Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done S, you deserve this after all your consistent training! Really happy for you :)

Thanks! Trying to stay ahead of you has been a great motivator! :P
    Very impressive S; great stuff.

Thanks C, I didn't think I was in 19 shape but thrilled with it.
    Great running S and enjoyable read as always. Your consistent high mileage every week is impressive.

Cheers D. I suppose the higher mileage is a byproduct rather than a plan. I enjoy getting out and haven't been pushing the effort levels at all. It's easy to get out if you really enjoy the training. To that end I have been keeping things varied.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Nice running S. I've admired your patience in building up slowly over the past few months. It's great to see things back on track for you this year.

It is the one standout thing I have learned from Luke...build slowly. I'm in no hurry. I want to be a better runner, a runner who can have a good crack at any road race distance off a reasonably short period of distance specific training. I really related to a quote by Steve Magness recently..."Raise your floor, not your ceiling. You may not always be your best but you'll always be darned good".
    Super stuff S and so well deserved.

You have been a machine so far this year churning out savage mileage each and every week.

One of the advantages of old age and grown up children...plenty of time! :D
    Lazare wrote: »
    Incredible stuff Sean, very impressive.

After a few cans too :p

Cracking race report, seems you have a lot more in those legs too.

Only the 4 pack of Guinness on Friday night :pac: Yeah I'd have to say a few more races and I should knock a bit off that all going well

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Who would have thought the person who was complaining about people sandbagging before the TT ended up being one the main culprits :D:D

Seriously though S, great time in what seemed like a really controlled pace until the last mile. Congrats on the PB.

Imagine the time you would do in a pair of VFs......

Treviso wrote: »
    Who would have thought the person who was complaining about people sandbagging before the TT ended up being one the main culprits :D:D

Seriously though S, great time in what seemed like a really controlled pace until the last mile. Congrats on the PB.

Imagine the time you would do in a pair of VFs......

Touché :pac: I wish I could call it a PB but that needs a measured course. I'll just take it as an indicator that I'm not in bad shape.

As for the shoes. When Saucony and Asics release their new shoes I'll be very interested. Then again lots of the older lads who had the best pound for pound times weren't wearing them so I'll settle for chasing them down first... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    Can I take 17.40 as my 5k PB so cause that’s what Strava tells me and I ran it in a race?

No, you can’t, as you well know, and also why! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done Sean. I’m not surprised at the performance, and I’m not sure you are either. You seem to have been ‘on the way back from injury’ for well over a year now, since we were running the winter league in early 2019.

I suggest, sir, that you are cured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Murph_D wrote: »
    No, you can’t, as you well know, and also why! ;)

And I never would or will!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great run - well done !

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done Sean. I’m not surprised at the performance, and I’m not sure you are either. You seem to have been ‘on the way back from injury’ for well over a year now, since we were running the winter league in early 2019.

I suggest, sir, that you are cured.

Thanks D. Ah yes I'm feeling tiptop right now. I got a few months injury free last spring and up to the Dunshaughlin 10k. After that the hip got me and I did nothing but easy running for 5 months before taking the best part of a month off in November. Since then it has been a gradual but pleasing build up of fitness.

Monday 27th: A 40 minute recovery run to start off the week. 4.6 miles @ 8:41

Tuesday 28th: 75 minute easy run. 9.2 miles@ 8:12

Wednesday 29th: Session day....and I made a liathroidí of it. My plan was to do 6*1 mins @ 5:50-6:05 and 6*30 secs @ 4:50-5:05 all off 60 secs jogged recoveries. With the exception of the first one which was a bit slow the rest of the slower reps were bang on. At this point I made a rookie mistake, one which as was pointed out to me by more than one sneering comment :pac: Yes, even though I know the watch is unreliable for 30 sec reps I went chasing after it. I absolutely busted a gut on each repeat trying to get to within the required pace on the watch...not one of the first 5 managed it but I was fast getting into oxygen debt!! :mad::mad: One last effort on rep 6!! Leaving a trail of toxic sweat in my wake, straining every sinew in my body, a metallic taste in my mouth and legs burning like the fires of hell. 4:50 said the watch....I think it was sub 4 pace in truth :D Total gob****ery! :eek: Total incl w/u and c/d was 7.9 miles

Thursday 30th: Legs were in flitters, worse than I can remember in a long time.Tipped around at 9 min/mile pace for an hour trying to think up as many derogatory names to call myself for yesterday's carry on.

