Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Monday 17th: Planned rest day.

Tuesday 18th: Plan: 6 miles easy. Actual: 6.1 miles @ 8:43 HR 123. Local loop on a lovely warm evening. Nice easy run in newly purchased Zoom Fly Flyknits. The bad news....I once again got numb feet. This is becoming a recurring theme with every new pair of shoes I get. I have tried snug fitting and loose fitting but it still happens every time. It seems to take about 300 miles in a shoe before I get truly comfortable in them. Something tells me it's physical and nothing to blame on the shoes. Not a lot I could say about the shoes. They felt grand but I have read that easy runs isn't where they are at their best.

Wednesday 19th: Mini session. Plan: 2 mile warm up, 1 mile @ 6.30, 5 min jog, 4x300m @ 6.30 pace (1 min rec), 4x200 @ 5k effort (1 min jog), 2 mile cooldown. All done, if a tad too fast. No harm done. Left the Flyknits at home as it was pissing rain. I'm precious like that. It would have been nice to try them for some faster stuff but I want to keep them clean for a while :D

Thursday 20th: Planned rest day. Yes I know it's a new idea to log in advance but I'm feeling a bit mad like that. Plan is to head into the Docklands race after work to watch some good old fashioned suffering take place. Hoping to see a few of you in there. Best of luck to all running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Interesting. I had burny feet and slight numbness too. I wonder is it the greater heel and toe height

Interesting. I had burny feet and slight numbness too. I wonder is it the greater heel and toe height

For me, definitely not. It happens me regularly in all shoes. I ran the marathon with a totally numb right foot for 18/20 miles. I got a pair of NB 1270 recently and I have yet to get beyond 4 miles without the feet going numb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote:
    Tuesday 18th: Plan: 6 miles easy. Actual: 6.1 miles @ 8:43 HR 123. Local loop on a lovely warm evening. Nice easy run in newly purchased Zoom Fly Flyknits. The bad news....I once again got numb feet. This is becoming a recurring theme with every new pair of shoes I get. I have tried snug fitting and loose fitting but it still happens every time. It seems to take about 300 miles in a shoe before I get truly comfortable in them. Something tells me it's physical and nothing to blame on the shoes. Not a lot I could say about the shoes. They felt grand but I have read that easy runs isn't where they are at their best.

Oh the numb feet thing happens me with every new shoe too, thought it was just my own weirdness! Usually goes after about 3 or 4 runs though for me. I also try do a bit of walking in them when new to help break that tingling.

Got a pair of adidas solar glide and had the same thing. Assumed it was because they were half a size too big. But it's happened now with the Nike epic react and the zoomfly fly knit. But not any other shoes including the Nike flex rn and pegasus 35.weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I get numb feet with new shoes too - less so with Nike but still get it for, I’d say, at least 100k. I always figured it went away once the shoe loosened a bit but I’ve actually no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great, if you want to bring a hi-vis I'm sure we can find you a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I got numb feet in the first km of race on Tuesday night, i put it down to maybe having the laces too tight or else not having warmed up fully and running hard but shoes are pretty new probably only worn 4 times. I panicked briefly that my feet were literally going to go from under me it was such a strange sensation, i didn't know what to make of it. Thankfully it went away or i got distracted by the pain i was in :pac: I never heard of it before as new shoe thing but i'm relieved now to hear so many similar experiences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

You did mention racing Dunshaughlin, if so, run well tomorrow evening!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    You did mention racing Dunshaughlin, if so, run well tomorrow evening!!

Thanks B. Yeah I'm going down to do it. Not sure what to expect but I'll go down fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Good luck today

Friday 21st: Plan: 2 miles easy and 4*20 sec strides. Done as plan

Saturday 22nd: Dunshaughlin 10k.

I've been tossing and turning about whether to do a race report as there wasn't too much to tell. I have read a comment that C made on Strava about not feeling the love for the race from me in a chat beforehand and a comment from P in his race report about me feeling apprehensive about what was ahead. Both were right. The reason was simple. I had no plan, hopes or expectations. Or maybe I had 6 plans but couldn't decide on the right one. Truth is that I didn't feel like I was turning up at a big race but more like showing up at a Parkrun just to run. Recent races led different predictors to suggest anything from 40:15 to 41:34 were likely....very vague. So after a much too brief chat with P I decided I'd abandon my usual conservative negative split tactics and go for an even paced 40 minute goal.

