Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:
    Ok....I'm a bit mixed up Was A not suggesting that I do it another day over the weekend?

Yeah and I reckon if we told A he could do it Friday Sat or Sun he'd do six runs and pick the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Yeah and I reckon if we told A he could do it Friday Sat or Sun he'd do six runs and pick the best.

Now there's a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Monday 18th: My now weekly plod reset. 5.3 miles @ 9:28. I know that regeneration runs should be longer but now that I'm running every day I feel that in the long term it's of much more benefit to let the body switch off on a run at least once a week.

Tuesday 19th: 8.5 miles @ 8:13. Yes its much faster than my usual easy runs but it's something I want to incorporate into training. While I have long been an advocate of Tinman's paces calculator, and will continue to be so for session paces, I also cannot disregard HR readings. My easy runs to now have pretty much all been in the recovery range based on HR. I want to move one a week into Zone 2 which is 129-141 bpm. This run averaged 133 so I was happy with that. It felt more like moderate/steady though. I guess it's a case of getting used to it.

Wednesday 20th: 7.1 miles @ 9:01. Nice easy jog around the locality.

Thursday 21st: Session. Just something to get a bit of speed going on. 10 mins @ 5k pace and then 5*20 second pick ups to mile pace off 40 secs recovery. It was tough enough but felt great afterwards.

Friday 22nd: A morning of 2 parts. J had a club one mile TT to do and asked for a pacer. Her target was 6:45-6:50 and she got it done in 6:46. It's not where she'd like to be but some recent injuries have set her back a bit. After that it was a nice 8.4 miles @ 8:37 in the Phoenix Park. A new pair of Asics Novablast made their maiden voyage and were very comfortable....more to follow....

Saturday 23rd: Session, and a bit of experimentation. I had been reading a bit about sandwiching some threshold work either side of a 'speed' session and the idea seemed interesting. I settled on doing 2*3 mins off 3 mins either side of some short and sharp 30 and 60 seconds reps. I didn't program paces for the threshold into the watch and went by feel. I was very happy to see afterwards that they were pretty much at the pace they should be.

Sunday 24th: 14.3 miles @ 8:31. A long run after 2 days of 4am-2pm shifts. I had an hour of a lie down before heading out for it. A cracking sunny afternoon so I ran towards the PP. The crowds of people lounging around the Wellington monument was staggering. I thought the rules were that we are allowed travel 5k was for exercise....lying on your arse for hours isn't exercise in my world. That put me in bad form and resulted in a few cyclists who hadn't realised that the old cycle lanes in the park are now for walkers/runners getting a lot of arm waving and the odd verbal encouragement to get off the fookin path ;)

That was the week that was. What did I get from it? Well the Novablast looks like it might be Asics most popular shoe in years. After a few runs it seems like a good all rounder, well able to handle a bit of pace and very comfortable on a long run...the negatives are that I'd still pick the Gliderides for a long run and the Evorides for tempo type work. The Gliderides really are a spectacular long/easy run shoe. I think the Novablast might be better for the faster stuff than the Evoride...time will tell.

I also learned that I need to settle on recovery/very easy/easy paces. My fitness has improved quite a bit but those paces might be a bit on the leisurely side recently.

My next take from the week is that Strava is not the place for posting pilates/yoga/meditation. Straight to Stravawankers along with those who record car washing and gardening...Do it by all means but Jesus it's pointless putting it on Strava..:D

And lastly...the TT. Thankfully I got the day off so I'll give it a lash. After 3*60 mile weeks next week will be a step back week but not a taper. I'll just see how the cookie crumbles on the day.

Until next time...T'rah

skyblue46 wrote:
    And lastly...the TT. Thankfully I got the day off so I'll give it a lash. After 3*60 mile weeks next week will be a step back week but not a taper. I'll just see how the cookie crumbles on the day.

Woooohooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Woooohooooo

Awwww that's cute:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I wore the Novablasts for a little trot there for the first time. I found them extremely comfortable and bouncy. Nice one that your off now on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote: »
    My next take from the week is that Strava is not the place for posting pilates/yoga/meditation. Straight to Stravawankers along with those who record car washing and gardening...Do it by all means but Jesus it's pointless putting it on Strava..:D

I started putting all my supplementary stuff on private but very tempted to make it public again just to annoy you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I started putting all my supplementary stuff on private but very tempted to make it public again just to annoy you :pac:

Nearly start doing it myself for the same reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The exercise bike is ok though, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I log all that stuff on Strava but keep it private :)

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nearly start doing it myself for the same reason!!

Thankfully there is an Unfollow button. :pac::pac::pac: Seriously, between supplementary stuff and people joining challenges you can't see the wood for the trees on Strava these days.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The exercise bike is ok though, right? :)

Ah yeah, sure it's for cycling too :D

MY BAD wrote: »
    I log all that stuff on Strava but keep it private :)

MYBAD becomes MYHERO :)

Let it be clearly said, anyone counting walks to the toilet in their overall mileage for the year are #stravawankers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Forgive the stupid question but what's a regeneration run?
    Never knew you could do this!

eyrie wrote: »
    Forgive the stupid question but what's a regeneration run?

