Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Have a look at the pace calculator on the grads plan and look at the race time predictor. 7:00-7:15 would seem to be ultra conservative in my eyes.

Yeah, I checked that out alright but was semi-freaked out at the thought of running sub 7 minute miles for a 5 mile run. I need to have a chat with myself.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

coogy wrote: »
    Yeah, I checked that out alright but was semi-freaked out at the thought of running sub 7 minute miles for a 5 mile run. I need to have a chat with myself.......:rolleyes:

Yep, you really do! :pac: I'd be thinking that there wouldn't be much between us (if you haven't already passed me by) and that you could easily run the pace that I could.

See you in Terenure on Sunday.....its a cracking 5 mile.

It is alright. I only ran it 2 years ago when going sub 40 was an achievement for me! I do however remember that the last half mile is a tough little drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

I shall see you there for the post race pretzels and cakes

Rossi7 wrote: »
    I shall see you there for the post race pretzels and cakes

Make sure to leave me some!!

• Advertisement

Sure you'll be finished before myself, hopefully improve on Raheny and dip under 33. I'll be sober this weekend and not hungover as I was for the National 5K

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Sure you'll be finished before myself, hopefully improve on Raheny and dip under 33. I'll be sober this weekend and not hungover as I was for the National 5K

Dipping under 33 gives you a better than average chance of having first crack at the sandwiches! :P Especially as there won't be a hangover or a sore calf.

Sandbagger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

May try pop down there on Sunday to give yiz a whistle.

May 7th-12th

Tuesday 7th:
    A short and easy run after the tempoish 10k the day before. 4.1 miles @ 8:41 HR 125

Wednesday 8th: I resurrected a staple race week session from the grads plan, 6*1 min @ VO2 Max. Paces were hit which is hardly too difficult for a few 60 second bursts! :pac:

Thursday 9th: 7.1 miles @ 8:46. Was stuck for a route and denisb's run popping up on Strava made my mind up to do the same route. Pleasant run.

Friday 10th: Planned rest day

Saturday 11th: A couple of miles and 5*20 second strides.

Sunday 12th: Tererure 5 Mile: One of the better races on the calendar and I was really looking forward to it. Being aware that I'm not as fit as last year I told a few of the '17 grads that 33 mins was my target....a bit slower than my 32:12 PB but I felt it was a fair target.

I got over to Terenure good and early and got a quick chat with ReeReeG, aquinn, scotindublin and annapr. A quick change and off to Bushy Park with one of the Raheny lads for a quick warmup. On the way to the start I met rossi7 who I noticed eyeing up the target he had placed on my back :pac: I got a place about 10 rows back from the front at the start. It turns out that not many of them should have been anywhere near the front.

Mile 1: My plan was to run as close to possible to 6:36 per mile and aim for 33 mins. I was also determined to limit the watch watching! :rolleyes: The start was a mess with many runners out of place. It was probably near half a mile in before I got clear space. It was a lovely downhill section but I made sure to keep it steady at the start. Along this stretch I rolled past rossi7 and two of the clubs masters women's 2nd placed team HelenAnne and AA. Congrats to that team on yet another prize. Mile time was 6:34

Mile 2: No watching paces which I found out afterwards turned out to be a mistake. I heard the different sound of racer shoes hitting the road as a lady came alongside me. I didn't see a face or a club vest but did notice they were sky blue coloured Saucony racers. Anyway, I felt good so decided to run shoulder to shoulder. This mile was the uphill mile, into the breeze and it clocked in at 6:31...enough said...well not quite, it turns out I also hit my max HR here! Gob****e! As an aside I saw Raycun walking back the course here and gave him a shout. He said he was ok. I hope there's no injury and it was just a bad day.

Miles 3 & 4: The downhill and flat miles. These were meant to be where I 'd pick up the pace but I couldn't. As mentioned above I now know why! Nothing much to report other than I was hanging on but at the same time passing people but not being passed. Weird! 6:40 and 6:35. Two lads were about 75m ahead of me, Mick C from Trim and G from Dunboyne (quickfeet from here). Both have faster times than me but still a target is a target.

Mile 5: This was all about survival, nothing else. I noticed I was closing in on the 2 lads but hadn't the legs to really chase them. It was a case of fighting like fook just to keep the pace the same. With half a mile to go Mick had pulled ahead of G and I caught G with about 600m to go. He gave me great encouragement to kick on but I was one paced at this point. I got to within 5m of Mick with about 150 to go and he kicked like a mule on steroids. He put 6 seconds into me between there and the line :eek: 6:21

Chip time 32:40. Position 127/1249 5/69 M50

Back to the school for cakes, bars, tea, coffee, fruit, bread and biscuits. Yes, you read that right....not a sandwich in sight!! :( A few little chats, a few claps for the prize winners (which included my beloved, 2nd in her age category) and the time had come to venture back into the sunshine.

