Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Monday 8th: 13 miles @ 8:38. I decided to do a route where I would touch off the North, South, East and West border of my 2km world. Then followed one hour and fifty three minutes of uphill or into the wind running :o The shorter runs in the cell are more manageable but my head is getting properly fried on the long runs. When all this is over I will start a month of not doing any running within a 2k radius...not one step!!

Fair play ! I can’t face long runs at all and I can’t believe I’m saying it but I can’t wait to do them again ambling along chatting very far away from home .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Tuesday 7th: Yes it was the 7th even though in my entry on the Monday I had decided it was the 8th :confused: Anyway got a nice easy 4 miles @ recovery HR average of 122 @ 8:57 pace. No social distancing problems.

Wednesday 8th: Session day. 5*3:30 @ 6:10 pace off 3 mins jog. This has been a gradual progression from 2 and 3 minute reps. Next up will be 4 mins. Did the work on a quiet residential loop and was able to do it all on the road. It was tough going in places but another one ticked off. 8.99 miles incl before and after...not even remotely tempted to continue a second longer when the workout ended at that distance, I'm not that OCD :pac:

Thursday 9th: 9 miles at 8:24. Nice easy run. One driver on a section of dual carriageway took offence to me running towards him in the cycle lane. His gesticulations were responded to in typical Northside sign language :D

Friday 10th: 8.5 miles @ 8:29. Very similar to the previous day's run but thankfully no a-holes were encountered. Far too many Desperados and IPA was consumed later in the evening :(

Saturday 11th: Oh sweet Jesus I was hanging! My initial plan had been to increase the distance of some previous Tempos but with the heat and the hangover I decided to change it slightly. I stuck to the 3*10 mins off 2 mins but it seemed wiser to just do it at the heart rate that I averaged on previous broken tempo efforts. This would ensure effort was kept steady rather than chasing a pace. It was a wise move as the paces of 7:11, 7:17 and 7:34 indicate. Without the HR cap I would have been chasing 7:05ish pace. 4*30 sec bursts off 60 secs jog and a cooldown brought the total miles to 10.3

A decent week all told and just a little recovery run to come tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Desperados, never darken my door again thank you!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Desperados, never darken my door again thank you!!!

:pac::pac: I find them great for an immediate post run refreshment...

:pac::pac: I find them great for an immediate post run refreshment...

Insert puking emoji!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Proud ye made it out at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Jager bomb for breakfast sets you right up for the day after a session like that......... You're welcome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You offering lessons in Northsidese via Zoom?

You offering lessons in Northsidese via Zoom?

I'm too old for that...Skype maybe :pac:

Sunday 12th: 7.4 miles @ 9:35. A lovely leisurely evening jog. I've taken to doing 1 or 2 of these 'regeneration' runs since the lockdown has led me to running every day of the week. The plan is to continue to do a long run, 2 sessions and 2 easy days. To make sure I'm not overdoing things I'm throwing these slower than recovery runs in. They are a shuffle really. This one didn't even reach 50% of HRR.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 7th: Yes it was the 7th even though in my entry on the Monday I had decided it was the 8th :confused: Anyway got a nice easy 4 miles @ recovery HR average of 122 @ 8:57 pace. No social distancing problems.

Wednesday 8th: Session day. 5*3:30 @ 6:10 pace off 3 mins jog. This has been a gradual progression from 2 and 3 minute reps. Next up will be 4 mins. Did the work on a quiet residential loop and was able to do it all on the road. It was tough going in places but another one ticked off. 8.99 miles incl before and after...not even remotely tempted to continue a second longer when the workout ended at that distance, I'm not that OCD :pac:

Thursday 9th: 9 miles at 8:24. Nice easy run. One driver on a section of dual carriageway took offence to me running towards him in the cycle lane. His gesticulations were responded to in typical Northside sign language :D

Friday 10th: 8.5 miles @ 8:29. Very similar to the previous day's run but thankfully no a-holes were encountered. Far too many Desperados and IPA was consumed later in the evening :(

