Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Would you consider a week off? I don’t see the point or value of easy/recovery running with even low grade discomfort. Surely the benefits outweigh the costs? You won’t lose any meaningful amount of fitness, but will give your hip a well earned break?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Would you consider a week off? I don’t see the point or value of easy/recovery running with even low grade discomfort. Surely the benefits outweigh the costs? You won’t lose any meaningful amount of fitness, but will give your hip a well earned break?

That's a very fair question D. To be honest I went with the physios advice which was to try an easy run and then take a rest day or two, rinse and repeat. The condition attached was that the hip continued to feel better both during the run and during the subsequent 24 hours. I only ran 6 miles last week. I'll await further instructions tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »

Wednesday 24th: 8.1 miles @ 8:41 HR 143. A quick spin down to Kilcock to meet OONegative for a trot. I had made an arrangement to go for a run with The Man from Tang and luckily the hip was ok to do it. Great chat with a Boards legend and he went at his recovery pace to take it easy on me. :) We went a few miles out the canal path and back to Kilcock, a lot of it on grass. A smashing day for a run and great company to run with. Thanks B. I can only blame the heat for the HR as the run itself felt really easy.

Looks like a nice route S, I might try this at the weekend for my 2 hour easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

coogy wrote: »
    Looks like a nice route S, I might try this at the weekend for my 2 hour easy.

Myself and Sean took the grass to the left at Ferns Lock K as the right hand side was busy with construction traffic working on the canal path. The grass side is perfectly fine for running just keep an eye on your footing as you go.

I got to the physio today. Hip had shown signs of objecting to yesterday's run so it was good that I had the appointment. She is happy with progress so far and happy for me to keep running on 2 conditions....1) that I wait until I have zero discomfort from the previous run before going again and 2) that I be aware that the 2 and 4 mile runs didn't cause the same reaction that the 8 miler did. So for now I've not to go much beyond 40 minutes.

I have to continue with resisted clam shells, hip flexion while standing and crab walks. I also have to do single leg bridges and glute myofascial release with a ball. Last but not least is foam rolling of the TFL....plenty there to fill some time!

• Advertisement

If I knew that yesterday..... Take care of it, we want to see you in October.

OOnegative wrote: »
    If I knew that yesterday..... Take care of it, we want to see you in October.

How could you know when I didn't! Honest to god there wasn't a twinge out of it on the run.

How could you know when I didn't! Honest to god there wasn't a twinge out of it on the run.

Ah I know, you were bouncing along in fairness.

Once again there's nothing much to report. The hip still acts up but not as frequently or as painfully as a couple of weeks ago. The big plus for me has been the exercises....not that they have healed me overnight but I have a very definite sense of improved freedom in the area they are working on. What previously was stiff and sore is now free and sore. The hip flexors and glutes had been neglected and these exercises have made a marked improvement. Even though I was given the exercises to do on the troubled hip I am doing them on both sides as it can only be beneficial. I'll continue them a couple of times a week after I get the hip sorted.

Friday 26th: 3.1 miles @ 9:26 HR 119. Just a little tester after the previous day's physio. Did half of it on grass.

Sunday 28th: 5.2 miles @ 8:55 HR 125. A few local miles. Still niggly particularly in the early part of the run. Another rest day will follow and I'll try a few more easy ones on Tuesday.

