Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Congrats on the Pb and great race..
    I might take that target off my back next time tho !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great stuff S. More in you for sure. There's a million ways to race these things so nothing wrong with the approach, if you had been more aggressive who knows, you could have been swimming in lactic and run a 5min last km. Well done on a great run. Aggression will come with confidence and that's definitely growing.

Yes P that's a very fair point and one which I think can't be disregarded. Not getting the 5k pain might just be because I handled the pace right to the edge of tipping over. I certainly don't believe it means that there is a big chunk just waiting to fall off that time just by running a 3:48 first Km.

quick feet wrote: »
    Congrats on the Pb and great race..
    I might take that target off my back next time tho !!

There's only 2 ways to do that....don't go out too fast or go out much faster and get out of sight! :pac: Well done on your race too. That sub 19 doesn't come easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nice run. 3:31 last km and the "not 5k tough" descriptor bode well for future 5ks ;)

healy1835 wrote: »
    Nice run. 3:31 last km and the "not 5k tough" descriptor bode well for future 5ks ;)

Thanks J, much appreciated. I know it's a fine line between properly tough and 5k tough but next time I'll see if there is room to push it a bit without crashing and burning. Or maybe crashing and burning is part of the learning process...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks J, much appreciated. I know it's a fine line between properly tough and 5k tough but next time I'll see if there is room to push it a bit without crashing and burning. Or maybe crashing and burning is part of the learning process...:rolleyes:

I'm firmly on that learning curve myself......slowly getting there. Very slowly in fact as I wont get better at 5k's by not racing them, and I couldn't tell you when I might run another one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

The 5k is a distance is a race that requires a mix of practice, speed and endurance just like the marathon, I know a lot of people here struggle with it and it's gained a notorious reputation but it's really not that bad and doesn't have to be a laboured struggle from start to finish if you've prepared right. The reason a lot of people struggle with it is because most people are marathon runners who don't touch on intensities higher than 5k pace like sessions of 200's at mile pace and 4/800's at 3k pace. Some people even race 5k's off nothing faster than tempo runs and wonder why the pace feels so damn fast and hard from the gun. if you aren't doing faster than race pace work, you are like a diesel engine with a low rev limiter(you can hold a certain pace all day but you don't have the comfort or range to rev any higher compared to say a petrol engine which is less economic per gallon but can sit below the limiter at that pace). for any distance, you need to combine the best of both these to get the best results and for 5k, that's a hearthy diet of speed work that's faster than race pace and good old endurance work. Even right now as I write this, there's a bunch of Kenyan marathoners starting up training for the Autumn marathons 5 months away who are running Diagonals, 200m reps at mile pace and 1'min on/off fartleks at 5k pace. The result of this kind of faster than race sessions is that turnover is faster and people feel sharper which makes race pace more comfortable so it is not unusual when training with those faster pace sessions to actually become more comfortable during a 5k race. Some people may be pure marathoners and may never feel truly comfortable with 10/5k pace like some 5k/10k runners might never truly feel comfortable with mile pace but your body is highly adaptive to training(a lot of people here might remember not being able to run a mile comfortably when they started running but now look, the needle for 5k speed and comfort moves too when you train for it and faster). It's like the mirror image of why people are confused about why easy miles benefit race pace, there is nothing truly pinpoint specific in training, your body exists on a spectrum where if you hit something, the vibration affects everything else along it. The real trick is to find the recipe of really fast stuff and really slow stuff and all that lies in between to fit the distance you are racing and nothing should be totally neglected ever. Marathoners should do sprint and very fast training as well but less often than 5k guys just like milers should do long runs but shorter than marathoners.

I'm not really replying to anyone here but it's something I see a lot of in these logs about the 5k and it's a feeling that can be really improved by the right prep for the distance you are racing.

Well done on the race btw before I forget;). Super running, the pacing will come together with experience and expermintation, my only tip would be to not be afraid of blowing up every now and then just to see where you are, it might work and you run a blinder or it might fail and hurt but you'll have learned a lot either way. Getting closer to those big race podiums;)

Good to see you still around here man. Your points, as per usual, are very well made and make total sense. Thanks.

As for podium...a chance went abegging last night. Mick C from Trim who finished a couple of seconds ahead of me in Terenure won it last night and even 7 seconds faster would have nabbed a podium. It was a weak night for the M50s with 4 M55 actually quicker than the 50s winner.

So what are you up to yourself runningwise? Are you getting out at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

A few M50 podiums coming your way over the summer I reckon! Big push for sub 19 in Kilcock now!

A few M50 podiums coming your way over the summer I reckon! Big push for sub 19 in Kilcock now!

When is Kilcock on?