Saturday 11th: Oh sweet Jesus I was hanging! My initial plan had been to increase the distance of some previous Tempos but with the heat and the hangover I decided to change it slightly. I stuck to the 3*10 mins off 2 mins but it seemed wiser to just do it at the heart rate that I averaged on previous broken tempo efforts. This would ensure effort was kept steady rather than chasing a pace. It was a wise move as the paces of 7:11, 7:17 and 7:34 indicate. Without the HR cap I would have been chasing 7:05ish pace. 4*30 sec bursts off 60 secs jog and a cooldown brought the total miles to 10.3

A decent week all told and just a little recovery run to come tomorrow. :)

How the hell did I miss this!! That you, Mr always right, made a mistake on your log :eek:

Monday 13th: 4.3 miles @ 7:41. I headed out for a very easy 40 minutes on a bright sunny evening with the advice from a certain freckly birdy in my ears. This advice was that it was nice and warm out. So out I went in a tee shirt. One very easy mile later the cold easterly wind had caused what felt like early stage hypothermia to set in so I just picked it up bit by bit to the end to get warm...really enjoyed it though. A nice start to the week :)

Complaining after a few pints Saturday and moaning about the cold today........ Next you’ll be giving out your Ovaltine was to hot and your hot water bottle was to cold!!!!

Complaining after a few pints Saturday and moaning about the cold today........ Next you’ll be giving out your Ovaltine was to hot and your hot water bottle was to cold!!!!

It's not easy being old and decrepit!! :( Did I forget to mention my bad back and plantar fasciitis last week? I think I'll have to revise my target for the TT to 22 minutes.

Monday 13th: 4.3 miles @ 7:41. I headed out for a very easy 40 minutes on a bright sunny evening with the advice from a certain freckly birdy in my ears. This advice was that it was nice and warm out. So out I went in a tee shirt. One very easy mile later the cold easterly wind had caused what felt like early stage hypothermia to set in so I just picked it up bit by bit to the end to get warm...really enjoyed it though. A nice start to the week :)

So we are even ;)

Tuesday 14th: 8 miles @ 8:28 This was a nice sunny day and another day of adding more roads to my collection within the 2km radius. I'm fast running out of areas in which I might actually half enjoy jogging around. There are certainly some areas left which won't exactly set the pulse racing....in fact I'll be more likely to meet many of the cast of Inside the K! :eek:

Wednesday 15th: I got a Whatsapp message from Damo to let me know that the Adrian Kennedy show on 98FM were doing an item about " spitting, coughing, spluttering joggers" on their phone in show. I had a quick look at comments (mostly made by monosyllabic numpties) on the Facebook page and couldn't resist taking a cut at them. Cue a message from the show asking would I go on air when they came to that piece. Once again I couldn't resist :rolleyes: In all honesty I expected a bit of a head to head with a phone in nut job but that never came to pass. It was just a few questions from the host in which I did my best to put across the idea that it wasn't a battle between runners and walkers and that all it needed was for both to use common sense and a bit of manners.

After that it was 14.65 miles @ 8:30. As I mentioned previously I am finding the long runs inside the circle to be a proper head melt. I changed my mind about where to go about 10 times as I went around...not really enjoyable.

Thursday 16th: 8.9 miles @ 9:03. Another of my now regular very very easy runs. More streets added to the collection on yet another smashing sunny day.

Friday 17th: A repeat of last Saturday's session as I just hadn't got that one right. I did the session on the same loop within the DCU campus as last week so I could make a direct comparison. Much happier this time around. I kept the HR a few beats lower and ran to it rather than to a pace. The splits for each 10 minute rep were nice and tight (7:13, 7:12, 7:12). This compared to the drop off in paces (7:11, 7:17, 7:34) on Saturday was very pleasing. :)

Saturday 18th: 8.3 miles @ 9.22 done locally in Johnstown Park. I just felt like I needed a day on grass to give the legs a change from concrete. It felt good but very repetitive....12 laps.

