Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Murph_D wrote: »
    I suppose the general point is not to attach any significance to it at all. Unless you’re sure it’s reliable and noticeably different from previous experiences?

Some significance during training. I've used HR for years. From my rowing days we used hr zone training and I adapted this later in life to bike, running.

Its a reference, at best a training control (running within capped heart rate for base training etc..). I wouldn't take much notice of any one training session especially with wrist based hr readings. Over time you should know your resting, max and zones. If a bit more scientific, your aerobic and anaerobic thresholds (I had these tested in a lab).

However, come race day the main thing is to race on feel. You don't need training indicators to tell you if you have started too fast or a hill has pushed you into the red zone and you need to back off after its done...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

juke wrote: »
    So, you're unlikely to be there at the crack of dawn on Friday so?
    You off somewhere exciting J?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So, you're unlikely to be there at the crack of dawn on Friday so?

You are right and correct! :) I'm off tomorrow and Friday...I hope you are going somewhere nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You are right and correct! :) I'm off tomorrow and Friday...I hope you are going somewhere nice?

Me too :) Middle of nowhere in Greece.

Hopefully I'll muster up enough energy to log proof on strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Me too :) Middle of nowhere in Greece.

Hopefully I'll muster up enough energy to log proof on strava.

Greece is wonderful for running, as long as you’re prepared to get up early and avoid the heat. Was impressed at the (free to use) municipal running tracks in some towns, despite the country being on its knees in recent years. Love everything about Greece in fact!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 15th May :Rest Day

Thursday 16th May: A great day for a bit of running in the Phoenix Park. The plan for the day was simple enough....a couple of miles to warm up, a short sharp bit of VO2 Max repeats, a couple of miles cooldown before meeting J for 5/6 recovery pace miles.

All went to plan. I did 2*300, 500, 2*400 and 600 @ VO2 Max. Paces were 5:49, 5:49 for the 300's, 5:53 for the 500, 5:54 and 5:58 for the 400's and 6:03 for the 600. Jogged recoveries of 80 seconds. I did a couple of miles easing down as I made my way back to the visitor centre to meet J. She wanted to do a few miles at 10.30-11 min/ miles after the race on Sunday and a session yesterday. It suited me down to the ground! Along the walls of the Aras, a lap of the polo pitch, over to the top of the Kyber before following the trails through the trees and down around the Magazine Fort. After that it was around the acres and back to the visitor centre and a gorgeous bowl of granola, yoghurt and fresh berries washed down with a super strong coffee :)

13.2 miles for the day, a nice mix of paces and done a few days early with Bob Heffernan in mind. It's not a target race so I'll get out the next few days as well.

A quick random question for anyone who might feel they have anything to contribute. I want to do a HM plan to lead up to a HM in the Autumn but the weekends I have to work means I can't do Charleville and the 18 week plan I had planned to loosely follow. The only 2 weekends open to me are the last weekend in August and the 21/22nd of September. A quick glance at myruntesults calendar would show I could do the Tullamore Quinlan Cup on the first weekend or the Race Series Half on the 21st of September. Target is to move heaven and earth to go sub 1:30. So one means reducing to a 14 week plan and the other has Military Road at mile 12. Which gives me the best opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

By last weekend in August do you mean 25th?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

A quick random question for anyone who might feel they have anything to contribute. I want to do a HM plan to lead up to a HM in the Autumn but the weekends I have to work means I can't do Charleville and the 18 week plan I had planned to loosely follow. The only 2 weekends open to me are the last weekend in August and the 21/22nd of September. A quick glance at myruntesults calendar would show I could do the Tullamore Quinlan Cup on the first weekend or the Race Series Half on the 21st of September. Target is to move heaven and earth to go sub 1:30. So one means reducing to a 14 week plan and the other has Military Road at mile 12. Which gives me the best opportunity?

Personally myself I think 18 week plans are to long, for me, I get stagnant and bored with a plan of that length. I’d go with Tullamore because of that, but as has been discussed on the sub 3 thread it’s what suits you best S? Longford is normally end of August to?

All boils down to what your used to plan wise, as in what length you feel works best for yourself. Course wise i’d imagine there’s not a whole pile in the difference elevation wise.

By last weekend in August do you mean 25th?