Friday 1st: There was a bit of feeling coming back into the legs but very easy jog again, less than an hour at 8:37 pace

Saturday 2nd: Tempo session. I saw Murph do this one during the week and it looked nice and interesting. It called for 10 mins @ MP, 10 @ HM and 5 @ 5k pace. I went reasonably aggressive with the paces which I based on a 3:13 full which I'd love to go for next (7:21), a 1:29 half which I will get before I die (6:48) and an 18:59 5k which is a touch faster than last weeks TT (6:07). It was a good tempo run until the last 5 mins...that got tough towards the end. Total incl VAT came to 8 miles.

Sunday 3rd: The last of a week of runs in fantastic weather for this time of year. Plan was for a 1hr & 40 mins run and the legs were feeling good. I was probably going a bit faster than I should have been but it felt fine in the most part. HR was a little bit high but I'll blame that on the heat and a few beers i had whilse watching Maze on telly last night. 12.4 miles @ 8:05

Needless to say all those runs were done within the 2k radius. Hopefully there is only one such run left, all goes right with the figures that matter over the next few weeks and the restriction doesn't have to be brought back. I have nearly 3/4s of the Park available to me from Tuesday and that's where I will be on Tuesday morning and every day for the next 2 weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I hope E isn't reading this.............. Effort E.... Effort!!

• Advertisement

Monday 4th: Recovery Run. 5.1 miles @ 9:23. Last run within the confines of the 2K radius. :)

Tuesday 5th: 9.2 miles @ 8:26. Finally back in the Park. I have about half of it available to me within my 5k radius, basically everything north of a line from Castleknock to Islandbridge gates. I made the most of it anyway getting in a lap of the 2 mile circuit, a lap of the polo grounds and plenty of trail thrown in. Loved it!!

Wednesday 6th: Session. Plan was for 20 mins @ HMP. I overcooked it a bit with pace ending up at 6:46 but nothing too bad. As with most of these types of runs I spent half of it cruising and half thinking I couldn't even run 5 miles at the pace never mind a half. Warm up and cooldown included it came to 7.6 miles.

Thursday 7th: 7.1 miles @ 8:29. Back to the Park. Easy miles including a bit on the Munich hills. I'm making a point of doing something on some of the twisty, up and down trails in the park every time I go over. I think the little drops/drags and the uneven ground are great for working muscles that never get worked on the road.

Friday 8th: 7.8 miles @ 8:56. 4th day in a row in the PP. Easy miles and more trails. I also threw in a few drills, something which I intend to slowly incorporate into my routine. These were done in a secluded wooded area to save embarrassment :pac::pac:

Saturday 9th: This day was a bit of a mixed bag. I have been trying to shoehorn the early stages of a Garmin HM plan into my normal running. It has worked ok to date but this one was tricky. I wanted to do some CV work but the HM plan was for 10 *20 sec strides. After a bit of thought I decided to do the 6*3 off 3 CV and then follow it with the strides. My aim in the strides, a little different to usual, was not to reach 85%ish pace but to really concentrate on improving turnover by getting the stride faster by working on getting the feet quickly to the ground rather than a loping stride. Hit all paces on the CV and the turnover work felt beneficial too. I passed the 1,000 mile for the year somewhere during the day.

Sunday 10th: 13.2 @ 8:20. Ran from home, a bit of the PP and home. Chillier day than of late and it got fairly windy. The run would definitely have been easier run in the opposite direction especially the stretch along the canal. Easy running all the way except for working at a slightly faster pace up the mile drag from The Royal Oak (long since gone) to Finglas village.

A very good week. I'm enjoying the variety in what I'm doing. It's not distance specific but nothing is going to waste. I have probably never enjoyed running as much :):) The only fly in the ointment is a persistent and annoying fooker on the TT thread :pac::pac::pac:

I think the fly might buzz off now and leave ye alone!!!

Aw it wouldn't be the same! :( Don't go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Awwwww :(

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Aw it wouldn't be the same! :( Don't go ;)

Ah no, I’ll say it here but deny it on the TT thread, sterling job being done by yourself, as for the other spoofer with you...... What’s his role??????

