Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    My watch (235) started dropping charge a couple of months back also. I rang support and they offered to replace it for £80 stg because it was out of warranty. I ended up just buying a new one altogether.

£80 just to replace the battery :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

skyblue46 wrote: »
    £80 just to replace the battery :eek:

Just buy a battery online and look a youtube video!!

Monday 10th: Planned rest day

Tuesday 11th: Plan 6 miles easy. Actual 6.4 miles easy @ 9:03 HR 125. A regular loop in the Park starting at the Hole in the Wall, down along the trails to Knockmaroon gate and back across the plains, around the 15 acres and back to the start. Was great to get a nice easy run done and even better that it was all on tracks or grass, very enjoyable. I had been letting my easy runs get a bit faster but I think in or about 9 min miles is about right for now seeing as I'm doing 2 sessions a week and a slightly faster 'easy' on long runs.

Just buy a battery online and look a youtube video!!

I thought of that but so far I can't find a video for the FR220 or 225. :(

I thought of that but so far I can't find a video for the FR220 or 225. :(

Bring it to a local watch shop and see what they can do?

There is good deals on new ones out there so that might be a better option if you have the money.

• Advertisement

Bring it to a local watch shop and see what they can do?

There is good deals on new ones out there so that might be a better option if you have the money.

Looking at the Garmin range online at the moment. I'll try the watch shop, good idea. I love the watch and it does exactly what I want it to do. Ironically it is fine today.

Looking at the Garmin range online at the moment. I'll try the watch shop, good idea. I love the watch and it does exactly what I want it to do. Ironically it is fine today.

Also look at amazon in germany and france etc, dcrainmaker can have links to good deals also!

Also look at amazon in germany and france etc, dcrainmaker can have links to good deals also!

There are decent deals on the 235 to be found alright. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have you updated the software recently? I had similar issues with a phone before and it was a software issue.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Have you updated the software recently? I had similar issues with a phone before and it was a software issue.

That's a possibility. I take the updates all the time. It's the 3rd time this year where I have come back to a discharged watch a matter of hours after it being fully charged. The rest of the time it discharges at a normal rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

In the gear and equipment section someone has a 235 up for sales for €150 ONO if it's costing €80 for a battery

Wednesday 12th: Session day. 5*3 mins @ 6:30 off 60 secs, 5*1 min @6:10 off 60 secs. Warm up and cooldown brought the volume up to 8.8 miles. It was a lousy day out there for this time of year. This one turned out a little tougher than expected. The 3 minute repeats were grand with paces of 6:28,6:25,6:25,6:24 and 6:20. Then came the faster 1 minute repeats which coach suggested would be a little sting in the tail....they were! Paces were 5:57, 6:10, 6:08, 6:06, and 6:01. I did the first one too fast but the first 3 were fine. The 4th one was into the breeze and it certainly took more effort than the others to hit the pace. I probably should have eased off a bit. All in all a good session.

The cooldown was the most exciting part of the run. I had a difference of opinion with a driver as he drove through a just turned red light and I crossed on a red man. :( He braked in time thankfully. :D As he drove past me he roared a string of colourful invective in my direction. I smiled, waved and introduced him to my middle digit. On I jogged until I noticed he had pulled in 400 yards down the road. As I got close to the car he opened the door and came running across the road at me shouting that he'd break that fookin finger of mine and every other bone in my body! :eek: He was bigger, stronger and a lot younger than me. Problem? No! He couldn't run very fast due to the vast bulk of his steroid boosted muscles :D So I ran quickly around him introducing him to my full repertoire of hand gestures :pac: So for anybody wondering what the pace spike in the middle of my cooldown on the Strava graphs is....that's the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

The cooldown was the most exciting part of the run. I had a difference of opinion with a driver as he drove through a just turned red light and I crossed on a red man. :( He braked in time thankfully. :D As he drove past me he roared a string of colourful invective in my direction. I smiled, waved and introduced him to my middle digit. On I jogged until I noticed he had pulled in 400 yards down the road. As I got close to the car he opened the door and came running across the road at me shouting that he'd break that fookin finger of mine and every other bone in my body! :eek: He was bigger, stronger and a lot younger than me. Problem? No! He couldn't run very fast due to the vast bulk of his steroid boosted muscles :D So I ran quickly around him introducing him to my full repertoire of hand gestures :pac: So for anybody wondering what the pace spike in the middle of my cooldown on the Strava graphs is....that's the answer!

Omg S!! You're lucky that didn't have a bad ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wednesday 12th:
    The cooldown was the most exciting part of the run. I had a difference of opinion with a driver as he drove through a just turned red light and I crossed on a red man. :( He braked in time thankfully. :D As he drove past me he roared a string of colourful invective in my direction.....was bigger, stronger and a lot younger than me. Problem? No! He couldn't run very fast due to the vast bulk of his steroid boosted muscles :D So I ran quickly around him introducing him to my full repertoire of hand gestures :pac: So for anybody wondering what the pace spike in the middle of my cooldown on the Strava graphs is....that's the answer!

Ah the aul' roid rage. A lucky escape indeed! Haven't been chased like that yet. It's usually dogs or flies that are after my blood :pac:

Wednesday 12th: Session day. 5*3 mins @ 6:30 off 60 secs, 5*1 min @6:10 off 60 secs. Warm up and cooldown brought the volume up to 8.8 miles. It was a lousy day out there for this time of year. This one turned out a little tougher than expected. The 3 minute repeats were grand with paces of 6:28,6:25,6:25,6:24 and 6:20. Then came the faster 1 minute repeats which coach suggested would be a little sting in the tail....they were! Paces were 5:57, 6:10, 6:08, 6:06, and 6:01. I did the first one too fast but the first 3 were fine. The 4th one was into the breeze and it certainly took more effort than the others to hit the pace. I probably should have eased off a bit. All in all a good session.