To be honest I'm not using the term in its correct context, more as a way of identifying the run if I ever look back at my training. It's my version of Kipchoge and his ilk doing 8 minute mile runs. It doesn't even reach recovery heart rate for me. I'm just getting the blood flowing with as little stress on the body after the weekend which is normally the heaviest couple of days training. For this reason I don't do much more than 30 mins. It's probably closer to what a recovery run is but I describe it differently because most people just label another easy run as a recovery run.

https://www.highperformancerunner.com/featured/shakeout-recovery-regeneration/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Interesting! I'd never heard the term before. Definitely not something I need at the moment but good to know about for the future. Every day's a school day ;)

If I've a early race I find doing a 15 minute shakeout before breakfast very beneficial. Some people can go from zero to one hundred in the morning for races or sessions I'm not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

My personal favourite is the skiing activities when people are on holidays. I know there's a skiing profile on the watch, doesn't mean you have to post it to Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

healy1835 wrote: »
    My personal favourite is the skiing activities when people are on holidays. I know there's a skiing profile on the watch, doesn't mean you have to post it to Strava.

:D
    Ever tried a Ski Erg?

Or cross country skiing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Ya ain't injured are ya S?

So where was I?

Well what was initially diagnosed as mild plantar fasciitis became impossible to walk on at times, never mind run. The last run, the one which was the straw that broke the camel's back was on the 9th of June. After that I bit the bullet and went for physio. Despite their initial optimism no improvement followed. The rest of June passed without any further running. July followed a similar pattern with the grand total of 7 miles logged over 3 test runs each of which began and ended in some degree of pain.

At this point I was put in touch with someone who was looking for people with PF to take part in a case study. It simply involved me running for 15/20 mins twice a week to be done in bare feet on grass. This led to me running 23 miles in August and 13 miles in the first half of September before I had to abandon a run after 400 metres unable to take any weight on the foot. To say that I was totally demoralised at this point is an understatement.

I then took 3 weeks off to see if total rest would help. Thankfully it seemed to and I began doing a couple of miles a few times a week. Since then I have built mileage up a bit. I have to say I am not enjoying it. The fear of a relapse brings more trepidation than a run brings enjoyment. The last couple of weeks have only had one run as I back off at the first hint of a niggle...

What next? I suppose all I can do is learn as I go along. I have been guilty of doing things that I would call others out for. The result...each time I build a great engine but the body can't take the strain. Aerobically/Cardio/respiratory wise I get in PB shape but the musculoskeletal frame has been put under too much pressure. I'll probably have to start practicing what I preach to others haha.

As with last year my only goal will be Amsterdam Marathon. This year I will avoid putting 1 mile and 5k sessions in the middle of high mileage weeks in an effort to kill two birds with one stone. That is a long way away though. Right now I'm 10kg above what I weighed in May and struggling to run for one hour at 9.30 pace ðŸ™႒

If all goes to plan I will invest in a pair of cheat shoes this year but not before I run a 1 mile or 5k PB in non trampoline shoes.

All the best of wishes to everyone for '21. I sincerely hope it brings everything you hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fcuk me there’s more Lazurus’s around these parts than the Bible :)

Best of luck with it, I know more than most how depressing it can be.

Stick with it and get a couple of different opinions sometimes it’s not the obvious causing the issue

TbL

Good to see you back S. Your contributions have been missed the past while.

Sorry to hear that the injury woes continue. Plantar is a tough one. Seems like it's a bit of a black art in resolving it with people having mixed degrees of success. Sounds like the motivation is still there which is half the battle though.

Sorry to hear about your continued woes. I can relate to a lot of what have said above. All the best with your recovery and getting back to fitness again.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great to see you back S. Really hope you can get back to some consistent running this year. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Some great “massage” places here that can sort you out........ oh it’s not that kind of sorting out!!!!

Slowly does it S and you’ll get there, you’ve been through the wringer with that PF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck with the recovery S, as a fellow PF sufferer, I feel your pain. As far as I can figure out, you have to find the 'golden' set of stretches and exercises that work for you and there are tons out there. Strength training also helps a lot. Happy new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I feel your pain. Almost literally with foot woes. Feel like I'm running on thin ice these days.

Not quite 10kg because a rowing machine stemmed the flow of surplus kcals.

Also will not buy a pair of cheat shoes until I PR in 5 or 10k with old school (2019!) non trampoline shoes.

Will follow with interest. Hope 2021 improves for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

It simply involved me running for 15/20 mins twice a week to be done in bare feet on grass.

And there was you rinsing me last year for doing this :P:P

Sorry to hear about the injury woes S but great to see you back posting here, you were missed. If you need any advice on the trampoline shoes, we have a few experts around here

Advertisement