luck Sunday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck tomorrow S! Hope you enjoy it (as much as possible ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

See you for a ham sandwich tomorrow Sean! Looking like a nice Scottish morning for it.

March 4th-10th

Monday 4th:
    Planned rest day.

Tuesday 5th: 6.4 miles easy locally. 8:50 per mile. HR 130

Wednesday 6th: 2 mile warm up, 1 mile @ 7.10 pace , 3 min rec, 3x2 min @ 6.45 (90 sec), 2 mile cooldown. A nice easy 'session' of sorts. I did this on a loop I have started using for sessions. It's relatively flat, a mile nearly to the yard and only involves crossing 2 minor roads. Paces were 7:08, 6:43,6:43 and 6:43 :) All was ticketyboo!

Thursday 7th: 6.4 miles. Same loop as Tuesday. 8:49 per mile. Forgot HR strap :(

Friday 8th: Planned rest day

Saturday 9th: 3 mile shakeout with a few 20 second strides. The 4th very windy run of the week.

Sunday 10th: Bohermeen Half Marathon

Apologies in advance..this could be a long one!!! Why? For many reasons. Firstly it's the usual race report, secondly I'll probably throw in a few details that only coach might pick up anything from and thirdly to ramble a little bit. :D

I was looking forward to this as a chance to get back to the buzz of these type of races, I love them. I was a bit nervous too in that I was wearing the Raheny vest for the first time and didn't want a blowout on the day. Things didn't get off to a great start when I realised I had left my runners at home. Luckily I had packed another pair which I had planned to change into afterwards. They aren't ones I generally like for longer runs but on the day they were grand. Mileage and intensity in training has been quite low so coach suggested a 7:15 pace so as not to go into the red early in the race and to kick on if I could later in the day. Caught a brief word with Craig who is looking a damn sight meaner and leaner than last June. He ran a great race as it turned out. Pre race prep involved staying in the community centre hiding from the snow until it cleared and then jogging the km or so down to the start. I didn't get as close to the front as I would have liked as its a narrow road and I was one of the last to leave the warmth of the Community Centre :pac:

Miles 1-3 It was a very congested start and I didn't do a great job of cutting my way through it. Looked at the watch at half a mile and it ticked through 4 minutes. I made a huge mistake here of chasing back to target pace too quickly. I still got through the first mile in 7:09! Looking at HR data afterwards I hit my race long high of 170 here. So much for taking it easy early on. I caught up with Coogy here and had a grand chat for a couple of miles. These clocked in at 7:16 and 7:08. I felt really easy and tipped along at this pace.

Miles 4-6 7:10,7:15 and 7:19. Turned into the wind on the Athboy road and thankfully it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Met up with Michael C from Trim on this stretch and had a bit of a chat. He was planning a 7:20/7:25 MP run to pace a club mate so after a few minutes I moved on again. The social aspect of the day continued shortly after as I found myself running alongside another Raheny runner who ended up winning the F50 category. We did on course introductions and had a little chat. Congrats to her on a very solid run. Shortly after this I saw J giving me a shout from the roadside and taking my new Strava profile pic!

Miles 7-11 This was where the first change in my day happened. What had been a chatty tempo run started to feel hard. There is a slight drag after you turn right off the back road onto the long start/ finish road and I felt it. My slow start meant I had failed to do as coach suggested and find a group to run in. I had been moving through the field, on pace yes but very exposed to the elements. When I got onto the straight I saw a little group ahead and made the effort to bridge the gap, thankfully successfully as it would have been a long second lap without them. They seemed to be running exactly the way I wanted to be. They weren't getting carried away by the downhill/ downwind straight and tipped along at 7:09 pace for both of the easier miles. The 2 pace setters were from Lucan Harriers and were running really well. The group swelled to about 12 as others took more advantage of the elements and caught up to us. After about 9 miles the group thinned back down to 5 as we hit the cross winds. The two lads from Lucan continued to set the pace with myself, a Bohermeen runner and R from Raheny tucked in. In terms of effort it was feeling like miles 18-22 of DCM for me...a tough but steady run, catching people and nobody making it back to the group. Mile 9 was 7:13. Shortly after this one of the Lucan lads turned around and made a comment about feeling used and abused! :pac: It was a fair comment but none of the 3 of us moved past them. We then hit a slight downhill before the Athboy road, I felt good and thought it might be time to pick the pace up for home. I was also guilted into doing a turn! :eek: Turned right onto the Trim Road and sweet Jesus it was like hitting a wall! A bit later the watch beeped for a 7:15 10th mile.

