Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    That long run sounds familiar :)

Great workout finishing up Khyber. Well done.

Yeah I realised afterwards that it was the run I did with yourself and C back in 2017. It's a good training run. I'll be back for more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Haha...missed that! What a dope! A lot of the Cru gang will be doing the Docklands race and are unlikely to race both within a few days.

Eh what? the Cru gang should be marshalling and volunteering at the Docklands 5km and not racing!

aquinn wrote: »
    Eh what? the Cru gang should be marshalling and volunteering at the Docklands 5km and not racing!

Well then ye'll all be itching to race. I got an email this morning saying there were only 75 places left in Dunshaughlin.

Sunday 26th contd. : :D After posting to the log on Sunday evening I finally made my mind up on my target HM for the year. In a decision made much easier by the selling skills of a certain poster I chose Amsterdam :p Race entered and flights booked so it's all systems go :D

Monday 27th: 4.4 miles @ 9:01 HR 126. A few recovery miles around Johnstown Park.

Tuesday 28th: 7.3 miles @ 8:37 HR 130. In a week of predominantly easy miles this was just another day among many. Local loop, smashing evening.

Wednesday 29th: 5.3 miles @ 9:11 recovery. HR 122 Nothing to report.

Thursday 30th: 7.3 miles @ 8:56 HR 123. More of the same

Friday 31st: Rest Day

Saturday 1st: A session. The first one I have done in a while so I didn't try the 12 repeats that are in Hansons plan but settled on doing 10. Pace was to be 5k pace which equates to 93 seconds per 400m. I decided to do the recoveries at my normal easy pace rather than a walk or shuffle of a jog. All went really well with splits of 91,91,91,90,91,91,91,91,91 and 88 seconds. A 3 mile warm up and a touch over 3 mile cooldown brought the mileage up to 10.6 for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Those splits are fairly impressive. The 90 sticks out like a sore thumb ... and then you see the 88 :D

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Those splits are fairly impressive. The 90 sticks out like a sore thumb ... and then you see the 88 :D

It was actually 90.8 but Strava drops the decimals :D The 88 was just a bit of exuberance at getting the session done. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    It was actually 90.8 but Strava drops the decimals The 88 was just a bit of exuberance at getting the session done.

I'm all for the last rep in a session like that going all out. Nice one S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nice session that Sean, might be a big one come 20th of October to for both of us all going well........

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nice session that Sean, might be a big one come 20th of October to for both of us all going well........

Well I have to admit I can't wait for the whole experience. To finish in an Olympic Stadium....should be great even if the half isn't the big gig of the day.

Well I have to admit I can't wait for the whole experience. To finish in an Olympic Stadium....should be great even if the half isn't the big gig of the day.

Yeah looking forward to it big time now, starting & finishing in the Olympic Stadium should be some experience. Sampling some IPA’s at the Lokaal for you as I type.....

• Advertisement

Yeah looking forward to it big time now, starting & finishing in the Olympic Stadium should be some experience. Sampling some IPA’s at the Lokaal for you as I type.....

Haha.. that is most kind of you! Above and beyond the call of duty.

Sunday 2nd: Long SLOW run. 14.2 miles @ 8:59 HR 135. A beautiful morning in the Phoenix Park but a horrible run :pac: From the very first steps I was just feeling beaten up. This often happens to me but I usually get going after a couple of miles. Maybe it was the heat, maybe humidity or maybe just the price of yesterday's session but the bottom line is that this was a slog from beginning to end. I suppose it's one of those runs that it is good to get in the bank for the longer term. I crossed paths with WW and Scotindublin who both seemed to be moving much easier than I was....even if C was running downhill at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

You should have seen me going up the Kyber!

Sunday 2nd: Long SLOW run. 14.2 miles @ 8:59 HR 135. A beautiful morning in the Phepoenix Park but a horrible run :pac: From the very first steps I was just feeling beaten up. This often happens to me but I usually get going after a couple of miles. Maybe it was the heat, maybe humidity or maybe just the price of yesterday's session but the bottom line is that this was a slog from beginning to end. I suppose it's one of those runs that it is good to get in the bank for the longer term. I crossed paths with WW and Scotindublin who both seemed to be moving much easier than I was....even if C was running downhill at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

You should have seen me going up the Kyber!

Oh Matron! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

The juvenile streak in my forced me to post that; reminds me of one of our sessions on there about 18 months ago.......afterwards one of the lads said "It was going well until X broke me up the Kyber" bloody hilarious!

Monday 3rd: Planned rest day.

Tuesday 4th: Plan 6 easy. Actual 6.24 miles very easy @ 8:54 HR 120. Copied a little 6 mile route I saw Damo do the night before. Very gentle run.

Wednesday 5th: Session Day. Plan was 5 mins @ 6:30, 2 mins jog, 4*1 min @ 6:10 (90 secs), 4 mins @ 6:30, 3*1 min @ 6:10, 3 mins @ 6:30 to be bookended by 2 miles each of warm up and cooldown. I made a mistake in setting up the watch after the 3*1 mins so ended up doing 3*3 mins and a single one minute interval. So it ended up that I did the 5 and 4 mins @ 6:25 and the 3 mins intervals @ 6:25, 6:19 and 6:21. The one minute reps were at 6:10, 6:06, 6:10, 6:10 and 6:10. Really enjoyed getting back into a session again...improvement needed on Garmin set up.

Thursday 6th: Plan 6 easy. Actual 6.3 easy @ 8:45 HR 129. Local roads, nothing of significance to report.

