Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Rolling along nicely S. Nice to see you coming into form again.

Thanks Paul. Aerobically I have never been in better nick if the various apps are to be believed. Unfortunately there's a long way to go on speed endurance and anaerobic levels. I'm not in a hurry...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    Thanks Paul. Aerobically I have never been in better nick if the various apps are to be believed. Unfortunately there's a long way to go on speed endurance and anaerobic levels. I'm not in a hurry...

Well that's a good place to be. Solid base to build from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Good man S, motoring along nicely. How has the injury front been now that sessions are creeping back in? Are you sticking to any stretching routines or anything of the like?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Good man S, motoring along nicely. How has the injury front been now that sessions are creeping back in? Are you sticking to any stretching routines or anything of the like?

Still doing the stuff with the resistance bands Damo. Not daily but keeping it going. Injury is grand. I know it'll probably have to be watched for a long time. It still feels 'different' at times but no pain or restriction of movement.

Monday 10th: 4.18 miles @ 8:49. HR 123. Just a few recovery miles after the previous day's session.

Tuesday 11th: 15.27 miles @ 8:33 HR 141. A mostly hugely enjoyable run on a stormy day. Ran over to the Phoenix Park, did a lap of it and then home via the canal. The only part that wasn't enjoyable was that the only time the weather gods decided that a 5 degree drop in temperature, a 30 mph head wind and a snow shower would happen was for the few minutes I was climbing Military Road and the S Bends, the most exposed part of the park! It was fooking horrible, a huge effort just to move forward. HR on the run was a bit higher than it has been the last few weeks.

Wednesday 12th: 7 miles @ 8:46 HR 135. The day that shaped my week. As can be seen by the comparison to Monday my HR was very high. It confirmed what I had felt the day before. Either I was coming down with something (thankfully it turned out not to be), my increase in training over the last 6 weeks was too much or my session/ long run were too close together. Either way I decided to take the foot off the gas a bit.

Thursday 13th: 5.73 miles @ 8:52 HR 124. I did this with only HR showing on the watch. I wanted to keep this at or below 125 average. Was pleasantly surprised afterwards to see the pace wasn't snail slow :)

Friday 14th: 6.88 miles @ 9:02 HR 122. I just developed the theme ever so slightly and adjusted my heart rate average to 122 which is 55% of my HRR, recovery range.

Saturday 15th: Rest Day

Sunday 16th: After the debacle that was Hartstown parkrun a few weeks ago I had begun to introduce a little bit of 'pace' into a few sessions. I also wanted to actually learn how to run when the going got tough all over again. I had decided I needed to race a few times but unfortunately I only have 3 weekends off from the end of January to the end of April so chances would be limited. A quick browse of events for this date led me to the Enniscorthy 10km so that was promptly booked. I mentioned it to Laineyfrecks early in the week and she decided to come as well.

Got to Enniscorthy nice and early to collect shirt and number. I have to admit to feeling a bit nervous about getting out there again. With no recent race times or race pace sessions of note I had absolutely no idea what sort of pace I should target. As the theme of the week had become HR I had looked back on my last 10k in June. I had pretty much held a 170 HR for this but had ended it in a proper jock...totally banjaxed! :( Without any specific training I randomly ended up choosing 165 as a heart rate I would try to maintain this time. A lack of speed endurance work though left question marks over even this.

The warm up with E raised even more alarms...jogging along at 10 min/mile pace with a gale blowing behind and my HR was up to 150!! Could I really be this nervous of racing?? Panic was setting in :eek: Thankfully it was just a faulty reading for the first mile or so and it soon dropped down.

So that was it. Warm up done, only HR on display on the watch and a simple plan to keep the average just below 165 and not to ever stray much above it. In hindsight it wasn't a bad plan as the gradient changes and gale force winds meant running based on pace was never going to work.

The start was a bit of a mess. The heavens opened just before it was due to start. Everyone was huddled together and just wanted to get going. We were off....50 metres later some loud shouts made it clear we shouldn't have been! Take 2....a cleaner start and off we went.