Sorry, no the 31st Aug/ 1st September.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Personally myself I think 18 week plans are to long, for me, I get stagnant and bored with a plan of that length. I’d go with Tullamore because of that, but as has been discussed on the sub 3 thread it’s what suits you best S? Longford is normally end of August to?

All boils down to what your used to plan wise, as in what length you feel works best for yourself. Course wise i’d imagine there’s not a whole pile in the difference elevation wise.

I was just looking at the Hansons Half Marathon Method. I've never tried any plan apart from the Novices and Grads plans. It's 18 weeks but I could jump in at week 5. Tullamore definitely interests me more as it would be a new race for me and it's an excellently organised event by all reports.

I was just looking at the Hansons Half Marathon Method. I've never tried any plan apart from the Novices and Grads plans. It's 18 weeks but I could jump in at week 5. Tullamore definitely interests me more as it would be a new race for me and it's an excellently organised event by all reports.

Do Amsterdam in October, know a lad who has a free bed for weekend......

Yeah Tullamore is suppose to be top notch, a race I unfortunately never ran before moving. Can’t see any issues with you jumping in at week 5 of the plan S off your background.

Do Amsterdam in October, know a lad who has a free bed for weekend......

Yeah Tullamore is suppose to be top notch, a race I unfortunately never ran before moving. Can’t see any issues with you jumping in at week 5 of the plan S off your background.

Just Googled it....sweet Jesus now I'm tempted!! :pac::pac:

skyblue46 wrote:

Nice ten miler in cork that weekend. I agree with B. 18 weeks is much too long and you don't need it to be honest. Pity about Charleville.

Just Googled it....sweet Jesus now I'm tempted!! :pac::pac:

100% serious about a bed, be good to have someone to travel up with on the train that morning.

Nice ten miler in cork that weekend. I agree with B. 18 weeks is much too long and you don't need it to be honest. Pity about Charleville.

A 10 miler in Cork or a couple of nights in Holland....hmmm....now let me ponder that :pac: Time to start earning brownie points :D

skyblue46 wrote:
    A 10 miler in Cork or a couple of nights in Holland....hmmm....now let me ponder that Time to start earning brownie points

Could help B out with his route into the red light too ;)

He’s the right age profile alright from what I see there.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Roscommon on Sept 1st. Ros Go Run, coincidentally it got a mention in the Events forum earlier today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

ariana` wrote: »
    Roscommon on Sept 1st. Ros Go Run, coincidentally it got a mention in the Events forum earlier today too.

But then again Holland Vs. Roscommon lol

• Advertisement

He’s the right age profile alright from what I see there.......

What's a red light? Traffic related? :confused:

ariana` wrote: »
    But then again Holland Vs. Roscommon lol

Roscommon loses! Now I have to convince J that maybe the best place to spend the last weekend of her DCM taper is Amsterdam!

Roscommon loses! Now I have to convince J that maybe the best place to spend the last weekend of her DCM taper is Amsterdam!

So the options are:

Tullamore Half - Potential of meeting BIFFOS!!

Race Series Half - How many times have you ran in the Phoenix Park at this stage.....

Some Half in Roscommon - Seriously only good thing in Roscommon are roads out of it.....

Amsterdam Half - Free accommodation, nearest pub 30secs away, host cooks a mean breakfast, weekend away earns brownie points, plus the Amsterdam route is flatter than pancakes!!!

:pac::pac: You should be a salesman not a postman!!!

Flights 62-67 euro, race entry 31 euro.... Tempted only barely expresses my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

There are shorter HMM plans: https://finalsurge.com/TrainingPlans/List/Hansons/Plans/HalfMarathon

Yeah there are lots of plans I could try....but I bought the Hanson book haha

skyblue46 wrote:

I'll coach you if it means you'll send back pics of the district (which I hear means you're likely to be thrown into the canal)....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

They are Hanson plans - the branding has just changed due to a split in the camp. Just a suggestion anyway; I'd be more swayed by the weekend away option myself :D

I'll coach you if it means you'll send back pics of the district (which I hear means you're likely to be thrown into the canal)....

You really want pics of a HM route?

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    They are Hanson plans - the branding has just changed due to a split in the camp. Just a suggestion anyway; I'd be more swayed by the weekend away option myself :D

Likewise.....the plan, if there will be one, has become secondary! :pac:

Advertisement