OOnegative wrote:
    Ah no, I’ll say it here but deny it on the TT thread, sterling job being done by yourself, as for the other spoofer with you...... What’s his role??????

Tweedle dee to his Tweedle dum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I’ll provide the fly killer...:)

TbL

Tweedle dee to his Tweedle dum

I seen you as more Harry Dunn to his Lloyd Christmas!!

OOnegative wrote:
    I seen you as more Harry Dunn to his Lloyd Christmas!!

Which one of them was Dumber? Your answer will determine if I'm insulted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on the 1000 miles S. Super consistent running to surpass it so early in the year.

• Advertisement

Monday 11th: Local recovery run. 4 miles @ 9:10

Tuesday 12th: 8 miles @ 8:28. A nice easy run up to Santry and Beaumont, both areas which had been off limits for the few weeks. Nothing exciting but there is something nice about getting back to the old routes.

Wednesday 13th: Back over to the Park for a session. A simple enough one, 3*5 mins @ CV followed by a 6*30 secs hard, minute easy. I took a long time to loosen out and after a couple of mins of the first rep I was probably still running at HM pace and not too comfortable with it. Woke up then and the rest of the CV work was bang on. The 30 sec bursts after are a great little blow out working on control and turnover. A tad short of 8 miles all in.

Thursday 14th: A few morelot of lockdown beers last night and I really was hanging. Back to work next Tuesday after 2 weeks holidays and it can't come soon enough! I wouldn't admit to a soul the number of beers being consumed nightly :o Had to call the run at a little over 45 mins...too much like hard work!! 5.6 miles @ 8:37

Friday 15th: Over to the Park for a third day in a row. 9 miles @ 8:28. The main aim of this was to get a few miles in on the trails. Great for working the smaller/unused/stability muscles and the uphill/downhill nature of the trails in places adds an almost fartlek element to it with effort rising and falling for most of it. Unfortunately I had to do a good bit of it on flattish ground but this will change once the 20km restriction comes in and the rest of the park opens up to me.

Saturday 16th: Another thing I'm trying to build into training is working at a good range of different paces. I remembered a grads plan session of 4,3,2 and 1 minutes working down from Threshold to AP with equal recoveries. I remembered it as one of the easier session so decided to do it twice. I was a bit unsure about it so erred towards the slower end of each pace on the first set. As it turned out it wasn't a problem and the second set were faster and comfortable/controlled. 9.5 miles all in.

Sunday 17th: 16.7 miles @ 8:34. For a bit of a change I headed east first on this one. Down to Donnycarney, Fairview, North Strand to the Custom House before heading back up the quays to the PP, the length of Chesterfield and back home via the canal. It was my first time in town since lockdown and after reading many reports I expected it to be a lot more quiet. Obviously no business open but lots of people milling about and not a lot of social distancing.

The plan is to keep going as is in terms of training with nothing really distance specific. I am working the day of the TT. I might give it a lash after work but traffic, both pedestrian and vehicular, may be a problem. That's ignoring the fact that I will have been up at 3am to go to work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

regarding the TT - could you not have a chat with the organiser about being a bit more flexible with the dates.
    Maybe ask him if you can do it over the weekend of Fri-Sun.

Be careful with him though, I heard he's a grumpy fu*k*r.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I was more thinking it was a case of dictatorship do as I say don't do as I do (by bailing on the TT).

regarding the TT - could you not have a chat with the organiser about being a bit more flexible with the dates.

That's a terrible thing to say about P in fairness. He's not a bad lad :D

No, I wouldn't seek special dispensation. One of the enjoyable aspects to the 5k TT was having all the times coming in on the one day. Anyway I'm working all weekend :pac:

Just for the record, I would have let you do it A.........

OOnegative wrote:
    Just for the record, I would have let you do it A.........

If we gave A that flexibility we'd have six different times to analyse.

I was letting you run the Sunday of the 5k TT weekend to........

OOnegative wrote:
    I was letting you run the Sunday of the 5k TT weekend to........

I could sense your virtual annoyance so I put you ahead of my very important family time so as you wouldn't be mad at me.................. Lol

Ok....I'm a bit mixed up :confused: Was A not suggesting that I do it another day over the weekend?

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ok....I'm a bit mixed up :confused: Was A not suggesting that I do it another day over the weekend?

He was, I’m just twisting the story to suit my agenda. Keep up old man.......

Advertisement