Mile 1: Hmm very difficult to run on HR when it's starting from a low level...it just meant running at a pace that seemed right while watching the average rise. By the end of this mile Strava tells me my average was 152 but I remember that by then I had hit my 165 ceiling. It was a gradual downhill with a good but slightly sheltered breeze from behind. Strava tells me it was 6:55 pace.

Mile 2: The course profile for this mile would be V shaped. HR dropped below 160 on the downhill section but I knew what was ahead...a decent climb into a gale on a wide open main road. Concentrated on the magic number and it felt like I was running soooo slowly on the uphill. HR for the mile averaged 162 and Strava tells me it was 7:01.

Mile 3: Much tougher. All a gradual uphill or false flat. All into the wind. HR touched 168 at times but got the average back to 165. 7:10 pace. Turned off the main road and some welcome relief from the buffeting. Passed the 5k clock at 22 mins approx, the first clue I had as to how the time was going. About 2 mins behind where I want to get to by the summer but it is what it is.

Mile 4: A repeat of mile 1 as it was a two lap race :pac: Wind assisted, slight downhill. It was about here that I began to pass people. Average HR for the mile was 165, split was 6:54.

Mile 5: The V mile. HR was about 160 on the downhill and again a struggle to keep it below 168 on the uphill for a while before fatigue began to really hit. Pace and HR dropped for a bit. HR for this bit averaged 163 over the 6:51 duration of the mile.

Mile 6: This is what I came here for....to relearn pain!! :pac::pac: The hill, the wind and dead legs. HR up to 167 but afraid to slow myself in case my already slowing pace became a standstill :eek: 7:09 for the mile with a 167 HR

Mile 0.2: It apparently is downhill and on a calm day would be a super fast finish. On this day, for this man, not so. Gravity increased the pace? to 6:25 and my HR plummeted to 166 :pac: Chip time 43:28. Overall 78/333. M50 9/24

Out for a couple of cooldown miles and then in for some grub. A huge spread but if I was to be a bit critical there were not enough sambos. There were copious amounts of cakes and biscuits for those with a sweeter tooth.

It's a really well run race with numbers, stewarding and refreshments all top class. The new course for me isn't as nice as the old one with it being two laps and half it being on a main road.

As for my run...delighted to get it done. I know it's worth a lot more than 43:28 on a better day but that's irrelevant for now. Let the slow progress continue. :D

Weekly miles: 50.9
    Monthly miles: 118.8
    YTD miles: 369

Sorry about the nature of the race report but it's for me primarily ;) I think I will try a few more races based on HR alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good man S, if conditions at home were half as bad as here yesterday, that’s a much better performance on a better day as you said.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good man S, if conditions at home were half as bad as here yesterday, that’s a much better performance on a better day as you said.

Honestly B the time wasn't a concern. It was about pinning on a number again and getting free food...the times might come again, if not the sun will still rise tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I understand it in this case as you were just dipping your toe, but what is your rationale for wanting to be guided by HR in future races?

Can see merits in it at 26.2 but surely it's detrimental to performance at shorter distances?

Lazare wrote: »
    I understand it in this case as you were just dipping your toe, but what is your rationale for wanting to be guided by HR in future races?

Can see merits in it at 26.2 but surely it's detrimental to performance at shorter distances?

As I pointed out and you acknowledge it was a case of getting myself back into things. At the same time it should be said that all distances I run, 5k and up, are primarily endurance events.

The basis for what HR is appropriate for me at any given distance would take some refining but as a principle I think it is solid. There is only so long we can hold any % of our max HR. At the moment it's a way to ensure I don't blow up chasing times I am not ready for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well done S, great to see ya back in race mode.

Super patience shown the past few months which is sure to bear fruit later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    As I pointed out and you acknowledge it was a case of getting myself back into things. At the same time it should be said that all distances I run, 5k and up, are primarily endurance events.

The basis for what HR is appropriate for me at any given distance would take some refining but as a principle I think it is solid. There is only so long we can hold any % of our max HR. At the moment it's a way to ensure I don't blow up chasing times I am not ready for.

