Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

If it makes noise it ain't gonna work in my house/mobile home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That sounds very refreshing but at a quick glance doesn't seem to fit the profile of a recovery drink. It seems more protein biased than needed for the 30 minute post exercise window.

Sugar, while not great to include in any quantity in ones diet, is good for getting carbs into the system quickly to kick start glycogen replenishment....or in gels during a marathon.
    Then add a second banana. Problem solved

Edit: I'd go more protein based after reps. Carbs after LR
    If not a shake then peanut butter and banana on toast. Or poached egg on toast. I get the yazoo for quick hit tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Haha. I think it would need 3 bananas actually... you're getting into a hefty shake there with a pint of almond liquid too.

I'm a big fan of doing my own smoothies at home but chocolate (or cookie and cream) milk is just super convenient after a run. It's one of my few guilty pleasures.

Edit: I'd go more protein based after reps. Carbs after LR
    If not a shake then peanut butter and banana on toast. Or poached egg on toast. I get the yazoo for quick hit tho

Yep, I'm talking about the 30 minute window. After that I'd move to the proteins. Peanut butter and banana on toast is delicious too. It was my marathon breakfast.

Sunday 7th: Plan 14 miles easy. Actual was 14 miles @ 8:29 HR 136. This was a bit of a change up for me in that I moved to the fastest end of my easy pace rather than the closer to the recovery pace I usually do my LSR at.

This was a route that I had wanted to do for some time but the logistics of it made it difficult up to now. I wanted to go from the Poolbeg lighthouse at the end of the South Great Wall to the Star of the Sea statue at the end of the North Bull Wall. Point to point it's a little over 9 miles but as I'd have to run down and back each wall it would bring the distance to about 13 miles. A little bit extra at both ends would bring me to my desired distance of 14 miles. The problem? Drive to start at one end and I'd finish miles away from the car. The answer? Beg for help. Help arrived in the form of my dad who collected me in Clontarf where I dropped the car and he then drove me to Ringsend. :)

The run itself had a bit of everything. The cobble-like surface on the South Wall demanded my full attention or a fall wouldn't be far away. Turning back towards the city made it worthwhile with cracking views of the city and the Dublin/Wicklow mountains from a different angle than I'd normally see them. The section through Ringsend, past the 3 arena and the East Wall Road were less than inspiring before it was back to the seafront in Clontarf. It felt really hot along here and a little bit of legginess started to take hold. The rickety bridge and Bull Wall were thronged with happy families and strollers. The coffee stand had a queue of about 30 people. I got to the statue and had a quick look across to Poolbeg, less than a mile away across the glistening sea. The mile and a bit back to the car brought me to my 14 mile target. A nice run to get ticked off the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sounds like a great run. I saw it on strava and wondered how you got home! Great to have people to give lifts!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one. You can avoid the East Wall Rd section by going through East Point Business Park instead, which includes a nice (but short) track along the estuary, and then cut through the Rowing Club to Alfie Byrne. Great idea for a run though, must try it some time (although I hate those South Wall cobbles too). You should join me on a Tolka Quay/North Wall trek sometime, through the oil terminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

When does Amsterdam training kick in or have you been told??!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    When does Amsterdam training kick in or have you been told??!!

September 1st it gets distance specific...until then I'll do what I'm told.

September 1st it gets distance specific...until then I'll do what I'm told.

Warm up races planned? You realise potentially a Rugby WC Quarter Final that evening to.....

• Advertisement

Warm up races planned? You realise potentially a Rugby WC Quarter Final that evening to.....

Tullamore half is paid for but not sure what the plan for it will be. It's just a race I wanted to do...Rugby on the Sunday night? Happy days. I foresee a deep sleep afterwards :pac:

Tullamore half is paid for but not sure what the plan for it will be. It's just a race I wanted to do...Rugby on the Sunday night? Happy days. I foresee a deep sleep afterwards :pac:

Potentially South Africa if we top our group.... could be messy!!!!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice one. You can avoid the East Wall Rd section by going through East Point Business Park instead, which includes a nice (but short) track along the estuary, and then cut through the Rowing Club to Alfie Byrne. Great idea for a run though, must try it some time (although I hate those South Wall cobbles too). You should join me on a Tolka Quay/North Wall trek sometime, through the oil terminals.

