Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

See you tomorrow night buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm tempted to say good luck but the sensible side doesn't want to see you racing it

I know I shouldn't. If it's anything like my run today I'll know in the warm-up. Its the lack of sleep has me whacked. I'm getting home at 8am but not sleeping beyond noon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    I know I shouldn't. If it's anything like my run today I'll know in the warm-up. Its the lack of sleep has me whacked. I'm getting home at 8am but not sleeping beyond noon.

Not much to be gained from racing it really?

Not much to be gained from racing it really?

No...and there is someone running I could pace but there's a 22:30 pacer so I won't be needed. Haha

Friday 28th: Plan: Kilcock 5k. Actual was 6.2 miles very easy in 23 degrees @ 9:00 min/ mile. HR 119. Common sense prevailed and there's no 5k race for me tonight. Not to worry. It's only tiredness and nothing a good nights sleep won't put right. The forecast for tomorrow has changed a bit and it looks like rain in the morning but I think I'll tip on down to St Anne's for what I think is pacer day at Parkrun. If a bit of sleep sees me good then I'll do it at tempo/easy tempo.

• Advertisement

Saturday 29th: Plan 5 miles easy. Actual was a 2 mile jog to and from Parkrun in St Anne's which was done @ 7:25 pace in the company of the 23 min pacer, Keith from Raheny. This is just at the faster end of easy tempo on Tinmans chart so nothing too taxing about it. It was a lovely warm morning and no sign of the mid morning thunder and showers which were forecast.

Sunday 30th: Plan 14 miles. Actual 15 miles with the 9 in the middle being the most relaxed, most torturous and most fun in a long time. I have long wanted to do the Bog of Frogs trail on Howth Head and decided this would be the day. I went about doing it the wrong way around and therefore hadn't the benefit of route markers. The result was me getting lost a few times, being waist deep in the local flora, nettle stings and much head scratching. Even some of the parts on the trail were overgrown and tricky to negotiate. The views from the cliff path were stunning as were those from the actual summit. This was reached after an ascent on which I had to walk the last bit such was the steepness. The short descent to Carrickbrack Road was also too steep and too dangerous underfoot to run on. I stopped in Howth village for an ice cream, chatted to golfers in Deer Park as I waited for them to hit their shots (the trail crosses the golf course), got playfully chased by 2 border collies and generally had a beautiful morning. Some of the uphills led to 11 and 12 minute miles but what the hell... it's great to be alive and able to do days like this. There's more to running than PB's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sounds like a cracking run this morning one I need to get out and do at some point.

Sounds like a cracking run this morning one I need to get out and do at some point.

One tip and one tip only....do it the right way round!! It is brilliant on any day but amazing if the sun is shining. Tough too...I reckon 1500 feet of climbing (Strava will eventually upload with an accurate figure) and the last 3 miles I did along the coast to Raheny nearly killed me. The toughest long run I have done in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ha! The missus and I also had the misfortune to do that route in the ‘wrong’ direction last year. So Irish to only have the signage work in one direction. Something deep in our psyche about confusing the enemy, I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Sunday 30th: Plan 14 miles. Actual 15 miles with the 9 in the middle being the most relaxed, most torturous and most fun in a long time. I have long wanted to do the Bog of Frogs trail on Howth Head and decided this would be the day. I went about doing it the wrong way around and therefore hadn't the benefit of route markers. The result was me getting lost a few times, being waist deep in the local flora, nettle stings and much head scratching. Even some of the parts on the trail were overgrown and tricky to negotiate. The views from the cliff path were stunning as were those from the actual summit. This was reached after an ascent on which I had to walk the last bit such was the steepness. The short descent to Carrickbrack Road was also too steep and too dangerous underfoot to run on. I stopped in Howth village for an ice cream, chatted to golfers in Deer Park as I waited for them to hit their shots (the trail crosses the golf course), got playfully chased by 2 border collies and generally had a beautiful morning. Some of the uphills led to 11 and 12 minute miles but what the hell... it's great to be alive and able to do days like this. There's more to running than PB's!
    This sounds amazing, I'd love to give it a go sometime.