• Advertisement

June 28th a Dunshaughlin 10k sub 40/Kilcock 5k sub 19 double
    When is Kilcock on?

It would be a sweet double alright but not likely. I'm working 7pm on the Friday until 7am on the Saturday of Kilcock. I'll do it but a great result not very possible.

Think Kilcock is the Friday sounds like you will be working.....big effort in Dunshaughlin then
    It would be a sweet double alright but not likely. I'm working 7pm on the Friday until 7am on the Saturday of Kilcock. I'll do it but a great result not very possible.

Think Kilcock is the Friday sounds like you will be working.....big effort in Dunshaughlin then

My mistake with dates. I'm off the Friday but will be doing the 12 hour night shift before. Home at 7.30, a few hours kip and out to bang in an 18:59 5k....easy peasy haha.

18:50 no messing; need to give yourself a bit of leeway
    My mistake with dates. I'm off the Friday but will be doing the 12 hour night shift before. Home at 7.30, a few hours kip and out to bang in an 18:59 5k....easy peasy haha.

Not sure if you have signed up yet but got a text in the club Whatsapp to say there was only 200 places left for Dunshaughlin

Not sure if you have signed up yet but got a text in the club Whatsapp to say there was only 200 places left for Dunshaughlin

Thanks Craig. I signed up last night. Looking forward to getting my orange tee shirt! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Another Boards meet up on the cards!

Possibly. Swashbuckler is going anyway. Now there's a challenge for you!! Not sure who is doing Clonee and who is doing Dunshaughlin amongst other Boardsies.

Been trying to convince AMK. Davey is a possibility. Ray usually does it?

• Advertisement

That was Swashbuckler replying to you by the way S. Haha

That was Swashbuckler replying to you by the way S. Haha

Haha...missed that! What a dope! A lot of the Cru gang will be doing the Docklands race and are unlikely to race both within a few days.

Let the battle for the egg sambos begin!

OOnegative wrote: »
    100% serious about a bed, be good to have someone to travel up with on the train that morning.

This could really be a goer! I'd be looking at flying over on the Saturday and home on the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Slowly making my way through all the race reports around here at the moment - it's tough work! :D
    Brilliant performance from you S, hope you're still smiling from it. A PB and you didn't even have to work too hard for it, amazing.

eyrie wrote: »
    Slowly making my way through all the race reports around here at the moment - it's tough work! :D
    Brilliant performance from you S, hope you're still smiling from it. A PB and you didn't even have to work too hard for it, amazing.

I think I might have underplayed the effort level! I might have managed to keep it at that 99.99% level that prevented me going over the edge. It was far from easy! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Good to see you still around here man. Your points, as per usual, are very well made and make total sense. Thanks.

As for podium...a chance went abegging last night. Mick C from Trim who finished a couple of seconds ahead of me in Terenure won it last night and even 7 seconds faster would have nabbed a podium. It was a weak night for the M50s with 4 M55 actually quicker than the 50s winner.

So what are you up to yourself runningwise? Are you getting out at all?

Getting out? Yes;). Running? Nah. I've got an ever worsening case of calvo Irrepairableo to give it it's pseudo-scientific term, my goose is cooked and passed it's sell by date in layman.

Fusitive wrote: »
    Getting out? Yes;). Running? Nah. I've got an ever worsening case of calvo Irrepairableo to give it it's pseudo-scientific term, my goose is cooked and passed it's sell by date in layman.

Nothing? Not even jogging? Is the prognosis that final? That's terrible!

As for getting out....life is for living, enjoy it, have no regrets. :D

Thursday 23rd May: Planned rest day.

Friday 24th May: 7.2 miles @ 8:37 HR 127. A few easy miles at the usual 8:50/9:00 pace before picking it up to test out some of the paces for the Hansons HM plan over the last couple of miles (8:06, 7:06).

Saturday 25th May: Unplanned rest day. Totally buggered after 3 mornings of getting up at 2.30am. Also had a meal and pints to go to in the evening. I had an hour window to get a run done but felt it would do more harm than good.

Sunday 26th: After missing yesterday I felt I should liven the run up a bit. First thing was to try to hit a pace in the middle of the Luke Humphrey long run paces for me (7:31-9:01). The second was to work the hills and take it easy on the flat and downhills. I did a route that included miles 2-10 of DCM with a few tacked on at either end. Did a slight progression from the quays to Castleknock College battling the incline and wind all the way, eased and was blown downhill until Chapelizod gates before working at a nice pace up St Laurence's Road, eased through Kilmainham before going back into the park before a steady run up the Khyber into a bloody gale!! I loved the change up from the usual long run plod. 14.2 miles @ 8:16 HR 141

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

That long run sounds familiar :)

Great workout finishing up Khyber. Well done.

Advertisement