KM 1: Despite the signs on the roadside and lines painted on the road there were far too many people out of position at the start. Why can't runners self regulate this? Very annoying. The result was the first 800m spent tripping, stumbling and weaving. 2:15 for the first 500m wasn't the plan but I hurried it up through the village and the watch beeped 4:01 for the first K. It was a bit before the marker but I knew from last year that it seemed to correct itself after 6/7 Km.

KM 2&3: As we left the village I noticed quickfeet (G) a bit ahead with 2 other Dunboyne runners. I knew it was likely from his reports here that he would be aiming for 4 mins/ km pace so I just tucked in and said nothing! 4:01 and 3:58 so bang on target but starting to feel the affects of my earlier burst to get back on pace.

KM 4: Still drafting off the Dunboyne train but it was slowing down. I found myself chopping my stride a few times and right up on G's shoulder. He said hello. I said I was finding the pace harder than it should have been, he said he was the same. The K beeped at 4:04 so I decided to push on.

KM 5&6: Luckily there was a group of Trim runners about 15 yards ahead, 4 of them if I remember. I made a surge (probably too quickly) to get across to them and was happy to hear they were aiming for 40 as well. Feeling ok and 2 Kms of 4:00 and 3:58 had me on track.

KM 7&8: In the blink of an eye it all went pear shaped. Last year I felt like I went too aggressively at the short sharp hill and the longer drag in this stretch. I decided to drop the pace back in the hope of finishing really strongly. G came past me on the short hill but I reeled him in quickly (again probably too quickly) on the flat. 4:07 for that Km and things were starting to look dodgy. A similar pattern repeated itself on the next Km which was even slower at 4:12. Was feeling wrecked but I have been feeling that way before and have pulled a 3:40km out at the end of a race. That would be nearly enough if I could stabilise in the 9th km.

KM 9: I went all in here to get back on track. It was horrible. I won't elaborate but some of ye know that feeling of wanting to stop, to never run again! I got back to G and he encouraged us to go for it. I couldn't. The effort to pull things back had been too much. I said I was bailing (I think I said I was stopping). He effed and blinded at me to keep going but I hadn't the heart. He's a smashing lad, only fair to say that. As honest a runner as the day is long.

KM 10: Truthfully I had decided to jog in. I had already dropped right off the pace when FBOT gave me a shout with 600m to go. Pride or shame made me pick it up a bit...still finished 16 seconds behind G. That says it all. A capitulation once I knew I couldn't get the 40. Chip 40:33

A few questions afterwards both in person and on Whatsapp about whether I was happy. I deferred. I needed some time to digest it. Now I have. I ran a race unfamiliar to me. I'm used to easing myself into a race and fighting through late pain. This was harder all the way. But I am happy. I'm in touching distance of last years times without any specific training. I asked L to help make me a stronger runner ready to have a good bash at any distance at the drop of a hat. That's happening. I have recently asked that Amsterdam is the focus and it will come right. It was interesting to see his comments on P's log about having faith in a process...I have it big time. I'm getting a lot stronger. The clock will show it in due course.

Sunday 23rd: Plan 14 miles easy. This was a surprise when I saw it on the plan...a 14 miler the day after a race? I had to message coach and ask if he had made a mistake! I told him I was going to Croker today so the run would be a morning run and about 13 hours after the race finish...It wasn't a mistake! He said my legs would feel like garbage but to try to get as much of the distance done without worrying about pace. I guess it's all about strength and endurance. I got it done at a pace of 8:50 and didn't feel as crap as I expected. Uphill was tough in fairness.

Croker was a mismatch...which made my day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ha ha - I thought you’d gone mad when I saw 14 miles on Strava earlier. Not your usual style!!

Glad you ended up being happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Doesn’t sound like a disaster, so glad you’re happy. Is that your first ever positive split? Good to get that out of the way if so! Sounds like km9 was an experience that you needed to have. Sometimes thats better than everything going to plan.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Doesn’t sound like a disaster, so glad you’re happy. Is that your first ever positive split? Good to get that out of the way if so! Sounds like km9 was an experience that you needed to have. Sometimes thats better than everything going to plan.

Haha. I left Dunshaughlin convinced it was my first positive split as the timings listed above indicate. However you might have noticed that I mentioned the watch was indicating the kms a little bit before the markers in the early kms of the race.... popupraces official results had a half way timing mat and they have my splits as 20:20/20:13 !

Typical - even when you try to run a positive split you still don't. haha

I think I said to you in a message that it's important to figure out what type of runner you are. The only way you'll do that is trying different things and seeing what works for you. I've learned that I tend to work well even paced. I'm certainly not one of those guys that can go out hard and hang on. That style just doesnt suit me.