Morale is surprisingly good. The main aim for Amsterdam may need to be revised but hopefully not by much. Tullamore at the end of August will obviously not now be anything like a full out effort but with a bit of luck I'll be able to do it as something more than an easy run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Between the two of us we'd do some serious damage in a three legged race.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 30th: 6.5 miles @ 8:57 HR 126. A great relaxing run in a very peaceful Phoenix Park today. Shift work has its ups and downs but one huge upside is being able to get out for a run when the park is quiet. Listening to the peels of thunder and rain lashing down as I type....I got lucky to have run before it arrived :) Did my regular loop all on grass or trails. Apart from the first half mile the hip was much improved and has me seeing some bright light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it's not an oncoming train. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That sounds positive S, good to hear! Hope it continues in that direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Once again there's nothing much to report. The hip still acts up but not as frequently or as painfully as a couple of weeks ago. The big plus for me has been the exercises....not that they have healed me overnight but I have a very definite sense of improved freedom in the area they are working on. What previously was stiff and sore is now free and sore. The hip flexors and glutes had been neglected and these exercises have made a marked improvement. Even though I was given the exercises to do on the troubled hip I am doing them on both sides as it can only be beneficial. I'll continue them a couple of times a week after I get the hip sorted.

Friday 26th: 3.1 miles @ 9:26 HR 119. Just a little tester after the previous day's physio. Did half of it on grass.

Sunday 28th: 5.2 miles @ 8:55 HR 125. A few local miles. Still niggly particularly in the early part of the run. Another rest day will follow and I'll try a few more easy ones on Tuesday.

Morale is surprisingly good. The main aim for Amsterdam may need to be revised but hopefully not by much. Tullamore at the end of August will obviously not now be anything like a full out effort but with a bit of luck I'll be able to do it as something more than an easy run.

Love the positivity, well done you, it's not easy when things aren't going to plan!
    Between the two of us we'd do some serious damage in a three legged race.

Love the humour :pac: As above, it's not easy... Hope your recovery is coming along?
    Tuesday 30th: 6.5 miles @ 8:57 HR 126. A great relaxing run in a very peaceful Phoenix Park today. Shift work has its ups and downs but one huge upside is being able to get out for a run when the park is quiet. Listening to the peels of thunder and rain lashing down as I type....I got lucky to have run before it arrived :)Did my regular loop all on grass or trails. Apart from the first half mile the hip was much improved and has me seeing some bright light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it's not an oncoming train. :cool:

Is the grass in the PP well maintained S or how do you find it? My physio has advised me against running on grass unless it is a very well maintained soccer/gaa pitch. He says the risks of going over on an ankle on uneven ground outweigh the benefits of reduced impact. Apparently i'd be better of hitting a running track once a week as a way to reduce the impact but i never really get around to it.

ariana` wrote: »

Is the grass in the PP well maintained S or how do you find it? My physio has advised me against running on grass unless it is a very well maintained soccer/gaa pitch. He says the risks of going over on an ankle on uneven ground outweigh the benefits of reduced impact. Apparently i'd be better of hitting a running track once a week as a way to reduce the impact but i never really get around to it.

It's a mixed bag really but nothing too bad. Large sections of it would be perfectly good, some of the trail sections need a bit of care to avoid tree roots (something which Damo and Conor can joyfully attest to having witnessed my one and only failure to avoid one!), and a section on bark mulch. The area around the papal cross is knee high now but the pathways while narrowed by the long grass are still ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

(something which Damo and Conor can joyfully attest to having witnessed my one and only failure to avoid one!)
    I still never found that sniper that took ya out! :pac::pac:

ariana` wrote:
    Love the humour As above, it's not easy... Hope your recovery is coming along?

I'm a crippled heap!

I'm a crippled heap!

Have you been to physio? Or is it this evening?

skyblue46 wrote:
    Have you been to physio? Or is it this evening?

7pm this evening. Coz I'm on pain relief meds she'll have to be careful as the pain levels will be masked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I'm a crippled heap!
    Ah crap, sorry to hear this! Hope the session with the physio went ok?

Thursday 1st: 3.3 miles @ 9:07 HR 120. That light is beginning to look ominously like a train. No pain on the run but it would be fair to call it discomfort...enough for me to shorten the run I planned by a couple of miles.

Sunday 4th: 7.5 miles @ 8:52 HR 127. A cracking morning in the Park. After the now routine easing into the run with a limpy jog for a few hundred yards I had no real issues. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There ends any good news. Back home and it was immediately into hobbling around the house.

