Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    I’m happiest for B, that he’s managed to replace TbL in the bromance stakes. ;)

Great stuff, S. It’s what running is all about really (i.e. much more than the running, the people it lets us all meet).

Good luck for Amsterdam ‘20.

So true D...something I have come to realise and enjoy more since I have been forgetting about races, paces, sessions and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    Who’s to say I don’t have my eye on you D, have ran with you more than S!!!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Murph_D wrote: »
    :eek:

The embarrassment emoji was there first!!!

The embarrassment emoji was there first!!!

As if you know what embarrassment is???? Playing with people's feelings like this! :mad::mad:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    As if you know what embarrassment is???? Playing with people's feelings like this! :mad::mad:

Ah give it up you, Shae says hi......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOHeartbreaker

OOHeartbreaker

First time for everything P!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

This is better than a soap opera :D

This is better than a soap opera

Making up for the lack of stories from "the visit"

Which one do you want? The one where he brought me to the gay bar that he seduced TbL in? The brothel visit? Or the one where we got stoned on some top quality weed the night before the half which led to B actually floating his way to a PB the next day?

• Advertisement

Or the one where we got stoned on some top quality weed the night before the half which led to B actually floating his way to a PB the next day?

Ssssh i’ll be done for PED’s FFS........

Glad i made the popcorn now :D

skyblue46 wrote:
    Which one do you want? The one where he brought me to the gay bar that he seduced TbL in? The brothel visit? Or the one where we got stoned on some top quality weed the night before the half which led to B actually floating his way to a PB the next day?

I knew it!

Just to be clear, everyone who’s anyone knows TbL seduced me along the banks of the Royal Canal...... I forgot to say S, you left your leather pants and butt plug in the spare room to!!!

Well with the day that's in it this seemed like an appropriate time to drag this log up from the deepest and darkest bowels of the Boards archives....

As many are doing I'll throw an eye back over 2019. In terms of my own running it was an unmitigated disaster. The year was one in which I never once got near full fitness. 1864 miles but the first six months in recovery/improving mode and the last 6 months a diet of very easy miles trying to manage the hip.

In other things running related it was great. I get a real kick out of watching races and giving the occasional on course shout. I have also taken to reading lots about training and have found myself hugely interested in it. But without a doubt the high point of the year was the trip to Den Haag....not the race in Amsterdam specifically but the great few days I had and the company I kept.

2020....who knows? I have been building the mileage back up and got to 186 in December, my highest since June. The hip issue seems to be under control. The only problem at the moment is that anything faster than easy brings on some tightness here or there. The legs have had too long doing nothing but easy running.

I have already entered Amsterdam Marathon so that's the long term goal. Short term there will be none. It's simply about getting fitness back to where I want it to be. I'll probably do a few races but more as training runs or range finders.

Congrats to those involved in some great racing since DCM. There have been a few really encouraging performances around these parts. Great to see Swashbuckler hitting the road hard again too.

Happy New Year to ye all, may it bring everything you hope for :)

Happy New Year S, you can cheer me on to a new half PB when your done running a marathon PB. May 2020 be a better one in regards your running goals.

Happy New Year S, you can cheer me on to a new half PB when your done running a marathon PB. May 2020 be a better one in regards your running goals.

My target for that is to get to the point we watched the marathon finish this year before you have to leave to warm up and head to your pen...based on 2019 that would need about 3:10 I think :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Happy New Year Sean; here is hoping to a better year fitness wise for you in 2020.

Despite it all you still managed to rack up serious mileage; you are approaching the recovery very sensibly and that will stand to you in the long run.

You will be back out in the White and Green singlet soon enough.

Happy New Year Sean; here is hoping to a better year fitness wise for you in 2020.

Despite it all you still managed to rack up serious mileage; you are approaching the recovery very sensibly and that will stand to you in the long run.

You will be back out in the White and Green singlet soon enough.

Thanks C. Not sure about that though. :pac:

A few weeks back Mellow said on his log that you'd be surprised how quickly it comes back. Today gave me optimism. I hope the same for you S. Have faith. And patience.

• Advertisement

A few weeks back Mellow said on my log that you'd be surprised how quickly it comes back. Today gave me optimism. I hope the same for you S. Have faith. And patience.

Thanks P. I'm actually fairly positive about things now. I just don't want the distraction/temptation of target races or aiming for times. It'll be a nice slow build up

skyblue46 wrote:
    Thanks P. I'm actually fairly positive about things now. I just don't want the distraction/temptation of target races or aiming for times. It'll be a nice slow build up

Yep that's the way to go. I went into today with the attitude of just trying to enjoy it. Running Adare in Feb. No interest in forcing anything for that. Same with great limerick half. Back to basics and build slowly. Consistency over pbs.

I started this log back up again so I better start doing a weekly report!