Miles 11-13.1Phase 3 of the race. Absolutely horrible! I was committed. I felt I owed the lads a decent stint at the front. I'd pick a runner ahead and push to catch him before tucking in behind for shelter, then the next one and the next one...too much effort, too hard! I pulled over and the 2 Lucan runners came through again. I got in behind them but was fooked! Saw Niamh's hubby Paul here again and he gave another shout from the roadside. I hadn't the energy to reply. This mile was a 7:37.....7:37 of grief and wondering why I was running a HM off zero HM training!! Our little group of 5 split to bits here. One of the Lucan lads and R moved ahead and the other 2 fell behind. Could I have hung on? Maybe. Maybe not. Long story short I just concentrated on making it home without slowing too much. 7:21 and 7:13 for the last 2 miles and a 6:22 pace for the last bits shows clearly there was no kicking on at the end :o Chip time 1:34:59

Afterwards I said a quick goodbye to Coogy who ran a super solid PB, met Browneyes and congratulated her on a super sub 1:45 PB....another step on the way to realising her full potential ;) I also got a quick hello with Baby75 after her comeback HM run, a very successful one. Missed Sheep afterwards but congrats on the continued improvement. Very impressive and well deserved pal. I also have to say that running in a Raheny vest leads to lots of on course support. They had a small but very vocal crew in attendance and even though none of them know me yet they gave me great shouts and congrats afterwards.

A quick walk over to get a picture of the plaque commemorating the opening of the track. I had been unaware that my dad had performed the opening in 2006....a great NACA man and a great NACA club!

So...my thoughts....I suppose the "meh" comment on my Strava reeks of negativity. In the aftermath there was a bit. Some people's perceptions of my runs last year led to them making sandbagging conclusions :cool: but I never did really. I simply exceeded my expectations. This time I guess I kinda hoped it would happen like magic again. What I got was a good run considering the lack of running in November and December and the gradual build up I have been doing. I have no goal races ahead. I will run plenty of races but for the next few months most will probably be slower than last year. Short term pain for long term gain and all that. :D Next week is the MSB 5k...it won't be a PB or close to it. Running a HM in Bohermeen is not in any training manual for 5k running 8 days later. It's just my little bit of support for AMK and WW's club, both of whom gave so much support to me as mentors in 2017 and on the threads since then. Once again I will love the buzz of the build up, the race and meeting friends old and new! Thanks for getting this far....if anyone did! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great analysis there S. Good to see you having a strong run after a slow recovery from DCM. As you know yourself there'll be many better running days ahead but that was still a solid run for where you are right now, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great report Sean and nice debut in the Raheny colours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great report S, also great running :D I think the wind was stronger on the second lap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Still a great run given the conditions I think :)

Nothing wrong with racing to build fitness either tbh.

Nothing wrong with feeling a bit meh after a race. I was similar to you after Dundrum. I got what I expected instead of what I hoped. Although the initial meh feeling with the time quickly passed.

Plenty to come from you. Nice report.

Fair play for taking your turn at the front. I'm not sure I would have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great effort Sean all things considerd and loads more to come for you this year. Imagine a couple of years ago thinking a sub 1.35 1/2 would be a bit of a meh run. Back smashing PBs in no time.

Good to see you again yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Well done on Sunday and a great read. The new Strava pic in the club vest is a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Very well done Sean and a great report. Some running. Great to see you running strong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Loved reading your report Sean, you had a great run with no HM training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That report is a great read, well done. Nice running too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Your race reports always make for fascinating reading! Enjoyed running with you yesterday, well done again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoyed reading that. Congrats on a fine Shamrock debut! Imm familiar with the post race 'meh!' feeling and I understand where you're coming from - but like you say, little specific training, so a solid enough result.

One thing puzzles me though - the early race chit chat. Maybe you are exaggerating it. but any talk at all during a race ups the effort levels if you ask me. (I almost fell out with a former clubmate after asking him to stop talking to me during a race.) Might this have contributed a little to later difficulties - as well as the weather, of course?

Must have been interesting to come across the info about your dad too. A decent day, all told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh, and I love the bit about forgetting the shoes. I always use the away marathon tip - wear race shoes so you don't lose or forget them. Lucky escape!

Advertisement