Oh yeah, definitely a solid strategy right now. When you're match fit though, which you will be soon enough an oul risk of a blow up is a good thing. :)

Would be a good aid for a negative split actually come to think of it. It would be getting ignored beyond halfway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great report S and I think I have a sense of the logic involved in your running. Hold onto what gets you out. You certainly appear to be giving yourself every chance judging by your training in recent weeks. Should the urge to "race hard" return you will be well placed with some tweaking.

ps....am with ya on the sambo's.

Not much to report this week...just more building.

Monday 17th: 4.24 miles @ 9:23 after the previous day's 10k.

Tuesday 18th: 6.94 miles @ 8:41

Wednesday 19th: session of sorts. 1,2,3,2,1 mins @ 6:40 off 60 secs, 4 min jog, 1km in 3:44. Nice and controlled all through...as it should be at those paces :pac:

Thursday 20th: 7.25 miles @ 8:51

Friday 21st: Another little session. 16* 1 min on/off @ 6:30/6:40. No problems except the wind which meant the effort levels weren't always the same.

Saturday 22nd: As I mentioned last week I'm going to have to juggle the plan for my weeks around so that I do long runs on my days off. This was one. A nice run from home over to the Park, the best part of a lap and home via the Canal. I added a bit of minor stuff by upping the pace on some of the drags such as Military Road, Glen Road and up out of the Furry Glen. 14.31 miles @ 8:31

Sunday 23rd: A very very gentle recovery run of 3.69 miles @ 9:34.

Weekly miles: 53.1
    Monthly miles: 171.9
    Yearly miles: 422.2
    Rolling year miles: 2206.3

Wow, 5 weeks without an update! :eek: That went quickly but it’s a different time we’re living in now. Hopefully all of us and all our loved ones come out the far end in one piece.

On the more mundane topic of running thankfully everything is going really well at the moment. I’m properly enjoying my training. A summary of the past few weeks is very easy….6/7 days running a week totaling about 50 miles of which one or two days are at true recovery pace. Throw in a 13-15 mile long run, a couple of sessions and an easy day or two. The key to the enjoyment for me has been the freedom of not following a plan and not being in a hurry to get to where I want to be. To this end I have mixed up the sessions while at the same time maintaining a progression. Bits of tempo, bits faster than 5k, bits at HM and some mixed hill sprints. Thankfully so far everything seems to be moving slowly in the right direction and keeping fatigue to a minimum. I went 7 months without a session so their reintroduction has been fairly conservative. Doing long runs on my days off rather than doing them on a Sunday after work has also been a big plus.

The 2km rule at the moment brings its’ challenges but they are something I look forward to. It’ll mean coming up with a few new routes but that’s part of the fun….thank God for onthegomap and 2kmfromhome sites! I’m taking a fairly liberal interpretation of the “brief” part of the exercise guidelines but what would you expect from the son of a 79 year old man who said b0llix to Leo and his cocooning and goes out for a 20 mile cycle every day and all within 2k...3 weeks after having a small stroke!! :D

Thanks to Barry for his work on the 5k TT. Its something I’m looking forward to even if I won’t be changing a thing in advance of it. Getting back under 20 mins would be more than enough for me right now.

I’ll get to proper weekly logging from here as it might encourage some constructive criticism of my self training.

Stay healthy folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

God that must be how my friend could help me sort my route using the onthegomap & 2kmfromhome sites:eek: And here was me thinking they worked it out themselves & would almost have called them a genius;)

God that must be how my friend could help me sort my route using the onthegomap & 2kmfromhome sites:eek: And here was me thinking they worked it out themselves & would almost have called them a genius;)

Ah genius is probably a bit strong. Think of the poor unfortunates who can't plan a route even with those simple apps at their disposal...beyond help!

Ah genius is probably a bit strong. Think of the poor unfortunates who can't plan a route even with those simple apps at their disposal...beyond help!

Imagine having to coach one of those poor unfortunates:eek: Sure you'd pull your hair out;)

Imagine having to coach one of those poor unfortunates:eek: Sure you'd pull your hair out;)

If I had hair :pac::pac:

If I had hair :pac::pac:

Lucky for your coachee so:D

Lucky for your coachee so:D

Advisee ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I’m taking a fairly liberal interpretation of the “brief” part of the exercise guidelines but what would you expect from the son of a 79 year old man who said b0llix to Leo and his cocooning and goes out for a 20 mile cycle every day and all within 2k...3 weeks after having a small stroke!! :D

The IT says he's 78 ;) Lovely article. Fair play to your dad.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    The IT says he's 78 ;) Lovely article. Fair play to your dad.