Well done in Dunshaughlin - well worth having tried something different and it sounds like you've worked out your priorities and your attitude to it all now. Hope the tiredness lifts this week!

eyrie wrote: »
    This sounds amazing, I'd love to give it a go sometime.

Well done in Dunshaughlin - well worth having tried something different and it sounds like you've worked out your priorities and your attitude to it all now. Hope the tiredness lifts this week!

Thanks. It is a smashing loop, well worth crossing to DNS to give it a bash.

The tiredness is gone...soon to return. Back on nights this week but thankfully then have 10 days off :D

Monday 1st:Planned Rest Day

Tuesday 2nd: Plan 6 miles easy and 5*20 sec strides. Done as per plan, 7.3 miles @ 8:55 HR 126. The quads have been in tatters since Sunday. All that downhill running took its toll. Other than that the legs felt great. Tomorrows session might be difficult to complete in the circumstances but DOMS can ease a lot in 24 hours so I won't write it off just yet!

Wednesday 3rd: Plan: Session 14*90 secs off 45 secs jog recovery @ 6:20. This one gave me a large dose of The Fear. The recoveries were shorter than anytime I had done anything similar before, excepting one time but I blew up after 9 reps that day. Paces were 6:18,6:31,6:17,6:19,6:33,6:19,6:18,6:27,6:13,6:22,6:22,6:14,6:35 and 6:15. I'm not at all bothered about the few slower ones as they all came on a section of the lap where GPS is crap and paces plummet even on easy runs. The effort was pretty right all through while obviously getting much harder to maintain near the end. It was properly warm out there and I was dripping buckets of sweat by the end. Delighted to get it done all things considered.

On another note I got a message from Boards yesterday saying that I had pending messages but that my inbox was full so they couldn't be delivered. I deleted some messages but the new ones haven't arrived. If anyone sent me one that I haven't replied to could you please send it again. Thanks.

Solid session Sean great stuff.

Thursday 4th: Plan: 6 miles easy. Actual: 5 miles recovery @ 9:11 HR 121. So I tried to remember the plan and failed! Today was to be 6 miles and Friday to be 5 but I reversed them in my memory. :o Collins Avenue/ Griffith Avenue again.

Friday 5th: Plan 5 miles easy plus 5*20 second strides. Actual: 6 miles easy plus 5*20 second strides. Again the same loop with some little bits added in....namely the side roads between Griffith Avenue and Home Farm Road inspired by a run that Wubble did earlier in the year. Gave a wave to ReeReeG's sister near the Met office...not that she had a clue who I was. Then again she was running up Washerwomans Hill with a backpack on which would have been taking up her full attention. HR was 125 which is an improvement relative to pace on recent efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote:
    Friday 5th: Plan 5 miles easy plus 5*20 second strides. Actual: 6 miles easy plus 5*20 second strides. Again the same loop with some little bits added in....namely the side roads between Griffith Avenue and Home Farm Road inspired by a run that Wubble did earlier in the year. Gave a wave to ReeReeG's sister near the Met office...not that she had a clue who I was. Then again she was running up Washerwomans Hill with a backpack on which would have been taking up her full attention. HR was 125 which is an improvement relative to pace on recent efforts.

Haha next time give her a good fright, the more sabotage the better, don't want her beating me in the Edenderry 10 mile :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Haha next time give her a good fright, the more sabotage the better, don't want her beating me in the Edenderry 10 mile :)

Be afraid, very afraid! She was looking very strong and concentrated on the hill! :D

Saturday 6th: Session day. 4x5 min @ 6.40 (1 min recoveries) 3 min jog, 3x2 min @ 6.30 (2 min recoveries). After a week where time constraints had me restricted to running locally I headed over to the PP for this one. I spotted Damo out on his long run on my drive over. It was a lovely mild morning with a nice cooling mist falling for the complete duration...still a bit muggy though.