Had a few issues like that in our park, but usually its the dog owners that keep their dogs on the lead even though the sign says it and there is a play pen for the dogs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Are you counting that as a double session??

All joking aside you never know what those clowns are capable of!

Are you counting that as a double session??

All joking aside you never know what those clowns are capable of!

Haha...not a double session but it was reassuring to see there was still some pep left in the step after the session :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The mrs has a 220 that suddenly started losing charge too. It’s quite old though. My own 235 is a bit erratic battery wise recently. I’m a bit suspicious, especially with the new 245 series just coming out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Murph_D wrote:
    The mrs has a 220 that suddenly started losing charge too. It’s quite old though. My own 235 is a bit erratic battery wise recently. I’m a bit suspicious, especially with the new 245 series just coming out!

Mine too..... Hmmmmm

Mine too..... Hmmmmm

A little bit of built in obsolescence?... suspicious minds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

An update which purposely drains the battery in light of an upcoming release of a brand new shiny generation of Garmins..... Hmmm.

Thursday 13th: Plan 6 miles easy. Actual 6.4 miles easy @ 8:41 HR 124. Yet another loop of local roads. Legs OK after the previous day's session.

Friday 14th: Plan 4 miles easy plus 5 x 20 second strides. All done to plan even if I took it a bit more easy than usual with pace being 9:11 including the strides. As a result the HR was at a nice low 118.

Saturday 15th: Plan for session was Warm up, 20 min @ 6.50 effort, 5 min jog 4,3,2,1 min @ 6.30 pace (90 sec jog), Cooldown. I headed over to the Phoenix Park to do this. Thankfully the overnight rain had passed and the morning brightened up nicely. I did my warmup around the 2 mile circuit before setting off from the Hole in the Wall to do a near 3 mile loop down the North Road before turning into Lords Way, right up Chesterfield and right again at the Phoenix monument back to the Hole in the Wall. While this made the first half a bit easier it meant the second half was uphill and into the wind. Pace over the duration was 6:44 and the last mile was 6:50 which was pleasing considering how hard it felt. The 5 minute jog was a badly needed respite....fact is I wanted to walk! Next up were the 4,3,2,1 repeats. Again the 4 was on a favourable stretch, the 3 was flat, the 2 again had a nice downhill 200 metres included and the 1 minute was up Chesterfield into the breeze. Paces were 6:27, 6:22, 6:27 and 6:12. I wanted to die on the spot!! I plodded on with a cooldown of nearly 4 miles basically killing time to catch the IR 5 mile pass through about 1k so I could give J a shout. She ran well and I think she might have bagged herself an age grade national bronze. Delighted. Bumped into Damo too as he ran it at a jog as part of an easy 10 mile run. Miles for the day ended up at 11.3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Fair play to the missus S, that’s super stuff!!

[QUOTE=skyblue46;110444780dbasically killing time to catch the IR 5 mile pass through about 1k so I could give J a shout. She ran well and I think she might have bagged herself an age grade national bronze. Delighted. Bumped into Damo too as he ran it at a jog as part of an easy 10 mile run. Miles for the day ended up at 11.3[/QUOTE]

Tough session all right ! I passed you shortly before 1M. I'm guessing I was (slightly?) ahead of J at that stage. Well done her ! I was in the MSB singlet with shades and black visor, yet no acknowledgement :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

black visor

Hence no acknowledgement, were ya running or playing poker J........

Tough session all right ! I passed you shortly before 1M. I'm guessing I was (slightly?) ahead of J at that stage. Well done her ! I was in the MSB singlet with shades and black visor, yet no acknowledgement :pac:

Haha...sorry J. I was only looking for my J at that stage! To be honest it was still too congested at that point to pick out anyone. You didn't pop up on my Strava feed. How did you get on?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Fair play to the missus S, that’s super stuff!!

She says thanks B. Now she's hoping it might have been the Dublin or Leinster championship too! Haha.

Haha...sorry J. I was only looking for my J at that stage! To be honest it was still too congested at that point to pick out anyone. You didn't pop up on my Strava feed. How did you get on?

No worries, I kinda guessed that :pac: I only put the Strava up later....as for how I got on :eek:

OOnegative wrote: »
    Hence no acknowledgement, were ya running or playing poker J........

Both. I lost :D

Either way, I like the visor. I don't have to worry as much about it being blown off my head on windy days, as with the old Lanzarote or IKA caps :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 16th: Plan was 14 miles easy. Actual 14.1 miles @ 8:56 HR 130. Heart rate might have been a couple of beats lower as the reading spiked for the first mile or so. Yesterday's session which I made into an 11 miler with a near 4 mile cooldown left its impression on the legs. The stiff walk to the bathroom this morning sent a very clear message to take today nice and easy. So that's what I did.

Over to the Park again for this. It was an absolutely cracking morning for running, surprisingly warm actually. As per usual I started at the HitW. I decided to hover around 9 min/ mile pace (not that the legs were too willing to do much more) and plodded along the trails to Castleknock gates before running down the length of Chesterfield Ave to the Parkgate entrance and back up before resuming on the trails at Castleknock gates. After about 7 miles the legs began to wake up and the rest of the lap of the Park felt much more smooth.

Very happy with the week's training. I've made a conscious decision to slow the easy stuff down a bit as the volume and intensity of sessions has increased. I passed 1,000 miles for the year on the run this morning, a couple of weeks later than last year but after a slow start to the year things are definitely coming right now. 18 weeks to Amsterdam Half :)

Advertisement