I should have said near 79....

He's being demonized on Twitter but doesn't care haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work Sean, sub-20 me eye. What shoes will you be wearing?

Off now to find that article about your Da.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Your Dad sounds like a legend! Great article.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice work Sean, sub-20 me eye. What shoes will you be wearing?

Off now to find that article about your Da.

Not sure what shoes I'll wear D but I think everyone knows what shoes I won't be wearing :pac:

As for the time...I had started a plan towards BH and I'm going to stick to it even though it's unlikely to be held. The TT will just be a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Enjoyed the article about your Da. Where was the photo taken? I'm guessing Gravediggers.

Enjoyed the article about your Da. Where was the photo taken? I'm guessing Gravediggers.

You're not the first person to guess that! It was actually taken on a trip to the Aran Islands last summer. I'll have to find out which one. :)

Edit: it was a pub in Kilronan

I may as well keep updating this....in the absence of an open pub to go to :o

Monday 30th: 5.44 miles @ 9:07. After a little session the day before this was just a recovery run. Like many on here I had taken a look at the 2km radius and decided to touch off it in a few places at the southern end. If nothing else it made for a change of scenery.

Tuesday 31st: 15.11 miles @ 8:40. Long run day and the last one I'll do over 13 miles for the next while. Doing a long run in the 2k radius forces quite a few uphill drags into things..or probably better to say one fairly long drag from the Tolka, up Mobhi Road and Ballymun Road and left up to Poppintree.

Wednesday 1st: 7.5 miles @ 10:02. In order to fend of likely cabin fever setting in I am planning to run every day through this period. In order to safely do this I will be doing one run like this every week...call it a regeneration run if you like. It's basically a shuffle around the place :pac:

Thursday 2nd: 7.15 miles @ 8:33. My local little loop with a few laps of Johnstown Park thrown in. Public parks really are not a great place to run any more...walkers, dogs, leads, dogsh1t, people congregating for a chat and very few even attempting social distancing. :mad:

Friday 3rd: 5*3 mins @ 6:10 off 3 mins. This is just the early stages of the 5k work. Unfortunately it won't be even nearly finished by the 25th but no worries. Hopefully it will bear fruit come June. This session follows on from a 10*1 mins and 6*2 mins over the past couple of weeks. Recoveries will stay at 3 mins over the next few weeks as the volume of pace work gradually increases. Warm up and cooldown brought the total to 8.64 miles.

Saturday 4th: 7.06 miles @ 8:57 I was struggling for a bit of motivation for a route and got some inspiration from a run I saw Paul K do a couple of days previously. The plan was simple enough...run every road in the estate I live in, move to the next estate, and the next....until my hour was up. I did every road, cul de sac, and keyhole that could be done. It really helped the time pass as I spent most of my time with an imaginary map in my mind trying to ensure I missed nowhere. :pac:

Sunday 7th: Session. 3*(4,3,2,1 mins @ 6:40-50 off 60 secs) with 4 minutes jog between sets. I have a nice flat lap for this sort of session which is great at the moment as I can pretty much do it all on the road and only have to cross 3 roads on the mile loop. Wind was strong and made one side of the square a bit easier than it should have been and another a bit more difficult. All said it was a nice little CV type session. Total for the day was 9.87 miles.

Tomorrow is long run day so I'll put the thinking cap on for a route inside the 2k radius for a 13 miler. I'm dropping back from the 15 miles I have been doing recently as the sessions are starting to step up a bit mileage wise.

• Advertisement

Monday 8th: 13 miles @ 8:38. I decided to do a route where I would touch off the North, South, East and West border of my 2km world. Then followed one hour and fifty three minutes of uphill or into the wind running :o The shorter runs in the cell are more manageable but my head is getting properly fried on the long runs. When all this is over I will start a month of not doing any running within a 2k radius...not one step!!

Advertisement