Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I get this completely and is part of the reason I've stepped back completely from Strava in particular.
    I think Strava needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's a great tool and I prefer the interface than Garmin for logging my runs. When I was injured earlier this year I stepped back from it. Its synced with my Garmin automatic so my runs were still uploaded but I just stopped looking at what everyone was doing and concentrated on my recovery. I found it added to the anxiety of been injured and how far I was falling behind other runners at my level. In the end I forgot about my goals for the year and set a new one. Recovery slowly and don't rush it. Have faith in the process was my mantra and still is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think Strava needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's a great tool and I prefer the interface than Garmin for logging my runs. When I was injured earlier this year I stepped back from it. Its synced with my Garmin automatic so my runs were still uploaded but I just stopped looking at what everyone was doing and concentrated on my recovery. I found it added to the anxiety of been injured and how far I was falling behind other runners at my level. In the end I forgot about my goals for the year and set a new one. Recovery slowly and don't rush it. Have faith in the process was my mantra and still is

Yeah I get that completely. For me it's that (seeing huge progress for other people while I'm going back to basics) but also the phase I'm heading into. I'm going from injured, to coming back, to maintenance mode while I figure out how two kids under two works. Plus also I've spent way too much time on social media.
    The log has suffered too but again, it's a case of just taking a mental break from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Strava? Nothing to worry about there. To be honest I find it motivational to see how many people are out there absolutely killing themselves. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Strava? Nothing to worry about there. To be honest I find it motivational to see how many people are out there absolutely killing themselves. ;)

Yep I noticed a comment of yours re a clubmate. Leaves me flummoxed to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Murph_D wrote: »

What are ye sayin'

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I haven't stepped back from Strava as I genuinely enjoy looking at the data from people's runs. I've long given up on commenting but I do try to learn from paces, elevation, HR etc etc. I have more of a problem with goals/targets that I set for myself and that now feel pie in the sky! Haha.

Can i ask why you've given up commenting? FWIW i love getting feedback even if it's not what i like to hear... at best i learn/re-evaluate something, at worst, well i can't really see any negative side to being on the receiving end of knowledgeable well intentioned commentary :confused:

I'm sorry your recovery is slow and frustrating. I don't have any words of consolation cos it's just a balls really but with your determination, dedication and talent no doubt you'll make a return to full form in time.

Enjoy the Camino even with the modified plans, i hope you intend to log it on Strava with plenty of photos ;)

Oh of course I'll log it on Strava. If it's not there it didn't happen! :pac: Nice weather is forecast. I'm a bit apprehensive about running with a backpack....and even more apprehensive about carrying everything I need for 5 days in a 25 litre backpack! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Oh of course I'll log it on Strava. If it's not there it didn't happen! :pac: Nice weather is forecast. I'm a bit apprehensive about running with a backpack....and even more apprehensive about carrying everything I need for 5 days in a 25 litre backpack! :pac:
    Just bring way less than you think you'll need because, well... you won't need it! :P
    Really sorry to hear about the setbacks and frustrations. It's been great seeing a few more runs pop up on Strava recently, hope it turns a corner for you soon.

eyrie wrote: »
    Just bring way less than you think you'll need because, well... you won't need it! :P
    Really sorry to hear about the setbacks and frustrations. It's been great seeing a few more runs pop up on Strava recently, hope it turns a corner for you soon.

Plan is to wear track bottoms, tee shirt, runners, socks and training top while travelling. Bag will only have shorts, jocks, socks, oofos, running shirts, toothpaste/brush and charger. I don't think I can survive with less! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Plan is to wear track bottoms, tee shirt, runners, socks and training top while travelling. Bag will only have shorts, jocks, socks, oofos, running shirts, toothpaste/brush and charger. I don't think I can survive with less! :pac:
    What, no hairdryer?? :P

You should be grand for space so, plenty left over to pack in the Spanish wine :pac:. I had a 35L bag doing the Wicklow Way but that was packing for Irish weather (waterproof trousers, raincoat), bringing loads of food, and it still wasn't full. Very jealous, hope you have a great time!