Yep D, that sounds like one to have a look at. For the next couple of weeks I'll be looking to get some grass underfoot on the long run. Thanks for the tip re the Business Park.

Monday 8th: Planned rest day.

Tuesday 9th: Plan-6 miles easy & 5 20 second strides. Done as per plan, 7.2 miles @ 8:53 HR 128. Tried out a new 10k loop for me down by the Bots, Whitworth Road and then up the Swords Road to Whitehall before heading back into Johnstown Park for the few strides on a soccer pitch.

Wednesday 10th: Session day. 2 mile warm up, 3x (4,3,2,1 min @ 6.30 w/ 90 sec rec) 5 min between sets, 2 mile cooldown. Total came to 11.8 miles. This was a super session to do on a really warm morning. There was nothing in the heat and sunshine at 7.30am to indicate the wet and showery finish to the day. My main objective of the session was to concentrate on form and to try to consider and run it as a cruise pace rather than a 'fast' pace. It's a mental thing I know but I find it easier to get it done when I remind myself it's only 10k pace and imagine cruising through the early kilometres of a 10k race. It worked out well but I definitely felt the pinch at the end of the last 2 and 1 minute reps. Paces were- Set 1: 6:25, 6:27, 6:24, 6:22. Set 2: 6:27, 6:25, 6:25, 6:20. Set 3: 6:25, 6:23, 6:25 and 6:19.

Thursday 11th: Plan 6 miles easy. Actual was 6.2 miles @ 8:58. HR 126. Over to the PP for this. Warm and humid again with a slight drizzle from time to time. Beautiful morning to be out.

skyblue46 wrote:
    It's a mental thing I know but I find it easier to get it done when I remind myself it's only 10k pace and imagine cruising through the early kilometres of a 10k race.

Im the same. Shur this is only 10k pace. I can manage that for 4mins no bother..... Usually by the end of the session it can feel more like the latter stages of a 10k in the legs. Well done again. Nice session.

Friday 12th: Plan 5 miles easy plus 5*20 sec strides. Actual 6.33 miles @ 9:11 including the strides. As the pace suggests it was a recovery type run, all on grass around the local football pitches. Right hip has been giving me a bit of a problem so I wanted to make it easy on the body in every respect.

Saturday 13th: Session day. 2 mile warm up, 35 min tempo (10/5/10/5/5 - 7.00/6.40/7.00/6.40/6.30) 2 mile Cool down. Over to the Park early for this as I wanted to support J in the Irish Runner/ National Championship 10 mile. It was a smashing session. I continue to be amazed at how coach picks paces and recoveries that just seem to be spot on... Comfortably hard for a while before needing a good bit more effort at the end. Paces were 6:58, 6:39, 6:56, 6:43 and 6:25. Allowing for gradient and breeze in different parts I think the effort levels were as intended.

After that I watched the 10 miler. The shape of the route meant I could do a bit of skipping from place to place and see J a few times. She had hoped to run 80 mins but missed out by 9 seconds. On the plus side she picked up yet another age grade bronze. Amazing performance by Tommy Hughes again...legend!

Sunday 14th: Plan 14 miles easy. Actual 11 very easy and 4 easy. I felt like some company on a long run so I headed over to a Running the Distance group run. It's a Facebook page I came across and noticed that L makes some contributions on the page. When I got there it turned out that nobody was planning more than 12 miles and that only two lads were looking to do 9:45-10 min pace. Everyone else was slower. The 2 lads are training for DCM, their first marathon. I decided to have an easy day and not be an ignorant fooker by going off alone. I brought them up through Castleknock to show them that bit of the DCM route. They called it a day after 11 miles so I did 4 more by myself. Pace averaged out at 9:25. Hip still giving me cause for concern but I won't be running until Tuesday evening so I'll see if the bit of rest helps.

skyblue46 wrote:
    I continue to be amazed at how coach picks paces and recoveries that just seem to be spot on...