A great race, brilliant on course support from Murph and some of the Raheny regulars, plenty of grub....congratulations and a big thanks to all involved from the host club. It's a race to be proud of.

Next stop is the Bob Heffernan...19:40 goal and looking forward to country race sandwiches...proper homemade triangles. I can't wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I like the way you ran that race to be honest S. I know you weren't all that happy but the splits are so solid. You didn't fall off the pace which indicates strength and base phase has worked well. Some fine tuning and peaking will have you in a good position later in the year. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great to see a fellow club mate putting you in your place S!!! Solid racing as P said, your sneakily getting there. Keep it going!!

I Was looking forward to this report to get a sense of what's in store for me in a couple of weeks!

Really great, strong solid running!!

Great running Sean and great to see you again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Mile 1: My plan was to run as close to possible to 6:36 per mile and aim for 33 mins. I was also determined to limit the watch watching! :rolleyes: The start was a mess with many runners out of place. It was probably near half a mile in before I got clear space. It was a lovely downhill section but I made sure to keep it steady at the start. Along this stretch I rolled past rossi7 and two of the clubs masters women's 2nd placed team HelenAnne and AA. Congrats to that team on yet another prize. Mile time was 6:34

Mile 2: No watching paces which I found out afterwards turned out to be a mistake. I heard the different sound of racer shoes hitting the road as a lady came alongside me. I didn't see a face or a club vest but did notice they were sky blue coloured Saucony racers. Anyway, I felt good so decided to run shoulder to shoulder. This mile was the uphill mile, into the breeze and it clocked in at 6:31...enough said...well not quite, it turns out I also hit my max HR here! Gob****e! As an aside I saw Raycun walking back the course here and gave him a shout. He said he was ok. I hope there's no injury and it was just a bad day.

Miles 3 & 4: The downhill and flat miles. These were meant to be where I 'd pick up the pace but I couldn't. As mentioned above I now know why! Nothing much to report other than I was hanging on but at the same time passing people but not being passed. Weird! 6:40 and 6:35. Two lads were about 75m ahead of me, Mick C from Trim and G from Dunboyne (quickfeet from here). Both have faster times than me but still a target is a target.

Mile 5: This was all about survival, nothing else. I noticed I was closing in on the 2 lads but hadn't the legs to really chase them. It was a case of fighting like fook just to keep the pace the same. With half a mile to go Mick had pulled ahead of G and I caught G with about 600m to go. He gave me great encouragement to kick on but I was one paced at this point. I got to within 5m of Mick with about 150 to go and he kicked like a mule on steroids. He put 6 seconds into me between there and the line :eek: 6:21

Chip time 32:40. Position 127/1249 5/69 M50

Back to the school for cakes, bars, tea, coffee, fruit, bread and biscuits. Yes, you read that right....not a sandwich in sight!! :( A few little chats, a few claps for the prize winners (which included my beloved, 2nd in her age category) and the time had come to venture back into the sunshine.

A great race, brilliant on course support from Murph and some of the Raheny regulars, plenty of grub....congratulations and a big thanks to all involved from the host club. It's a race to be proud of.

Great report! And that's a great time! Way under 33 and not a million miles from your PB. And very well done to your partner too!

Also, you did indeed 'roll' past me :) - you looked so relaxed!

Along this stretch I rolled past rossi7 and two of the clubs masters women's 2nd placed team HelenAnne and AA. Congrats to that team on yet another prize

Amazingly*, since two of us are in our 40s and two in their 50s (!!) we were second placed Senior team, rather than Masters. (Sadly, not running as Masters meant we didn't win back the giant Masters' cup we won last year and had to give it back :rolleyes:)

Well done again - I love that race - always nice and warm, nice samba band, good field etc. great day!