The session itself I did on the O.S./Furze/Chesterfield lap. It went swimmingly well. There were no problems, no pushing to hold paces and no collapsing in a heap afterwards....one of those sessions designed to either be a down week or a confidence builder methinks. :pac: Then again maybe it was just one of those few and far between good days!

Paces for the 6:40 reps were 6:39, 6:39, 6:38 and 6:38. The 6:30 reps were run a bit too fast at 6:24, 6:23 and 6:23. I did a couple of miles to cooldown bringing the total to 9.7 miles for the morning. Back to the car then for a carton of my new guilty pleasure....Cookies and Cream flavoured Mooju! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Back to the car then for a carton of my new guilty pleasure....Cookies and Cream flavoured Mooju! :D

I tried out this flavour last week. So wrong, yet so right.........

• Advertisement

Must give that a try! Partial to the odd chocolate one myself.

Thought you would be a recovery shakes man S.

coogy wrote: »
    I tried out this flavour last week. So wrong, yet so right.........

Thought you would be a recovery shakes man S. Often wondered if they would be beneficial.

Thought you would be a recovery shakes man S.

Haha...Yazoo milk has become my post session and LR drink as it has the 3:1 ratio of carbs: protein that is optimal for recovery. Mooju isn't quite as good. No Yazoo in the shop I stopped at today. Mackeral, salmon and chicken are my go to proteins. No protein powder for me. ;-)

skyblue46 wrote:
    Haha...Yazoo milk has become my post session and LR drink as it has the 3:1 ratio of carbs: protein that is optimal for recovery. Mooju isn't quite as good. No Yazoo in the shop I stopped at today. Mackeral, salmon and chicken are my go to proteins. No protein powder for me. ;-)

Hang on! Yazoo is better than moojoo!?

It's not even close for flavour or texture but as a recovery drink it's better! Haha

Sickened. Has anyone told Ariana?shes drinking some cheap lidl knockoff called Moover or something awful like that

Sickened. Has anyone told Ariana?shes drinking some cheap lidl knockoff called Moover or something awful like that

Haha...I think it's a Centra knockoff. Funnily enough it too is better than Mooju when looked at purely as a recovery drink!!

Cheap......might give it a try....you can take the boy out of Scotland and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

As a recovery drink, rubbish. Full of sugar and additives. I did chocolate protein milk for a while but also full of sugar. H5 recovery with coconut milk nice but expensive.

If you have a nutriti bullet hard to beat this
    Frozen banana
    1 tbsp hemp protein*
    1.5 tbsp cacao*
    Half tsp cinnamon
    Pint of coconut or Almond milk
    Heaped tbsp of almond or peanut butter.
    Blend and drink immediately

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RealFoodSource-Protein-Powder-White-Natural/dp/B00LH33DB2/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=hemp+protein+real+food+source&qid=1562440458&s=gateway&sr=8-9
    1kg pack lasts ages. Most cost effective recovery drink I've ever used. Wont go back to processed again. Fresh chocolate milk as a treat sometimes.

• Advertisement

As a recovery drink, rubbish. Full of sugar and additives. I did chocolate protein milk for a while but also full of sugar. H5 recovery with coconut milk nice but expensive.

If you have a nutriti bullet hard to beat this
    Frozen banana
    1 tbsp hemp protein*
    1.5 tbsp cacao*
    Half tsp cinnamon
    Pint of coconut or Almond milk
    Heaped tbsp of almond or peanut butter.
    Blend and drink immediately

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RealFoodSource-Protein-Powder-White-Natural/dp/B00LH33DB2/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=hemp+protein+real+food+source&qid=1562440458&s=gateway&sr=8-9
    1kg pack lasts ages. Most cost effective recovery drink I've ever used. Wont go back to processed again. Fresh chocolate milk as a treat sometimes.

That sounds very refreshing but at a quick glance doesn't seem to fit the profile of a recovery drink. It seems more protein biased than needed for the 30 minute post exercise window.

Sugar, while not great to include in any quantity in ones diet, is good for getting carbs into the system quickly to kick start glycogen replenishment....or in gels during a marathon.

Advertisement