Sunday 19th: 5*4 mins @ 6:15-20. This has nothing to do with the TT. In fact it's about half way into my plan for BH but I'll continue with it anyway and maybe have a real go at a TT in late May. Another progression next week to 4*5 mins is the plan.

Monday 20th: 5 miles recovery. Down to DCU, a lap of the campus and home. Our area is so so quiet with college closed, it's so strange. I miss the smell of burgers and the chatter of students from the student bar as I run past it.

So tomorrow I'm going to try the guided threshold test on the watch. I have no reason to expect it to be accurate but it'll be something different to do.

Tuesday 21st: Tip to myself...RTFM :rolleyes: With very little to do this evening I went to have a look at how this Garmin Guided Threshold Test feature on my watch worked. No sooner had I started exploring the available functions on the watch and I got distracted. A few minutes later and I was lost in getting Garmin Pay set up on the watch. It's pretty easy to do and may well come in handy some day. I then found a Garmin Coach HM plan and signed up for that just to see what sort of plan it is. Before you get any sighting of the plan you have to do a benchmark test. No worries, I'll do that after the threshold test :) Another hour spent exploring the watch and by then I'd had enough.

Off I headed this morning fully expecting the threshold test to be like any other workout set up on the watch. Sadly for me it wasn't. After the warm up I somehow managed to delete it. No bother, do an extended warm up and try again. Once more after the warm up I was failing to move it on to the test. I gave up! At least this time I didn't delete it. :o The training plan benchmark test was dummy proof thankfully...2 mins jog, 5 mins hard, 2 mins jog. There was no pace suggested for the hard effort. I set off at slower than 5k pace and moved it through to a bit faster than mile pace by the end and by then it felt hard :pac:

Not wanting to be beaten without a fight I decided on one last effort to negotiate the threshold test. I used the warm up as a cooldown after the hard effort I had just finished and miracle of miracles I managed to get the test to start. It turned out to be 15 mins of progression in blocks of 4,4,4 and 3 minutes through gradually increasing HR zones. I was definitely working by the end....enough to indicate that 20 mins for a 5k TT is unlikely. :rolleyes:

I ignored the result it spat out at the end because Garmin Vo2 Max estimates and race time predictions are off the scale and I have no reason to believe this test to be any more accurate. Bottom line is the 2 tests combined made for a nice little workout and were a pleasant change during these days of repetitive runs :) The whole lot came to a touch over 10 miles.

Wednesday 22nd: 8.26 easy miles @8:19 on the new normal loops, DCU and my planned TT lap. Another super morning. 45 mins of this is from week 1 of the Garmin Connect coached HM plan which I might include bits of to keep variety in things.

Thursday 23rd: Similar loops but less of them. 7.1 miles @ 8.33. 45 of the minutes were again prescribed by Garmin.

Friday 24th: 3.23 miles very easy @ 8:46 incl 4 easy strides. TT shakeout.

Saturday 25th: BOARDS 5K TT.

The big day...lots of great chat on the thread all week long. To be honest I was amazed at the numbers intending to take part. It seems that posters past and present as well as some lurkers were all up for it. I doubt B foresaw this when he set it up :pac: Once again a big thanks to him for all is efforts.

My Garmin 'session' for the day was to be 20 mins and 8*20 sec strides so I did this as my warm up...I know, I know...serious beast mode!! :D

My route was 3 laps and a bit of a 1 mile loop I regularly run on. While it is pretty much flat I am aware of the few spots which give you a breather and the spots which pull on the legs a little bit. As for a target time, I had settled on 20 mins based on recent 5K specific and tempo work I had been doing. As reps had moved up from 1,2,3 and finally 4 mins I had to slow them down to get them done. 6:25 per mile seemed a fair target. I left the lap alerts on the watch at miles but set up a 5k workout on the watch to be run at 3:53-4:00 mins per km. All that I looked at for the duration of the TT was the average pace and each mile split.