• Advertisement

Santiago-Fisterra (Camino Finisterre)

Well I didn't run for a few days before this in the hope that the hip could handle the upcoming 89kms....not that it did me much good as the rest of me was so broken up after the first morning that I forgot I had a hip injury!! :pac: There's no real point in going into a detailed account of the trip but I'll recount some bits just in case it helps anybody else who is ever thinking of doing it.

Firstly, forget any idea of running it unless you have plenty of hill running behind you. The total elevation was a few feet short of 6,000 over the three days. Secondly, forget running it with a backpack containing everything you need for the trip unless you are used to it. There are companies who will take your bags from one overnight stop to the next over the course of your trip at a very reasonable cost. Thirdly, book your accommodation in advance. This applies particularly if you are looking for a private room with your partner rather than sharing hostel dormitories with 20 other people! :rolleyes:

As you might have guessed from the above we had 'planned' on not planning, on taking each day and each part of it as it came.

Day 1. Santiago-Negreira 12.2 miles: After a lovely evening in Santiago we set off from the square a bit before 10am. It was already a humid 20 degrees but felt really pleasant. The trails weren't the most beautiful on the way through the city suburbs but soon opened up into wooded countryside. The first 6.5 miles were rolling hills before we hit a 1.5 mile climb with 750 feet of elevation. Of course I ran every step of it (very slowly uphill). I felt brilliant doing it as the walkers were amazed by my physical prowess!! :pac: That came back to haunt me the next morning when the DOMS hit....worse than after either of the DCM I did...painful, and that pretty much put an end to any running of more than a km on the subsequent 2 days. Ran another 3 miles before J had a fall and we had to walk the last bit. Spent the afternoon drinking beers with a few Irish walkers we met in a bar. Negreira isn't a very beautiful village to be honest but most people stop there for their first night on this particular Camino which most trips schedule for 4 days in total.

Day 2. Negreira-O Logoso 23.5 miles: The most scenic of the 3 days. Beautiful countryside. As we did on day 2 and 3 we divided it into three stages before stopping for beer and bocadillos of Serrano ham and cheese at each stop :D Again it was a mix of jogging/walking. Great homely feed in the Albergue that night and great chats with hikers and mountainbikers from all over Europe. A great night!

Day 3. O Logoso-Fisterra 20 miles: I think this would probably have been the most picturesque of the 3 days but the mists descended and there was very little visibility. The first 9 miles were through woods and it really was wonderful. It was almost mystical. Later in the day we eventually crested a hill to see Fisterra down below at the end of a near 2kms stretch of beach. We got into the village to then find that the lighthouse which marks the end of the Camino (and was once considered the end of the world) was a further 3kms away...3kms which were like going up to Howth Summit from the steep side! Magnificent scenery when the mist lifted from time to time.

So it was thoroughly enjoyable and very tough. Both the locals and fellow 'Pilgrims' were super friendly. The route was primarily trail but there were some sections where we were on busy roads just walking in the verge or on the hard shoulder. If you, like me, find the smell of eucalyptus nice then you'll be in heaven. There are eucalyptus trees everywhere. It really was a smashing little break :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Did a stretch of it a few years back (other way around, if memory serves) and around April or May, iirc. I ran none of it. :P Yeah, one or two parts were like walking through an industrial estate? Good to hear another positive report.

So.....back to things running related. The hip has improved significantly. It can still cause some discomfort but not as badly as before nor does it last as long. The time has come to see how it responds to some regular running for the first time in 11/12 weeks.

Saturday 21st: Probably about 3 x 1 miles @ C & E's HM pace. A really enjoyable morning.

Sunday 22nd: 40 mins @ 9:21. Testing out the DOMS ridden legs. It made my mind up for me not to run on Monday....stiff as a poker! :o

Tuesday 24th: 60 mins @ 8:47. Nice evening run on the local roads. Ran it too fast for my present fitness level. Duly noted and plan is to slow things right down.

Wednesday 25th: 60 mins @ 8:59. Local roads again. Slowed down a bit but not enough. It's like starting over!