It seems like by the end of that log update you've come to all the right conclusions so there isn't really much advice to give. I can promise you if you keep doing what you're told (haha) you will be a stronger runner. You can trust the process because I guarantee you that L will have you running stronger. So it already seems like you trust the process, now you just need to be patient. I understand it's a hard thing to get your head around that you're running similar times to a year ago so where's the progress right? But you're only getting started with L. You haven't even really got a race specific block with him yet, lots of base building yes but lots of specifics no. You'll be pleasantly surprised in the next 6 months to a year. Of that I have no doubt. But like I said, judging the end of your update you know that already.

Again, really sorry I didnt get to spend any quality time with you before or after. I hung around for as long as I could but needed to get back to make sure the missus was looked after :) Hopefully we get to meet before the year is out. And hopefully we get to share a pint at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’d trust the process, but make sure it takes M50 recovery needs into account!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I won't elaborate but some of ye know that feeling of wanting to stop, to never run again!

Haha, I laughed at this as the very same thought crossed my mind when I saw you for the first time last Thursday!!! :pac:

I can only think of a handful of races where I didn't say to myself "f*ck this I'm done with running" during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Seems like a very tough night on Saturday. Easy to just switch off at the end - lads who you could or should be competing against can take chunks out of you in no time. At least the Dubs made it a happy ending to the week :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Is that a PB ffs?

Fusitive wrote: »
    Is that a PB ffs?

No. I did 40:07 in it last year.

No. I did 40:07 in it last year.

Ah, idk why I thought you ran 40:50 or something last year. Couple of months back from the injury, that's pretty solid going tbf. The 3x:xx will come.

Fusitive wrote: »
    Ah, idk why I thought you ran 40:50 or something last year. Couple of months back from the injury, that's pretty solid going tbf. The 3x:xx will come.

Ah I'm not too bothered about that particular landmark time at the moment. I just desperately want sub 90 for the half. Shorter stuff might get some attention after that. Has anything changed with you on the health/injury front?

Ah I'm not too bothered about that particular landmark time at the moment. I just desperately want sub 90 for the half. Shorter stuff might get some attention after that. Has anything changed with you on the health/injury front?

Nah, I'm done. I can run but everything just feels like a slog so it's just not fun. Last run I done was the Adare 10k in Feb and I'd to drop out at the 1 mile marker already slipping outside 7:50 pace and getting slower. Don't have the mental energy to push through it anymore tbh and it's not something that goes away with rest. Might just start lifting or something cardiophobic. Would take up cycling only my brother has slowly dismantled my bike down to just a frame while I was away:pac:

June 24th-27th

Monday 24th:
    Planned rest day

Tuesday 25th: Plan 6 miles easy. Actual 6.24 miles recovery @ 9:36 HR 120. I had a touch of DOMS after the weekend so took it very handy on this. Legs were like blocks of concrete!

Wednesday 26th: Plan Warm up, 3x4 min @ 7.30 (2 min), 4x30 sec hard (90 sec rec), Cooldown. Done as per plan even if paces were a touch fast. 4 mins were done at 7:20, 7:21, 7:25. Nothing to worry about there as it was all about ease and control. The 30 sec reps were at faster pace than I'd normally do after easing into the first one.... 6:38, 5:24, 4:55, 5:11. Total miles 7.28 @ 8:37 average, HR 130.

Thursday 27th: Plan 2 miles easy and a few strides. Actual was 2 miles easy plus a few surgy, pickuppy sort of things. I'm wrecked and couldn't find the pace or energy for strides! 3.1 miles @ 8:52 HR 124.

Shattered this week. The weekend took its toll with race, long run and copious amounts of Guinness before and after the Leinster Final. Then it was straight into a week of 7pm-7am shifts. Sleep is messed up and diet is worse. Energy levels are sub zero.

If you think today's run looks like a shakeout, it is...I entered Kilcock long before I knew I was on nights this week and next. I'll see how I feel after getting home at 8 tomorrow morning and catching a few hours sleep. I'll almost definitely go to it but whether I have much for a 'race' at the moment is unsure. It'd be nice to catch up with Browneyes, Lazare, Damo and WW so I'll probably toe the line. After that, who knows. I won't go down the road of flogging a dead horse as that would do me more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck S, don’t flog that horse if it isn’t up to it. Run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck tomorrow.....I promise I won't shout " well done you are nearly there" at the first roundabout!

Hopefully make it out to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good luck tomorrow S enjoy the catch up :)

• Advertisement

I'm tempted to say good luck but the sensible side doesn't want to see you racing it

Advertisement