So the time came to make a decision as to whether to race or train. I had been thinking of doing the IR 5, Dunshaughlin and Kilcock as well as the club summer league. This was my intention at the start of the year, to race for fun. Thing is that I have realised that while I can enjoy this hugely I can't really deal with the results. It's illogical I know but irrespective of training or lack of specific training I get annoyed at times which are slower than I know I can do. The decision is to train. I'll do Dunshaughlin but the sights are firmly set on Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Tuesday 4th: Plan 6 easy. Actual 6.24 miles very easy @ 8:54 HR 120. Copied a little 6 mile route I saw Damo do the night before. Very gentle run.

Wednesday 5th: Session Day. Plan was 5 mins @ 6:30, 2 mins jog, 4*1 min @ 6:10 (90 secs), 4 mins @ 6:30, 3*1 min @ 6:10, 3 mins @ 6:30 to be bookended by 2 miles each of warm up and cooldown. I made a mistake in setting up the watch after the 3*1 mins so ended up doing 3*3 mins and a single one minute interval. So it ended up that I did the 5 and 4 mins @ 6:25 and the 3 mins intervals @ 6:25, 6:19 and 6:21. The one minute reps were at 6:10, 6:06, 6:10, 6:10 and 6:10. Really enjoyed getting back into a session again...improvement needed on Garmin set up.

Thursday 6th: Plan 6 easy. Actual 6.3 easy @ 8:45 HR 129. Local roads, nothing of significance to report.

So the time came to make a decision as to whether to race or train. I had been thinking of doing the IR 5, Dunshaughlin and Kilcock as well as the club summer league. This was my intention at the start of the year, to race for fun. Thing is that I have realised that while I can enjoy this hugely I can't really deal with the results. It's illogical I know but irrespective of training or lack of specific training I get annoyed at times which are slower than I know I can do. The decision is to train. I'll do Dunshaughlin but the sights are firmly set on Amsterdam.

Have you decided on a plan for Amsterdam S or will you follow a specific plan do you think?

ariana` wrote: »
    Have you decided on a plan for Amsterdam S or will you follow a specific plan do you think?

L is at the controls of the mother ship! :D

L is at the controls of the mother ship! :D

Ah right, i thought you were on your own again for some reason, that's great news, I'm delighted to hear it. I hope the training goes well, looking forward to following your progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Fantastic! We can all swap stories in McGrattans on the 27th!!!! :D

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    Fantastic! We can all swap stories in McGrattans on the 27th!!!! :D

The only stories worth listening to in McGrattans will be DCM stories. Everything else is secondary that day!

Friday 7th June: Plan was 4 miles and 4 X 20 second strides. Actual 5.1 miles. This is because I have recently been ensuring that my HR is back to pre stride level before I do the next one. Lovely easy running and I felt a real bounce in my step.

Tough weekend ahead with a session and a long run both following 8am-6pm shifts. I'm not sure which scares me most...running fast after being up at 6am or running long after being up at 6am!

The only stories worth listening to in McGrattans will be DCM stories. Everything else is secondary that day!

You haven’t come to Holland yet.......

You haven’t come to Holland yet.......

No, but no matter what I do there Mc Grattans is all about DCM stories!

No, but no matter what I do there Mc Grattans is all about DCM stories!

You run a PB in Amsterdam your more than entitled to bend an ear or two in McGrattans.

Saturday 8th: Session day. The plan had me down to do a 25 minute tempo, 10 minutes at 7:00 min pace, 5 at 6:40 before returning to 10 minutes at 7:00. It all went swimmingly well. The first 10 mins was very comfortable and ended up at 6:56 pace. The next 5 mins was controlled and came in bang on pace at 6:40. I started off a bit fast on the last 10 mins and tried to steady it a bit after that without dropping the effort level below tempo effort. It ended up at 6:49. Warm up and cooldown brought the total to 9.1 miles....too much of both but I want my long run tomorrow to take me over 50 miles for the week. :pac:

Sunday 9th: 14 mile easy. I still haven't worked out paces as my watch went on a meltdown. I had it fully charged this morning but when I put it on to go out for the run it was powered off and out of battery. I charged it to 30% which is normally good for 30kms but after 11 it beeped to warn me of low battery. I saved the run at that point and restarted the watch. 7k later it did the same and again I saved that bit. 1.1k later and it totally switched off. It left me a bit to do to reach my planned 14 miles but knowing all the distances of local loops meant I could finish it close to plan. Not sure if FR220 batteries can be replaced. If not it might be time for a new timepiece.

The run itself...the polar opposite to last week which was torturous. This was handy. Legs felt good, pace easy. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I just can't bring myself to give you kudos for all 4 parts of that run, you'll have to make do with the two :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I just can't bring myself to give you kudos for all 4 parts of that run, you'll have to make do with the two :)

Grinch! :p

• Advertisement

Sunday 9th: 14 mile easy. I still haven't worked out paces as my watch went on a meltdown. I had it fully charged this morning but when I put it on to go out for the run it was powered off and out of battery. I charged it to 30% which is normally good for 30kms but after 11 it beeped to warn me of low battery. I saved the run at that point and restarted the watch. 7k later it did the same and again I saved that bit. 1.1k later and it totally switched off. It left me a bit to do to reach my planned 14 miles but knowing all the distances of local loops meant I could finish it close to plan. Not sure if FR220 batteries can be replaced. If not it might be time for a new timepiece.

The run itself...the polar opposite to last week which was torturous. This was handy. Legs felt good, pace easy. Happy days.

My watch (235) started dropping charge a couple of months back also. I rang support and they offered to replace it for £80 stg because it was out of warranty. I ended up just buying a new one altogether.

Advertisement