Thursday 26th: Back to the Park at last. Blustery day but loved every minute of it. 60 mins @ 9:17. Pace much more like I need at the moment.

Friday 27th: LSR of sorts. 12 miles, my longest run in 3 months, @ 9:08. I felt that with the Amsterdam half in 3 weeks I'd have to see if I could at least manage to run the time I'd be on my feet for that. All was grand until about mile 9 when I suddenly felt I was just dragging myself along. It was a bit of a trudge to the end. :(

Hopefully I'm not upping things too quickly. I'll be keeping a very close eye on things. Paces for training will remain on the slow side of things and there won't be any session type stuff for at least a month even if everything goes well. The aerobic fitness needs to be rebuilt slowly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hopefully I'm not upping things too quickly. I'll be keeping a very close eye on things. Paces for training will remain on the slow side of things and there won't be any session type stuff for at least a month even if everything goes well. The aerobic fitness needs to be rebuilt slowly.

That's the job alright. Can't recall if aerobic capacity is the same thing. This has been discussed before in either novices, grads or one of the main threads. Can't recall. Does the 6 week base plan have a role here, not necessarily in returning from injury, but in aerobic terms in general?

That's the job alright. Can't recall if aerobic capacity is the same thing. This has been discussed before in either novices, grads or one of the main threads. Can't recall. Does the 6 week base plan have a role here, not necessarily in returning from injury, but in aerobic terms in general?

The base plan will have a role eventually but to be honest the hip isn't up to it. The heart and lungs may be willing to take on a base plan but until I'm pain free it will be nothing but very easy pace.

Nothing much to report. Increasing the plodding miles bit by bit. It'll stay plodding for the foreseeable future with the notable exception of the Amsterdam Half on Sunday week. There won't be any attempt to race it, not will I totally plod it. If the body holds together for another week I think I'll just look to see if I can tip around in 8 min miles for 1:45ish. It's a long way off where I hoped to be when I signed up but such is life. Fitness is gone to $hit, currently running about 40 secs per mile slower than 3 months ago for a similar HR.

Really enjoying reading all the DCM training logs. There is some great training going on and the vast majority of it looks really good. There's a distinct lack of crap training going on. Best of luck to ye all on the taper. I'm looking forward to some onstreet supporting... Unless it's raining!

We should form a club!

We should form a club!

The club nobody wants to be in! Haha. How's you P?

skyblue46 wrote:
    The club nobody wants to be in! Haha. How's you P?

Hit and miss. Right hip started acting up recently. At this stage I just feel like a ball of imbalanced crap. The days, weeks and months of going uninjured and being extremely consistent seem a long time ago. Hard to see light at the end of the tunnel. Hasn't been easy with injury, semi recovery, baby born so lots of sitting around and poor sleep and poor posture changing nappies. Doesn't help being sedentary for periods, muscles shortening etc. Need to get back to physio.

Oh I get you! I can't remember when I last totally enjoyed a run. Yes I have enjoyed parts of them, loved getting out etc but that feeling of all not being right is all pervasive. Before, during and after every run the twinges, pains, instability are like a dark cloud. Should I stop, am I doing harm....head wrecking...

• Advertisement

Yeah it's very frustrating. I've accepted the fact that I need to dedicate at least 2 x half hour slots a week to stretching and foam rolling. Decided not to run and went to the gym today to foam roll the hell out of a numb outer quad, do some core work, glute and hip flexor stuff and I feel no different. Will head to physio Monday and hopefully get some sort of clear plan rather than winging it. If I can land in January ready to base build I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Enjoy the race on Sunday, hope there isn't any/much pain from the hip :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck on Sunday S, have a great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

S, go rock Dutchland, enjoy the boy-bonding, and the run, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Don’t forget those red stilettos you sent me a picture of in case I forgot to say already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck :)

Only take cakes from trustworthy people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Enjoy the trip and the race S!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Enjoy the weekend away Sean. Running; egg chasing; beer and special cakes on the agenda for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have a ball in ADam. Hope the hip behaves.

• Advertisement

If the race report doesn't include the aftermath in the pubs I'll be very disappointed.

Advertisement