Always amazed me too.

Look after that hip Sean, if it persists get it looked at.

Look after that hip Sean, if it persists get it looked at.

Oh I will do B. Old age is a bugger! :pac:

Ok, so I was economical with the truth. All runs from Tuesday onwards involved a first few hundred yards during which I was unsure if I could run followed by an easing of the pain. Sundays run involved a break of a couple of minutes at half way for a group photo and I seriously struggled not to hobble through the restart. I knew I was in a bad place. By Tuesday evening I felt I should try a run but it was pointless...a limping hobble with my right hip simply unable to take the weight of even a slow jog. I stopped after half a mile, went home and called the physio. Appointment tomorrow evening. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but in day to day activities it is way better today. Hopefully it's muscular....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

good luck at physio tomorow S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fingers are firmly crossed for you S. Keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I hope all goes well at the physio.

Baby75 wrote: »
    good luck at physio tomorow S
    eyrie wrote: »
    Fingers are firmly crossed for you S. Keep us posted
    I hope all goes well at the physio.

Pretty positive. As with most people it's a domino reaction that eventually leads to all the dominoes lying face down. The first domino which I have to prevent from knocking everything else over is/are the glute(s). Other muscles doing too much work to compensate for weak glutes. They simply downed tools under the workload.

Pretty positive. As with most people it's a domino reaction that eventually leads to all the dominoes lying face down. The first domino which I have to prevent from knocking everything else over is/are the glute(s). Other muscles doing too much work to compensate for weak glutes. They simply downed tools under the workload.

Any time off required?

Any time off required?

She said I could try a run tomorrow. I'm to use common sense after that to decide what to do next. In other words if I get a bad reaction I'm to take a day off, if not then I can go again. Only easy miles until I see her next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The old "weak glutes" chestnut! But good that's is soft tissue

Were you prescribed clams, band, hip thrusts etc...?

The Kinetic Revolution 30 day challenge ReeReeG and I are doing really hit the glutes and the down stream muscle groups.

The old "weak glutes" chestnut! But good that's is soft tissue

Were you prescribed clams, band, hip thrusts etc...?

The Kinetic Revolution 30 day challenge ReeReeG and I are doing really hit the glutes and the down stream muscle groups.

Yes I was prescribed all of the above...and have already done my first day of them. Haha.

The Kinetic Revolution might be something I will look at down the line. I'll build gradually for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Catching up. Take it handy. At least you didn’t fall victim to the ‘weak glute’ autocorrect issue. ;)

• Advertisement

Not much to report since the last update.

Friday 19th: 2.1 miles @ 9:25 HR 116. I just wanted to get a couple of miles in just to see if I could. Thankfully I was able to run but there was a level of discomfort, albeit low.

Saturday/ Sunday 20th/ 21st: No running for a combination of reasons. Firstly I wanted to let the hip settle a bit. Secondly there was the small matter of Shane Lowry and also the matches in the Super 8's. It's probably fair to say I might not have put down the beers and left my perch even if I was in the full of my health. :rolleyes:

Monday 22nd: 4.3 miles @ 9:00 HR 123. Guilted myself into trying a run. It felt OK. Something tells me that while I may be able to run it may well be a while before I don't have the hip niggle either during the run or after it.

Wednesday 24th: 8.1 miles @ 8:41 HR 143. A quick spin down to Kilcock to meet OONegative for a trot. I had made an arrangement to go for a run with The Man from Tang and luckily the hip was ok to do it. Great chat with a Boards legend and he went at his recovery pace to take it easy on me. :) We went a few miles out the canal path and back to Kilcock, a lot of it on grass. A smashing day for a run and great company to run with. Thanks B. I can only blame the heat for the HR as the run itself felt really easy.

I'll keep monitoring the hip and train accordingly. I have another visit to the physio tomorrow. It'll be all easy miles for whatever I do for the rest of the week anyway.

Advertisement