First of all a little recent background to put context on this week. Since I took the two weeks off and began strengthening exercises for the hip I have begun to build mileage slowly. Weekly mileage has averaged 9:00 min/mile pace as I ease back into things. Seven weeks ago I ran 18 miles and the subsequent weeks before this week were 19, 27, 37, 45, 50 and a step back Christmas week of 42 miles. Over the last couple of weeks I have introduced a small amount of slightly faster running with mixed results. There has been no problem with the hip but a little bit of DOMS from time to time.

After a little bit of looking at HR on recent runs, remembering how easy a 1:40 HM in Amsterdam was and looking at past paces I have decided to base training paces on a 20:30 5k. It's a bit random I know but I think it's erring on the side of safety. It should allow me to build my way slowly back into sessions. I'll put up as much info as I can for now. All constructive comments or criticisms are more than welcome :)

Monday 30th: 3 mile recovery run @ 9:54.
    AV HR: 117. HR Zones: 37%<Z1, 63% Z1

Tuesday 31st: Rest Day

Wednesday 1st: 8.33 miles incl w/u, 10* 1 min hills, c/d. I did this with E and a very enjoyable little session it was on the Khyber. Paces were around 6:30/6:40 so pretty much where I needed to be. 2.5 min jog recoveries. First run with a new watch with built in HR...it was sh1t for the first half of the run so I have gone back to the old chest strap.
    AV HR: 147. HR Zones: 5% Z1, 45% Z2, 12% Z3, 37% Z4, 1% Z5. (Note: these can be taken with a pinch of salt)

Thursday 2nd: 7.2 miles @ 9:00. Some local miles. Bumped into MisterPaul en route. Nothing else :confused:
    AV HR: 125. HR Zones: 10%<Z1, 62% Z1, 25% Z2, 3% Z3

Friday 3rd: 7.2 miles @ 8:45. Similar loop. More vanilla miles.
    AV HR: 127. HR Zones: 4%<Z1, 65% Z1, 31% Z2.

Saturday 4th: 9.5 miles @ 8:28 incl 45 mins moderate (8:19-8:34). Well that was the plan but after 33 mins at 8:18 pace I felt a bit like stretching the legs a little so gradually picked it up to tempo to finish out the 45 minutes. Cracking morning/early afternoon on the Furze/OS lap.
    AV HR: 139. HR Zones: 1%<Z1, 8% Z1, 68% Z2, 21% Z3, 2% Z4

Sunday 5th: 17.4 miles @ 9:05. Arranged to meet E for this. Her plan was 12 miles and mine was 14. I got there a bit early to get my 2 miles done before she arrived. Her slightly tardy timekeeping meant I had 3.5 miles done before she was at the appointed meeting place :D Not to worry, a 15.5 mile run wouldn't hurt and if I felt tired I could abandon before she finished her 12. So off we set at a nice leisurely pace until a mile and a half later I was shocked by a profanity emanating from my left. Someone, not me, had forgotten to press start on their watch ;) There followed an announcement that she couldn't put 10.5 miles on Strava so we'd have to do another 12!!! I had 5 miles done at this point but decided I'd give it an ill advised crack. :rolleyes:

For some reason today I didn't want to do the usual little loops in the Park so headed out and down the quays and a quick tour of DNS including O Connell Street, The Spire, The Rotunda, Summerhill, Ballybough, Croker, Mountjoy jail :pac:, up along the Royal Canal Way passing numerous runners including annapr, killer swans and dangerous terriers :p We left the canal path at Ashtown and headed back into the park. A really enjoyable run....
    AV HR: 137 HR Zones: 2%< Z1, 8% Z1, 68% Z2, 21% Z3, 2% Z4.

HR Zones Z1: 117-130, Z2: 131-143, Z3: 144-156, Z4: 157-168, Z5: >169

Weekly Miles: 52.7
    YTD Miles: 49.7

Well done on an impressive week Sean, genuinely happy to see it falling into place for you :)

For anyone who would like the TRUE version of todays events, i will be updating my log shortly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Sean a touch economical with the truth? Some running from you pair this morning!

Well done on an impressive week Sean, genuinely happy to see it falling into place for you :)

For anyone who would like the TRUE version of todays events, i will be updating my log shortly ;)

Sean a touch economical with the truth? Some running from you pair this morning!

Hmmm just a touch...the dangerous terrier is the same little dog he decided to play chicken with & had to swerve abruptly to avoid because this terrior meant business:D

There will be more to follow in my log...

Hmmm just a touch...the dangerous terrier is the same little dog he decided to play chicken with & had to swerve abruptly to avoid because this terrior meant business:D

There will be more to follow in my log...

I didn't swerve it...I jumped over it :D

I didn't swerve it...I jumped over it :D

Was that a jump:eek:

Was that a jump:eek:

Brittle bones very common in 60 year old men!!

• Advertisement

Brittle bones very common in 60 year old men!!

I keep telling you I only look aged...46 remember...eternal middle age :pac:

Advertisement