So it was time for a little bit of soul searching. What to do next? Any plans for hard training or having a right go at Tullamore or Amsterdam are gone. That 90 min half will have to wait until 2020, maybe Seville in January. It'll be nothing but easy running for a few weeks after I eventually shake this hip/leg injury.

On the plus side it means I can pace J in Tullamore, get out for a few easy runs with herself, Damo and Browneyes and concentrate on becoming a DCM supporter! :pac: It also means I'll not have sore legs while watching the rugby World Cup QF with OO- in The Hague :D

• Advertisement

Sympathy pains is what you have. You're far too nice to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

It also means I'll not have sore legs while watching the rugby World Cup QF with OO- in The Hague :D

Be careful man, he's a bad influence :D:D:D

Last few weeks have been frustrating and haven't seen any real progress on the injury. I pretty much spent the few weeks seeing if I could find a pattern...did 6 days of rest help? Did consecutive days running make it worse? Slow or slightly faster make a difference. At the end of it all there was nothing jumping out at me. I ran 9 miles with Damo with only a tiny discomfort, but hobbled around for the evening after a 3 miler. It was time for a second opinion and who better for that than L.

I'm just back from that and all is quite positive. The first physios diagnosis seems to have been pretty accurate. She didn't do much work to free out the area though. L certainly got in there!! Lots of exercises to be getting on with for now and runs drop to 15/20 minutes. The road to recovery (part 2) starts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

Best of luck with the recovery S, cheers for the shout out on Saturday

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the recovery S, cheers for the shout out on Saturday

Not a bother man, sure I'm practically a full time cheerleader and part-time jogger by now! Haha.

Nice run by you. I know you were pacing someone but it shows the value of not redlining on a day like that. A lesson there for us all.

Well I thought I better dig this log out before it sank so far in the archives that I'd never find it again! :(

Nothing much to report really bar a total lack of 'real' progress. It's been about 8 weeks now, the whole summer really. I can run with 95-100% comfort when I run but the occasional discomfort which follows has continuously set me back whenever I feel I'm making a step forward.

Amsterdam will be a bit of half marathon tourism just to experience the event, nothing more. Next week's mini break to the Camino will probably be walk/run as the originally planned 55 mile run in 3 days is unlikely to happen :pac:

It was interesting reading Damo's log and AMKs comments on it regarding pressures, both self imposed and those with their roots in social media. I suppose it is something I have been guilty of too. I've been as much concerned with weekly/ monthly/ annual target mileage, Goals for 2019 thread, Best of 2019 etc as I have with getting the injury sorted. I just didn't want them all to slip into the category of impossible. Now that they have I am finding it easier to just step back as much as I need to.

Lots of great reading in the logs. Well done to all...I'm jealous as fook! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Speedy recovery Sean. You'll be back soon no doubt!!!

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Speedy recovery Sean. You'll be back soon no doubt!!!

I think the good ship Speedy Recovery sailed a long time ago! :pac: Thanks D. Great training going on in your part of the world. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on.

skyblue46 wrote:
    It was interesting reading Damo's log and AMKs comments on it regarding pressures, both self imposed and those with their roots in social media. I suppose it is something I have been guilty of too. I've been as much concerned with weekly/ monthly/ annual target mileage, Goals for 2019 thread, Best of 2019 etc as I have with getting the injury sorted. I just didn't want them all to slip into the category of impossible. Now that they have I am finding it easier to just step back as much as I need to.

I get this completely and is part of the reason I've stepped back completely from Strava in particular.

• Advertisement

I get this completely and is part of the reason I've stepped back completely from Strava in particular.

I haven't stepped back from Strava as I genuinely enjoy looking at the data from people's runs. I've long given up on commenting but I do try to learn from paces, elevation, HR etc etc. I have more of a problem with goals/targets that I set for myself and that now feel pie in the sky! Haha.

Advertisement