*ETA the 'Amazing' bit of that team win wasn't me - it was a one of our O50s coming 5th overall in the women!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well raced S, that last mile is really impressive, you dug in when the going went beyond tough :eek: Congrats to J on her podium finish also, she's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Well done Sean, I love reading your reports!
    Tell J I said congratulations, I think she's amazing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sounds like a well run race to me! They're very solid splits and you were still able to pick it up for the last mile despite feeling the pain at that stage. Congratulations to J!
    Thought of you when I saw the lack of sandwiches in the hall afterwards! :D

eyrie wrote: »
    Sounds like a well run race to me! They're very solid splits and you were still able to pick it up for the last mile despite feeling the pain at that stage. Congratulations to J!
    Thought of you when I saw the lack of sandwiches in the hall afterwards! :D

I thought I might have seen you yesterday but you vanished into a doorway as I got ready to shout. Do you have a good head of curls compared to what I would have seen in the pub after DCM? I wasn't sure if it was you with the glamorous long flowing tresses! :D

I thought I might have seen you yesterday but you vanished into a doorway as I got ready to shout. Do you have a good head of curls compared to what I would have seen in the pub after DCM? I wasn't sure if it was you with the glamorous long flowing tresses! :D
    Ha, glamorous long flowing tresses doesn't sound like me! In my dreams, maybe...

I can't remember what it was like after DCM except presumably shoved under a headband, but yes, definitely lots of curls yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ha, glamorous long flowing tresses doesn't sound like me! In my dreams, maybe...

I can't remember what it was like after DCM except presumably shoved under a headband, but yes, definitely lots of curls yesterday!

You had curls after DCM also, that's how I recognised you one morning down running along the canal! S must have been a few beers in by that stage :P

Ah then I did see you dive into a doorway just to the right as I entered the school hall. As I figured it was probably ladies changing rooms I thought it best not to loiter outside.....I've been arrested for less! :pac:

ReeReeG wrote: »
    You had curls after DCM also, that's how I recognised you one morning down running along the canal! S must have been a few beers in by that stage :P

Definitely possible seeing as I had quite a head start on the day :D

Definitely possible seeing as I had quite a head start on the day :D
    Show off! :P

I'll have to up my glamour game for McGrattan's this year so, since I won't have been running for several hours before getting there. Might go crazy and even manage a shower this time! :pac:

Monday 13th May: 6.3 miles @ 8:53 HR 128. I decided to do a little more than my usual Monday. The main reason was that there was no usual post race tiredness or stiffness in the legs. I still can't fully figure out what happened yesterday with HR maxing out after less than 2 miles at a pace nearly a minute per mile slower than recent mile races and 30 secs per mile slower than 2 mile races. Whatever it was it prevented me from really hurting the legs. No time for trying to figure out why, I'll just put it down as one of those things.

The run itself was on a usual loop. I did it in reverse to the way I normally do it just cos I'm mad like that. :pac: Absolutely brilliant weather which is much better to jog in than race in :D

Tuesday 14th May: So I flipped and flopped from planning to doing a club session tonight to doing 2/3 easy miles and then reached the point of deciding to stay on the couch! Half an hour later I decided the 2/3 miles was back as the plan. Off I headed to the local park and did 2 leisurely laps as I watched the various Tolka Rovers underage teams training. It was a glorious evening. I decided not to waste such a fine evening and to continue the jog up to Poppintree Park for a lap before making it home. That would be a nice 6 miles. However when I got to within a half mile of home I didn't feel like stopping so I diverted again down to the Albo for a lap. This too was full of life....soccer, hurling, football and even a bit of cricket practice going on. Plenty of students from the adjacent DCU milling about the place as well. I eventually got home after 9 miles. I was enjoying it so much I'd probably still be out only that I have to get to bed early as I'm in for my third 3.45am start in a row at work tomorrow!! 9.1 miles @ 8:54 HR 127

3:45am start? Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

... still can't fully figure out what happened yesterday with HR maxing out after less than 2 miles at a pace nearly a minute per mile slower than recent mile races and 30 secs per mile slower than 2 mile races.

I’ve read a few times in a few different places that you should never look at HR during a race. There’s too much going on - excitement, nerves, adrenaline etc - and there’s also the possibility that the reading is just wrong. Train by HR yes, race (maybe) not.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I’ve read a few times in a few different places that you should never look at HR during a race. There’s too much going on - excitement, nerves, adrenaline etc - and there’s also the possibility that the reading is just wrong. Train by HR yes, race (maybe) not.

Oh don't worry, even I wouldn't race by heart rate! It was something I noticed afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Tuesday 14th May: ........I was enjoying it so much I'd probably still be out only that I have to get to bed early as I'm in for my third 3.45am start in a row at work tomorrow!! 9.1 miles @ 8:54 HR 127

So, you're unlikely to be there at the crack of dawn on Friday so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I suppose the general point is not to attach any significance to it at all. Unless you’re sure it’s reliable and noticeably different from previous experiences?

Advertisement