Mile 1: It seems that I was like most people and set off a bit fast with 3:35 appearing on screen as the average pace. I backed the pace off until it showed 3:59 and settled in at that pace. For the whole of the mile the screen showed 3:58-4:00. I was working but feeling ok. The beep for the first mile drew my attention to the screen and it showed 6:21

Mile 2: At this point all I thought was that 19:56 was on if I just kept the pace going. Midway through the mile and still feeling good I picked it up a bit...just enough to bring the average to 3:56 per km. Still feeling good, in truth feeling better than I had at the same pace doing 4 minute repeats a week previously.:confused: I kept trundling along waiting for the hurt to hit. Mile beeped at 6:14 and 19:40 was looking possible

Mile 3: At the beginning of the last lap I decided to up the pace again. While my PB is 19:11 it is from Bob Heffernan which is a slightly downhill course. The best 'flat' time i have is 19:25/6 from the BHAA Bristol Myers Squibb race. Now was the time to go for it, just gradually up the pace to the finish if I could. The average pace was starting to drop 3:55, then 54, 53...half a mile to go. Quick mental maths told me if I held the 3:53 average I'd just get the BMS time...push more...the average dropping again...3:52,51...I turn onto Glasnevin Avenue, 400m to go all slightly downhill...My legs just won't turnover any faster..3:50 average..I know if I can get it down to 3:48 then 19 mins is possible. The mile beeps and I quickly look at the watch...3:49 average...PUSH!!

.1 and beyond: I pour everything I have into the last 150m or so and finally I hear the workout countdown...beep,beep,beep,beep...DONE!!! I fall against the Credit Union wall...could I possibly have pushed it under 19?? I look at the watch...****, **** its still running. I stop it at 19:16. WTF have I done..a possible if unlikely Sub 19 and I didn't stop the clock....:mad: Then the mist starts to clear...it was a workout on the watch....the 5k will still be there...It is thankfully...Total time 19:16.2, Time from end of workout to stopping the watch 15.2...19:01! I'm thrilled with a virtual PB even if the screenshot on Strava wasn't enough to satisfy the chief adjudicator :pac::pac: Its something to work from. A quick cooldown and home to watch all the other times come in for the day. Out again for 3 miles a couple of hours later to flush out the legs.

It really was a great days entertainment. Well done to all who played their part.

Sunday 26th: I got out for a 90 minute 'long' run this morning. The legs felt grand after the TT. 10.9 miles @ 8:14. It ticked off what Garmin coach needed :)

You’ll get me back!!! Loved reading that S, as I said imagine if you didn’t run the pansy first mile.

• Advertisement

You’ll get me back!!! Loved reading that S, as I said imagine if you didn’t run the pansy first mile.

I might have died a death, collapsed in a heap, got up and done a cool down, stopped the watch after 42 mins but actually had my 5k time accepted :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I might have died a death, collapsed in a heap, got up and done a cool down, stopped the watch after 42 mins but actually had my 5k time accepted :pac::pac::pac::pac:

As Murph said, learn to use the watch correctly!!

As Murph said, learn to use the watch correctly!!

My screenshot very clearly shows my race time...Who cares anyway...19:13 it will be for the next handicap...every cloud...:D

My screenshot very clearly shows my race time...Who cares anyway...19:13 it will be for the next handicap...every cloud...:D

Can I take 17.40 as my 5k PB so cause that’s what Strava tells me and I ran it in a race?

Well done S, you deserve this after all your consistent training! Really happy for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Very impressive S; great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great running S and enjoyable read as always. Your consistent high mileage every week is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice running S. I've admired your patience in building up slowly over the past few months. It's great to see things back on track for you this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Super stuff S and so well deserved.

You have been a machine so far this year churning out savage mileage each and every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Incredible stuff Sean, very impressive.

After a few cans too :p

Cracking race report, seems you have a lot more in those legs too.

Advertisement